Page 62 of 278 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112162 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal **Greensprout** page 62

Greensprout is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Suse View Post
    You 2 gals stay up way too late at night!
    Yup. Did that even before I had kids. Working on that, albeit with mixed success.

Quote Originally Posted by ommmmaggie View Post
    I had no idea that could even be done! **taking notes** Hang in there - I agree with winencandy about letting kids feel the natural consequences of their decisions - how else can they really learn? I know I didn't learn very well, with my parents sort of "picking up the slack" for me all the time. Of course, I say this even though I am not yet a parent, so it's meant as a thesis more than anything else!
    The networked computers and internet controls is a good thing. I have no idea how it works, but then that's hubby's territory. It also allows him to take a 'snapshot' of their computer screens at any time to monitor if they're accessing sites they shouldn't be.

And today, they were up before I left, but the first one took a long shower, so the other was running behind, and the bus was a couple of minutes early, so they missed it. Ended up 20 min late for class.

Workout done after skipping the past 2 days.
    3 sets of 10 reps each of:
    deadlifts @ 50lb
    shoulder press @15 lb dumbells each side
    wide grip lat pulldowns at 60lb
    lunges @20 lb dumbell each side
    stability ball crunches holding 5kg medicine ball with arms over head x 15 rep sets
    35 min walking.

My bum and legs are tired.

Today's eats:
    B: coffee & coconut milk
    L: BAS with baby romaine, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, red pepper, half a small avocado, acv/balsamic/evoo/dijon dressing. Close to half a tin of salmon, decided I didn't want any more of that. 2 HB eggs. A few slices of crispy pork belly.
    S: several green tea throughout the day (with mint and ginger)
    D: grass fed ground beef over sauteed kale & broccoli.
    later 3 squares of mint dark chocolate and a glass of red.

Expecting a crappy weather day tomorrow, ice pellets, freezing rain, rain, snow and gusty winds. Lovely. Parent-teacher conferences at the high school in the afternoon. The boys tell me there should be no surprises, we'll see...

Suse is offline Senior Member
    Parent-teacher conferences at the high school in the afternoon. The boys tell me there should be no surprises, we'll see...
    Good luck on that!

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Suse View Post
    You 2 gals stay up way too late at night!
    Quote Originally Posted by Greensprout View Post
    Yup. Did that even before I had kids. Working on that, albeit with mixed success.
    Me too
    I'm trying to change it too

Quote Originally Posted by ommmmaggie View Post
    Hang in there - I agree with winencandy about letting kids feel the natural consequences of their decisions - how else can they really learn? I know I didn't learn very well, with my parents sort of "picking up the slack" for me all the time. Of course, I say this even though I am not yet a parent, so it's meant as a thesis more than anything else!
    Its a good thesis, but its VERY hard to do

Great workout!
    Nice eats!
    And I just had Parent Teacher interviews tonight
    No surprises
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Blizzard going on here tonight. Warmed up to +6C today with lots of melting snow, quickly dropped temps in the early evening to now where it's -12 with -24 windchills and high winds with blowing snow. Kinda nasty. And ironically, I got an email tonight from a vendor at last summer's farmers market about their upcoming CSA for the growing season...maybe spring will arrive eventually??

Parent teacher interviews done this afternoon. Mostly very good, though SOMEBODY hasn't handed in assignments and homework for science, though surprised the teacher with a 76% with no effort put into a test this week...we've had the chat, he can submit next week and has brought all the stuff home to do that over the weekend. Seems there's a theme in some classes to issues with some of his choices of people to hang out with...we figured that already.

Today's eats:
    L: 2 HB eggs, a few slices crispy pork belly, shredded coconut
    D: not till around 9. Mixed greens with evoo/acv/lemon/garlic/dijon dressing, 4 large scallops, roasted asparagus & a small bacon wrapped beef tenderloin. Wine. And half a cup of haagen daz praline and cream ice cream.

Tomorrow is dinner at our primal convert friends place. No idea what's on the menu, but is always good, and usually involves lots of wine. I'll endeavor to keep it in moderation.

Bloody cold today. Did a bit more research into local CSAs, I found another one from whom I had bought some produce last year at the farmers market. The cost can be reduced by contributing 15 hours of work on their farm (which is only about 15-20 min away from my home) over the season. I've sent them an email about this, and I think that's the one I'll go with. Had some emails answered as well about local pastured pork and lamb, I think I've found another good source that also makes gluten and nitrate free sausages and bacon.

The produce section in the grocery was very sparse today, the blizzard had closed the highways so the shipments haven't arrived. No kale for today.

I was planning on minimal foods before our dinner out tonight, but got feeling hungry.
    B: coffee with cream, last few slices of crispy pork belly
    S: 2 pepperoni sticks, one HB egg, 6 almonds, one huge strawberry, 5 blackberries and half a cup of blueberries. And 2 squares of lindt 70% caramel chocolate. I think the bit of ice cream last night set off a bit of a sweet craving. Of course, I ate it because I had bought the damn thing this morning...

Ate my snacks while doing some homework, so some reasonable productivity for the day.

Good eats with good friends tonight.
    Last edited by Greensprout; 03-12-2011 at 03:29 PM. Reason: remembered more foods

Suse is offline Senior Member
    Tomorrow is dinner at our primal convert friends place. No idea what's on the menu, but is always good, and usually involves lots of wine. I'll endeavor to keep it in moderation.
    oh bugger moderation. enjoy!

The produce section in the grocery was very sparse today, the blizzard had closed the highways so the shipments haven't arrived. No kale for today.

And 2 squares of lindt 70% caramel chocolate. I think the bit of ice cream last night set off a bit of a sweet craving. Of course, I ate it because I had bought the damn thing this morning...
    heeheehee

Good eats with good friends tonight.
    I hope you had a great night.
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

We had a lovely primal meal, quite a bit more carb than I normally do, but that's okay. My friend has been eating primal with lots of fruit and yogurt and so far has lost 47 lbs, she has about 20-25 to reach her goal, and she's 50 years old. Doing fantastic. I managed moderation on the drinks until after dinner, when I had a few more glasses than necessary, felt it when I got up (after being up way late, and the DST loss of an hour) for son's soccer game, but fine now.

The dinner consisted of: tomato mozzarella salad in evoo/balsamic with fresh basil; spinach salad with tons of strawberries, blueberries & slivered almonds with bottled berry vinagrette dressing; MDA mediterranean pork loin; roasted butternut squash with parmesan; steamed asparagus with butter, lemon & silvered almonds; 2 after 8 mints, 2 pieces almond roca candy, one belgian dark chocolate cherry; later PB chocolate coconut custard topped with whipped cream and berries; and even a few nibbles off a fruit and cheese plate later on. Whew!

Sounds like an excellent meal!

Much better than mine last night...
    "Moderation sucks." Suse

Winencandy

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Managed about 7 hours of sleep last night despite the late evening and stupid DST loss of an hour. Kind of a rough start due to the huge meal and wine (and special coffee and cognac...), but manageable. Son's team tied their game, after being up by 3 in the second half...so ended in a tie which effectively knocked them out of the playoffs, so that's pretty much it for the indoor season. They'll start up outdoor season by the end of next month, which seems crazy when we still have several feet of snow on the ground. More entertaining watching outdoor play anyway.

Didn't do much productive today. Surfed the net, picked up some veggies that weren't in the store yesterday due to the storm. Made SOG BBQ sauce for the chicken. I think an early night is in order. Just need to actually do it.

Today's eats:
    L: 3 eggs scrambled with 2 slices bacon, mushrooms and a bit of goat cheese.
    D: SOG oven baked BBQ chicken, 3 small thighs and one leg. Broccoli & peppers sauteed in some chicken fat. A couple of glasses of wine while puttering in the kitchen and with the meal.

Now I'm full, but feeling the desire for something sweet, no doubt due to the indulgences of the past 2 nights. And unfortunately, there's still ice cream and chocolate around. We'll see.

I took a look through the first few pages of my journal, which I started nearly a year ago. There's the obvious, like a predominant theme of not enough sleep and too frequent partaking in the grape or various other libations. The other thing that jumped out at me is that when I compare my food intake now to when I was seeing some downward movement on the scale is that I used to IF one or two days a week for 18-24 hours, and in general, I'm currently eating more. Primal yes, but more in quantity. As much as I hate to have to admit, I think Paleobird's thread about calories is on the right track, at least for some of us at some points in time. I'm not gaining, and I am seeing some subtle positive changes in body composition since adding back in the workouts, but the stubborn body fat in the lower half persists. Hmmm. I really don't want to start tracking seriously, but am coming to the realization that I may need to cut back on the quantities to reach my goals. That's on top of the need for more sleep and play, and cutting way back on the wine.