Page 59 of 273 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169109159 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal **Greensprout** page 59

Greensprout is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Suse View Post
    oh yeah, I totally agree that I'd like to look buff. And you are so right about the societal influence to be thin and our own personal vanity. Although thats kind of interesting the personal vanity take... cause if we were sooooo concerned about personal vanity we would never have let ourselves get that layer of fat surely (ok ok, yes I've read GCBC - our bodies cant help it) But now I know what to do and yet still dont really do it so dont have the body of a buff 40 something. Sometimes I feel that for all I know, I know nothing at all!
    I'm not so sure that we aren't concerned about the personal vanity thing (yes, I realize everybody is different, some are less or more concerned than others), but sometimes in the throes of living, we choose to ignore the subtle signs and think "yeah, I'm good", until one day a look in the mirror or outgrowing a comfortable piece of clothing jolts the reality of "holy crap, I'm getting fat", or something like that. It can creep up until one day you no longer feel comfortable in your own skin. Been there, done that. And not just from post baby weight. Does that make any sense??

This all sounds very sad...

Up late trying to get my kids to go to bed, (gee, I thought I was past this battle when they were 9 or so. apparently not), and then nearly a battle to get one of them up again in the morning. Some days I think I should have stuck to pets . Not really. Just some days. So about 6 hours of sleep.

Lifting day, workout B, level 1 of NROLFW. I tried the deadlifts finally again today, 40 lb warmup set, then 3 sets of 50 lb x 10 reps. Not bad. I focused on using my butt and legs while keeping the low back stable, and though I feel it a tiny bit in the back, I definitely feel it in the legs & butt. Will focus on the form for a while rather than looking at higher weights and see how that goes. Then 3 sets each of 10 reps of shoulder press 30 lb, wide grip lat pulldowns 60 lb, lunges with 40 lb and swiss ball crunches with hands outstretched overhead for 15 rep sets. Walked about 15 min at the end just to loosen up.

I let son #1 drive all the way to his gym, including on a busier road with lots of traffic. Still a couple of stalls at intersections, but he is getting better with practice. He's finally starting to appreciate the stickshift, and even enjoy it. Ha...told ya.

Today's eats:
    B: black coffee
    L: post workout, very BAS with spinach, arugula, green pepper, cauliflower, tomato, red cabbage, 2 HB eggs, lemon/avocado oil dressing, guacamole, and then the last 5 small chicken wings. The salad was almost too big...but I ate it all.
    S: had a few of kid's chips with cream cheese dip...??? Stopped at least after a few.
    D: diced bacon, grass fed ground beef, onion, garlic, green pepper over leftover kale topped with a runny fried egg with sriracha. Ommnomnom.

Now have to go pick up kid from the gym, he plans to drive back...
    Last edited by Greensprout; 03-03-2011 at 08:13 PM. Reason: meant to say 15 lb dumbells each side for shoulder press

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    Teens and sleep. Teens and stick shift driving. Yeah, that's all kinds of fun

Awesome workout!

Great eats!
    I know what you mean about an almost too big salad
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

The kid did well with yesterday's driving, but tonight managed to back out of the garage into the snowbank that I had to get out of (the driveway slopes down toward the street...clutch control still needs work), and stalled more times that I can remember. Funny.

Today I chose to not go play an hour of sports at work, as I really didn't feel up to it. So no workouts today. But I have already done my 2 days of LHT for the week, so that's okay. Feeling yesterday's deadlifts and lunges in the legs for sure.

Eats:
    B: coffee black
    L: 2 HB eggs with guacamole, a bunch of celery, some deli turkey breast and about 1/4 cup of shredded coconut.
    S: after work had some almonds, macadamias (first nuts in a few days) and a piece of havarti cheese.
    D: Not ravenous after the snack, had thrown some local veal shanks in the slowcooker with onion, garlic & beef broth this morning. Ate some with the juice with some sauteed rapini (first time trying this, tastes kind of peppery, not bad but not spectacular) and a bit of broccoli. A couple of the bones had some marrow...so I slurped it out and it really is tasty. Soft, fatty goodness that melts in your mouth. I actually had to suck it out of one of the bones...good thing there were no witnesses. Hubby wasn't here, he would have been completely put off by that

So now the kids are delivered out to friends places, and I'm having a norcal margarita.

Sounds like a great day.
    Humour, rest, macadamia nuts, marrow, free evening and a norcal margarita

Ohh look at the time!
    got to go to bed
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Ever notice that we seem to regularly be posting in each others journals at the same time??

Weird.

Yup.

Weird
    "Moderation sucks." Suse

Winencandy

I should add that last evening I also had a pepperoni stick, a cup of blueberries (oh, so good), a second norcal margarita and a glass of wine. And some potato chips with cream cheese...because they were there. A momentary lapse, but could have been worse. Then I fell asleep in the TV room after turning off my laptop and woke at 2am with a kink in my neck...

Today was a few errands, and readings for coursework. Then tried to log on to the online mandatory discussions, but the site has been down all day, so I took a nap instead.

Eats:
    B: coffee with HWC, a first in a long time. Okay, but I think I still like the coconut milk, but didn't feel like opening a new can and the cream was open.
    S: mid afternoon: one pepperoni stick, some pistachios, half a cup of blueberries, 2 squares of lindt 70% caramel chocolate.
    Dinner will be grilled sirloin with the usual accompanyments.

I think I mentioned somewhere last week that I'm looking at aiming for some ketosis sustained for more than a couple of days...if that's what I'm actually going to do, I'm obviously not heading in that direction yet. I'm not convinced that's the key, but can be an interesting experiment, anyway. Along with the workouts, it might give some decent results. Once I put words into action, that is...

Quote Originally Posted by Greensprout View Post
    I should add that last evening I also had a pepperoni stick, a cup of blueberries (oh, so good), a second norcal margarita and a glass of wine. And some potato chips with cream cheese...because they were there. A momentary lapse, but could have been worse. Then I fell asleep in the TV room after turning off my laptop and woke at 2am with a kink in my neck...

Quote Originally Posted by Greensprout View Post
    I think I mentioned somewhere last week that I'm looking at aiming for some ketosis sustained for more than a couple of days...if that's what I'm actually going to do, I'm obviously not heading in that direction yet. I'm not convinced that's the key, but can be an interesting experiment, anyway. Along with the workouts, it might give some decent results. Once I put words into action, that is...
    Let me know how it goes. When I remember to test, I'm usually in ketosis in the morning, but usually not in the evening.
    How long should one try to sustain ketosis for?
    Please don't say forever
    "Moderation sucks." Suse

Winencandy

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by winencandy View Post

Let me know how it goes. When I remember to test, I'm usually in ketosis in the morning, but usually not in the evening.
    How long should one try to sustain ketosis for?
    Please don't say forever
    I really don't know, but suspect that a good week or two, maybe even more would give an indication if it works for me. As far as I know, I've only managed to be in ketosis for maybe 3 days in a row, then the weekend with wine tends to knock me out. I'll have to look at this a little closer.

Tonite:
    D: grilled sirloin with sauteed mushrooms, grilled asparagus and caprese salad.

In my house, I'm the master of the grill. I do use the BBQ year round, like last weekend, when I did steak when there were -30C windchills. Hubby can BBQ, but I do it because I know how I like my food and know how to do it. If it is pretty much done, he's happy, whereas I like my steak rare. He's not so good with that.

My steak tonight was great, hubby wasn't happy as he said his steak was "full of cartilige and fat"...I'm thinking WTF? This is a sirloin!! Sometimes I'm completely flabbergasted by him and his sqeamishness with meats.