Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High blood sugar on LCHF menu page

valmason01 is offline Senior Member

High blood sugar on LCHF menu

Hoping to get some ideas. Since going low carb/high fat back in April my blood sugar both fasting and post meal has slowly gone down. It was at the point that there was no difference directly before and one hour after a meal and was below 100. It is now consistently above 100 and raised after a meal (same meals I have had before with no change). i am on metformin and have a goal of getting off of them. My weight loss has also stalled. Ideas, thoughts, please...?
    You know all those things you have always wanted to do? You should go do them.

Nah.. I was always aware "they" were out to get me.. even before I became Primal..... Now I can just run faster if they find me-Dino Hunter

Age 46
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    Normal blood sugar levels.

85 and under for fasting
    Less than 140 1 hour after eating
    Less than 120 2 hours after eating
    Back to fasting 3 hours after eating

Being type II means mine are not normal to begin with They are high in the morning, fasting, somewhere between 120-130 since going lchf and then go down as the day goes on. Average has been around 100 before dinner and the same one hour after. Now though, they are a good 10-20 points higher.

Nah.. I was always aware "they" were out to get me.. even before I became Primal..... Now I can just run faster if they find me-Dino Hunter

Age 46
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

And I am eating no more than 30 grams of carbs a day, most days less than 20.

Age 46
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

No, you should ALWAYS shoot for the normal numbers. I am also a T2D. It's not ok to have higher numbers, no matter how many times the diabetes assiociation tells you it's ok.

If you're eating less carbs, are you replacing them with more protein? That could be the problem. More fat, not more protein in the absence of carbs. You can only handle so much protein before it starts affecting your blood sugar in a negative way.

hmmm....good question Lily Marie. I will have to try to figure that. Off the top of my head no but now I am not sure. The one thing I have changed is breakfast is pure protein. Normally a hunk of cheese and an organic beef hot dog. Before that when I first get up two cups of coffee w/ HWC, coconut oil and stevia. Lunch a salad w/ cheese and a boiled egg. Supper a meat and veggie. I still crave a snack after supper. The last week it has been bacon, tonight an MIM w/ flax meal and almond meal. I have increased my butter as a fat as well as cream cheese. Cook in coconut oil or butter, pour it over everything and use EVOO on my salads.

Age 46
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

Don't forget that things like cream cheese, regular cheese and almond meal all have carbs.

It kinda looks like you're taking in a lot of protein(can't tell how much by your description) and the after dinner snack probably isn't helping. You're either not eating enough during the day, or you're just eating out of habit.

I get into trouble when I start eating cheese regularly. The carbs and dairy add up fast. (I LOVE cheese )

Dairy spikes your blood sugar because of the lactose in it - so maybe find more meat sources instead of dairy sources for your protein.

Use a website like Cron-o-meter to track how much you're eating to get an idea of what your intake is. You'll need a kitchen scale too.

Daydreamer is offline Senior Member
    Hm, Cheese doesn't have lactose in it, it's purely Fat & Proteins...
    Young self-caring Paleo-eater from France.
    (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

Cheese is not carb free, just low carb(per package serving). Remember, they don't have to say there's any in there if it's under 1 gram per serving. Aged cheese has less lactose. Most types of cheese in the store aren't aged long, so it does have lactose.

Daydreamer is offline Senior Member
    "Most cheeses are lactose free. 98% of the lactose is drained out with the whey and the remaining 2% is consumed in the fermentation process. So most hard or aged cheeses do not contain lactose and can be eaten with abandon by those who are intolerant."

Here, in France, I can guarantee you that our aged cheeses are carb free hehe

But yeah it's a different story for cream cheese or cottage cheese that's for certain
    Young self-caring Paleo-eater from France.
    (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast