Thread: Is this normal for a typical day of primal eating? page

the_puma is offline Junior Member

Is this normal for a typical day of primal eating?

Primal Fuel
    Hey guys,

so I am feeling better eating primal, cheating is less tempting, food tastes better and I am craving carbs and sweets less. All that is good... but I am wondering about whether I'm eating too much or too little, it's so hard to tell because I have some stomach issues and they often mislead me into thinking I'm hungry when in fact I am full (which results in me feeling sick after overeating).

So, this is a typical day for me:

Breakfast - coconut milk shake (1 cup Silk "True Coconut" drink, scoop of whey isolate, tbsp. cocoa powder, tsp. raw honey, vanilla extract) --> this is a usual thing because I often don't have a lot of time

Then some pu-erh or mate tea (I can't drink coffee more than once a week) and a couple of squares (20g?) or 75-85% chocolate.

Lunch - can of tuna with mayo and celery, 1/2 an avocado OR 2 eggs and some bacon or gluten and nitrite free roast beef (smaller serving because of high sodium)

Again, tea (white or mate) and a couple of pieces of chocolate. Sorry... that's my weakness it's less than 6g of carbs per serving and so good!

*sometimes I have some nuts in between here or a piece of cheese

Dinner - chicken salad (olive oil mayo, apple cider vinegar, a bit of raw honey, chicken thighs), sauteed veggies with butter, garlic and a bit of parmesan OR a couple of chicken thighs (skin off) either in a stew like the PB cookbook fennel stew and 1/2 an avocado again or mashed cauliflower.

*often I will have an after dinner snack in the form of an apple and some nuts (about 1/4 cup)

Does that sound normal or is that too much?

Thanks in advance!!! I feel bad too cause I had a long weekend away and a couple of days of straight work and no time to work out... gotta get back on that cause my usual is 4-5 days/week.
    Last edited by the_puma; 08-29-2012 at 08:33 PM.

Primal123 is offline Senior Member
    First off I think it depends on how you feel and if your weight and muscle mass are where you want them to be or are shifting in the direction you want them to be shifting.

Next: I am no expert but it seems like a lot of snacking and a lot of sweets. Personally, I find if I eat bigger meals I don't snack so I only eat 2 or three meals a day. I'd lay off the chocolate twice a day and eat more at lunch so you don't need to snack. I am sure there are others who have been at this longer who could provide better insight.

chrisay59 is offline Member
    I'm no expert either, and like you I'm new to the Primal/Paleo lifestyle, but as with Primal123 that is quite a bit of "snacking", you don't say what type of nuts you are chomping, and also no mention of your lifestyle, i.e. what exercise do you do, perhaps the forum could answer better if you gave us some more information...just a thought! Good luck with the lifestyle anyway though! No one said it would be easy!!!!

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    I'd definitely cut out that Silk "True Coconut" crap. Look at the ingredients - it's coconut milk + sugar + "natural flavor" + engineered vitamins. That stuff is not coconut milk. Buy the stuff from a can or make your own from a real coconut. The fact you're adding honey to it just adds more sugary carbs to your morning meal and very very little fat.

Is the mayo you're using home-made? If it's store bought, you have a 90% chance that it's mostly canola/corn/etc. oil, which isn't primal. Even the "olive oil mayo" that the big names produce has canola oil as its first or second ingredient.

And, I agree with the first comment - it looks like you're eating a lot of sugar. Honey, that fake coconut "milk", chocolate, more chocolate, etc. (If you want to give it a try, I recommend the 21-Day Sugar Detox. I'm in the middle of it and it really does reprogram your taste buds and brain to not want or need sweets as much as you usually crave them.)

Read the ingredients of the pre-made food you're buying ("milk", chocolate, mayo, cocoa, etc.) and see how much sugar and bad carbs you're ingesting. If you love carbs like many of us, go for nutrient-rich carbs like sweet potato or squash. If you must have breakfast first thing in the morning (I realized after listening to my body that I actually don't need to eat until like 11am!) you can make lots of quick stuff that isn't some sugary smoothie. Put two eggs in a bowl and microwave on 1-minute intervals or until cooked to your liking and eat them with a few nuts and sliced veggies. It takes less than 10 minutes to make and eat. Leftovers are my favorite "first meal". I portion out my leftovers and just grab one on the way to work. Earlier this week, for instance, I ate leftover chicken, peppers and eggplant with a coconut curry sauce... at 10:45am... and made my coworkers really confused!
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Agreed with MissJecka on the coconut milk, mayo, and sugar issues.

Depending on your goals, you may want to opt for larger meals and cut out snacking altogether. This may mean forgoing breakfast, if you don't have time for real food.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).