Page 92 of 270 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102142192 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal **Greensprout** page 92

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I wish you a quiet and peaceful weekend.

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    Playing catch up

Quote Originally Posted by Greensprout View Post
    I'm sort of aiming for lower calorie intake with the smaller eating window. I find that if I just eat what I want, I'm often closer to 2000cal daily, which is evidently much more than I need to take off these last flabby bits that I've been hanging on to for some time.
    I guess that I have a "smaller than normal" eating window - I don't usually eat until lunch and then I don't usually eat anything after 7. Maybe I should try to shorten it even more. I know that some days I don't feel like eating until 2pm...And you are right, you do tend to eat fewer calories in the shorter window, there's only so much you can eat at one time.

Got in for a consult with a new hairstylist...it's been a good 6 months since I've even been for a trim and there are some grays needing attending to. I explained my trying to learn to work with the curl I've discovered, and he has a plan to help me with that, as well as some good colour ideas. Have to wait 2 weeks for an evening appointment, but I think it will be worth it.
    We'll need photos

...this evening I bought the month pass and did my first hot yoga class . I really enjoyed it.
    Great! You deserve to spoil yourself with something you enjoy!!!

Glad I'm not the only one thinking the email/phone call was lame. I suppose better than just not showing up. And I do see his point, I am more annoyed that hubby didn't see my perspective and really doesn't see why I felt it was so important.
    They sometimes just don't "get it"
    (btw - I agree with you)

We last painted 4 years ago, and are ready for a change. We've been deliberating on colours for at least a year. Brought home a few cans of paint.
    I haven't painted in years...I'm WAY past due...my bathroom has been in a "semi renovation" state for two years...

We were awakened by a phone call at 440 this morning from the police, informing me that son#2 was enroute by ambulance to the hospital. He's okay, but was a bad episode with substances he's dabbling in. He was supposed to be at one friends house, ended up at another friends place. A phone call like that really stops your heart for a bit. We had him home within a couple of hours. I'm not sure at all where to go with this. I've decided we need to find some family counseling before things spiral into something worse. This really hurts.
    Oh NO
    Yeah, the middle of the night police phone calls are not fun!
    I'm glad he's OK

Quote Originally Posted by NourishedEm View Post
    Imo, he has just forfeited his right to be treated like an adult and needs to be punished as a child would be, since that's how he's behaving. He needs a serious wake-up call.

I really feel for you and wish I could give you a huge hug.
    This

Quote Originally Posted by marcadav View Post
    I also think counseling is in order.

That being said, if my experience is any indication, things can and do get better.

Hang in there!
    This too

I know that we have to seek outside assistance at this point. If we didn't, and more were to happen, I'm not sure I could deal with that if we don't deal with it when there is obviously more going on than we can handle.
    I hear you.

I do believe I'm feeling some leaning out in the last couple of weeks. Some movement on the scale (in the right direction) and slight measurement changes, am continuing to monitor and will give a proper report when I'm convinced it's not just an anomaly.
    Excellent!!

Quote Originally Posted by NourishedEm View Post
    Oh no, not the dreaded night sweats! I'm not looking forward to the start of that particular rollercoaster.
    Me neither...

The kid met with the counselor today, he said she's "pretty chill", which apparently is a good thing.
    I'm glad he likes the counselor. It's a good start

I'm starting to reread "the Paleo Solution" by Robb Wolf. Had started rereading the PB, but I lent it to a colleague at work who I think could use it more at the moment.
    I'm reading "the Paleo Solution" now (for the 1st time)
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

I also had a weird brief episode while driving home af"ter work of feeling rather lightheaded, which is obviously not good when driving. Almost felt for about 10 seconds like I was going to have to quickly pull over as I might be on the way to fainting or something. WTF? Never had that happen before, maybe chalk it up to heavy flow day, fasting and cumulative stress. Felt fine by the time I got home.
    Maybe fasting right now isn't a good idea...

The kid is doing a bunch of chores tonight - mowed the lawn, and is cleaning the pool. Not complaining, and seems somewhat motivated. I'm hoping this weekend will not be quite so eventful as last.
    I hope so too
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Suse is offline Senior Member
    I too, hope you have a nice quiet, UNEVENTFUL weekend (well apart from winning a lottery or something, thats a good EVENT!)

Greensprout is offline Senior Member
    Yes, a calm and peaceful UNEVENTFUL weekend would be lovely.

Son #1 is at work until late and wayward son #2 is at a friends place. I've spoken with the mom, and she gets it. The kid is putting forth effort this week to work within our limits, so this is a compromise. He still doesn't have his phone back, and is complying with what we ask thus far. I'm hopeful. He had 2 final exams today, says they went very well, and he sees the counselor again on Tues, I have some forms to fill out for her.

I have to be out of town next week, chairing a working group for Tues-Thurs. Not planned, but necessary, and hubby is at home, so at least the timing is workable. I'll take a break from the evening only feeding window, as I won't be able to get enough in the mess hall at dinner for the day and I'm not interested in explaining to others why I'm not eating all day. Will make the best choices given what's available, and try to fit in some walking and bodyweight stuff as well. Leaving mid day Monday and home late Thurs night. This also means I had to reschedule my hair appointment that I had booked for Thurs, and it's another 3 weeks until I can get in. Bah. I suppose I've put it off this long, another few weeks won't make much difference. Too bad though, I was looking forward to it.

Fasted until home from work.
    530pm: chicken thigh, slice and a half of bacon from what I cooked for son #1 before he went to work. Half a pepperoni stick a while later.
    815pm: sauteed scallops in butter, roasted applewood smoked bacon wrapped local asparagus. Big glass of pinot gris.
    Probably some chocolate later. Maybe a protein shake. Quite sure I'm a little low from my target.

Tomorrow evening is a BBQ at friends, which is with hubby's work people. Potluck, with the hosts providing some sort of grilled critter. I'm bringing a salad, though I haven't yet decided what sort. If I don't come up with anything else, it will be bacon/avocado/egg/tomato salad. That always works. I'm aiming for a refeed of sorts, but plan to stick to primal friendly fare and of course, wine. Should be a fun, relaxing night.

The BBQ yesterday was good. I stuck to mainly primal friendly fare. Cocktail shrimp, nuts, grilled chicken breast, a variety of salads. 3 tortilla chips with some 7 layer dip. A friend who is recently gluten intolerant was very excited for me to try the gluten free chocolate cake she made...with chickpeas. She so wanted me to try it that I didn't have the heart to say that I don't eat legumes. It was dense and chocolaty, though a standard super sweet frosting, tasted pretty decent. I also had several pieces of homemade chocolate fudge. Funny, I heard someone else describing it as "not too sweet at all", while I found it extremely sweet, though that didn't seem to stop me from eating it. And a good few glasses of wine with a nightcap of cognac.

Of course, there had to be something eventful. We were cabbing home and picking up son #1 from being out with his buddies...pretty clear that he had been drinking too. Sent him sternly off to bed, when he got up today, he was paying the price. As he was hanging over the toilet, I told him to remember just how that felt the next time his friends have alcohol. He survived, and did his shift at work this evening. Now studying for finals tomorrow.

Son #2 has been towing the line, no events from him. He's getting into skateboarding, which at least is giving him something to be doing rather than having "nothing" to do and finding things he shouldn't be, at least that's what I'm hoping.

Edit: forgot to add today's foods.
    coffee with cream, last of the bison roast. Some organic blueberries & raspberries. A few almonds, one pepperoni stick, a bottle of ginger kombucha. 3 small squares of organic dark chocolate (almond & cherry 70% dark...yum)
    D: grilled sirloin steak, oyster mushrooms, local baby bok choi.
    Late: big glass of wine after picking up the kids.

I'm off to Ontario tomorrow, will muddle my way through chairing the working groups. Taking hubby's netbook as I'll need to do some work, but not sure if I'll have any connectivity, as it didn't work last time I was there.
    Last edited by Greensprout; 06-19-2011 at 09:54 PM. Reason: foods

Sitting in the bairport in Toronto waiting for my flight home. I just had a lovely bunless prime rib burger topped with guiness cheddar, sauteed mushrooms & roasted red pepper with a side of sweet potato fries dipped in red pepper mayo. And a glass of cabernet. Quite nice for airport food, granted, it is an Irish pub type place.

The meetings/working group I was chairing went very well, we accomplished all we were aiming for in good time. Whew. Foods were bit challenging. Bacon & eggs no problem for breakfasts, a distinct lack of non breaded protein sources for lunches, and dinners were okay at best. Last night all the main courses for dinner in the mess hall were breaded...fish, chicken, then pasta or some sort of sandwich melt thing. At least there were some leftover cold ribs on the salad bar from the day before, the sauce was kind of sweet, but better than nothing. In my room, I had some organic blueberries & raspberries, beef jerky (the commercial sort), and dark chocolate of which I had a decent amount. And I did get out for a good hour and a bit walk on Tues, with some sprints and negative pullups throughout.

I'll get home late, and already told my boss I'll not be in first thing for tomorrow. From my texts with son #1, all is well, they made it through their final exams. Will have to wait to hear about son #2's second appointment with the counselor, we had to send in a detailed questionnaire of our perspective on the problem. Hoping it went well.

No idea what's up yet for the weekend at home. This week went by pretty quickly being away. Hopefully someone remembered to water my greens, herbs and tomatoes.

Of course, there had to be something eventful. We were cabbing home and picking up son #1 from being out with his buddies...pretty clear that he had been drinking too. Sent him sternly off to bed, when he got up today, he was paying the price. As he was hanging over the toilet, I told him to remember just how that felt the next time his friends have alcohol. He survived, and did his shift at work this evening. Now studying for finals tomorrow.
    16? Yeah...maybe time for the "if you must drink, (or your friends are drinking) this is what you do" talk.
    You know - Always mix your own drinks (weak), NEVER let someone else mix them, never leave your drink anywhere, NEVER EVER get in a car with someone who's been drinking, you can ALWAYS call me, etc...

As my Farmer says: "SLOW out of the gate"

Sitting in the bairport in Toronto waiting for my flight home. I just had a lovely bunless prime rib burger topped with guiness cheddar, sauteed mushrooms & roasted red pepper with a side of sweet potato fries dipped in red pepper mayo. And a glass of cabernet. Quite nice for airport food, granted, it is an Irish pub type place.
    Sounds wonderful

I'll get home late, and already told my boss I'll not be in first thing for tomorrow. From my texts with son #1, all is well, they made it through their final exams. Will have to wait to hear about son #2's second appointment with the counselor, we had to send in a detailed questionnaire of our perspective on the problem. Hoping it went well.
    Good idea to take it easy tomorrow morning. Glad things appear to have gone well at home.
    "Moderation sucks." Suse

Winencandy

Lots on the go here. Hubby is painting the family room, we've done the wall with the fireplace & built in shelves in a deep chocolate brown, the rest of the room in a nice taupe. Probably will continue the taupe throughout the rest of the main area, we had it in a yellow 4 years ago, which has grown rather old and in need of a change.

We also decided to finally replace out 11+ year old 300 lb TV today, so there is now a box with a new 42 inch HD model sitting in my kitchen waiting for the painting to be finished. Should be setting it up tomorrow. And a HD receiver for the cable with PVR. Hubby's been wanting to upgrade for a while, I finally gave in as we've decided to not go away for holiday this summer so will focus on sorting out the house instead.

A few more open discussions with son #2, things seem to be going well. He admits that the last big event with the trip to the ER shook him up, along with his friends. I think we're slowly on the right track. He's allowed out with friends, but has to check in, and any staying over requires a phone call from the other parents to confirm they know the plan and are okay with it. They're all aware of what our boys have been up to, so hopefully they are being as diligent as we are trying to be with monitoring. The counselor appointment he was supposed to have didn't happen this week as she wasn't there, but I'll follow up next week.

Yesterday I got into work by 11, thought I'd fast till dinner, but was hungry and decided to eat when I had to come home to pick up my USB stick which I needed, and my computer server was buggery for a few hours at work. Had leftover bacon wrapped pork tenderloin, a larabar and some almonds. After work an apple with almond butter. Late dinner was a BAS with chorizo. Lovely greens from our first CSA box, which of course hubby had just stashed in the fridge. I had to pick up son #1 from work, but fortunately for me, he was done by 1215 instead of 2 am as expected. Some wine after that.

Today was watering my garden, have to get at the weeds tomorrow. My greens and tomato plants are exploding, in a good way. Went to the farmers market for eggs, radishes, tomatoes, asparagus and grass fed ground beef. Grocery store for other necessities. Also some more chatting with son #1 about his episode last week. Good grief. We're also discussing his thoughts about post secondary education and how he should best be investing his paychecks (as he's saving) to maximize his earnings. He has a good head on his shoulders, hopefully he can rub some of that off on his little brother.

Today's eats:
    coffee with cream, a few random blueberries, raspberries & blackberries.
    D: grilled sirloin with a chimichurri sauce (Flank Steak with Chimichurri Recipe at Epicurious.com), mushrooms, grilled peppers and a caprese salad. Wine.

Plenty of babbling. Time shortly for some hot tub time with hubby.

Suse is offline Senior Member
    things sound like they are coming together. Glad to hear!!! enjoy your new surroundings