Page 57 of 249 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967107157 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal **Greensprout** page 57

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Glad you're back. Sounds like you had a good time.

Two things experience has taught me to always pack: a camera and a bathing suit.

I'd LOVE to go to New Orleans...
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Greensprout is online now Senior Member
    Yesterday caught up on some sleep and errands.
    Saturday's eats:
    B: coffee with coconut milk
    S: 2 pepperoni sticks, one apple with half almond butter and half macadamia nut butter
    D: striploin steak, roasted asparagus, green salad with lemon/avocado oil dressing and 2 huge scallops. Small scoop of praline and cream hagen daz ice cream with half a New Orleans praline added (gave the other half to hubby). One norcal margarita, 2 large glasses of red.

Today started off well, then no doubt got my cortisol level up when I couldn't find son #2. He had slept over at a friend's house, but then didn't answer texts or calls, and missed his playoff game in the early afternoon. And he wasn't at the house he had told me he was at (I went over there). In the end, he was at another friend's house said they stayed up very late watching movies and he slept until the game had already started and his phone battery was dead. I was furious, mostly because I was worried. Ended up with a knotted stomach and headache. Why are teenagers so damn difficult??? I made him phone his coach to apologize, and he apologized to me. I'm pretty sure I impressed upon him why it is so important to make sure we know where he is at, I've spent too many shifts in the ER to not let my mind wander into all the nasty possibilities. He clearly saw how upset I was, and I think that impacted him, at least a bit.

Today's eats:
    B: coffee with coconut milk. 3 over easy eggs with 4 slices bacon.
    D: salmon cakes (hubby liked them a lot, so haven't told him I mashed in the skin and bones, hehe) with sour cream garlic dill topping, steamed broccoli with butter. Had a rum & diet coke before dinner, haven't had one since maybe Christmastime, way too sweet.

Doing laundry, and have some homework to catch up on from being away last week. On a good note, I did get a grade of 99% on that essay, yay.

Here's to a good week ahead. Aiming to keep the cortisol down.

Quote Originally Posted by Greensprout View Post
    Today started off well, then no doubt got my cortisol level up when I couldn't find son #2. He had slept over at a friend's house, but then didn't answer texts or calls, and missed his playoff game in the early afternoon. And he wasn't at the house he had told me he was at (I went over there). In the end, he was at another friend's house said they stayed up very late watching movies and he slept until the game had already started and his phone battery was dead. I was furious, mostly because I was worried. Ended up with a knotted stomach and headache. Why are teenagers so damn difficult??? I made him phone his coach to apologize, and he apologized to me. I'm pretty sure I impressed upon him why it is so important to make sure we know where he is at, I've spent too many shifts in the ER to not let my mind wander into all the nasty possibilities. He clearly saw how upset I was, and I think that impacted him, at least a bit.
    Been there, done that. Its scary.

Teenagers are SO much fun

I'm glad he was OK.
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Quote Originally Posted by winencandy View Post
    I'm glad he was OK.
    Yeah, me too. Even though I wanted to kill him myself.

Though I have to remind myself of the time when I was 16 or so that I didn't come home as expected, had been drinking and decided (ah, the wisdom of youth...NOT) that it was better to sleep over at my best friend's house rather than come home past curfew...needless to say, the day of physical farm chores on a hangover and ensuing month of grounding did teach me a bit of a lesson...is this just karma coming back to haunt me???

heehee

yup

I didn't grow up on a farm, but the Farmer has too many (?) stories of haying or priming tobacco the morning after...

As far as staying over. My teens ALL know that I'd rather they stay over than get in a car with someone who's been drinking. They also know that if they need a ride, they only need to call. No lectures. No questions.

In fact, with my 19 year old, (Army Wannabe Son) it is understood and assumed that he will stay overnight whenever he's had alcohol. We don't even require texts anymore. But he is a very responsible young man.

We haven't reached that agreement with my 15 year old daughter yet.
    "Moderation sucks." Suse

Winencandy

ommmmaggie is offline Senior Member
    I'll have to become more conscious of my cortisol levels. My job is really stressing me out (thank goodness this contract ends in two weeks) and I bet that affects everything. What do you notice regarding that? (Sorry if you've already answered that, I haven't read through your whole journal!)

Stats as of 3/1/12:
    5'10" female, 38 y/o
    Currently 140 lbs., approx 25% body fat
    WEIGHT GOAL: lose a bit more body fat and tighten up the rear end...basically, I want to look great naked. Everywhere else is looking great, but my ass/hips/thighs are being a bit stubborn. TMI?
    DAILY MACRO TARGETS: Cal: 1,857. Protein: 100g (400cal). Carb: 75g (300cal). Fat: 128g (1156cal).
    EXERCISE GOAL: incorporate 2-3 strength training sessions and 1 sprint session per week.

I certainly find that when I am under more stress, whether work, kids or self imposed sorts like not enough sleep or whatever, that regardless of how on track I am in other areas, I can't make any progress. I believe that the cortisol increase from stress really does make us (or me, anyway) hold on to the body fat. Funny, as years ago when working as a psychiatric nurse, I used to lead individuals and groups in guided relaxation therapy...so much for practicing what we preach.

I had some wine last night. More than one glass, I have to admit. And only just over 6 hours of sleep. Felt quite fine through the day, however, after shaking off the grogginess when I got up.

Gym day, this week the NROLFW adds a 3rd set to each exercise. So 3 sets each of: Squats 65 lb x 10 reps, full pushups 12 reps, low pulley rows 65 lbs x 10 reps, step ups (single leg) 35 lbs x 10 reps, stability ball jackknives x 15 reps. Did a few front and side planks, then walked for 15 min. A good workout. I need to start adding sprints back into the mix at some point, probably haven't done that since last fall. So much nicer when I can do it outdoors.

Today's eats:
    B: coffee with coconut milk, one HB egg dipped in the dill/garlic sour cream, 2 slices bacon
    L: BAS with tomato, half a small avocado, a few olives, lemon/avocado oil vinagrette, and 2 1/2 salmon patties with dill/garlic sour cream. Very filling. A couple of pinches of shredded coconut mid afternoon.
    D: roasted brussel sprouts/cauli/asparagus, one small roasted potato and 2 bits of roasted sweet potato, pork sirloin chop fried in bacon fat with a mushroom chardonnay thyme cream sauce. Wow, it was really good, and everyone loved it.

Time for some homework...

Oh, and I managed to make a nice slice in the end of my thumb while I was prepping the veg...I do hate bleeding all over the broccoli.

Edit: I had a big glass of merlot, plus one pepperoni stick and 3 squares of G&B 70% mint chocolate. And I think I had 8 almonds while prepping dinner. Time for bed.
    Last edited by Greensprout; 02-28-2011 at 09:03 PM. Reason: #1. added self inflicted wound #2. more eats

I certainly find that when I am under more stress, whether work, kids or self imposed sorts like not enough sleep or whatever, that regardless of how on track I am in other areas, I can't make any progress. I believe that the cortisol increase from stress really does make us (or me, anyway) hold on to the body fat.
    I wonder if this is my problem?

Gym day, this week the NROLFW adds a 3rd set to each exercise. So 3 sets each of: Squats 65 lb x 10 reps, full pushups 12 reps, low pulley rows 65 lbs x 10 reps, step ups (single leg) 35 lbs x 10 reps, stability ball jackknives x 15 reps. Did a few front and side planks, then walked for 15 min. A good workout.
    An EXCELLENT workout!

lemon/avocado oil vinagrette,
    I bought Avocado oil today and made the same dressing

Oh, and I managed to make a nice slice in the end of my thumb while I was prepping the veg...I do hate bleeding all over the broccoli.
    ouch!
    Hope it heals fast...
    "Moderation sucks." Suse

Winencandy

Made it to the gym for a good hour of treadmill walking (variable incline) at 70% max HR while listening to one of Robb Wolf's paleo podcasts.

I've been looking through several other posts on calories, and what's not working <yeah, I'm at work, shhhh>, and so on...wow, maybe I need to retool things. Just for fun I plugged yesterday into fitday...which was not an unusual day...and I'm pretty much thinking that 2500ish calories is probably a lot more than I need. Despite adding back in the workouts, I don't think that much is necessary if I'm still wanting to lose fat. I've got into the routine of not being concerned about intake as long as it's "primal", and accepting the deviations here and there as they come. Damn that dangling carrot of "effortless fat loss"...am thinking it's not quite the case for many of us who don't have a large amount to lose. Needs more thinking. And I need to finish reading Why we get Fat.

Oh...big news...I got promoted Goes with my new position, is an acting promotion while I'm in the job, which we weren't sure would actually come through, and it finally did.

Suse is offline Senior Member
    congratulations on the promotion! I'm sure well deserved. I'll commnet on some other stuff when I have a bit more free time. Off to a boring meeting now.