Page 58 of 279 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068108158 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal **Greensprout** page 58

ommmmaggie is offline Senior Member
    Makes perfect sense that the body's response to stress would be to hold on to fat. Good reminder - thanks! And congratulations on the promotion!!

Stats as of 3/1/12:
    5'10" female, 38 y/o
    Currently 140 lbs., approx 25% body fat
    WEIGHT GOAL: lose a bit more body fat and tighten up the rear end...basically, I want to look great naked. Everywhere else is looking great, but my ass/hips/thighs are being a bit stubborn. TMI?
    DAILY MACRO TARGETS: Cal: 1,857. Protein: 100g (400cal). Carb: 75g (300cal). Fat: 128g (1156cal).
    EXERCISE GOAL: incorporate 2-3 strength training sessions and 1 sprint session per week.

Suse is offline Senior Member
    right I'm back with some thoughts.
    1. sorry to hear your kid gave you a fright. I've said it before and I'll say it again, there's a reason I have dogs
    2. fat. We're obsessed arent we ( I totally include myself here) I mean we're not 20 years old, can we really expect to have the body of a 20 year old? Or look like Carrie Sisson... I suspect she's always looked that good. I do think there is something in the stress thing and holding on to fat. But are we really fat, no. I havent seen a particularly clear photo of you but I dont think you look fat at all, but I guess like me, its that poochy bit round the middle that annoys. But maybe we need that little layer of fat. Dont know, just thinking out loud here.

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    I wonder if we're reading the same posts
    I tried FitDay today. But I knew I was gonna do that and I ate less, and NO nuts...
    Maybe I should enter yesterdays #s??

I just bought Why We Get Fat

Congrats on the promotion!!!!!
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Quote Originally Posted by Suse View Post
    2. fat. We're obsessed arent we ( I totally include myself here) I mean we're not 20 years old, can we really expect to have the body of a 20 year old? Or look like Carrie Sisson... I suspect she's always looked that good. I do think there is something in the stress thing and holding on to fat. But are we really fat, no. I havent seen a particularly clear photo of you but I dont think you look fat at all, but I guess like me, its that poochy bit round the middle that annoys. But maybe we need that little layer of fat. Dont know, just thinking out loud here.
    hmmm
    I don't expect to have the body of a 20 year old. I'd like it, but I don't expect it

I second Suse. I don't think you look fat at all!
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Greensprout is offline Senior Member
    Thanks, ladies, for your thoughts on this.

Yes, we are somewhat obsessed. Is that a reflection of the tone of many of the other forum posts recently? Deeply ingrained societal influence that we must be thin? Personal vanity? More likely somewhere in between with a bit of all of these (and more) rolled in.

Do I want to look like a 20 year old? As I recall, at 20, I had packed on a few pounds living at university, and was at the lower edge of the weight range that I've been moving back and forth on for the past 5 years or so. And I've seen a heck of a lot of muffin topped chubby 20 year olds around all over the place.
    I don't want to look like a 20 year old, but why not want to look like a buff 40-something year old? I don't think that's unreachable. I like having defined muscles, which I've seen a few times in the past.

And no, I don't think I'm fat now, but yes, there is more body fat than I would like to see. I fit into (depending on the item) between a size 5 and an 8, and get those "thin" comments from heavier colleagues. The jiggle is more apparent in a bathing suit! I've been a lot heavier in the past, maybe I'll dig out a photo from about 12 years ago...at one point around 190lbs at 5'6". Not so good. But now, I know I've not reached the potential of where I know I can be, I just need to tweak the 'formula' to find the path with PB.

Oh, my, that was quite a ramble. Not quite sure it all makes sense, but hey, it's my journal and I'll babble if I want to.

So, onto today's eats:
    B: coffee with coconut milk
    L: (post workout), BAS with tomato, 1/2 a small avocado, green pepper, balsamic/evoo dressing, a good few slices of steak.
    D: kale sauteed with bacon/lemon/kalamata olives, 2 over easy eggs, 4 asparagus, and the last of the leftover steak. And my last praline from New Orleans. Gone. Good.

I think I'll cut the coconut milk from my coffee for a bit. I seem to be getting well over 100g of fat regardless, so maybe this small bit will help. Cuz I add quite a bit. I don't mind the coffee black on IF days, so why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Greensprout View Post
    Do I want to look like a 20 year old? As I recall, at 20, I had packed on a few pounds living at university, and was at the lower edge of the weight range that I've been moving back and forth on for the past 5 years or so. And I've seen a heck of a lot of muffin topped chubby 20 year olds around all over the place.
    I'd love to look like I did at 20! No Muffin top then! Maybe I should find an old photo...naw, I had HUGE 80's glasses

I don't want to look like a 20 year old, but why not want to look like a buff 40-something year old? I don't think that's unreachable. I like having defined muscles, which I've seen a few times in the past.
    Yeah, visible muscles...

I fit into (depending on the item) between a size 5 and an 8,
    Doesn't the size range drive you crazy??
    A Guy's size 32 pant or Med shirt, or size 9 shoe are ALWAYS the same size! Grrrr /RANT

it's my journal and I'll babble if I want to.
    iLove this
    "Moderation sucks." Suse

Winencandy

Quote Originally Posted by winencandy View Post
    Maybe I should find an old photo...naw, I had HUGE 80's glasses
    oh yeah, me too...same with my bloated immediately post partum photos from the 90s...ick

Yeah, visible muscles...
    gotta like it!

Doesn't the size range drive you crazy??
    A Guy's size 32 pant or Med shirt, or size 9 shoe are ALWAYS the same size! Grrrr /RANT
    Yep. Size 5 can mean fits lovely or are you kidding me I can't fit these damn pants over my thighs...

iLove this
    hehehe

And I'm having a glass of wine to celebrate the promotion . And dreaming of a tropical holiday since it's SO DAMN COLD HERE AGAIN...windchills near -40 all damn day. Trying to remind myself that March comes in like a lion and goes out like a lamb...I can only hope.

Suse is offline Senior Member
    Thanks, ladies, for your thoughts on this.

Yes, we are somewhat obsessed. Is that a reflection of the tone of many of the other forum posts recently? Deeply ingrained societal influence that we must be thin? Personal vanity? More likely somewhere in between with a bit of all of these (and more) rolled in.

And no, I don't think I'm fat now, but yes, there is more body fat than I would like to see. I fit into (depending on the item) between a size 5 and an 8, and get those "thin" comments from heavier colleagues. The jiggle is more apparent in a bathing suit! I've been a lot heavier in the past, maybe I'll dig out a photo from about 12 years ago...at one point around 190lbs at 5'6". Not so good. But now, I know I've not reached the potential of where I know I can be, I just need to tweak the 'formula' to find the path with PB.

Oh, my, that was quite a ramble. Not quite sure it all makes sense, but hey, it's my journal and I'll babble if I want to.
    oh yeah, I totally agree that I'd like to look buff. And you are so right about the societal influence to be thin and our own personal vanity. Although thats kind of interesting the personal vanity take... cause if we were sooooo concerned about personal vanity we would never have let ourselves get that layer of fat surely (ok ok, yes I've read GCBC - our bodies cant help it) But now I know what to do and yet still dont really do it so dont have the body of a buff 40 something. Sometimes I feel that for all I know, I know nothing at all!

And feel free to ramble, I love ramblers.

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    Maybe I should find an old photo..
    I did find old photos a few weeks ago when my sisters and I were going through all my deceased father's albums. I was shocked at at how thin I was, as I never felt that way. I felt flattered when my sisters said they think I'm close to how I was in the pictures---weird because scale weight has me up by +20 lbs. Thanks PB, not to mention my "generous" siblings.

I also had the HUGE 80's glasses.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by marcadav View Post
    I did find old photos a few weeks ago when my sisters and I were going through all my deceased father's albums. I was shocked at at how thin I was, as I never felt that way. I felt flattered when my sisters said they think I'm close to how I was in the pictures---weird because scale weight has me up by +20 lbs. Thanks PB, not to mention my "generous" siblings.

I also had the HUGE 80's glasses.
    Interesting to look back at some of those old photos and come to the realization that maybe we're never really satisfied?? When I look at the ones from university, even though I remember feeling pudgy, I look pretty darn good. I like your sisters' analysis .

In the 80s, I once had a pair of bright blue huge frames, and another time a pair of huge red ones. What were we thinking??? Those really old photos haven't yet been scanned into our digital collection, so they can keep quietly hidden for now.

Badminton for PT time at work today, so 45 min or so of a combo of fun and slow movement. Not bad, though I'd rather have done my lifting. That will have to wait until tomorrow. Home quick to get son to practice, then eventually a late(ish) dinner at 8pm. Feeling full and fatigued now. Lately I've been staying up late to try to ensure the boys get into bed at a semi reasonable hour for teenagers, but I think I'm fighting a losing battle there. Yet I feel somewhat guilty and responsible if I go to bed before making sure they're squared away. At the cost of my decent sleep.

Today's eats:
    B: black coffee
    L: sandwich bar at work (we're supposed to go there together on Wednesdays). Took some deli turkey and ham with lettuce, tomato, cuke, onion & pickles with a bowl of tomato veg soup. Pretty much non fat (as I passed on the commercial salad dressing) so I had some shredded coconut at my desk later.
    NO after work snack.
    D: mess of hot chicken wings, 6 ribs of celery with homemade guacamole. A glass of white.

On another note, I do feel things tightening up since I have been back to working out. The lifting is most definitely a good thing.

I should be doing homework. I did a bit of readings at son's practice. I feel like I could go to bed quite fine right now...