Page 49 of 272 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999149 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal **Greensprout** page 49

Suse is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    you're practically teetotal! Well done... Hope you are feeling a lot better by next post.

Greensprout is offline Senior Member
    Thanks Suse! Today is wineless day 4. I do plan to have some over the weekend (Fri and Sat only, when I do), but I feel some small sense of accomplishment. Interestingly, I'm actually in ketosis right now, could it be the obvious answer that I'm doing most other food things right and it's just the alcohol that's keeping me from progressing?? I've hit ketosis briefly now and again, but never sustained, so don't know if that will be the thing that works for me or not, but worth a try.

The cold is now more of an annoyance than anything. Some sinus pressure, lots of nose blowing required, sporadic dry coughing spells, one of which woke me up for a while overnight again. Headache was at bay all day, but has returned this evening. Maybe it's from more than the sinus thing? I'm getting more and better sleep this week, 7 hours again last night, and stresses are down (not gone, but more manageable). I also should be heading into some PMS stuff, according to the calendar, though my cycle has been changing a bit, guess that might happen being over 40. I tried out the Diva cup last month for the first time, it was surprisingly easy to use and not any more unsavoury an experience than the usual feminine hygiene stuff.

Decided on an IF today, a proper one for the first time in a while, and it was quite fine.
    B: coffee black
    D: roasted veg (parsnip, cauliflower, brussel sprout) with slow cooker lemon thyme chicken, had lots of the dark meat with some of the juices drizzled on top. Really filling and a great way to break a 23 hr IF.

I now have the bones plus some frozen chicken backs in the slowcooker along with all the lemony cooking juices to simmer overnight and through tomorrow for stock. Last stock I made this way (from the lemony chicken) was amazing.

More herbal tea on the way for a nightcap. Must remember to bring gym gear to work tomorrow, we have some sort of group fitness class or sport thing. Good for a start. UPS has updated my expected book delivery from Fri to Mon...I hope they're wrong!
    Last edited by Greensprout; 01-27-2011 at 06:00 PM. Reason: forgot the stock cooking

A good 7 hours of sleep, but I had some really vivid, disturbingly strange dreams which woke me at one point. Got back to sleep, but with a weird feeling. The fitness class today ended up being indoor soccer, of all things...you'd think I'd have even the tiniest bit of my boys' skill, but, nada. Ran my ass off though, lots of sprints, and was pretty good at pushing back, haha. Now I really feel it in every muscle in my legs...probably will be worse tomorrow, which is a pretty good indication that I need to be moving a hell of a lot more and more often.

Today was sort of a snow day...midday we were allowed to go home as we were getting dumped on heavily, and the forecast said turning to freezing rain, so they wanted people to get home safe. No rain in the end, but a good 15cm of snow. Shoveled off the deck and hot tub, hubby got out the snowblower for the driveway.

And I was home to receive my books from Amazon, yay! Will be perusing NROLFW over the weekend, also ordered Why We Get Fat, as I haven't found the time to get through GCBC. I'll read that eventually, but this will be good and also can be a loaner. Didn't eat until mid afternoon, as I didn't stay at work for lunch and then got into shoveling, etc. Ate and then felt utterly worn out, so I had a long nap where I was drifing in and out the whole time. Nice to be able to do that once in a while.

Today's eats:
    B: coffee with coconut milk, later one tea with coconut milk and stevia
    L: bunch of dark chicken, 1/2 an avocado and one HB egg.
    S: handful of almonds.

Dinner is soon, going to sautee scallops and pair with salad. My favourite bottle of pinot gris is chilling, and I'm looking forward to that after being good all week.

enjoy that dinner and that wine! Think of me on my whole7

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Greensprout View Post
    Ended up staying up very late last night, the kid decided to talk to me, so I figured I'd better take advantage of the opportunity. Didn't like everything we discussed, but at least he was open and acknowledged that I'm not the enemy, though not sure about dad.
    This is good.

D: made a hubbard squash soup: crisped some bacon, then sauteed shallots in the fat. Added squash & celery, ginger, salt & pepper, chicken stock, cinnamon and nutmeg. Pureed, then heavy cream added. Topped in the bowl with scallion, cilantro & bacon pieces. Very good, had a huge bowlful and then a bit more.
    This sounds wonderful. I think I need to try it. In 28 days, cause I'm not doing dairy...I wonder what it would be like without it? Or with Coconut Milk?

I tried out the Diva cup last month for the first time, it was surprisingly easy to use and not any more unsavoury an experience than the usual feminine hygiene stuff.
    I use one too

Vivid Dreams, soccer aches, snowday, hot tub, NROLFW, a nap, and weekend wine!
    Sounds like a perfect day
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Quote Originally Posted by winencandy View Post
    This sounds wonderful. I think I need to try it. In 28 days, cause I'm not doing dairy...I wonder what it would be like without it? Or with Coconut Milk?
    I thought about using coconut milk, the only reason I didn't is I figured the boys wouldn't appreciate it, granted they tasted the soup and weren't too keen on it anyway. Not squash people. Next time I'd definitely use the coconut milk. And maybe curry? The bacon on top was a great finish.

Woke up a bit fuzzy from the alcohol last night, but it went away with coffee. Won't stop me from having some wine with dinner today, but good incentive to abstain for the week once again.

Good morning, went shopping and with coupons and specials I collected a crapload of bonus airmiles, so now we have enough to use for our flights to PrimalCon in April. Woohoo

And another good thing for today: my beef order is ready, so 1/4 of a grass fed cow should be arriving at my door within the next hour, hooray

I now have a freezer full of grass fed black angus local beef. I asked for some of the tougher roasts & stew to be done as ground, as especially with the boys, we go through lots of that.

Yesterday was kind of a hungry day, but that coincides pretty well with first day of period, so no big deal. Kept it to good stuff, mainly.
    Saturdays eats:
    B: coffee with coconut milk, 2 eggs with 3 slices bacon
    L/S: (throughout the day) - some almonds, berries with coconut cream & shredded coconut, large pepperoni stick, something else I can't remember now.
    D: rib steak, mushrooms, roasted asparagus & broccoli, one gin & soda with lime, shared the bottle of valpolicella. Smidge of cognac.
    Stuffed in more berries later (raspberries, blueberries, blackberries)

I was also really feeling the sore legs yesterday from the soccer the day before, it's still kind of stiff but better today. Managed to get through NROLFW as well, looks pretty good if you ignore the diet part (need whole grains, eat 5-6 times daily, etc, though stresses not to go low calorie).

Today I had a good sleep in. I've moved out of ketosis, likely due to the wine, etc the past 2 days, but I think I'll be back there fairly quickly. This is the final week of what I had said early in the month was my 30 day getting serious, I've really only started to do that in the past week or so. Will do weight and measurements around the end of the week, and decide where to go next. I really don't think there's much change, but we'll see, and I'm not too surprised, considering. At least I'm doing well on the sleep part, and feeling better as a result.

a good nights sleep does wonders for the soul! Glad to hear you are getting the zzzzz's in.

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    Isn't it wonderful to have a freezer full of meat?

I made your squash soup for lunch today.
    It was divine
    I used coconut milk.
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Quote Originally Posted by winencandy View Post
    Isn't it wonderful to have a freezer full of meat?
    Yep

I made your squash soup for lunch today.
    It was divine
    I used coconut milk.
    Glad you liked it. I kind of threw it together after looking at several other recipes.

I made the PB cookbook pumpkin muffins today, was thinking about them for a while but had not due to the added maple syrup. Today I decided that 1/3 of a cup for 12 muffins is not so bad. Granted, I did slurp the last few drops from the measuring cup... I also had some ground veal, so make italian meatballs. Pretty good. Had plans to do a lot of work related stuff at home today, but didn't have the oomph to get there. So not too productive outside of the kitchen. Dropped my car off for service for morning, so hubby and I will commute together tomorrow.

Today's eats:
    B: coffee & coconut milk, 2 eggs with bit of steak & mushrooms
    S: 2 pumpkin muffins with butter, still warm from the oven. Mmmmmm.
    D: zucchini "noodles" (zuchetti) with veal meatballs & marinara sauce, topped with shavings of parmesan. Didn't want a lot, so afterwards I was still nibbly, so I had 2 pepperoni sticks.

Mouth hungry today, probably cycle related, once again.

Add 2 pumpkin muffins with butter and 2 glasses of chardonnay to the day's tally. Hubby was pouring and I gave in. The muffins were fabulous.
    Last edited by Greensprout; 01-30-2011 at 09:03 PM. Reason: more food