Page 86 of 269 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896136186 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal **Greensprout** page 86

superdeluxe is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Oh, wow, I just caught up on recent events. I admire your parenting skills immensely (I know I certainly wouldn't be as level headed) and the way you maintain your healthy eating even under so much stress. You do so much between the extra work in a stressful environment and your husband traveling...
    Il faut vivre et non pas seulement exister.

Greensprout is offline Senior Member
    Thanks to all for your kind words of support. It's been quite a week, but I think we've come out with our heads above water.

We had some open discussion (once again) with son #2. I think we've come to some agreement about boundaries and expectations, and consequences for any future occurrences, which hopefully won't need to happen. He was thankful for us giving him the couple of days, and also for us not reacting explosively and trying to treat him as a 'young' adult rather than a child <believe me, this took a hell of a lot of restraint>. Reality is, we all have to live with each other and nobody needs suspicion an hostility for an everyday thing. I can only hope he's being honest with us, I guess time will tell. Things have been relatively good over the long weekend, and he heads back to school tomorrow, has to meet with his principal about his plan and so on. That part is up to him.

Eats have been decent over the weekend, though I can say I had more wine than I needed. Turning that off for the week ahead.
    Saturday's eats:
    B: coffee with cream
    L: bit of leftover steak & asparagus
    D: bison/grass fed beef patties topped with carmalized onion and butter sauteed oyster mushrooms. Wine. Strawberries & greek yogurt with shredded coconut.

Today:
    B: coffee with cream
    11am: 2 jumbo eggs over a bison/beef pattie
    D: cream of greens soup (first PB cookbook- combined the cream of greens & cream of broccoli soup recipes, used broccoli & kale plus heavy cream) topped with cheddar & parmesan, bacon & scallions, bunch of hot wings. Wine.

Yesterday I picked up some bedding plants, managed to plant my herbs and stuff: basil, oregano, rosemary, cilantro, thyme, lemon grass, cherry tomatoes, assorted lettuces, dill. More flowers and such to plant out front. Today was really chilly and not nice at all, so I need to get at that during the week. Temps overnight are supposed to be only 1C, so I think I need to cover up the basil and tomatoes.

Busy week ahead at work, and hubby is once again away from tomorrow until late Thurs. We'll see how things unfold.

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    It sounds to me like you handled things perfectly. Hopefully the little bit of leeway you gave him will encourage him to act more responsibly. I guess it's just a matter of wait and see now huh?

I would have had 'more wine than I needed' too!

I am jealous of all this talk of planting, Perth is such a desert!

Suse is offline Senior Member
    i think the trouble with teenagers is that they fail to foresee the consequences of their actions. As we get older we have a better idea of what might happen and take some risks anyway, but hopefully I think as adults we take calculated risks. But when you are younger you are bulletproof (so you think) It's trying to get through to him to contemplate possible consequences of what he does and to always think worst case scenario and then decide if it really is worth the risk.

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Greensprout View Post
    We had some open discussion (once again) with son #2. I think we've come to some agreement about boundaries and expectations, and consequences for any future occurrences, which hopefully won't need to happen. He was thankful for us giving him the couple of days, and also for us not reacting explosively and trying to treat him as a 'young' adult rather than a child <believe me, this took a hell of a lot of restraint>. Reality is, we all have to live with each other and nobody needs suspicion an hostility for an everyday thing. I can only hope he's being honest with us, I guess time will tell. Things have been relatively good over the long weekend, and he heads back to school tomorrow, has to meet with his principal about his plan and so on. That part is up to him.
    This is Good

Yesterday I picked up some bedding plants, managed to plant my herbs and stuff: basil, oregano, rosemary, cilantro, thyme, lemon grass, cherry tomatoes, assorted lettuces, dill.
    Hmm...I always plant basil - I LOVE fresh basil!! Maybe I should plant a few other herbs...

Quote Originally Posted by NourishedEm View Post
    I would have had 'more wine than I needed' too!
    Me too!!!
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

The boy is back in school, so here's hoping he'll stay on the right path. We'll see, I guess. He is cooperative, at least. Not like he really has much choice...

Didn't get in a workout once again, after work I had kid running around and then an evening soccer game for son #2. I did fast until dinner. Actually, lately many of my days have had either a planned or by chance IF for 16-18 hours. That should help with calorie reduction as long as I make wise choices and cut back the alcohol calories too.

Today's eats:
    D: 200g slow cooker roast bison, sauteed oyster mushrooms, bowl of cream of greens soup with a touch of cheddar. 2 squares lindt 70% caramel chocolate.
    S: starbucks coffee with cream at the game, 6 macadamia nut halves after.
    Feeling pretty full still. To be honest, my belly feels a tad not quite right, not particularly rumbly or queasy, maybe it was the volume of meat in one sitting after a fast? Was burping sourly a good bit at the soccer game. Guess that is a good indication no snacking is needed tonight. Took a probiotic for good measure.

A busy few days ahead, we're hosting a conference at work this week, and I have to present tomorrow, but at least it's the one I already did when we were in Alaska recently.

Covered my herbs and tomatoes again, it's calling for possibly down to -2C overnight...someday it will be summer, I hope.

My plants survived the night, but I once again have to cover them up tonight as the frost warning continues. Pain in the ass.

My presentation at the conference my office is hosting went well today. Tomorrow I just have to sit and listen. Chilly and breezy today, so although it was sunny, son #1 is at work until 10 and the other is with friends (he'd better be behaving...), so I actually sort of have an evening to myself, I really didn't feel up to a cool walk or even a LHT/PBF session. Had been fasting again today, and by the time everyone was delivered and I ran some errands, I was really hungry and decided to eat instead. Then laundry, some housecleaning and that sort of stuff that I usually put off.

IF ended up being about 20 hours. I ate around 7pm:
    half a bottle of kombucha saved from a few days ago, bowl of cream of greens soup with cheddar & scallions, and some crispy pork belly.

I know the protein is low, but I am feeling full, so I did have a scoop of protein powder in a cup of water. I used to use the stuff all the time in smoothies, but haven't had any in many months. I don't mind it in water, and I think I had plenty of fat already in the soup (has cream) and the pork.

I"m tired too. I think the past week has caught up to me, and it won't be a particularly early night again today either, as by the time I get both boys home it will probably be around 1030, so it will no doubt be past 11 by the time I head for bed. I should make a point of getting out for at least a walk or something tomorrow, and hubby will be home early evening too. Then I'm off for some meetings so away Sun afternoon until Tues evening. I think hubby's home for the next 2 weeks after that...

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    The boy is back in school, so here's hoping he'll stay on the right path. We'll see, I guess. He is cooperative, at least. Not like he really has much choice...
    He is making a choice. A good choice. He is cooperating. Don't underestimate the value of that.

I"m tired too. I think the past week has caught up to me, and it won't be a particularly early night again today either, as by the time I get both boys home it will probably be around 1030, so it will no doubt be past 11 by the time I head for bed. I should make a point of getting out for at least a walk or something tomorrow, and hubby will be home early evening too. Then I'm off for some meetings so away Sun afternoon until Tues evening. I think hubby's home for the next 2 weeks after that...
    I'd be tired too!
    Try to get some rest in there somewhere...
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Quote Originally Posted by winencandy View Post
    He is making a choice. A good choice. He is cooperating. Don't underestimate the value of that.
    I'm trying to keep that in perspective.
    Quote Originally Posted by winencandy View Post
    Try to get some rest in there somewhere...
    Not in bed till around 12 last night, but that was me poking about as the kids were both in by 1015. Both are in tonight, and hubby's home, and I'm still tired, actually even more so, so aiming for in bed by 1030ish latest.

Long day with the conference stuff, left the house at 715 and home after 530. Today's fast was about 18 hours.
    Eats:
    am: black coffee
    2 small slices pork belly while making dinner
    D: 2 medium grilled pork loin chops with SOG BBQ sauce, good pile garlic broccoli with a blob of butter.
    the last 3 slices of pork bellly.
    A glass of shiraz.
    I think I need something more to eat. Plugged this into fitday, plenty of protein, but low on calories. A bit peckish right now, will wait a bit.

Edit: found more foods. A coconut cream larabar (nicely yummy) and a couple tiny squares of 70% dark chocolate with wild blueberry/toasted hazlenut from the end of a bar I found in Anchorage recently. Forgot I had stashed the last bit in my nighttable.
    Last edited by Greensprout; 05-26-2011 at 08:02 PM. Reason: more eats

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    I hope you manage to get some good sleep tonight, you sound like you need it. I would after the week you've had!

You just reminded me that I have a slab of pork belly in my freezer. Mmmm