Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 26 of 26

Thread: Getting a "dancer's physique" rather than a CrossFit/weightlifter's one? page 3

  1. #21
    Leida's Avatar
    Leida is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    5,800
    Shop Now
    I just wanted to show you the difference heavy lifting made for me. The weight is about the same in both pics.

    The first 3 pics show me after boot-camps cardio, as I was going from 138 to 128 to 118 lbs. Note how thin I am becoming up top, while legs do not change. If you are into the shape like this, I did boot-camps and cardio to get there. I started my day with combined L2 and L3 from the Gillian Michael's 30 Day Shred or at least L2, lol. I cardio-boxed. I ran 3 to 4 times a week. And I taught lunch-time fitness classes. I lifted 10 to 20 lbs dumbbells for 15 to 20 reps, 3 sets, normally in every way Jillian could suggest.

    The second pics are heavy weight lifting. I started with 5 lifts. I do a bit more now, adding support with DBs and KBs. Dunno if it shows, but upper body is evening out while legs are actually firming up. I do not have the dribble over quad, though still quad-heavy and need to work on losing BF to make upper leg more firm. I am about to get really sick in the first pic and I am doing pretty good in the second pic. I exercise 3+ hours a day in the first. I train about 1.5 hour a day on average in the second. Note, how my figure is distinctively pear in the first pic, and more hourglass, more balanced in the second picture. Also, I have actually lost a distinctive collar bone rift.

    And, yeah, I lift 25 lbs when I do inclined bench with dumbells atm, 40 lbs on the back row. I swing 25 to 55 lbs KBs. I squat over body weight (155 lbs is my best), I pressed 90 lbs on a flat bench, I can lift 69 lbs overhead. That's pretty modest for a gal of my weight (about 120-125 lbs), I am not athletically gifted or have a good body to build upon. And, my husband is not exactly a pro at photographing, LOLZ!


    Last edited by Leida; 08-31-2012 at 09:53 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

  2. #22
    cayla29s's Avatar
    cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    456
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    I just wanted to show you the difference heavy lifting made for me. The weight is about the same in both pics.

    The first 3 pics show me after boot-camps cardio, as I was going from 138 to 128 to 118 lbs. Note how thin I am becoming up top, while legs do not change. If you are into the shape like this, I did boot-camps and cardio to get there. I started my day with combined L2 and L3 from the Gillian Michael's 30 Day Shred or at least L2, lol. I cardio-boxed. I ran 3 to 4 times a week. And I taught lunch-time fitness classes. I lifted 10 to 20 lbs dumbbells for 15 to 20 reps, 3 sets, normally in every way Jillian could suggest.

    The second pics are heavy weight lifting. I started with 5 lifts. I do a bit more now, adding support with DBs and KBs. Dunno if it shows, but upper body is evening out while legs are actually firming up. I do not have the dribble over quad, though still quad-heavy and need to work on losing BF to make upper leg more firm. I am about to get really sick in the first pic and I am doing pretty good in the second pic. I exercise 3+ hours a day in the first. I train about 1.5 hour a day on average in the second. Note, how my figure is distinctively pear in the first pic, and more hourglass, more balanced in the second picture. Also, I have actually lost a distinctive collar bone rift.

    And, yeah, I lift 25 lbs when I do inclined bench with dumbells atm, 40 lbs on the back row. I swing 25 to 55 lbs KBs. I squat over body weight (155 lbs is my best), I pressed 90 lbs on a flat bench, I can lift 69 lbs overhead. That's pretty modest for a gal of my weight (about 120-125 lbs), I am not athletically gifted or have a good body to build upon.


    Thanks for sharing your progress pics. You know for some reason it is really hard to convince many women that lifting heavy can dramatically improve their body composition. I got complimented the other day at my gym by an overweight guy how lean I look and he did not say skinny. I think there is a difference between being lean and skinny. He started asking me what I ate and I told him about the paleo diet.

    I honestly credit weight lifting for making me look strong and fit. I would say it takes me 45 min to complete my lifting sometimes even 30 min depending on what I'm doing. I do HIIT 2 x a week and one running at a steady pace just because I enjoy doing this.

  3. #23
    Leida's Avatar
    Leida is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    5,800
    Hi Cayla, I see the difference between the women on the treadmills and those who lift every day in the gym! Firm comes with lifting particularly when you are in your late 30'ies and had a child, like me. And it takes lots of patience. There is a HUGE difference between skinny and lean! I noticed that people now use word 'fit' to compliment me rather than 'skinny' even though I have a long way to go yet.

    My current regimen when maintaining is 4 lifting sessions a week (~ 45 min to 1 hr), 1 sprint (grass in the summer, pool in the winter) - that's ~30 min. One HIIT (~ 35 min with w-up and cool down) if I feel recovered enough. Mostly I skip it, lol! But do build in 1 or 2 kettlebell moves into every one of my lifting workouts because I love KBs so much. When I try to lose fat, I add 20 min SS after each lift.

    I also stroll, play and garden to my heart's content whenever I feel like it. And try to stretch/meditate at least 10-20 min a day. If somebody told me back in my crazed cardio day that I would consider a stretch to be more beneficial for my health than a jogg, I'd have to gather my jaw off the floor....
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

  4. #24
    Clymb's Avatar
    Clymb is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    827
    I didn't read through all the replies, but I think that it's a combo of doing the certain activity plus your body type that will determine how you look. Personally, I don't lift much anymore because I ALWAYS get too big (yet I keep trying to make it work anyways). The only way I've stayed lean without starving is eating primal (without overeating), and yes, rock climbing. I love ballet, but it bulked me up as well. My lower half just bulks up really easily. Experiment and see what works. I'm actually one of the bigger (as far as bone structure) climber girls, but I also have more muscle. I have pics on my page that might help illustrate--but everyone will look slightly different just depending on their body type.

  5. #25
    Kharnath's Avatar
    Kharnath is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    278
    Quote Originally Posted by Clymb View Post
    I don't lift much anymore because I ALWAYS get too big [...] I love ballet, but it bulked me up as well. My lower half just bulks up really easily.
    Hehe... oh, wait. You're serious? Let me laugh even harder.

    HAHAHAHA!

  6. #26
    Clymb's Avatar
    Clymb is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    827
    Quote Originally Posted by Kharnath View Post
    Hehe... oh, wait. You're serious? Let me laugh even harder.

    HAHAHAHA!
    Laugh all you want, nothing makes me go up a pants size faster than lifting. Perhaps you or others wouldn't think I look bad (if you like thunder thighs), but to me it's very unappealing.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •