Page 1 of 275 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal **Greensprout** page

Greensprout is offline Senior Member

Red face Primal Journal **Greensprout**

Primal Fuel
    So here I am with 3 weeks into PB living. So far so good.

About me: Age 42 (as of last week), wife, mom of 2 teen boys, height 5'6". Weight and fitness level have been up and down pretty much all of my adult life. Currently doing pretty good and getting better. Was 125 lb when I went off to basic officer training at age 17, actually gained 12 lbs in 7 weeks...lots of physical exertion, stress, little sleep, minimal time to gulp down as much food as we could fit in, and so on. Then off to 4 years of university, where I found myself hovering in the high 130s, depending on how much exercising/partying I was doing. Gained maybe 10 more first year working. Discovered weight training, got pretty lean, lost some fat. Started dating current hubby, cooked a lot together, got married, continued to enjoy lots of good food and libations, exercising off and on. Once did a trial of 4 months meatless because it was "healthier"...intense beef cravings. Never trying that again! Fast forward to early 30s...2 young kids, continued shiftwork, more sporadic exercise, trying to eat healthy a la CW, weight 185 lb. Started Tae Kwon Do with 5 year old son, and headed to weight watchers and running. Lost 40 lb, gained some, lost some, ran 2 half marathons. Weight continued up and (less often) down until a year ago, hitting 164 last Jan after indulging and being lazy after a tour in Afghanistan (I'm a nurse). Decided enough was enough. Hit the gym, more "healthy" low fat, high carb eating. Discovered IF, and was starting to see benefits. Knee surgery (meniscus tear) a year ago, continued CW "healthy" eating (plus high fat snacks...), and although post op recovery was good, it was a while to get back into heavy workouts. Did a 3 month program Sep-Dec of an intense bodyweight program, with great results in strength, flexibility, and fat loss. 133 lbs (approx 18%BF) heading off to a holiday cruise. Returned a few pounds up...but had picked up the PB book while away, having poked around MDA for a bit. Then ended up deployed in Haiti for 6 weeks, minimal workout opportunities and only rations for eating (oh yea, lots of highly processed carbs). Got home, read PB, and got onboard.

Progress so far: Eliminated grains, starchy carbs, lots (but not all) dairy, decreased fruit. Working out. Hubby on board, eating what I give him, hasn't had time to read the PB book yet, so not sure about all the fats (he's on lipitor for mildly elevated cholesterol and strong family history of cardiac disease). He's lost 10 lbs, compared to my 3 lb loss. Slower than I had hoped, but think I've figured out what I need to do. Started back with IF last week once, IF yesterday, and planned for tomorrow. Need to decrease the amount of nuts, cheese, fruit to only 1 serving per day max, and most importantly...decrease the wine!! Not unusual to have 2 glasses per night, more on weekends. That or amber rum, though I've started finding my usual rum & diet coke (the only soda I have) is tasting overly sweet. Weight currently 138. I know that probably sounds good for some of you, but puts me at still 19% BF, and I have long dreamed of sub 15% BF...see the hints of the 6 pack hidden in there, but want to be lean and athletic! Definitely seeing some more definition lately, the belly "pooch" seems to be more loose skin (if I'm not bloated!), so can only assume this means some fat loss underneath. Most certainly I can get where I want to be, in time. Finding myself generally more satisfied on the higher fat (typically F/P/C around 60/25/15 or so).

I have a long list of goals for the next months, but will save that for another post.

I see lots of encouragement and great stories on this forum, so welcome your thoughts.

Greensprout

IF until dinner today. A bit of hunger on and off, but feeding that lemon water and herbal tea.

Planning to try the coconut meatballs (have some local ground beef/pork) with roasted sweet potato and beet, plus salad. Guess the sweet potato will be in my 20%...I started a few weeks ago getting a weekly delivery of mostly organic (or at least local) produce, so I get what they send for the week. Last night's delivery included sweet potato and a giant beet, along with a recipie.

A bit sore all over from a 'boot camp' type workout yesterday, 50 min of high intensity resistance/cardio intervals. Tried it for the first time, will probably use it occasionally as it fits in with the rest of my workouts. Today is warming up, so likely to be a 60 min brisk walk after work to loosen up the muscles.

Long weekend alert... have to make a strong effort to keep the wine intake down. Not worried about chocolate, though the kids certainly will want some. As teenagers, I can no longer control what they eat, just give them lots of healthy options.

Planning on lots of yardwork, should be able to do some raking, etc, so that takes care of activity.

Gloomy, cold and rainy today. Fits with how I'm feeling. So much for yard work.

Yesterday:
    B: IF
    L: IF
    D: coconut meatballs (very yummy), snow peas sauteed in bacon fat
    S: 2 small squares dark chocolate, 1 rum & diet coke, 2 glasses wine (yeah, yeah).

Didn't get out walking, got home from work and had to take 14 year old son for xrays...seems teenaged boys like jumping off roofs. 4 hours later home, no fracture, but multiple strains/sprains. Lovely set of crutches to try out.

Today a lovely sleep in (love a long weekend). Need to get more sleep regularly, that 6ish hrs per night during the week is not enough. 7-8 is ideal for me, but rare as I have to be up for work around 6am, though have never been a morning person.

Feeling blah, beginnings of cramping signalling TOM. Ick. Headache persisting that has been there since yesterday afternoon. Could have walked on treadmill, but not feeling energetic enough. Also had plans of being productive with chores around the house, but that didn't happen either. Even took a 2 hr nap, which didn't really refresh, either.

B/L: 2 guacamole devils (wow, I will certainly do these again), 1 small grapefruit, 2 turkey pepperoni sticks, coffee with whole milk (really not much into cream in coffee, but have switched to whole from skim milk)
    S: peckish...3 T coconut milk, 1 tsp almond butter. Vanilla roast coffee with bit of heavy cream (will do it sometimes)
    D: roasting spaghetti squash right now, will add butter, tomato sauce, fresh parmesan. Leftover coconut meatballs. Either salad with EVOO & balsamic or sauteed brussel sprouts in bacon fat.
    Might add some wine.
    Last edited by Greensprout; 04-02-2010 at 03:39 PM. Reason: typo

Last night's dinner had asparagus sauteed in butter in the end. Later, one rum & diet coke, some white wine. Snack of 1 dark chocolate square, 1 thick slice aged cheddar, and a few pork rinds. Went to bed earlier than normal for a weekend, just still tired.

Today, lots of errands out and about, sorting and cleaning around the house.

B: coffee with whole milk and a splash of 10% cream, smoothie- 3 frozen strawberries, some frozen blueberries, 3 celery stalks, chocolate protein powder, cocoa powder, spinach and 1/2 c coconut milk
    L: not hungry. 4 brazilnuts for snack
    D: dry rub pork ribs from this recipe: [URL="http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/texas-pork-ribs-recipe/index.html/URL] most yummy. Spinach salad with red onion, radish, EVOO & balsamic, sprinkle of goat cheese.

No workout...still feeling a bit off (headache, crampy). Will relook at tomorrow.

Need to put away my scale and pull it out only once per week. I have this obsession with stepping on it daily (or even several times daily) if it's there. Not seeing movement (duh), yet clothing is feeling looser.

Happy Easter! Sunny and breezy. Gave both cars a good cleaning, inside and out with hubby, then we went for an hour brisk walk. Last week was the first time we've done this in years, so good 'together' time.

B/L: coffee with whole milk, 5 fat guacamole devils (2 1/2 eggs), couple slices haloumi browned in butter.

S: 4 brazilnuts, small handful of macadamia nuts.

D: currently in the oven 2 chickens quartered and roasting, mix of sweet potato/beet/onion tossed in EVOO, garlicy broccoli, and maybe the rest of some leftover spaghetti squash.

Found a young coconut at the grocery yesterday, will probably open it tonight and eat some with strawberries. Perhaps tiny bit of dark chocolate too.

Anyone else having delays with posts? My last few said they had to be okayed by the moderators before posting, then they don't show up until the next day..??? Strange.

Issues with posts seems to be resolved.

Today off to work at my "extra" job in the ER. The days I work there are pretty busy, so find it pretty easy too fast, with either water/black coffee/green or herbal tea on breaks.

D: about 1/4 c nuts while prepping (macadamia, almonds). Pork ribs, bit of steamed carrots with butter, BAS with mixed greens, radish, tomato, cucumber, 1/2 avocado, bit of feta, few kalmata olives, dressed with EVOO/red wine vinegar/oregano.

Now I'm hungry again. Some fasting days I seem to need to eat all evening, others not so much. Maybe just need something else with more fat. Made fresh coconut milk from the young coconut I found on the weekend, might have with berries, although I'm trying to stay low on the fruit. I find I'm really not craving much at all these days, didn't even have any chocolate or treats yesterday (well, a glass of wine was a treat).

Hubby still eating PB with me, but I have to somehow get him over his aversion to visible fat/fatty meats. He doesn't even like chicken skin all crispy! Am often mixing in bacon fat/butter into the food that I prepare for him...usually I tell him after he's eaten.

On my feet all day, not in the mood to walk tonight. Think an early bed is in order. Not sure if the past few day's fatigue is more to do with TOM of remnants of 'low carb flu', it's been a good month since I've been low on the carbs. Or I just need more sleep!

lifewithjades is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like you're doing really well.

Great on the reduction in cravings! I'm going through some withdraws myself right now. Oh, and sleep- yes- we need sleep!

Hope your son is okay!

Thanks lifewithjades! Son is weightbearing, but still using crutches at school. Says it gets him lots of attention from the girls.

A good day today, felt very alert and lots of energy. Little snack last night of 1 small grapefruit and 3 small pieces dark chocolate, stayed away from the wine.

B: 3 egg scramble in butter with heavy cream, mushrooms, spaghetti squash, scallion and a bit of aged cheddar, coffee with whole milk. Kept me quite full until lunch.
    L: tin of salmon, raw veg (green pepper, cauliflower, celery, radish). Should have added some more fat in there. A few almonds.
    D: 4 slices of roasted pork belly (good, but will stick to my usual of thick slice then fry until crispy for next time), brussel sprouts sauteed in bacon fat and butter. One square dark chocolate. Still full now, almost 5 hrs later.

Had a workout at end of workday, a 50 min circuit workout focusing on upper body and core, with cardio intervals between stations. So got in both the lift heavy things and the sprints, yay.

Off to sleep, wasn't planning to IF until Thurs, but I have a feeling I might not be hungry in the morning, so will reassess then, if it makes sense for tomorrow, then will go for it.

Heading off Thurs evening for a 2 night getaway to a cottage at a resort with some good friends. We had them for dinner last weekend and served a primal meal, which everyone loved. They're cooking for us on Thurs, so we told them we won't be eating grains...they were a bit skeptical, but at least I'm pretty sure pasta won't be on the menu! Told them any combination of meat/veg/salad will be perfect. Should be a great adult getaway, but have to be home early Sat, as younger son has a soccer game. The second night away we'll eat in the restaurant in the lodge, I recall some great lamb the last time we were there, so no worries about finding something good to eat. Much looking forward to some couple time, we don't make the time for such things often enough.

Another good start to the day, got in almost 7 hours good sleep, wide awake and alert thus far. As I suspected, not hungry for breakfast, not "truely" fasting, as I decided to go for whole milk with a bit of cream in my 2 cups of coffee.

L: brought 1 roasted chicken leg with thigh, bag of raw veg with organic sour cream mixed with one scallion for dipping, will tuck into this whenever hunger strikes late morning/early afternoon.

D: will be grilled sirloin steak, mushrooms (tons) sauteed in butter and bacon fat with rosemary, whatever veg is still kicking around in the fridge before CSA box comes in later tonight. Am really loving that organic delivery weekly!

Planning on hour long walk with hubby after we take in our income taxes, before dinner. Another sunny lovely day.

Of note, scale was down this morning (no, haven't quite put it away yet), is at 137, whereas the past couple of weeks it's been bouncing around between 138-140. I have a good feeling things are now on the move in the right direction, woohoo.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yay, today we head off for our getaway in the woods right after work!

Did end up having a glass of wine after late dinner last night, though only one, as hubby decided to open some and it just looked so nice...

for today:

D: will be late after we arrive to meet friends at the cottage- I do know they are grilling steaks, and we did warn them about the no grains, so expect salad, and otherwise, no doubt the wine will be readily available.

Can go for a swim/hot tub after dinner at the lodge, likely to be more play than exercise for today! Tomorrow planning on walking/hiking and lots of outdoorsy stuff. I expect there will certainly be lots of nonprimal foodstuffs about, so may look for what looks like the best "treat". I expect to be into the wine, and will probably have a dessert in there somewhere, but that's okay, as I've really not been straying from primal in the food dept all month. Will be interesting to see how it may or may not affect me, as far as grains and sugars goes.

Page 1 of 275 1231151101 ... LastLast