Page 7 of 261 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal **Greensprout** page 7

Greensprout is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Off to Paris tomorrow!!! I'm so excited...

I'm even trying something really different for me, and traveling for a week with no checked luggage. Have minimized the stuff, including what was the most challenging...the toiletries. Have packed and have plenty of room to spare in 2 carryons. I was very skeptical that it could be done (sure, okay for some people, but I like my stuff!), but have impressed myself, and definitely my hubby, who encouraged me to do this.

Yesterday was son #1's 15th birthday. He had a soccer game in the evening, so no big special supper or cake, and he's trying to follow our eating style, so didn't ask for one (usually it's an ice cream cake he wants).
    B: coffee with milk
    L: coconut cream with coconut oil
    S: handful of almonds and some chorizo after work, before picking mom up from the airport before the game
    D: close to 10pm, bunch of crispy pork belly with 3 eggs fried in the fat. Shared a bottle of cab merlot with mom.

Today:
    Off work, lots of last minute errands and briefing mom on the hectic schedule she'll have with the kids for the next week.
    B: coffee with milk
    L: cashews, chorizo
    S: cappucino
    D: garlic broccoli with butter, grilled pork sirloin marinated in yogurt, lemon, garlic, evoo, rosemary and oregano, marinated eggplant (evoo/red wine vinegar/splash of balsamic) grilled, then topped with fresh tomato and mozzarella and broiled until the cheese was bubbly. Most excellent. More wine.

So off tomorrow to Paris until next Sunday. Aiming to stay mainly primal, but the 20% will be stretched. Plan to thoroughly enjoy myself, and not end up eating a ton of garbage just to feel like crap. Should be an amazing holiday.

Be back in a week with a report. Salut!

Suse is offline Senior Member
    have a totally awesome holiday!

Had a most excellent week in Paris, got home around midnight last night (off work today), and am really feeling the jet lag. Back to work in the morning.

80/20? Let's just say that we were a little lax on that. But completely enjoyed the whole experience. At least we did a heck of a lot of "moving frequently at a slow pace"...like a good 10-15 km worth of walking daily. Great wine and yes, some Belgian beers, gave in to the grain and enjoyed baguettes and croissantes almondes.

Will post more hopefully tomorrow, need to get some sleep now. Regardless of deviating from primal eating, I'm okay with that, I had a thoroughly enjoyable holiday and now plan to dive back into being primal. Expect a bit of carb detox over the next week.

On another note, I lent my extra copy of the PB book to Mom while she was here with the kids, and she plans to jump in herself. So the extra copy goes home with her, and I'm thrilled.

Welcome back GS. I am looking forward to hearing more about your holiday. Perhaps you should take some coconut oil for your jet lag... been doing some reading about it and am thinking it could be my next new thing... I did try a small teaspoon the other day in its solid form and it was bloody awful, but I think I'll have another crack at it.

Bit of a crazy week. Paris was fabulous.

Stayed more primal as far as the eating for the first few days, then a bit more straying toward the end of the week. Lots of great wine, cheese, Belgian beer, fois gras, and (no offense to anyone intended) DAMN the French for their baguettes and pastries!! I've had no cravings for bread and few for baked goods since starting on the primal track in March, but couldn't resist in Paris. Truthfully, didn't go too overboard that much, but did indulge in a bit of baguette daily and then there were the croissantes almondes...

Did a huge amount of "moving frequently at a slow pace", as we walked a good 10-15 km daily seeing the sights around the city. A bit too much Vitamin D exposure the second day strolling along the Champs de Elysee, got a bit of a sunburn, but pretty much better within a day or so.

Did good for breakfasts; variety of eggs, fruit, yogurt, coffee, some days bacon. Found that most cafes/brasseries had great BAS for lunchtimes, many included bacon, avocado and hard boiled egg, along with cheese and procuitto. Otherwise, vegetables were scarce among restaurant picks. Had lovely beef (steaks), lamb, fois gras, mussels. Found that main courses were typically served with frites (fries), and sometimes roasted or mashed potato, which we did indulge in to some extent. It was a holiday, after all. And we did have a few desserts, but not crazy. The last few nights, we had picked up some almond croissants earlier in the day and had those with a final bit of wine or champagne to end the night.

Was silly enough to step on the scale the first night home, and saw a rather dismaying rise in weight from pre holiday, but over the next 4 days dropped 7 lbs, likley mostly water due to the higher carb consumption. Currently about 2-3 lbs up from pre holiday weight, so no big deal.

Unfortunately, I managed to end up with some pretty significant back pain after the last leg of the flight home. I think it was more due to trying to sleep in the economy airline seat than anything else, but regardless, really bad low back pain since Monday. Did my 2 clinical shifts at the hospital, being very cautious about guarding my back when moving patients, but by yesterday it felt worse. So saw the doc, and ended up off the last 2 days with pain killers and muscle relaxant meds. Not fun. Painful even to try to put on socks!! Hoping that taking it easy over the weekend will make things a bit better.

Will try to post a few pics from the trip, have some good food photos! Too tired now to figure out how...though I think I did manage the avatar...is at a cafe by Notre Dame cathedral.

Farmers market opens for the season here tomorrow, planning to go by and look for some local eggs and grass fed meat. Need to pick up and plant some flowers too, but that might have to wait until the back is feeling better. Right now even doing the laundry today was painful.

sorry to hear you are back home and in pain. no fun whatsoever. Your parisian holiday sounds fabulous... I am going to New Caledonia in july so fully expect baguettes and croissants to make an appearance in my diet. Incredible the weight gain even with all that walking you were doing. I wonder why it is that the carb consumption increases our water weight... I have never really fully understood water weight

Made it to the Farmers Market yesterday. Picked up some organic free range eggs for less than the grocery store (and tastier), ground bison, a free range chicken, and some garlic sausage, as well as lettuces and radishes. Will have to try and get there more often this season, is less than 10 min drive, and now open Saturdays until Oct.

Yesterday's eats:

B/L: coffee with cream. No real meal, just a few nibbles when I felt like it: turkey pepperoni stick, cashews, few cherries.
    D: Friends over. BBQ steak, grilled asparagus, green salad, fresh veg salad. They brought dessert, fruit salad with orange-vanilla yogurt topping. One beer and a couple glasses of wine (chose to skip the painkillers for the back pain, probably not the smartest move). Nice dinner, though.

Today:

B/L: coffee with cream, 2 fresh eggs fried in butter with a few oz leftover steak & mushrooms also warmed in butter. So good!
    D: Will cook up the free range chicken we found at the market, probably roasted veggies.

Still not comfortable today and in need of pain meds. Might have to get re-looked at tomorrow. Did get a referral for physio, that might be a good idea. Keeping fingers crossed at feeling better tomorrow.

Big news for the day...just ordered 55 lbs of local 100% grass fed/free range meat. Variety pack of beef, berkshire pork (an 'heirloom' variety) and lamb. Supposed to be ready within a couple of weeks. Quite excited about this. If we like what we get, we will probably go in with friends (aka cowpooling) for a larger order. Also the friend over last night has a connection to getting us some free range chickens from a local Hudderite community for a really decent price, so hopefully will be getting some of those soon too. Hooray for meat!

Thought I'd add a few Paris holiday photos. My first try at this, hopefully it works...

Here's a lovely appetizer we shared one dinner, shredded crab on top of avocado and tomato, topped with a creamy mayo dressing

Lovely dinner cobb salad the first night had greens, tomato, avocado, blue cheese, chicken and of course, bacon:

Found the best primal style restaurant one night, what could be better than one with a sign of "meat restaurant...meat and champagne"??? I was very happy that night.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Greensprout; 06-06-2010 at 09:13 PM. Reason: major typo...shredded crap is not a good idea!

MeatMe216 is offline Senior Member
    damn, i need to dine in paris sometime. Awsome photos

pics look good GS. Tres bien! HOpe your back is feeling a bit better!

Page 7 of 261 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast