Thread: Pumpkin Pie page

SarahW is offline Senior Member

Pumpkin Pie

Primal Fuel
    So, from my grass-fed animal order I got a quart of goat's yogurt. It kinda got me stumped, since it is not very thick but very goaty. I got it to try to branch off from cow dairy (which doesn't seem to agree with me very well, and which I don't like very much anyways), but...maybe I won't branch into goat yogurt again. But I had it in my fridge and didn't want to toss it, so I cruised the internet until I found this recipe, Yogurt Pumpkin Pie from cooks.com: Cooks.com - Recipe - Yogurt Pumpkin Pie

Making it primal I:
    3 beaten eggs - check
    2 cups cooked pumpkin - I used a can of shady canned pumpkin puree I got on clearance at Winn-Dixie a few months ago
    1-1/2 cups plain kefir or yogurt - I used the goat's yogurt
    3/4 cup maple syrup - the real stuff, obviously
    2 tablespoons Myer's dark rum - yes! Though on my liquor shelf was not Myer's but Dominican, not sure of a difference???
    1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice - concocted my own, but yes
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla - yes
    pinch of salt - yes
    1 pie crust (bottom) - obviously no

If using fresh pumpkin, drain in cheesecloth to remove excess liquid.
    In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine ingredients (other than pie crust).

Pour filling into an 8-inch pie crust.

Bake at 425F for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350F and allow to bake until custard sets (about 1 hour more).

I poured the mix into four custard pots and baked for a while while dinner roasted.

I made whipped cream using the recipe here: Basic Agave Vanilla Whipped Cream Recipe – fun quick and easy summer dessert ideas . I know agave isn't primal-approved, but I had it in my pantry and the result...wasn't bad. Not very sweet, just sweet enough, which was nice.

The pie, however, was slightly acidic. I think it was just a combination of the yogurt + real maple syrup + rum (from the Dominican Republic?) + shady canned pumpkin that caused it. But I'm curious about how to solve this if I make it again, other than adding sugar, of course. Another egg? Something that alkanizes the yogurt slightly? Just get used to tart pumpkin pie?

Obviously, this isn't a daily treat. I only made it to use up the goat yogurt and the can of pumpkin. But I think the recipe has promise, and some might find it useful this fall.

Paysan is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Fwiw, goaty tasting milk suggests either the goats are a bit compromised healthwise, or sanitation isn't 100%. Or else been into the wrong weeds. If you make it again, using the same ingredients, add a small pinch of baking soda to the mix.

While I think of it, winter squash makes a great pumpkin pie, being sweeter with more solids than real pumpkin. I used to make squash pie with a glass crust (casserole dish), with just a couple eggs, spice and enough milk of any kind in my blender to pour into the dish. A sprinkle of cinnamon , nutmeg or pumpkin pie spice on top came out lovely.
    Last edited by Paysan; 09-03-2012 at 04:09 PM.