Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The many uses of coconut oil page

honeybuns is offline Senior Member

The many uses of coconut oil

Waterproofing my hiking boots~they are as soft as glove leather now!
    Conditioning the stiffened, starting to crack leather seats in the car~supple once again
    Lubing the moving parts of my greenhouse vent fan.
    Oiling a maple branch for use as a hiking stick.

I've heard you can even cook with it!
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Oiling my wooden salad bowl sets. And I once used it as a hair pomade - I have really independent hair, even tho it is straight (tons of cowlicks all over) and use some kind of grease to give it a little polish and just happened to be in the kitchen, showered, and too lazy to go upstairs for the usual goop.

Primal123 is offline Senior Member
    I use it to wash my face and moisturize. Treat a sunburn. I have oiled my hair with it for a deep condition.

Ellen is offline Member
    I hear you can mix it with baking soda and arrowroot powder (or non-GMO cornstarch) for a super awesome "Man-scent killer" deodorant. Haven't tried it yet, but I plan to see if it works on my husband's man-scent (and my own lady-scent).

Check it: Easy Homemade Deodorant That Really WORKS!!! « The Mommypotamus The Mommypotamus

B2B
    B2B is offline Senior Member
    It is just not for my coffee anymore! I also use it as a skin moisturizer.
    “Life is a journey, not a destination.”
    ― Ralph Waldo Emerson

SW (January 2011): 208.5
    LPW (March 23, 2013): 156.0
    CW (July, 4, 2013): 172

chrisay59 is offline Member
    Coconut a marval of mother nature! Not many things you can't do with it!

SarahW is offline Senior Member
    Seconded for use in hair. I have ultra-fine medium-length hair that is sort of wavy and live in high humidity. I used to put about three different products in my hair, a john freida serum for the ends, a mouse for the roots, and then no-frizz (100% silicone) over the top to keep it all smooth. Within a few hours my hair was always fluffy-ratty and the ends were super dry. I'd have to comb my hair multiple times a day to keep it from turning into a nest. A friend who is a hairstylist told me that I should probably just get a keratin treatment.

I started using coconut oil in my hair - about a tablespoon worth, starting at the ends and then working my way up. No frizz or poufyness, the ends are much better, and I do not need to comb my hair, ever. I just finger-comb when dry. I feel like an infomercial talking about it, but the results actually are amazing.

I've also used it as a body moisturizer. The key is to remember that a little goes a long way. Seems greasy at first, but after a few minutes that goes away. Doesn't irritate my sensitive skin. Last week I went back to using my fancy Olay body lotion because I had a bit left in the bottle, and the skin on my back broke out terribly. Ugh.

I keep a tub of LouAna's in the bathroom (with the Nutiva reserved for the kitchen). Easier to make sure that I don't cook with something that might have hair in it, and I'd rather spend the $15 I save on more meat to eat. And it doesn't make me smell like a pina colada.

Never heard of the deodorant use. I will have to check that out. My husband's under-arm glands swell up after he uses regular stick deodorant, so we're experimenting with milk of magnesium right now. I think it works well, even in the tropics, though it's sort of runny.

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    oh so many uses...

ciavyn is offline Senior Member
    Oo, I can't wait to try some of these. I bought some cheap coconut oil at the Indidan grocery last week. While I won't make a habit out of it (I have Nutiva on autoship from Amazon), it occured to me that it is perfect for other uses -- cooking for groups when they are not primal, medicinal uses, hair, oiling, lotions...For 4 bucks for 16 oz, you can't go wrong.

unsuperb is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    I hear you can mix it with baking soda and arrowroot powder (or non-GMO cornstarch) for a super awesome "Man-scent killer" deodorant. Haven't tried it yet, but I plan to see if it works on my husband's man-scent (and my own lady-scent).

Check it: Easy Homemade Deodorant That Really WORKS!!! « The Mommypotamus The Mommypotamus
    It does work! I made some last week out of boredom (and nothing else works) and have been shocked by how well it has been working. I can skip a day of re-applying and not gross myself out (which, previously, if I didn't reapply every six hours or so, I had gross b.o. stench mixed with whatever awful fragrance was in the deodorant).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast