Page 80 of 250 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290130180 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal **Greensprout** page 80

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Greensprout View Post
    I forged ahead on workout 1 for level 3 of NROLFW today. For some reason I thought it was mostly a repeat of level 2, but it is actually a bunch of new exercises, some of which I needed to look up. Took a bit longer, figuring out the form, and what was a proper weight and so on. Felt pretty worked by the end. And then they wanted a "body weight matrix" thing...24 squats, 12 lunges each leg, 12 jumping lunges each leg, 24 jump squats. Time it, rest for twice the time the set took, then repeat. I gave it a go...holy crap, talk about a killer. Had to take some breaks during the jumping stuff, couldn't possibly do them all back to back. Took 3 min 43 seconds, so walked slowly for the rest, then against my rational sense of reason, repeated. This time took 3 min 55 seconds. Totally spent, this was at noon and my legs still feel like tree stumps. Probably should have gone in the hot tub, but just thought of that now and can't really be bothered. Going to be feeling this all day tomorrow, I'm sure. Workout was at 12 hours fasted.
    Ok, now I feel completely inadequate.

Greensprout is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NourishedEm View Post
    Ok, now I feel completely inadequate.
    Really, no need to feel that way. I could barely walk to the locker room after that was done! Besides, you're the one dropping the kg lately, not me.

Today was the last lovely day before it starts to rain/snow for the weekend. I'm fasting today, and managed to squeeze in an hour 20 min walk to a lovely park, so I'm thinking probably around 5 miles or a bit more.

Planning to eat soon, right now I'm just over 21 hours, not waiting for 24, I had decided to have a bit of a snack later last evening. Still rather bloaty today. I'm sure that will go away soon. Sure hope so, anyway. No more diet coke.

Ended the fast with my first tin of smoked kippers...yes, rather odd, but I had bought them a while ago and wasn't ready to try them, so I figured a time when I'm hungry is the right time to try...they were not too bad at all. Just ate them plain out of the tin. Then some shrimp with butter & garlic over spinach, later a mix of 2 squares melted 85% chocolate/creamed coconut/almond butter/macadamia butter/toasted coconut. Was going to have it with an apple, but put it in the freezer to harden a bit and left it by mistake until it was rather hard, broke it into small chunks and it was fabulous on its own. A NorCal margarita and a couple of glasses of wine.

Today is very rainy, it seems everybody is out doing shopping today. Up early to take son #1 to a staff meeting, then groceries. Home to throw a grass fed beef roast in a low oven, roasted bones and now I have a slowcooker of bison marrow bones simmering for stock, which I will leave alone now until sometime tomorrow. Costco run for other stuff. Now I feel like a nap since I was up early and because I can! The roast needs probably another couple of hours anyway.

I did get a call from the ER for an evening shift today, which I declined. I haven't been there in months, I really should as I could use the extra cash...but prefer to book a shift rather than short notice calls when I already have things planned or at least in mind. I should get back to calling in earlier in the week to see if they have shifts available on the weekends that I'm free.

The bloatiness seems to have subsided, mostly, anyway. I don't feel as "thick" as I was for the last couple of days.

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    Son #2 has a school team soccer game right after school across town, had to leave work early to get him there with gear, so worked through what could have been a lunch hour walk. They won. Nice to see him playing, instead of wondering what he's up to out with friends.
    yup
    I've been looking over the first few pages of this journal.
    I should review mine too...
    I had the most success in the past when I was doing more frequent IFs. Not just a no breakfast so more of an eating window sort of thing, but actual 18-24 hour IF even 2 times a week. Haven't had a longer than 16 or 18 hour fast in quite some time.
    Hmmm
    I do daily "no breakfast" fasts, and I've occasionally gone until 2 or so...
    Hmmm...maybe...
    Other point: reviewing the food journals, it seems that I'm eating more now. Epiphany moment. Shouldn't take a brain surgeon to figure out that eating more does not result in fat loss, when the ingested amounts are closer to the 2000 cal range...Duh.
    ...I think I came to this conclusion a while ago while that reality check/counting calories thread was ongoing. Perhaps the realization was not quite enough to move me to action. I think seeing the same thing in my own journal is more of the kick in the ass that I needed to see.
    Yeah, it works...but it is a PITA!
    Maybe reducing without counting??? (but I don't think I'm very good at that)
    I forged ahead on workout 1 for level 3 of NROLFW today. For some reason I thought it was mostly a repeat of level 2, but it is actually a bunch of new exercises, some of which I needed to look up. Took a bit longer, figuring out the form, and what was a proper weight and so on. Felt pretty worked by the end. And then they wanted a "body weight matrix" thing...24 squats, 12 lunges each leg, 12 jumping lunges each leg, 24 jump squats. Time it, rest for twice the time the set took, then repeat. I gave it a go...holy crap, talk about a killer. Had to take some breaks during the jumping stuff, couldn't possibly do them all back to back. Took 3 min 43 seconds, so walked slowly for the rest, then against my rational sense of reason, repeated. This time took 3 min 55 seconds. Totally spent, this was at noon and my legs still feel like tree stumps. Probably should have gone in the hot tub, but just thought of that now and can't really be bothered. Going to be feeling this all day tomorrow, I'm sure. Workout was at 12 hours fasted.
    My legs ache just reading that!
    Son #2 has his first club soccer game of the season on Sun morning, when it's forecast to be 0C with rain/snow. Typical. The last 2 days have been 19C.
    Don't ya just luv Canadian "springs" ???
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

later a mix of 2 squares melted 85% chocolate/creamed coconut/almond butter/macadamia butter/toasted coconut. Was going to have it with an apple, but put it in the freezer to harden a bit and left it by mistake until it was rather hard, broke it into small chunks and it was fabulous on its own.
    That sounds wonderful!

....(winencandy leaves to go check her supplies...)
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Today's eats:
    B: coffee with coconut milk (a great treat and a change from the black)
    L: strawberries with greek yogurt and coconut flakes. One pepperoni stick
    S: 6 almonds

Edit to add that I had several tastes of the marrow when roasting the bison bones for the stock. Yummy with a sprinkle of himalayan sea salt.

I just made (and devoured) the most fabulous dinner. Perhaps a critic might say all the elements didn't go together harmoniously, but I loved each and every one and am very pleased with myself.

D:
    Deli style roast beef from the original PB cookbook, used a grass fed cross rib roast, 7 hours in a very low oven, and amazingly tasty medium rare.
    Roasted sweet potato chunks tossed with coconut oil and seasoned with cinnamon & cayenne.
    Roasted brussel sprouts, broccoli & cauliflower drizzled with bacon fat.
    Oyster mushrooms sauteed in butter with celtic sea salt and a splash of lemon. Wow. I love mushrooms.
    Glass of merlot.

I'm totally satisfied with this meal and all is well with the world.

Last edited by Greensprout; 04-30-2011 at 07:43 PM. Reason: added the marrow snack

Ellie G is offline Senior Member
    Deli style roast beef from the original PB cookbook, used a grass fed cross rib roast, 7 hours in a very low oven, and amazingly tasty medium rare.
    Roasted sweet potato chunks tossed with coconut oil and seasoned with cinnamon & cayenne.
    Roasted brussel sprouts, broccoli & cauliflower drizzled with bacon fat.
    Oyster mushrooms sauteed in butter with celtic sea salt and a splash of lemon. Wow. I love mushrooms.
    *falls over with jealousy*

Quote Originally Posted by winencandy View Post
    Don't ya just luv Canadian "springs" ???
    Woke up to SNOW for May first...a couple of cm, and below zero all day. Fortunately the game was cancelled.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellie G View Post
    *falls over with jealousy*
    Aw, shucks! You too can have this most excellent meal...easy peasy!

Out and about today, picked up a few tshirts and such. Waiting to get any new bottoms until mine shrinks a bit more. Lots of browsing at the mall.

My bison bone stock is still simmering in the slowcooker, been over 24 hours, I think I'll leave it on until tomorrow, what the heck. Roasted up the last of my giant hudderite chickens, smeared it all over under the skin with bacon fat and roasted on a rack, looks fantastic. I nibbled some of the incredibly crispy skin, but this bird is for tomorrow's meal.

Today's eats:
    B: coffee with coconut milk. A few slices of roast beef and 3 sweet potato cubes.
    D: salmon in butter with lemon & dill, roasted eggplant, peppers & mushrooms, steamed garlic broccoli. A couple spoonsful of white rice. A vodka soda while prepping.

Last night I took a tiny bit of hubby's praline & cream haagen daz ice cream...he went out and bought a small container Fri night, I took maybe 2 teaspoons worth last night. Nice, but way sweet. I chose wine instead.

My legs are still feeling rather stiff and sore this week, both from Thursday's LHT and Friday's long walk. First thing in the morning I'm walking funny until I loosen up. Maybe a bath or a hot tub later.

I'm totally satisfied with this meal and all is well with the world.

Woke up to SNOW for May first...a couple of cm, and below zero all day. Fortunately the game was cancelled.
    Snow in May...those words just don't belong together...
    "Moderation sucks." Suse

Winencandy

Metismomma is offline Senior Member
    Haha, snow in May! Reminds me of a funny story.
    My best friend's birthday is June 3rd and she decided to have her birthday party/sleepover the weekend before(she was turning 12?) Anyway, the day of the party was beautiful, we all stayed up late and slept outside in her treehouse that night. Woke up the next morning to a foot of snow. Yup, that was special. I was wearing sandals...
    Ok, you had to be there.
    Its not as bad as snow in June..or July..or August...
    Bison bone stock, roast chicken omnomnomnom sounds delicious!
    Calm the f**k down.