Thread: Autism and maternal inflammation page

LauraSB is offline Senior Member

Autism and maternal inflammation

Primal Fuel
    Has this article been discussed here? I didn't turn anything up with a search.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/26/op...?_r=2&emc=eta1
    I got a little bit of deja vu, back to the poor mother again, but it seems like the number of health issues caused by chronic inflammation is piling up.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Goldie is offline Senior Member

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LauraSB View Post
    Has this article been discussed here? I didn't turn anything up with a search.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/26/op...?_r=2&emc=eta1
    I got a little bit of deja vu, back to the poor mother again, but it seems like the number of health issues caused by chronic inflammation is piling up.
    I haven't seen it discussed here. It is interesting, isn't it?

Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride has suggested a link between gut dysbiosis in the mother (and says it can begin with the grandmother). I'm sure that's been aired here before.

It comes to much the the same thing I suppose. Well, except this is, if it understand it right, emphasizing in utero damage of the developing fetus via the inflammatory response in the mother. Whereas Dr. Campbell-McBride emphasizes trying to correct the gut flora in the child -- with which she claims some success.

The article says:

YET when you consider that, as a whole, diseases of immune dysregulation have increased in the past 60 years — and that these disorders are linked to autism — the question seems a little moot. The better question is: Why are we so prone to inflammatory disorders? What has happened to the modern immune system?
    This is the question, isn't it? The article is strongly in favor of "the hygiene hypothesis".

Is it "cleanliness" as such or a case of antibiotic overuse? I doubt (ordinary) soap and water is doing much harm.

Then I suppose there are a host of other things like inflammatory diets (not mentioned), endocrine disrupters in the water supply, lack of sleep, light pollution while we sleep, low vitamin D status, on account people have been panicked about going out in the sun, and doubtless much else.