Page 88 of 272 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098138188 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal **Greensprout** page 88

Greensprout is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    More productivity at work today, though it could have been better. Need to work on that one. Been distracted of late. Trying to get lots done this week as I'm on a course so out of the office for 3 days next week. Looking forward to it, but means the stuff keeps piling up on my desk for my return.

I was hoping to get out walking at noon, but a meeting ran very long and by the time I could get away, the weather was looking not so great, and I hadn't brought foul weather stuff to wear, and I had no interest in walking on the treadmill or lifting today. So lunch was eaten instead.

Eats:
    B: black coffee with cinnamon
    L: BAS of cauliflower, celery, an orange pepper, scallion with macadamia oil/balsamic/acv, a tin of wild salmon
    S: 12 almonds after work. I had broken away from the nuts for a little while but they seem to have crept back into everyday snacks...needs to go.
    D: 2 bison/grass fed beef burger patties with SOG BBQ sauce, tomato and cheddar. Side of roasted broccoli and a couple of roasted baby carrots.
    S: chocolate whey protein shake (with water).

I plugged today's stuff into fitday and figured I could use some more protein but extra fat wasn't needed, hence the last snack. The flavour is intended to keep me off chocolate today, as I've also been indulging daily recently, not usually more than a few squares, but again, I don't need it as an everyday thing.

Feeling a bit not quite right today, nothing specific, probably would be helped by more sleep. Son #1 is working till around 10, so have to pick him up in a bit, will endeavour to not stay up till 12 like last night. It's been a strange month, and not helped that I haven't made time for regular workouts in nearly 4 weeks. Hubby and I decided with all the recent stuff going on, and all his (and my) travel, we need a date night tomorrow. There's a Keg a km walk from home, so that's the plan for dinner, with a walk both ways. Hopefully he won't mind again staying up to pick the kid up after work (cleaning dishes till closing, so the last 2 weeks it's been around 2am, will be great once he can drive himself...that won't be till Sept at the earliest however). Hubby's off traveling again for 5 days on Sunday...

The farmers' market opens for the season this Saturday, will have to go check it out. And by late in the month my weekly summer CSA will start up, can't wait!

Hooray for Friday! It's sunny and warm, despite being rather breezy. I took the lunch break to go walking to the park for 75 min, most excellent, as all the lilacs and other flowering trees are in bloom (yes, we're long behind most of you way up here!) and it smelled fantastic. Last spring as a newly primal person, my normal seasonal allergies never surfaced, this year I am feeling a touch congested and the occasional watery eye, but not enough to bother looking for antihistamines, which I had been needing for about 8 years.

IF happening today, and it's been an easy one, as I'm saving myself for a BAS (which today means STEAK) when hubby and I have our dinner out. Very much looking forward to it. Kid #1 has been delivered to work, and was not happy that the patio of the restaurant was full, which means he'll be buried in dishes all night. Ah, the perspective of a newly working teenager. Suck it up, Princess, is my thought on that.

The weekend is supposed to be good weather, so maybe I'll finally get the last of my bedding plants in. I suppose I could be doing some of that now, but I'd rather not be digging in the dirt right before going out to dinner. The herbs & tomatoes already planted are doing well in boxes, and my tiny greens are sprouting (assorted lettuces, arugula, and some other salad type greens that I honestly don't remember at the moment...will have to refer to my planting diagram so I know what I'm looking at when they get bigger. Not sure if it will get quite nice enough to try out the pool for the intro dip of the season, but maybe?? It is heated, and salt water, which is really great. Didn't use it much last summer, as we really didn't have much for hot weather on days when I would have had the chance to go in.

Dinner was great, maybe a little carb heavy, but that's okay. A vodka martini with olives (interesting way to break a 20 hour fast), spinach salad with mandarin orange, cranberry, red onion, pecans with vinaigrette, 16 oz rib steak with grilled zuchinni & pepper, asparagus, mushrooms. I ate probably all but 3 oz of the steak and some of the mushrooms, which came home for later. A glass of malbec. We ordered the creme brulee, but they were out, so I settled for a spanish coffee with whipped cream. Another glass of wine at home and 2 squares of dark chocolate.

Nice to have a night out for a change, it gave us a chance to talk, which with recent schedules and falling into routines hasn't happened a lot lately. We ended up talking about our wedding bands...each of us have a very basic thin 10K gold plain band, which made sense at the time. Decided that since we have our 20th anniversary in December this year that it's time to update for both of us. I'm thinking wide, white gold/platinum/titanium, no thoughts on stones, but something that is much more me in my 40s than the old one. His thoughts are similar, but no need for matching stuff. Looking forward to some shopping for ideas.

Ellie G is offline Senior Member
    Mmm, sounds like a great meal! Post pics of any promising rings ...

Quote Originally Posted by Ellie G View Post
    Post pics of any promising rings ...
    Will do. Just have to actually get started on looking. I'm not much of a jewelry shopper, as I wear very minimal stuff in both of my jobs.

I didn't get the gardening stuff done today, it was kind of chilly and I really wasn't in the mood. Tomorrow is supposed to be warmer, so will have to get cracking and get stuff done. I did check out the first farmers' market of the season, mostly crafts, baked goods and bedding plants. Not much produce is ready here yet, but I did grab some local asparagus, scallions and radishes. Also gluten free german smokies. Picked up some groceries, mostly produce, and lots of tuna, as weightlifting son #1 is eating 2 cans per day, #2 has it regularly after school too.

Today's eats:
    B: coffee with cream
    230pm: 3 oz leftover steak & mushrooms with 2 jumbo over easy eggs
    later: handful of very tasty sweet cherries
    7pm: healthy portion of chicken wings in hot sauce. Vodka & soda.

Might have some more berries tonight.
    Last edited by Greensprout; 06-04-2011 at 08:04 PM. Reason: forgot the fruit

Gloomy with on and off showers in the morning, so I figured my gardening was a bust. Went out for some errands at noon, and by the time I got home close to 3, it was sunny and gorgeous. I worked several hours (with breaks to fix kids dinner, drop off one to work and pick the other up and give a friend a ride home) weeding and sorting out one big flower bed. Seems I've rather neglected that one for quite some time, a bunch of thick sod had crept past the edging and was growing a LOT into the bed, so lots of digging up and such. Still not done, but major progress. I'd like to get my perennials in tomorrow evening as there's lots of rain forecast for Tues.

And it seems like I may have time to get that stuff done...

Son #2 had decided to quit his soccer team, which currently has him doing 2 games and three practices weekly. He's been talking about it for a while, not happy with this year's team, is having to play defense this season when he's normally a midfielder. I've been very reluctant for him to do this, but if he's really not enjoying it anymore, forcing him is just causing arguments and stress for everyone. He does want to start going to the gym and working out, which he has had no time for because of soccer. He was supposed to go to a practice this morning, and had told me yesterday that he would make his decision about the team after the next game...but decided this morning he was done, says he didn't want us to be mad or disappointed for his not going, so I suppose it counts for a lot that he cares what we think. We said we'd get a gym membership if he promises to commit to 3 days a week, which he plans to do. Big brother is going to sort him out with form and a program.

I told him later that this has been concerning me because I want to make sure he has something to be involved in, rather than just 'hanging out' with friends and leading to potential for things he shouldn't be doing, though obviously being with friends is a huge priority at this age. Also, for so many years now, hubby and I have made such a huge time commitment to the boys soccer that at least for me, I've passed over other opportunities to do some things myself, like classes, team sports, and such, because there would be a conflict with their sports schedules. So I feel a bit lost myself, at losing this role that was so important for so long, as strange as that sounds. Or have I been using the kids formerly busy schedule as an excuse to not do more stuff for myself? I suppose this gives me the chance to find that out...

Today's eats:
    B: coffee with cream, greek yogurt with cherries, strawberries and what I thought was unsweetened coconut that the bulk store had obviously mislabelled...it was very sweetened, which I discovered AFTER it was already on my food. It was maybe a Tbsp, and I ate it. Reminded me of the big bag of coconut I had from Costco last month that I ate in a few days.
    D: BBQ pulled pork (SOG sauce) in the slowcooker, wrapped in leaf lettuce. 10 more cherries.
    A glass of wine.

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Greensprout View Post
    Also, for so many years now, hubby and I have made such a huge time commitment to the boys soccer that at least for me, I've passed over other opportunities to do some things myself, like classes, team sports, and such, because there would be a conflict with their sports schedules. So I feel a bit lost myself, at losing this role that was so important for so long, as strange as that sounds. Or have I been using the kids formerly busy schedule as an excuse to not do more stuff for myself? I suppose this gives me the chance to find that out...
    This doesn't sound strange to me. I felt the same way when Army Wannabe Son announced that he was finished with hockey. We were all "but...but...but" and felt "lost" "adrift", we were sure there was going to be one more year of hockey (the furthest he could play in this area) and it took a while to realize we wouldn't be spending another year in the arena.

This was really funny because when we were younger we weren't going to be "hockey parents"! No way were we gonna do that! But Army Wannabe Son (at 5) would bat a ball around the living room during hockey games, had a stick outside the door that he grabbed whenever he went out, and the final thing that made us realize how much he wanted it was when he started sleeping with his hockey gloves on! (a present from my parents) We liked to say he dragged us kicking and screaming to the arena!

Of course, he became an excellent left handed goalie! (Can you say $$$)
    Until one day he said "I wanna play forward and score a goal" And he did.

He did go back and play high school hockey this year.

Enjoy your freedom!
    (Without pressure, he may go back to it)
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Suse is online now Senior Member
    so this is the 2nd time that kid 2 has decided to give up on the soccer isnt it. I suppose you just have to let it be. Interesting how it makes you feel "lost". You will definitely have a bit more time to do stuff for yourself... no procrastinating (of course I would never procrastinate!)

I'm glad you and hubby had a nice date night, I think that's quite important for the two of you, with all the stresses of late. And I like your idea of getting new wedding rings!

Quote Originally Posted by winencandy View Post
    This doesn't sound strange to me. I felt the same way when Army Wannabe Son announced that he was finished with hockey. We were all "but...but...but" and felt "lost" "adrift", we were sure there was going to be one more year of hockey (the furthest he could play in this area) and it took a while to realize we wouldn't be spending another year in the arena.

Enjoy your freedom!
    (Without pressure, he may go back to it)
    Yeah, the "lost" feeling is strange but it isn't at the same time. I can't live his life, good gods, does this mean it's finally time I can focus a bit more on mine?? He still has to talk to coach, he sent an email and wasn't in when the coach phoned today, they do need to speak directly. I don't think his mind will change, even though coach told me that he sees the kid's talent and was planning to ask him at today's practice (which he obviously didn't go to) to play forward for the upcoming tournament. When I told the kid that, he said "ahhhhhh...that's what I've been wanting". Anyway, I'll leave it to sort it out with coach. He's looking forward to starting at the gym, and his good friend is also going to join. This is one of the kids who was involved as well in the trouble at school a few weeks back (and the one he stayed with for those few days). Seems to be a good kid, and is also in need of some focus. Maybe this will turn out to be a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Suse View Post
    so this is the 2nd time that kid 2 has decided to give up on the soccer isnt it. I suppose you just have to let it be. Interesting how it makes you feel "lost". You will definitely have a bit more time to do stuff for yourself... no procrastinating (of course I would never procrastinate!)
    Yep, second time this year. First leaving the elite and provincial teams, now the club level. Such a huge change.

Quote Originally Posted by Suse View Post
    I'm glad you and hubby had a nice date night, I think that's quite important for the two of you, with all the stresses of late. And I like your idea of getting new wedding rings!
    Thanks . We needed it. And I did a bit of browsing at rings yesterday. Some nice stuff out there.

The course today was good, but I was bloody tired this morning, up far too late for my own good last night for no particular reason. I should be reviewing stuff tonight, but decided to get out gardening after supper was done and cleaned up. Finished digging and weeding, and put in the perennials. I feel a good sense of accomplishment at this small thing.

Eats:
    B: black coffee
    D: 2 BBQ chicken thighs, one leg and a very BAS - mixed greens, cucumber, tomato, mushrooms, radish, scallion, with balsamic/acv/red wine vinegar/avocado oil/evoo/garlic/shallot/thyme vinaigrette. A pepperoni stick later, glass of wine.

Morning coffee break snack provided was the requisite sweets, plus bananas & oranges. Pass. Afternoon snack was cookies, cheese & crackers. Not needed either. Typical.

As for what to do with "all my newly found free time"...I've been considering a trial of hot yoga, there's a studio close by that has a good rate for a one month trial. I'm very much a yoga newbie, and haven't done the hot stuff, but it might be a good thing. Another soccer parent I know has gone there a few times and says it's great. I could use the work on flexibility and the relaxation part too. I'd love to give crossfit a try, there's one place in the city, but it seems far too expensive to be practical. I had been considering signing up for a recreational ultimate frisbee league after PrimalCon, but never got there...yes, Suse, that's the procrastination thing. And I thought it would conflict with the kids schedule, go figure. So maybe I should check out the hot yoga. Despite the fact that the studio has a vegetarian snack bar inside, .