Page 76 of 264 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886126176 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal **Greensprout** page 76

superdeluxe is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I hurt all over. It's a combination of muscle pain and sunburn. I thought I would go to bed for a few hours when i got home at 11..well, it's 4 now and I don't intend to get up anytime soon! I think my chores will have to wait until after work tomorrow. I'm going to do my veg shopping tomorrow and pick up lots of things to blanch. I feel like I have some great ideas for preparing food ahead of time. When I read my old journal I could see that the times I was most successful with PB I was eating simpler meals, with less fruit and dairy. It's obvious when you look at other people's journals, but sometimes it takes a little distance to see it yourself. Anyway, I had my fruit fix this weekend---more than I've had in an entire year!

It was so great to meet you and your husband at Primal Con. It was such a positive, fun crowd of people. Caroline, Suz and I took a brief un-Primal detour to an outlet mall on our way back to LA, and then went to see the Hollywood sign. Caroline is a much better driver (even on our side of the road) than I am! Did you have a relaxing night at your hotel?

In the end, I think I got just what I needed from Primal Con: Inspiration to recommit myself fully (after spending three days with really healthy, fit people) and ideas for how to make it happen.
    Il faut vivre et non pas seulement exister.

Suse is offline Senior Member
    In the end, I think I got just what I needed from Primal Con: Inspiration to recommit myself fully (after spending three days with really healthy, fit people) and ideas for how to make it happen.
    I like this!

Greensprout is offline Senior Member
    Wow, where do I even begin? I think my PrimalCon experience will come out over several posts, as I can't possibly remember and put down everything at once, and it would be far too long anyway!

Absolutely amazing, inspiring weekend. Supremely heavy on the physical plane, which was great and pushed me to work hard, go for it, and have fun at the same time. Sharing the experience with hubby was a major bonus. Those of you who have been reading along for a while know that he's mostly been following, but now he has new perspective, including directly from Mark himself. Hubby is actually planning on getting some VFFs after the experience and the session with Barefoot Ted, and can be quoted as saying "WHEN (not IF) we come back next year..." Hooray! How cool is that??

I met some fantastic people...Superdeluxe, Melodious, Timothy (who made the most awesome Yellow Team Leader spurring us onto victory in the survivor challenge), Paleobird, Michmich, cpb, kristiankristiansen, lars1000, primal toad, and many more... A great bunch of primal peeps! Lots of the attendees are people who read but are not very active in the forums, but are just as on board as those of us who frequent the boards. And it was a very diverse group...from those uber fit 'kids' in their 20s to lots of us in our 40s to those a lot older, all of varying fitness levels, some new to PB and some who've been following for a couple of years.

Best part of the weekend? Hard to choose, have to think about that for a bit before I reply to Mark's blog post for today. (and I have to add, that primal fitness challenge totally KICKED MY ASS...one of the toughest 3 and a half minutes ever, even at the basic level...but I beat hubby by 3 seconds, heheheh). Everything was of value. Barefoot Ted is inspiring. The sprinting session...practicing sprinting without using your arms (think of them as noodles) felt amazing and made me laugh out loud every time. Survivor team challenge we came from behind to kick butt and win with an incredible group effort, and having Mark actually ON our team didn't hurt, haha. I loved the game of ultimate frisbee, managed to score a few points and gave it my all with tons of sprints and diving rolls across the field. Even had some compliments from Mark, which was too cool Mark's son Aaron was the ringer on our team, that kid can throw! Posture with Esther, cooking with Chef Rachel...wow. So much learned and to incorporate into my life. Am trying to remember Esther's direction to squeeze the medial glute with each step while walking...and the samba class...how to have uninhibited fun while feeling totally uncoordinated!! She is fantastic! And the impromtu Q&A with Mark on Sunday morning was enough to keep my from trying the obstacle course, so much to take in and put into practice.

Overall, I'm sore, my face is peeling (good grief, should know better...but pleased to know that I know I'm not the only one!!), I'm inspired to take this journey onto the next level.

I've decided to take tomorrow off work and get sorted out. Coincidentally, I had a phone call this evening from a local bison farmer...he's coming by the neighbourhood tomorrow with a full truckload, so I can get a batch of lovely bison meat at my door in the afternoon...must be fate!

And the kids survived. Some minor points...some work to do, but not insurmountable.

Pink Grokoddess is offline Senior Member
    Oh wow .. it sounds like you had an AMAZING time!!! I am so looking forward to going to the next one!
    "If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place." Nora Roberts

Start December 20th 2010: 177 lbs
    Currant: 136 lbs
    Goal: 125 lbs
    11 more lbs to go

Follow My Journey :-)

Sounds fantastic. I'm thrilled for you that you had such an awesome time, and that hubby is so inspired by it too. Just a thought, perhaps you could take the kids with you next year... who knows, it might just get them on a whole new plane of thought!!!

Yeah so you are totally going to have to share some stuff with us... the activating the glutes bit... I need to know more about this... I have actually bought Esther's book, must get it out and have a re-read... I just do not activate my butt enough hence I have no butt!

And what about the parboiling....

I want to know EVERYTHING!

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    It DOES sound fantastic!!
    I want to know everything too!!!

I have Esther's book too, it's on my "to read" list...however, I have managed to "loose" it...it's here somewhere...I have a feeling that it's in the piano bench that the 47" TV is sitting on

And of course the kids survived
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

I slept in, and spent the day restocking the kitchen, doing a few errands, and catching up a bit on MDA posts. Glad I took today off to sort things out.

Score today on bison meat. "Mr. Bison", as he calls himself, made a run into the city towing his trailer filled with 8 chest freezers full of all cuts of bison, which he raises on pasture. Spent over $200 (ack!) on ground, roasts, steaks, short ribs, gluten & nitrite free smokies and sausage, and 4 huge packages of marrow bones for stock. Nice indeed.

Suse & winencandy, cool that you have Esther's book, I didn't buy it, but may at some point. Biggest thing she instructed was to not tuck your pelvis in (like we were all told through the 80s and 90s in exercises classes, you know, the pelvic tilt thing) but have it out behind you. There should be a slight curve in the low back, but not in the upper back. And when you walk, you should be squeezing the medial glute muscle, which not only helps with gait and posture, but also for esthetic reasons (think photos of bare bottomed tribal peoples...you have that cool photo in her book).

Chef Rachel had some great ideas about prepping foods ahead so that during the week it's really easy to throw something healthy and tasty together without taking forever. She suggests parboiling (blanching) all veg that can be then stored in the fridge for use raw as crudites or than added to stir fry, or whatever. I'd never really thought about that before. It makes them more easily digestible, apparently. She make us some killer nut butter based dips with herbs and garlic. Her cookbook would be great to have as well, they sold out quickly at PrimalCon, but can be ordered off her website.

Melodious noted on another thread about gaining 5 lbs over the PrimalCon weekend...so true! We all probably ate way higher carb with all the fruit than most of us usually do, so likely just water weight, granted, the food was so amazing that everyone had heaping plates at every meal. Too good to not do so. Plus today was the start of my cycle (so happy it held out till I got home), so no doubt that is also playing a role.

I'm going to have to think about my workout routine. The lifting with NROLFW is going well, but kind of tedious and non exciting. This weekend we did so much without equipment, so not sure what direction to take. We have a 4 day weekend coming up for Easter, so should get some planning done on this front soon, nice to not have studying to worry about!

More on PrimalCon later, and should have some photos soon too. If you have any specific questions about the weekend, I'd be happy to answer...

Oh, could add today's eats:
    B: black coffee
    L: nada. not really hungry, had plenty over the past few days
    D: grilled pork sirloin marinated in evoo/lemon/garlic/oregano/rosemary, roasted veg in bacon fat - asparagus, peppers, cauliflower, broccoli, mushrooms.
    S: kind of hungry a few hours later, so half a cup or so of greek yogurt with a few berries and coconut shreds. A pepperoni stick. 2 glasses of red.
    Last edited by Greensprout; 04-19-2011 at 08:23 PM. Reason: foods

superdeluxe is offline Senior Member
    I made blanched cauliflower tonight, which was excellent. My dip was not...I only had almond butter, and I used the chipotle variation with wheat-free tamari sauce. It came out very soyish. It actually tasted kind of good on my steak. But I think for a veggie dip, I'd stick with the salt. i wish I had had a chance to look through her book.$45 is a lot to spend if I'm not sure how much I'm going to use it...Might have to wait until next year's event to peruse it and decide if want to purchase it.
    Last edited by superdeluxe; 04-19-2011 at 08:43 PM. Reason: clarity
    Il faut vivre et non pas seulement exister.

hmm interesting on the parboiling. I dont really like the whole crudite thing, eg carrot, it's just too crunchy for me, so perhaps parboiling to just take that edge off might work for me and then I wouldnt eat so many rice crackers. Will think about that.

I need to locate that medial glute I'm not sure i have one? lol

Today I ordered Perfect Health Diet. Just thought I'd get some other perspectives.

Suse, if you don't like the crunch of raw veg, then the parboiling would be perfect for you. I'm going to give it a try this weekend. And yes, you have a medial glute. Think of it as sort of the upper outer part of the cheek...put a hand there, and think about squeezing when you walk. I'm sure Esther describes this in her book.

Lots to catch up on at work today. Got to get working on a presentation for a panel I'm on for the conference in Alaska in 3 weeks. At least it's brief. And so nice to go to work with peeling skin on my nose and forehead...ah well. Coconut oil, aloe vera and jojoba oil are my friends.

Strangely, I didn't really feel much like doing my lifting today. Correction, I think I didn't feel motivated to lift in the gym, after all the crazy body weight and less structured and traditional stuff we did at PrimalCon. I did go, but not until the end of the workday, as I decided to change things up and eat a big breakfast and skip lunch, rather than the reverse, as I usually do for work. At lunch, I was still feeling quite full, and am so used to lifting when fasted, that I wasn't ready. So the gym was at 3pm. Second last workout of level 2 NROLFW. Was a bit taxing, but I felt pretty good once it was done. Still undecided about carrying on with this program, more thought needed. Definitely will continue LHT of one sort or another, and incorporating sprints. And hubby has agreed we need to get out walking every day over the long weekend. Good stuff.

Today's eats:
    B: black coffee, 3 jumbo egg omelet with last night's dinner inside: pork, mushrooms, peppers, asparagus, plus spinach. Cooked it up, threw it in a container and promptly devoured at my desk once arriving at work.
    L: still full. Few cups of assorted green tea through the day. Bit of coconut oil pre workout.
    S: after work, and workout, getting hungry. One pepperoni stick and a few almonds.
    D: BAS with grilled flank steak. Yum. I love my hand immersion blender for making salad dressings: today - evoo/avocado oil/balsamic/acv/thyme/garlic/shallot/back pepper/grainy dijon.
    Glass of cabernet.

Time to retool the eating plan as well. I don't want to count/measure/obsess...which is easy to do when doing the first 2 things. Focus on protein, then fat, and add in good carbs. Eat fruit and dairy if I feel I need it (or really want it) here and there, just not daily. Focus on protein. Don't eat if not hungry. Focus on protein. Did I say focus on protein? Maybe add in some coconut oil again. I think the key is to keep things simple.

Friday I will be weighing, measuring, and then putting the scale away for a while. Already, a couple of pounds of the weekend away water weight is gone. By Friday, all the hormonal stuff should be out of the way too, so a level playing field.

Plan to keep the momentum of PrimalCon going...and seriously, if you have the means to go next year, REALLY consider doing it. Worth every penny.

Chef Rachel put up a post on PrimalCon on her blog today: http://www.thehealthycookingcoach.com/ She has links to the parboiling of vegetables and the dips she made, which tasted fantastic. I'll be making some on the weekend.
    Last edited by Greensprout; 04-20-2011 at 08:22 PM. Reason: link to Chef Rachel