Page 4 of 269 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal **Greensprout** page 4

Greensprout is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Still pretty sore, but a bit better again than yesterday.

B: Not hungry, but rather than IF, chose to have coffee with whole milk and a bit of cream
    L: BAS - mixed greens, green pepper, scallion, purple cabbage, white turnip, half an avocado, evoo & lime. 3 chicken drumsticks.
    D: 5 slices bacon with 3 eggs fried in the bacon fat.

Been out at a meeting all evening, but am craving 'something', so I mixed some cocoa in coconut oil (I think that's the coconut bark I've heard about??) which is chilling in the freezer. May top it with some almond butter. Then off to bed.

Hubby gets home from a business trip tomorrow, and the weekend should be full of errands/house chores and kid soccer stuff. Rainy, and supposed to stay that way for days, so not expecting to get to the yardwork. Will have to see how the wound is feeling to see if I'm up to any exercise, or long walking. Doc wanted me to take it real easy for a few days to not stress the stitches.

The coconut bark last night was interesting...extremely rich, definitely missing the sweetness of chocolate (my dark choc so far has been 70%, will have to get some of the darker stuff), so tried it with almond butter. Nicer, but in the end, a little bit was enough. Will keep the idea for a once in a while 'need something rich' idea.

Today:

B: IF
    L: IF
    D: ribeye done in butter with rosemary, red chard sauteed in bacon fat and garlic. Completed 21 hour IF.

Incision feeling better today, with some low dose medicating. Doc looked at it this afternoon, still a lot of swelling and bruising, so told to take it easy over the next few days still. Decided tonight to forgo the meds for some wine instead. A couple of glasses of red with and post dinner, now thinking that may have not been the best idea. Feeling sore now, but will have to deal with it. Dumbass.

On the other hand, the IF was easy today. Like last time, a high fat meal pre fast helps a lot. Productive at work, and managed to slip out at lunch to buy some shoes I've been eyeing for our upcoming trip to Paris...leaving in 3 weeks!! Will be the first real getaway without kids, and we need it. Plan to stick to mostly primal eating, but anticipate some deviation, as long as it feels good to do so. Planning to stay pretty strict from now until we go, in hopes of being prepared for the potential consequences of the holiday. Perhaps a not very primal attitude?? I want to be able to enjoy myself and taste the local fare, but in moderation. Have to expect that some baguette and croissant and cheese and chocolate and wine will have an effect, but can't see not trying at least a bit of each during the week.

Enough holiday talk. On to the next 3 weeks.

Tired and still sore today. Out doing errands, haircut, groceries and such, now seems to be more swelling under the bandage. Better follow doc's advice to take it easy. Took a painkiller and then a nap before dinner. Feeling a little blah, probably from the meds.

B: (10am) 2 eggs scrambled in bacon fat, 4 slices bacon, coffee with whole milk
    S: small handful (maybe 1/4 cup) macadamia nuts
    D: 2 homemade burger patties on a bed of baby spinach, topped with cheddar, baby tomatoes, salsa, fresh guacamole and sour cream. My dairy fix for the weekend.

B: 2 eggs scrambled with cream in ghee (interesting new flavour), with a bit of steak, coffee with whole milk, small grapefruit
    S: 1/4 cup macadamia nuts, later celery with cream cheese, 1 coffee + 1 americano with cream
    D: burger patty with cheddar, guacamole, salsa, sour cream on top of lettuce & tomato, 7 asparagus spears wrapped in 2 slices bacon.

Found some excellent bacon at the butchers, made on site. Very tasty. I also found individually frozen, presliced pork belly, so had to grab a big bag of that too. Unfortunately, the skin part has been trimmed off, usually I fry it super crispy so the skin is nicely crunchy too, but these were a good deal.

Perhaps a bit heavy on the cheese/dairy today, was feeling peckish. Cold and rainy, damn near froze sitting outside for son's soccer game this evening, only +5C (low 40s F?). Being stationary I think the parents were colder than the kids in shorts and shirtsleeves, at least they were running hard for 90 min. I'm just warming up now after nearly 2 hours! Can't even take a proper long hot shower because of these bloody stitches.

Going to prep some garlic pulled pork for the slow cooker for tomorrow. Turned out great last time, though hubby pulled it out of the cooker that time before I was home and I'm sure he threw away all the fatty bits. He's heading out of town again, so this time I can make sure all the fatty goodness stays where it belongs...on my plate.

B: smoothie (frozen strawberries & blueberries, celery, spinach, chocolate protein powder, coconut milk & coconut oil)
    L: 2 HB eggs, 1/2 avocado in a few slices deli turkey breast
    D: BAS (lettuce, radish, scallion, green pepper, white turnip, cucumber with evoo/balsamic/lime) with garlic pulled pork.

Wow, the pork was SO much tastier than the last one I made in the slow cooker. Only difference is this time I bought kosher salt rather than sea salt, and I did the shredding myself while keeping the fat and adding some of the meat juices. I thought the last one hubby did was a bit dry, which I thought was a bit odd, but when I asked him if he added the juices, he looked at me blankly...makes such a difference.

Now I'm crisping up the skin from the pork shoulder in the oven...will be an excellent treat later on. Yum.

Doc looked at my incision again today, still quite swollen with a hematoma (big old clot of blood) underneath. He debated opening it up to drain, but we decided to leave it for a few days, so strict orders to not stress it with workouts yet. I'm feeling lazy...but the next couple of days are back to the long shifts so wouldn't be fitting that in anyway.

Weight this morning is 136. Had been bouncing up and down between 138-140 for a while, so nice to see movement. Waist is 28 inches, down from 29.5 last month. Belly is definitely flatter, with some good upper and side ab tone starting to show through. I'm thinking that once I throw some resistance work back in, I'll see a lot more happening. Hopefully it won't be long until I get the okay to resume workouts.

The pork skin I crisped up last night was amazing. Loved every fatty dripping nibble, guiltfree. However, for some reason, I ended up eating a bunch of nuts later (maybe close to 3/4 of a cup of almonds/cashews/pistachios) and 2 rum with diet coke. Was frustrated with my kids, yeah, real good excuse, that one.

Today: 22 hour IF (10pm yesterday to 8 pm today), some black coffee, green & herbal tea & water
    D: purple cabbage, mushrooms, spinach, carrot and pulled pork, all sauteed in pork fat from the leftover broth from the slowcooker. Very yummy and filling.

Long shift today, dreary and rainy outside. Everyone around me was complaining about feeling sleepy and were even napping on breaks, I felt energetic and alert. That's one of the things I really like about IF. And the few times I felt sort of "hungry" with tummy growling passed quickly.

No pain pills needed today either, still tender, but tolerable.

Feeling very full post dinner. Aiming for early(ish) night, as up again at 0545 for long shift. Plan to be back to at least light workouts by the weekend...hopefully warmer and over the rain.

Okay, apparently I have a thing going with nuts. Last night had the rest of the bag of almonds/cashews/pistachios. Probably close to 3/4 cup. And a square of Green & Blacks 70% dark chocolate. That and another rum & diet coke.

Today got up too late to pack food for 12 hour shift.

B: coffee with whole milk. A few spoonsfull of coconut milk.
    S: coffee with cream, 2 boiled eggs with butter, 3 slices pathetic skinny looking bacon
    L: "chicken caesar salad"...turned out to be sad chicken like processed bits of meat, and sugar/wheat/soybean oil in the ingredient list (noticed after purchasing), green sencha tea
    S: cappucino with unfortunately the highest fat milk was 2%
    D: home for crispy pork belly, yay.
    Later: another rum & diet coke, 2 handfulls macadamia nuts, spoonful of cream cheese, 1 organic strawberry from tonight's delivery box.

What's up?? Not a good week, it seems. Control needed. What I'm aiming to do is eat on target for a few weeks until the holiday, but obviously not on track. At least most of the indulgences are more primal than not...

Tomorrow's another day. And the stitches are supposed to come out. Still swollen, but liveable.

Interesting development today. Despite the ton o nuts consumed this week, along with some drinks, scale was down 1 lb today. At 135. Strange. Good, but strange and unexpected, even though the middle seems a bit bloated this week.

B: coffee with whole milk, smoothie (frozen strawberry & blueberry, celery, spinach, chocolate protein powder, coconut milk and coconut oil)
    L: BAS with tuna, dressed with evoo, lime and red wine vinegar
    S: small handful of macadamia nuts (naughty indulgence)
    D: Big grilled sirloin topped with a pat of butter, sauteed mushrooms, garlic broccoli with butter, tasty fiddleheads sauteed in garlic and butter

Stitches came out, doc is pleased with the decreased swelling. Still wants me to take it easy for another week, but think I'll add in some low level activity over the next couple of days. Feels better, tender but healing. Who thought removing a small cyst would lead to that much pain in the backside??

Not enough sleep this week, been up too late every day despite good intentions. Note to self: get ass to bed at a decent hour.
    Last edited by Greensprout; 05-06-2010 at 06:44 PM. Reason: lack of attention to details

Suse is offline Senior Member
    perhaps that bloated feeling is from all those rum and diet cokes. I often feel that fizzy stuff leaves me feeling a bit full in the tummy.

Glad to hear you are healing.

Suse, that would make sense. I've not had any soda at all for a few weeks, until this week. I probably shouldn't admit that I had one tonight too...

Page 4 of 269 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast