Page 96 of 263 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798106146196 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal **Greensprout** page 96

Suse is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Sounds like you've had an interesting few days. I've been missing in action for a while. Havent had that much to report anyway.

I wish we had a hot tub

Greensprout is offline Senior Member
    Welcome back Suse

A whole 6 1/2 hours of sleep to start the day, the extra half hour only because I kept hitting the snooze button. Could be worse, I suppose. This morning I had a couple odd bouts of diarrhea after eating, along with minor belly upset. Maybe a bit heavy on the magnesium (Natural Calm) last night? Went away within about half an hour and then felt quite normal. Managed a reasonably productive day at work too.

Went out walking for 70 min at lunch, in the HEAT, and even managed 10 min or so of light jogging when on the shady part of the path in the forest at the park. It was good, but feeling pretty knackered by the end from the heat. Really enjoyed the glass of coconut water I had remembered to pack after a quick cool shower. Home after work, take one kid to the gym, pick up the other from a friends, make dinner, take one kid out again, and then the other. Whew. Hubby should be on his way home from the airport by now, his flight was delayed by an hour.

Eats:
    645: black coffee
    900: 2 HB eggs, jumbo size
    1330: leftover prime rib wrapped in lettuce leaves, handful of grape tomatoes and a plum
    1700: some pecans. Yes, I bought them. First in a while.
    1900: 3 grilled pork chops, BAS with lettuce, cucumber, radish, chives, a yellow tomato & fennel. Not sure the fennel matched, but tasted reasonable
    anyway. One square of lindt dark chocolate with caramel & sea salt. Dangerous stuff.

Aim for the week: walk 3 or 4 times. LHT once or twice (maybe PBF?)...seriously, it's been a while. Will be super hot all week, so might just save the hot yoga for when it cools down a bit. Conquer the stupid pimple that cropped up last week, no doubt a combo of TOM hormones and stress. Haven't had one of those in many months.

Ah, hubby just walked in. And the first episode of the new season of Hell's Kitchen is starting...I'm happy. Hehehe.

Edit: forgot to mention I also had a bit of buttered sweet potato with cinnamon with dinner
    Last edited by Greensprout; 07-18-2011 at 08:48 PM.

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Greensprout View Post
    Been a few days since I've posted. I've been reading a bit on the forums, but not in the mood to say anything.
    Me too
    Now I have to hunt back through the pages to find my journal...
    It's been very hot and humid the past few days, and I'm loving it. Temps in the 30s with high humidity. Excellent pool weather.
    Same here
    I finally had my hair salon appointment today, gee, only 8 months since my last cut and color before going to Vegas. Unusual for me. I now have lovely caramel and copper highlights, trimmed but kept all the length, and he finished it up all curly. No, I didn't get a photo, it's gone a bit fuzzy due to the high humidity, I was out in the garden later in the afternoon. He did a good job. Interesting new stylist, he's about 6 foot 5, tatooed and pierced, lifts heavy weights and is a dad of 2 young kids. We had some interesting conversations.
    My hair is VERY BIG right now - damn humidity!
    He sounds great!
    One square of lindt dark chocolate with caramel & sea salt. Dangerous stuff.
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Wow, today was REALLY hot. Mid 30s with humidex at one point up to 48. Wanted to jump in the pool when I got home, but had to run and pick up my CSA box first. Haven't unpacked it all yet, but it looks great.

At lunch, instead of walking, I went to a demo class of the TRX at the bigger gym across the base. Interesting piece of kit, we did a bunch of exercises, and a full body workout circuit, which definitely counts as LHT. I don't see spending $200 on such a thing at this point to have at home, but cool that you can pack this 2 lb system in your suitcase and take it with you when traveling. I can see the value in having something so portable and multipurpose.

I did hit the pool before cooking dinner. It is heated, and we keep a solar blanket on it when not in use. Due to the hot weather, today it was heated to like a lukewarm bath...thermometer was reading 92F...lovely for floating around, as by the time I was in, the sun had dipped behind the house (pool in the backyard to the east of the house) so only half was left in the sun. I think I was in for about 45 min.

Eats:
    645: black coffee
    900: 2 HB eggs
    1330: 2 pork chops with a BAS of lettuce, cucumber, radish, grape tomato, chives & fennel. Cup of bing cherries.
    1745: handful of pecans
    1900: one german smokie sausage with dijon & sauerkraut, one pork chop, small salad of beet & goat cheese with evoo & raspberry balsamic (very nice) and some cucumber. Lindt dark chocolate with caramel & sea salt (yes, the dangerous type...nuff said)
    later: another handful of pecans...oops
    Vodka & soda with lime.

Nothing particularly exciting today. Feeling kind of ho hum, and snacky in the evening. I've not really been doing much of breakfast this week, but I'm undecided if that's related. Experimenting with meal timings, but don't seem to be keeping to one thing for very long.

We were under severe thunderstorm warning most of the day so I didn't go out walking at noon, though in hindsight I should have as there was no rain except a few sprinkles in the morning. Didn't get out after work either. Tired today, another 6 1/2 hour only night last night, so I definitely need more sleep.

Eats:
    am: black coffee
    lunch: pork chop and roast deli turkey in lettuce wraps, grape tomatoes, celery, cucumber, green pepper. A larabar.
    after work: 2 pecan halves, stopped at only 2.
    dinner: grass fed beef "pasta sauce" simmered with fresh hot & spicy oregano & basil from my garden on a bed of zuchini "noodles" (fine julienne) sauteed in evoo and sauteed cremini mushrooms, topped with garden italian parlsey & fresh parmesan. Very nice.
    post dinner: bit of dark chocolate, some coconut, a few potato chips, a pepperoni stick, vodka & soda with lime.
    Now I feel overfull and blah.

Kid #1 is working late, he'll either get a ride home with a coworker, or walk (only about 2 km) or cab. Too late to pick him up on a worknight for us. Kid #2 is with friends in the neighbourhood and coming home later. I still have concerns about that one. Nothing suspicious at the moment, but I'm very wary. Another contributing factor to my sleep habits of late. Hubby doesn't seem as bothered as I am, maybe because he's been on the road so much.

On a good note, with my back to back contracts at work, we've found that I have another 7 vacation days for this year that I had carried forward from my last contract. It's sometimes hard to keep track, as I ended a longer term contract early to take my current job, and I had thought I had used up what was earned to that time. Not complaining. This way, I have added an extra few days to my upcoming time off, so have 2 1/2 weeks off starting next Wed and still have a week to use before this contract ends mid January. No big holiday plans for now, but we're considering a week in the Caribbean over the Christmas holiday, either an island resort or maybe another cruise with the kids. Then hubby & I have decided we need a he and I only cruise next year, maybe northern Europe or the Baltics, our primal friends might be in for the same.

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    Wow, today was REALLY hot. Mid 30s with humidex at one point up to 48. Wanted to jump in the pool when I got home,
    Yup, we've got it too.

I did hit the pool before cooking dinner. It is heated, and we keep a solar blanket on it when not in use. Due to the hot weather, today it was heated to like a lukewarm bath...thermometer was reading 92F...lovely for floating around, as by the time I was in, the sun had dipped behind the house (pool in the backyard to the east of the house) so only half was left in the sun. I think I was in for about 45 min.
    Sounds lovely. Ours isn't very deep, but you can sit down and lean against the side and it comes up to mid ribs. Or you can lay down and stretch out and just barely float. It gets really warm, we add cold water to it every day

dinner: grass fed beef "pasta sauce" simmered with fresh hot & spicy oregano & basil from my garden on a bed of zuchini "noodles" (fine julienne) sauteed in evoo and sauteed cremini mushrooms, topped with garden italian parlsey & fresh parmesan. Very nice.
    Sounds lovely!

On a good note, with my back to back contracts at work, we've found that I have another 7 vacation days for this year that I had carried forward from my last contract.

No big holiday plans for now, but we're considering a week in the Caribbean over the Christmas holiday, either an island resort or maybe another cruise with the kids. Then hubby & I have decided we need a he and I only cruise next year, maybe northern Europe or the Baltics, our primal friends might be in for the same.
    Awesome!
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

The height of the heat wave has broken for the moment. Still 27 & sunny, but minimal humidity, so it was a lovely summer day, though rather windy. This place has such extremes of weather, from -40s and colder all the way up to +40s with humidity factored in. A hot summer makes the winters almost bearable...this is the first hot summer in several years here.

I was planning to walk at noon, but had a bit of a bellyache for some reason. I left work a little early to come home and go for a walk of just over an hour, which was good. Listened to the podcast from Robb Wolf that had Mat Lalonde as a guest, which was really good. Have to download some more episodes, there's still at least 20 on Robbs blog that I haven't heard yet.

Son #1 was pleased to get a call from his boss asking if he wanted to switch tomorrow's kitchen shift from evening to days, so he'll be working 9 to 6, instead of 7 to 3am. Nice. He's been asking for days, as he's finding the hours are really impacting his ability to be with friends. Son #2 has been asking for jobs to do around home that he can earn some cash for, as he can't really get hired anywhere at his age. Today he did weeding and moved some topsoil to where it was needed in the garden. Tomorrow he's going to sand the spots hubby patched in the drywall in prep for painting the front hall, wipe down the walls after and apply primer. I think this is good, it is all stuff that needs doing and is time we would be spending on doing that stuff. This way he can pay for movies with his friends, and snacks out, and so on.

Eats:
    645: black coffee. decided to make breakfast to take with me to work.
    9am: 3 jumbo eggs omelet stuffed with last night's meat sauce & some shaved parmesan. Very good.
    no lunch, a cup of coconut water that needed to be used. Assorted green & herbal teas.
    7pm: primal hot wings, green salad. 8 pecan halves and a small bit of dark chocolate with caramel & sea salt (it's almost gone...)

Aiming tonight to sleep more than the 6+ hours I had last night. Hubby & I have some unfinished business to settle...his travel, my cycle, stuff with the boys, other random distracting crap. Tonight the boys are out and there's no reason not to turn in early(ish)...

Well, no surprise, the earlyish bedtime didn't quite happen. About 6 1/2 hours of sleep, but felt okay today. Got a chuckle from son #1 as I woke him up at 7 am so he'd be up before we left to be ready for work. He wasn't pleased as he'd stayed up rather late as usual. He had to walk there, but when I picked him up soon after 5, he had a good day (more working on kitchen prep stuff and less on dishes), he was pleased with the earlier shift, went to the gym after eating, ate again after and then went out with friends for the evening. Son #2 did good chores today...sanded the walls that had been filled, wiped them down and applied the primer.

The heatwave is most certainly done. Today only got up to 20C though sunny. Actually felt a bit cool to me. I think I need to move to a warmer climate someday. We are considering getting a place outside the country within the next 10 years to stay in for half the year...

No workout today, since we can now wear "real" clothes on Fridays with a small donation to charity, I chose to do some retail therapy and browse the mall. No purchases aside from an iced coffee, but enjoyable nonetheless.

I decided to fast today. Rather growly tummy late morning, but I got over it. No foods until after work.

Eats:
    black coffee & green & herbal teas
    noon hour: iced coffee with half and half (the highest fat stuff there) and stevia.
    after work: felt really hungry. a few pecans, a pepperoni stick and a small bit of cheddar.
    dinner: caprese salad, grilled strip loin, sauteed mushrooms, grilled asparagus, one small new baked potato from the CSA with butter & sour cream. Some lovely wine.
    Might have a bit of ice cream.

Suse is offline Senior Member
    You really could use some good sleeps. It's been over a year that I've been reading your journal and I swear 6.5 hrs is your maximum?

Quote Originally Posted by Suse View Post
    You really could use some good sleeps. It's been over a year that I've been reading your journal and I swear 6.5 hrs is your maximum?
    Right you are. I do love to sleep, and normally don't have any troubles either falling asleep or staying there...merely things keeping me up (lately those lovely kids of mine), or poking about procrastinating but doing nothing productive, and then having to be at work for 730 or 8 all week. Today, for instance, I just got back from picking kid #1 up from work (shift until 11), and I need a few minutes before being quite ready to hit the pillow. And I'll be up around 630. Someday...but at least only 2 more workdays and then I'm off for a whole 19 days, hooray. Should be able to do some good catch up then.

Nothing too exciting over the weekend. Ate ice cream Friday night. Saturday hit the farmer's market and groceries, splashed in the pool. Random snacks, then dinner of cream of greens soup (using up CSA greens: kale, beet greens, sorrel, broccoli rabe) with a procuitto wrapped chicken breast stuffed with sauteed mushrooms & goat cheese. Some rum and wine. Today felt relatively draggy, probably from the wine. Didn't seem like that much, but maybe so. Maybe my tolerance is decreasing, which I suppose wouldn't be a bad thing. tPoked about the garden, floated in the pool, got some sun. Made tzatziki for the first time, turned out kind of thin, but tasty.

Todays eats:
    B: bowl of cream of greens soup, leftover stuffed chicken breast dipped in the soup.
    random snacking on cherries, coconut, pecans, a pepperoni stick, more coconut.
    D: BAS, beef/lamb burgers topped with roasted red pepper & tzatziki over the whole lot. More coconut. It's gone now.
    Having a glass of red before bed.