Page 63 of 272 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573113163 ... LastLast
Results 621 to 630 of 2714

Thread: Primal Journal **Greensprout** page 63

  1. #621
    winencandy's Avatar
    winencandy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    4,639
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Greensprout View Post
    Managed about 7 hours of sleep last night despite the late evening and stupid DST loss of an hour. Kind of a rough start due to the huge meal and wine (and special coffee and cognac...), but manageable.

    Didn't do much productive today. Surfed the net, picked up some veggies that weren't in the store yesterday due to the storm. Made SOG BBQ sauce for the chicken. I think an early night is in order. Just need to actually do it.
    You did more than me. I had another PJ day

    Quote Originally Posted by Greensprout View Post
    I took a look through the first few pages of my journal, which I started nearly a year ago. There's the obvious, like a predominant theme of not enough sleep and too frequent partaking in the grape or various other libations. The other thing that jumped out at me is that when I compare my food intake now to when I was seeing some downward movement on the scale is that I used to IF one or two days a week for 18-24 hours, and in general, I'm currently eating more. Primal yes, but more in quantity. As much as I hate to have to admit, I think Paleobird's thread about calories is on the right track, at least for some of us at some points in time. I'm not gaining, and I am seeing some subtle positive changes in body composition since adding back in the workouts, but the stubborn body fat in the lower half persists. Hmmm. I really don't want to start tracking seriously, but am coming to the realization that I may need to cut back on the quantities to reach my goals. That's on top of the need for more sleep and play, and cutting way back on the wine.
    Wow! A year!

    Yeah, I think quantities do matter

    And I agree about the sleep, play and wine
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield


    Winencandy

  2. #622
    Greensprout's Avatar
    Greensprout is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Manitoba, Canada
    Posts
    3,017
    Here is Friday's dinner. Baby romaine with acv/lemon/evoo/thyme/garlic, seared scallops, roasted asparagus & bacon wrapped beef tenderloin with merlot reduction.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  3. #623
    Suse's Avatar
    Suse is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    2,547
    looks like a yummy dinner but I have to say if that was a regular meal for me, I'd be packing on the weight!

  4. #624
    Greensprout's Avatar
    Greensprout is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Manitoba, Canada
    Posts
    3,017
    Quote Originally Posted by Suse View Post
    looks like a yummy dinner but I have to say if that was a regular meal for me, I'd be packing on the weight!
    Hmmm. And I didn't consider it a particularly large dinner...though I normally wouldn't have had the scallops with the steak (hubby wanted them), I would have had a much larger steak instead! Maybe that's part of the issue . Granted I'd not eaten much during that day...

  5. #625
    Greensprout's Avatar
    Greensprout is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Manitoba, Canada
    Posts
    3,017
    Good workout today of LHT. NROLFW level 1 workout A, increased the weights as the reps went down. 3 sets of 8 reps each of: squats @ 85lb, full pushups x 10 reps, low pulley rows @ 65lb, step ups @ 40lb, stability ball jackknives x 15 reps. Then 35 min brisk walking on the treadmill. My legs are tired.

    Mom's taxi on for soccer practice right after work, then home at 630, made dinner, then out again as hubby wanted to get our taxes done, so finally home at nearly 930. Had plans for homework, but not at this point.

    I looked through the calorie counting thread by Paleobird, and as much as I don't like the idea of having to count, I believe there is merit in it, particularly for at least a while. So today I aimed a little different and tried to eat for adequate protein and not "bring on the fat". Fared decently when plugging into fitday (haven't tried out any of the other sites, that many seem to find better), though I'm a bit hungry. I think I'll ignore that for tonight, as it's not big hunger. Did choose to have a bit of cabernet to end the night. Better than yesterday, when I had half a cup of ice cream and a few potato chips.

    B: coffee with coconut milk
    L: (post workout) BAS with mixed greens, cucumber, cauliflower, celery, 2 HB eggs, a few cherry tomato & mozza balls (leftovers brought home from Saturday's dinner party) with evoo/balsamic/garlic dressing, and 2 SOG chicken thighs. Skipped the coconut.
    D: sauteed mushrooms & zucchini topped with grassfed beef in pasta sauce with a shaving of fresh parmesan. Belatedly realized the only pasta sauce in the pantry has soybean oil, but chose to have it anyway.
    S: one chicken drum, a glass of red.

    Fitday totals:
    Calories: 1728
    Protein: 108 g 26%
    Carbs: 49 g 11%
    Fat: 103 g 54%
    Alcohol: (148 cal) 11%

    A lot less than I think I've been having lately. The macro amounts and ratios (not counting the wine) seem to be pretty much where they probably should be. Interesting.

    We'll see where this goes.

  6. #626
    Greensprout's Avatar
    Greensprout is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Manitoba, Canada
    Posts
    3,017
    Did my first sprints today in a very long time . I did an hour brisk walk on the treadmill, but after warming up, I did 6 30 second sprints, walking in between for a minute and a half or so. Was in my VFFs, so am feeling it a bit in my calves this evening. And my bum and quads are heavy, but the good kind of well used heavy.

    I've had 3 people in the gym ask me about my VFFs in the last 2 days. They're curious and very interested.

    I picked a copy of Curly Girl, as winencandy's discussion about it got me intrigued. Not sure when I'll get a chance to read it, but I have it, anyway.

    Today's eats:
    B: black coffee
    L: (post workout) BAS with mixed greens, spinach, celery, red pepper, cucumber, red cabbage, evoo/acv/balsamic (damn, forgot the dijon), 2 HB eggs and 2 small chicken thighs
    D: pork sirloin strips with a chardonnay thyme cream sauce, roasted cauliflower, brussel sprouts and mushrooms.

    Plugged it all into Fitday again, for "fun". I get a kick out of the fact that the BAS (I use a 6 cup plastic container to put it in) with everything is over 600 calories.

    Calories: 1583
    Fat: 98 g (56%)
    Carbs: 52 g (12%)
    Protein: 123 g (32%)

    Will try to keep things reigned in for another few days and see where this goes. So far so good.
    Last edited by Greensprout; 03-15-2011 at 06:16 PM.

  7. #627
    winencandy's Avatar
    winencandy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    4,639
    Quote Originally Posted by Greensprout View Post
    Good workout today of LHT. NROLFW level 1 workout A, increased the weights as the reps went down. 3 sets of 8 reps each of: squats @ 85lb, full pushups x 10 reps, low pulley rows @ 65lb, step ups @ 40lb, stability ball jackknives x 15 reps. Then 35 min brisk walking on the treadmill. My legs are tired.
    Great workout!

    Quote Originally Posted by Greensprout View Post
    I looked through the calorie counting thread by Paleobird, and as much as I don't like the idea of having to count, I believe there is merit in it, particularly for at least a while.
    Yeah, I know

    Quote Originally Posted by Greensprout View Post
    So today I aimed a little different and tried to eat for adequate protein and not "bring on the fat".

    Fitday totals:
    Calories: 1728
    Protein: 108 g 26%
    Carbs: 49 g 11%
    Fat: 103 g 54%
    Alcohol: (148 cal) 11%

    A lot less than I think I've been having lately. The macro amounts and ratios (not counting the wine) seem to be pretty much where they probably should be. Interesting.

    We'll see where this goes.
    Good ratios.

    Quote Originally Posted by Greensprout View Post
    Did my first sprints today in a very long time . I did an hour brisk walk on the treadmill, but after warming up, I did 6 30 second sprints, walking in between for a minute and a half or so. Was in my VFFs, so am feeling it a bit in my calves this evening. And my bum and quads are heavy, but the good kind of well used heavy.

    I've had 3 people in the gym ask me about my VFFs in the last 2 days. They're curious and very interested.
    Excellent workout!
    I was in North by Northwest today and they said they were hoping to get the VFFs soon.

    Quote Originally Posted by Greensprout View Post
    I picked a copy of Curly Girl, as winencandy's discussion about it got me intrigued. Not sure when I'll get a chance to read it, but I have it, anyway.


    Quote Originally Posted by Greensprout View Post
    Plugged it all into Fitday again, for "fun". I get a kick out of the fact that the BAS (I use a 6 cup plastic container to put it in) with everything is over 600 calories.

    Calories: 1583
    Fat: 98 g (56%)
    Carbs: 52 g (12%)
    Protein: 123 g (32%)

    Will try to keep things reigned in for another few days and see where this goes. So far so good.
    Fun! Yeah...
    Yeah, the first time I punched in a BAS I was surprised!
    You are doing a great job with your protein!
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield


    Winencandy

  8. #628
    Suse's Avatar
    Suse is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    2,547
    well done on the sprints. no running for me until I know the ankle is better I think, I'd probably just faceplant!

    aw you've got curly girly too! I doubt whether I'll find it in NZ and I'm trying not to use my credit card at the mo, so it will have to wait.

    One of these days I might have to track my numbers, but I really just dont think I could be bothered. Yup, I'm lazy.

  9. #629
    Greensprout's Avatar
    Greensprout is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Manitoba, Canada
    Posts
    3,017
    Thanks w&c!

    Suse, sometimes I feel lazy for months at a time, you just need to get started when you're ready. And once I get going, it feels good, and I want to move more. I'm aiming to not "fall off" the workout wagon this time around.

    LHT day. NROLFW level 1 workout B. Only 2 more workouts and I'm moving onto level 2, should look at that soon! And I think I finally got the form right for deadlifts. I looked it up, and got in what seemed to be the correct position relative to the bar, remembered while squeezing the glutes to lift to push the hips forward (or as son #1 says "humping the air"), and it felt just right.

    3 sets each of 8 reps of: deadlifts @ 65 lb (still going slow on adding the weight here);
    dumbell shoulder press @ 20 lbs each side
    wide grip pulldowns @ 70 lb
    lunges with 50 lbs
    stability ball crunches with 5 kg medicine ball in hands over head x 15 reps per set.

    Then 30 min at 70% HR on the elliptical for some variety.

    I'm still following the reality check: calorie counting thread with interest. Quite the differing points of view over there!

    I'm thinking that upping the protein is a good thing. I'm feeling totally filled up right now after supper, and quite surprised at the calorie totals. They're close to exactly what I figured out as "idea" for loss from doing some further research. Of course yesterday looked good too, but I did have a bit of wine and 2 squares of chocolate later on.

    Today's eats:
    B: coffee black
    L: (post workout) 2 HB eggs, 1/2 a small avocado, one tomato, all tossed with fresh lime and a bit of hot sauce, 2 small chicken drums and one thigh.
    S: 6 oz grass fed beef patties on a bed of 1/2 cup kale and 1/2 cup brussel sprouts, topped with 2 runny fried eggs.

    Fitday totals:
    Calories: 1393 **Really? that's it?? holy crap. I'm full.
    Fat: 88 g (56%)
    Carbs: 34 g (9%)
    Protein: 117 g (35%)

    My typical intake before this week has lately been more in the range of 2000-2400 cal.

    Yeah, this looks nitpicky and anal. But just a few days has given me some insight and perspective, as I was obviously not in a weight loss place, though there may have been some tiny body composition changes for the better in the last month, I haven't been measuring. I have no intention of carrying this out long term, I don't have the time, energy or inclination for that. But it is a useful exercise, I think.

  10. #630
    winencandy's Avatar
    winencandy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    4,639
    Another excellent LHT day!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Greensprout View Post
    I'm still following the reality check: calorie counting thread with interest. Quite the differing points of view over there!
    Yeah, I'm reading it too. Not posting very much, but I'm reading it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Greensprout View Post
    I'm thinking that upping the protein is a good thing. I'm feeling totally filled up right now after supper, and quite surprised at the calorie totals. They're close to exactly what I figured out as "idea" for loss from doing some further research. Of course yesterday looked good too, but I did have a bit of wine and 2 squares of chocolate later on.
    Yes. Since I've been tracking I've realized that I wasn't eating nearly enough protein. I'm full today and I'm VERY surprised at my #s.

    Quote Originally Posted by Greensprout View Post
    Yeah, this looks nitpicky and anal. But just a few days has given me some insight and perspective, as I was obviously not in a weight loss place, though there may have been some tiny body composition changes for the better in the last month, I haven't been measuring. I have no intention of carrying this out long term, I don't have the time, energy or inclination for that. But it is a useful exercise, I think.
    I also think its a useful exercise, and like you, I have NO intention of doing it long term. Unless I have dramatic results when I weigh and measure on Friday...
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield


    Winencandy

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •