Page 51 of 270 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal **Greensprout** page 51

Suse is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    sounds like a good family night outing is due! How are things with the kids lately? Settling down again?

Greensprout is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Suse View Post
    How are things with the kids lately? Settling down again?
    The kids seem to be doing okay, the one with the most recent troubles has become human and relatively amicable once again, but warrants eyes open on our part. 14 and first year in high school is a tricky age, lots of potential for things to go astray.

The outing was good, however, I have to say that as soon as we got seated at the Mongolian grill all 3 of them got up and ran for the food, leaving me to actually place the order with the waitress. By the time my food was nearly done on the grill the boys were already up getting their second dish...typical. I had 3 small dishes, one seafood & veg, the other 2 beef/pork and veg. Too bad they use canola oil, but I feel fine after the meal. Interestingly, after about an hour, as we were sitting down at the movie I started feeling hungry, which happens with me some days following the first meal after an IF. The movie was decent, no award winner, but not bad, and shouldn't be worthy of nasty demon inspired dreams.

Today's foods:
    IF for 20 hours, with some black coffee, lots of water and a couple tea (oolong, and fruity herbal)
    D: mongolian stir fry
    S: post movie, one pepperoni stick, apple with almond butter.

And yes, I decided to have a glass of wine after getting home. Hubby grabbed one, and I decided why not? One glass.

It's been a decent week with adding back in some exercise. I actually feel things are getting a bit tightened up already (me, not my clothes ). Good incentive to keep it up. Legs are definitely feeling stiff this evening, am looking forward to getting back to where a workout doesn't leave me sore for days.

I'm rather annoyed today, my low back is aching, and I think it's from the deadlifts yesterday. Probably not quite spot on with form, and likely used more weight than I should have for not doing them in a long time, plus the episodes of muscle inflammation in my low back earlier in the year. Damn. Guess I'd better baby it a bit and skip the deadlifts until it feels better and then go less on the weight. Today's PT was "circuit volleyball", where every time someone misses a ball they had to run across the gym and do pushups, squats & crunches. Because my back was aching, I walked on the treadmill for an hour instead. Still feeling sore tonight. Bah. Bring on the antiinflammatories.

On a better note, aside from feeling things firming up this week, I'm thinking that some of the loose skin around my middle is firming up too. Strange, but I like it. Remnants of pregnancies long ago and a the extra 45 pounds I once carried.

Today's eats:
    B: coffee with coconut milk, a bit of creamed coconut mid morning.
    L: BAS with a tin of salmon, some more creamed coconut.
    D: grass fed beef burger patties topped with salsa, buttered broccoli and a half cup or so of cubed sweet potato, tossed with coconut oil, cinnamon and cayenne, then roasted till golden. Tasted like veggie candy. Really! Haven't had any sweet potato in ages.

Tomorrow is weigh and measure, assess my month's progress (or not) and plan out the next month.

Expecting to have an adult beverage tonight or two. TV night with hubby.

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Greensprout View Post
    I'm rather annoyed today, my low back is aching, and I think it's from the deadlifts yesterday.
    I hope you back feels better soon. Low back aches suck!

On a better note, aside from feeling things firming up this week, I'm thinking that some of the loose skin around my middle is firming up too. Strange, but I like it. Remnants of pregnancies long ago and a the extra 45 pounds I once carried.

B: coffee with coconut milk, a bit of creamed coconut mid morning.
    What's the difference between coconut milk and coconut cream?
    I don't think I've ever seen coconut cream.
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Quote Originally Posted by winencandy View Post
    What's the difference between coconut milk and coconut cream?
    I don't think I've ever seen coconut cream.
    I found creamed coconut in small block packages in ethnic isle at superstore, also saw it at a zellers. It's more solid, and the oil often separates out, but you can mash it back in. Grainy texture, kind of reminds me of shortbread, which sounds odd, but it really does. Rich and tasty, you can mix it with hot water to make coconut milk, though I've not tried that, or could throw it in a sauce instead of coconut milk. Usually I eat it on its own as a snack or mix with melted dark chocolate/nut butter. A solid at room temp, but can be melted or squished in the unopened package into a soft paste when warmer. I've been known to just squeeze it out of the package directly into my mouth!

I've also found tins of what seem to be coconut milk but are called coconut cream. Pretty much the same, just thicker, I think they've just removed some of the watery liquid before canning.

I'm thawing some steaks for dinner right now, was going to have the new grass fed ones, but son #1 is home for dinner and those only come 2 to a package...so I found 3 regular strip loins in the freezer. Will have them grilled, with the usual of mushrooms and grilled asparagus. Yes, it's not in season, comes from South America, but I do love me some asparagus.

Slept in late, though I was up late, and ended up dozing in the TV room. Oh well.

B: coffee & coconut milk, 3 fried eggs over a grass fed burger warmed in bacon fat. Most delicious. Could have easily eaten more.
    S: few cashews while out shopping
    D: steak, mushrooms & asparagus. Some red wine.

Scored a great deal on tins of coconut milk today. I hadn't found it recently at my usual grocery (superstore), but they moved it from the ethnic aisle to beside the condensed milk in the baking aisle for some reason. Found Aroy-D brand (label says 60% coconut, water, NO preservatives!!) and only 78 cents per can, so I bought 6, which was the limit. Might have to go back later this week for more! I like the thicker brands for on berries and such, but the thinner kind is perfect for coffee.

I weighed and measured this morning. Although I didn't do all I thought I would for the past month, it's really not too bad. Down 4 lb, so back at 141. Smaller by one inch around the waist. Really can't complain about that, particularly since I didn't cut out the weekday wine as planned for the first few weeks, plus the stress levels were pretty high early through much of January. Also it was only the last week that any exercise happened. On to bigger and better for February.

More later. Dinner awaits.

I found creamed coconut in small block packages in ethnic isle at superstore, also saw it at a zellers. It's more solid, and the oil often separates out, but you can mash it back in. Grainy texture, kind of reminds me of shortbread, which sounds odd, but it really does. Rich and tasty, you can mix it with hot water to make coconut milk, though I've not tried that, or could throw it in a sauce instead of coconut milk. Usually I eat it on its own as a snack or mix with melted dark chocolate/nut butter. A solid at room temp, but can be melted or squished in the unopened package into a soft paste when warmer. I've been known to just squeeze it out of the package directly into my mouth!

I've also found tins of what seem to be coconut milk but are called coconut cream. Pretty much the same, just thicker, I think they've just removed some of the watery liquid before canning.
    Thanks. I'll look for it the next time I'm in a city grocery store. My little town store doesn't even have coconut milk...

I weighed and measured this morning. Although I didn't do all I thought I would for the past month, it's really not too bad. Down 4 lb, so back at 141. Smaller by one inch around the waist.
    Excellent!!!
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Suse is offline Senior Member
    great news on the inch lost! jealous!

And be careful with that back... you should know better...

Yes, Suse, I should know better...

Last night I also ate some blueberries, a pepperoni stick and 3 squares of G&B 70% dark mint chocolate. And 5 potato chips that I took from son's bowl. One gin with soda and a couple glasses of red wine.

Today's eats:
    B: coffee with coconut milk, grass fed beef burger topped with 3 over easy eggs. Once again, awesome. And about a cup of blueberries.
    S: a few cashews, maybe 12
    D: 2 chicken thighs and one drum baked with SOG BBQ sauce, buttered broccoli and sauteed spinach.

I looked back at my goals for the last month and here's the scoop:

1. minimal dairy. I've already subbed cream in coffee for coconut milk and really like it. Stay away from cheese, except for tiny bits where it really matters. Butter is in, but will aim for using other fats more often. Did good here. No cream for coffee, no yogurt, no snacking on cheese, just for flavouring a few times. Ate less butter, more of other fats. Really, I'm not sure there is much difference doing this for me. I'll add some back this month, but just here and there.

2. stop using nuts as a "go to" snack. Good here too, I'm not eating nuts daily anymore, and when I do, the amount is less.

3. no alcohol during the week, strictly for Fri and Sat if I want it. That starts when I return to work on Tues.
    Well, only did this in the last two weeks, and Sundays didn't count. Aiming to keep this up.

4. Get moving. LHT at least 2 times per week, 3 if I can. Walk or low intensity movement 2-3 times per week. Sprint once in a while. (gee, sounds familiar, doesn't it??) Off to a very slow start, but finally last week yes I did.

5. Aim for at least 7 hours of sleep nightly. That's a really tough one for me, have to kick my ass to bed sooner regularly.
    More than half the nights, I think I actually did well here. Nearly always over 6.5 hours, and did hit 7 quite a few times. This is good. Need more of the same.

6. Continue decluttering and organizing around home. Make measurable progress weekly.
    Got a few more things done, not spectacular, but at least it's something.

7. Put the scale away. Check back in a month.
    Did take a quick peek a couple of times in the last 10 days, as I had put the scale by the kid's bathroom. Finally out of the habit of hopping on daily.

So overall, not bad. I think January has helped to get me a bit more on track with where I should be, and has provided some motivation for the next while.

I like your summary. I think that's a good idea!
    "Moderation sucks." Suse

Winencandy