Page 55 of 250 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105155 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal **Greensprout** page 55

Greensprout is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Suse View Post
    I just cant believe you've gone this long... well I do believe it, but i dont if you know what I mean... I couldnt imagine it myself...
    I'm very impressed too!

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    Me three

Day 22 done!!

Its getting easier, although I haven't had a tough alcohol "test" yet. I've been a homebody avoiding my friends. I thought I was going to be tested this weekend. They wanted a Girls' Night. But one girl couldn't make it so they moved it. My 30 DONN will be finished
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Hooray, the essay is complete and submitted!! Now I've got to get caught up on this week's reading to comment on the discussions by Sunday, then try to get a start on next week's stuff before I am away Tues until Fri (work, not fun, though it's cold and stormy again here and I expect the weather in Mississippi to be somewhat nicer).

Gym today was an hour walking on the treadmill. I realized that I had gone through all of the 20 Robb Wolf paleo podcasts that I had loaded on my ipod, so listened to an old one. Must remember to load some more tonight. Lots of interesting stuff, and it helps pass the time rather than watching TV news closed captioning while on the treadmill.

Today's eats:
    B: coffee & coconut milk
    L: bowl of the lamb curry soup. Wish my container had room for more! But there's some left for tomorrow. Some creamed coconut and some olives.
    D: 3 slices bacon, a 3 egg omelet with mushrooms, spinach, red onion and red pepper, bit of cheddar.
    (no snack today and no nuts)

After baking the bacon, I remembered I had some sliced pork belly, so I tried it in the oven on the rack instead of the usual of making a horrible mess on the stovetop in a pan. Took probably an hour and a half to get nice and crispy like I like it, but really good. Problem is, I'm too full from dinner still to eat it (aside from one slice that I had to try). Probably will add it to tomorrow's lunch.

Maybe today I'll get to bed at a decent hour. All week I've been more like 6 hours rather than the 7 that I aim for...

Friday I was able to get in another LHT day, so that's 3 for the week, yay. NROLFW level 1 workout A, upped some weight again. And 30 min at 70% max HR on the elliptical. Trip to Costco after work, I wish ours had lots of organics and grass fed meat like it seems the US stores have. Stocked up on some stuff so hubby doesn't have to think a lot about cooking for next week while I'm away. Need to pick up some more stuff today.

Friday's eats:
    B: coffee with coconut milk
    L: lamb curry soup, the crispy pork belly made the night before
    S: tea with coconut milk & stevia, 6 almonds
    D: late, was grass fed striploin with a merlot reduction, roasted asparagus and sauteed mushrooms. Few glasses of cabernet. Then later 3 squares of 70% mint chocolate, and half a cup of hagen daz praline and cream ice cream (hubby demanded some ice cream for today, so I figured I'd get a small container of good stuff, and found his favorite flavor). First ice cream in many months, tasted pretty good but awfully sweet. He consumes lots more sugars than I do.

Off shortly to do errands, planning to check out a newly opened asian market nearby to see what they've got.

Great workouts!
    You're so thoughtful to stock up for your hubby. When I go away, I just let them fend for themselves
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

If I didn't stock up, they'd become like helpless creatures, blankly staring into the fridge/pantry/freezer (which are full of good primal stuff) muttering "there's nothing to eat...". Hubby's been eating my primal fare for nearly a year, but doesn't normally cook it himself. And to him, meat is something that comes on styrofoam and wrapped with plastic, bearing no resemblance to the original critter. Visible fat is still an issue. He even trimmed the tiny bit of fat off the grass fed striploin I made him last night...I was so dumbfounded, I would have eaten it myself if he hadn't already tossed it into the trash. The kids are sort of that way too. I partly blame all my well intentioned CW nutrition teaching that I provided them with over the years, major headslap for that one. Ah well. They all love bacon though! Son #2 says that's what he likes best about how we now eat...lots of bacon (instead of that fake turkey bacon crap that I had convinced myself was tasty and good).

I didn't buy anything in the asian market, lots of interesting stuff however. In the meat case were pig hearts, pig liver, pig ears, pork belly, and even some already prepared "meat assortment" things: sliced meat stuff, the ingredient list said "pork head, salt". Wow. And frozen frog legs, too. The store had lots of people in it, and I was one of two caucasians. Will have to take a take a trip to the north end of the city one of these days back to the giant asian markets I checked out last fall, they had great deals on coconut milk, tons of obscure produce and frozen seafood, and the crispy roasted ducks fresh and hot. Think I'll drag hubby along for that, not sure if he'll be impressed or completely turned off, but worth some amusement for me, anyway!

So far today I've had only coffee with coconut milk, then when back from shopping I found 2 slices of bacon and had half a cup of pistachios. Planning on caesar salad (I make a wicked super garlicky dressing) and hot wings for dinner.

I was woken up early today with calls from the ER for evening or night shifts tonight, but declined. I'm not good at that short notice kind of shift, especially after working all week. Granted, it's been months since I've been there, and the extra cash would be nice, as they add to the vacation fund. I'll have to take some shifts soon, I suppose.

Now laundry and homework, I lead such an exciting life.

Quote Originally Posted by Greensprout View Post
    If I didn't stock up, they'd become like helpless creatures, blankly staring into the fridge/pantry/freezer (which are full of good primal stuff) muttering "there's nothing to eat...". .
    Heehee

I didn't buy anything in the asian market, lots of interesting stuff however.
    I know, I'm fascinated when I walk into one, especially when you get to the meat department

Planning on caesar salad (I make a wicked super garlicky dressing) and hot wings for dinner.
    Sounds great! My Caesar dressing comes from Renee's...I'd LOVE to know how to make a home made one...hint, hint, hint

Now laundry and homework, I lead such an exciting life.
    "Moderation sucks." Suse

Winencandy

We found this caesar dressing recipe many years ago, used to make it only a few times a year due to the "high fat content"...it goes without saying that I make it a lot more often now. The teenagers love it, and depending on how much garlic you choose to use, it makes for a vampire free night.

I don't recall the specific quantities/measurements for the ingredients, as I just kind of throw it together from memory now, in the end, it's never turned out badly and some of it is to taste.

Whisk together until completely mixed:

one egg yolk
    3-8 fresh crushed garlic cloves (to taste...today I used 6)
    anchovy paste (squeeze of two lines of about 1-2 inches, to taste)
    one tsp to one tbsp dijon mustard
    juice of 1/2 (or more) fresh lime
    tbsp or so of white wine vinegar
    tbsp or more of worchestershire sauce (not totally primal, but necessary, I think)

While continuing to whisk, slowly drizzle in 2/3 or so cup of extra virgin olive oil. It will emulsify as you whisk. I start tasting after 1/2 cup or so, the amount of oil depends on the amount of your other mixture, it becomes thickened, but not super thick like commercial dressing, and if you add too much evoo you can taste the extra oil. Sometimes I decide it needs a bit more lime or worchestershire. I suppose salt or pepper could be added, but I don't see the need. Once done, add in 1/3 to 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan. Toss onto romaine, plate, top with more fresh parmesan and fresh bacon crumbles.

I've served this at dinner parties and never had any negative comments.

If you don't use it all, you can save it in the fridge for a couple of days, but eventually it separates and is difficult to blend back together uniformly.
    Last edited by Greensprout; 02-19-2011 at 07:47 PM. Reason: oops, how could I forget the dijon??

Suse is offline Senior Member
    asian markets always fascinate me as well, but ewww, no I dont want to eat pigs heads etc. I like my food to not look like the animal it came from when I eat thanks very much

I had more to eat last night, but since dinner was really the first meal, I figured it was okay.

Yesterday:
    B: coffee with coconut milk
    S: 2 slices bacon, 1/2 cup pistachios
    D: primal hot chicken wings, caesar salad
    S: dish of strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, one pepperoni stick, small cubes of kerrygold cheddar, havarti and smoked gouda. 2 squares lindt 70% caramel chocolate. Several glasses of wine plus a norcal margarita.

Today I woke up hungry. Sometimes I find that if I eat late, I wake up hungry. Weird. So I ate. Hunger satisfied.

I cleaned my oven today. At risk of revealing myself as a complete non domestic goddess (that's a big joke between hubby and me...he does more housecleaning than me), I must admit that I've had my current stove for a few years...and today used the self clean for the first time. Yeah, I'm a dope. Have to admit it looks rather nice, and when I popped tonight's dinner in, I had a look and was quite shocked that I can see clearly through the glass door...holy crap! Rather pathetic, I suppose, but I have a clean oven today <does little happy dance>.

Went out shopping, I wanted an insulated sleeve to put my flat iron in so when travelling you can pack it still hot. And splurged on some lululemon thongs, which I've heard are pretty decent. Tried on some clothes, and bought none. I never know what size to try these days. And of course, as ever, each store and brand has different meanings for the same size. I've not lost any pounds of late, nor seen any particular change in inches, but since starting working out again, I'm definitely feeling things tighten up in a good way. Getting more definition back in the shoulders too. In time, things will go where they need to be.

Today's eats:
    B: coffee with coconut milk. One whole young thai coconut (the water plus the jelly...really good). 3 scrambled eggs in butter with spinach, mushrooms, one sliced tomato plus 1/2 a small avocado on the side.
    S: one pepperoni stick (at least they're gluten free), 6 almonds, a few blueberries
    D: chicken (roasting a chopped up naturally farmed massive bird) which will have some SOG BBQ sauce added. Probably a BAS alongside.

When I chopped up the bird, as usual, I saved the back to toss into the freezer for stock later when I have a full bag. Hubby came by, and became totally grossed out seeing the dismembered carcass, shuddering and muttering "I looked at it for too long...". As usual, I shake my head and laugh.