Page 3 of 278 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal **Greensprout** page 3

Greensprout is online now Senior Member
    Interesting conference the last 2 days, on travel health issues. Held at a very upscale hotel, setting was fabulous. Food provided was the typical conference fare...pastry, carbs, etc <hidden envy that the primalcon people aren't having the same food issues>.

Yesterday:
    B: coffee with whole milk, nothing good at conference breakfast. more coffee with cream
    L: raw veg with ranch dip, olives, 5 jumbo shrimp with seafood sauce, picked out insides from a couple of finger sandwiches for the meat...not worth it, coffee with cream
    D: late (after workout), BAS- greens, radish, tomato, evoo, balsamic, loads of side pork, crispy. Made a bunch of the pork, sat down with the whole lot in a dish and ate more than anticipated until I was VERY full...so good I couldn't help it (well, sort of). This is actually one of my comfort foods from childhood, and only now can I eat it without guilt for the first time since childhood.

Did 30 min workout, warmup with 6 sprint intervals in the park by home. Felt like I was going so fast that I was going to fly off my feet and crash head first into the goose crap along the path...then 10 min walk cooldown. Sunny evening, felt great.

Today:
    B: IF
    L: bit of roasted veg (carrot, sweet potato, parsnip), what I think was beef stroganoff...sort of tasty but far too salty. Should have kept fasting. Coffee with cream.
    D: roma tomato with bocconcini cheese, fresh basil, evoo; grilled sirloin with sauteed mushroom, grilled asparagus. One Belgian beer, few glasses of cabernet-merlot. Feeling overly full now and ready to sleep.

So managed the week without wine or other similar stuff, I plan to leave that for weekends only. Not that I didn't think about it, but it's just not necessary. I think I slept better, certainly felt more awake first thing in the mornings and more alert during the day. Close to 7 hours sleep the past 2 nights.

The efforts of the week seem to be showing results as far as the scale goes. Will reassess that after the weekend.

No workout today, had an ER shift, lots of moving slowly on my feet the whole time, some heavy lifting.

B: (late) 2 eggs scrambled in butter and cream, 5 small slices pork belly, coffee with whole milk x 2
    S: coffee with cream
    D: BAS (greens, tomato, mushroom, cucumber, white turnip, evoo & balsamic) with leftover sirloin.
    later: 2 glasses bubbly, 1 glass chardonnay. Bowl of strawberries & blackberries with coconut milk and shredded coconut, 3 squares 70% dark chocolate.

Errands and yardwork for tomorrow. Planning on a long walk too.

Suse is offline Senior Member

Talking

dont you find that you have a couple of days alcohol free and think yeah i feel great, but then you have a glass of wine and you think, yeah I feel great!

Suse, I'm with you on that!. Had a Scottish beer while prepping dinner, will probably have a bit more chardonnay tonight as there's a bottle open that I can't see saving until next weekend...plus I am choosing that as my 20%.

Up at a reasonable hour for a weekend, am finding I wake easier these days, and the past couple of nights getting 8 hours of sleep is agreeing well with me. 2 coffees with whole milk, read another bit of "The Omnivore's Dilemna" by Michael Pollan (easy read and most informative). Then convinced hubby to head outside with me. Did an hour brisk walk with a few "extras"...sprints up a hill, box jumps x 10 twice onto park benches, decline pushups facing down a hill, chinups at a play structure. Managed 3 proper chinups, which felt great! Ate after getting back.

B: (more like brunch) leftover steak warmed in butter with 2 eggs over easy in the butter, excellent, and I can't remember when I last had this, if ever. What was I thinking?? Dipping the still rare steak into the soft eggy yolk was heaven.
    D: BAS (lettuce, red cabbage, carrot, white turnip, radish, scallion, half an avocado with evoo & white balsamic), spaghetti squash with tomato sauce and chorizo with sprinkle of freshly grated parmesan. A keeper meal for sure.

I did cook regular pasta for the kids, they won't eat the squash. I feel a bit hypocritical cooking pasta/rice/potatoes for them a few times a week, but realistically, they are teens and are not willing to give up all their grains now. They do get a lot of the same meals and don't comment that they are getting less of the grains/starchy carbs that they have been used to, but continue to like their sandwiches, etc. They are eating more veggies lately though, butter instead of margarine, and often snacking on nuts, fruit, yogurt and meat like sausage and tuna. I explain what I'm doing and why, they're fine with the concept but happy to continue with their own pattern.

I've been doing a lot of experimenting lately in the kitchen, based on what I find in my organic veg delivery box each week plus whatever meat looks tasty or is on sale when I go shopping, rather than making a menu plan for the week and then shopping for the menu only. Feeling creative and coming up with some great meals. I need the variety to keep me on the right path, and am enjoying challenging myself with new ideas.

Doing well the past week with less dairy, and very few nuts. Fruit has been once per day, if at all, for the most part. Feeling satisfied and not craving the old stuff. Yay me!
    Last edited by Greensprout; 04-25-2010 at 07:03 PM.

Indulged in a bit more wine last night than planned (have the day off today), bah. Also was a bit hungry after dinner, so had a tsp of macadamia butter and a tbsp of cream cheese along with the wine.

More food experimenting today. After coffee, tried something new for breakfast for a fritatta. Warmed up some chorizo in a pan, removed then sauteed spaghetti squash in bacon fat. Added 2 scrambled eggs, the warm chorizo, salt & pepper, scallions, then a few dollops of cream cheese and under the broiler until set. Quite filling and tasty, though the squash was a bit sweet.

Likely won't have any lunch.

For dinner, I have some pork back ribs, but couldn't find a recipe for the slow cooker that I liked, as most had either sugar, or BBQ sauce, neither of which I wanted. So I dug around the pantry and came up with my own thing, hopefully it will turn out. Made a rub of garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, cayenne, paprika, dry mustard, coriander and sea salt. Rubbed over the meat. Placed in slow cooker on top of 2 sliced onions. Poured over top was a bit of dark soy sauce (generally I avoid soy but the flavour of this is too good, so just a bit), worchestershire, and white wine. Will leave slow cooker on high for an hour or so, then turn down to low for the rest of the day. The aroma is just starting up, so keeping fingers crossed for the end result.

Sorting and cleaning around the house today, may take a quick trip to a butcher shop to see what looks good, and probably raking the yard as we didn't get there yesterday.

The ribs turned out great! Finished them up with 10 min under the broiler to crisp up the outsides. Completed dinner with garlic broccoli topped with butter, and spaghetti squash pan warmed with more butter.

I think I may be having more impact on my teenagers with primal eating, too. As I was finishing up the dinner prep, I asked them if they wanted some leftover potato or pasta with the ribs...they both said "no, ribs and broccoli will be plenty". Of course they both had a large glass of chocolate milk with the meal, but baby steps, haha.

Didn't get to the butcher, decided I have plenty of meat and bacon for the week already. Spent about 90 min in the yard, pulled out the thatching rake and finished the backyard, plus gave the compost a thorough stir. Looking nice in there, but a bit smelly, I think there's not enough brown/dry stuff mixed with the greens. Added some of the old dry grasses raked up from the lawn. Unfortunately, I don't really have any leaves to add.

Spent a few hours purging my closet and dresser drawers. Hauled out 1 full garbage bag for donation (lots of stuff that's now too big, and the rest just old), plus another load for the trash of stuff not worthy of donating. Been meaning to get to this for quite a while, feels really satisfying to finally get it done.

Snacked on a small grapefruit and about 1/4 cup of almonds, and a few radishes. One french vanilla roast coffee with heavy cream.

Tired now and sore shoulders from the yardwork, and even my legs and core feel like they had a good workout. Must hop into the hot tub tonight before bed, most nights I don't bother, silly me.
    Last edited by Greensprout; 04-26-2010 at 07:53 PM. Reason: forgot to add snacks, oops.

B: smoothie with strawberries, blueberries, celery, chocolate protein powder, cocoa powder, spinach, coconut milk & a bit of coconut oil, coffee with whole milk
    L: whole avocado sliced wrapped in deli roasted chicken & genoa salami
    D: bit of leftover ribs, soup made from the rib broth with mushrooms, carrot, zucchini, and cream. Posted about that separately. Extremely filling and tasty.

I'm in pain. Today I had a cyst excised on my mid back that had quite some time ago become very inflamed/infected, had to be drained, yuck, etc. Was advised to have the whole thing removed eventually, as it could flare up again one day. So spent over an hour having this done, it had become very deep and firmly imbedded. Was okay back at the office, but now since all the freezing is worn off, it hurts A LOT! Took some naproxen this afternoon, but that's not quite doing the job. I think I have a couple of tylenol with codeine left from my knee surgery, think I'll need that to be able to sleep tonight, but will have to wait to take it until I pick up my son from soccer practice in an hour and a half. I thought I'd do some more yardwork tonight, had no idea this would be so extensive. It's an incision about 4 inches long and close to 2 inches deep (both internal and 4 external sutures to close).

Yes, I'm whining a bit, I'm the type to tell others to "suck it up, princess", but DAMN it hurts....hopefully not so bad tomorrow???

Suse is offline Senior Member
    owww poor you. have a wine, you'll feel much better

Sorry, no wine mixed with codeine...would have been very tempted to self medicate with wine if I couldn't find any painkillers. Found 2 remaining pills, which took the edge off at least. Saw my doc (we work at the same clinic), he's going to take a look at the wound later and give me a prescription for some more good stuff to get me through the next few days, at least for the evenings/night. Still quite sore today, though nothing quite so bad as last night. On a positive note...pain pills will keep me from wine for a couple of days, lol. Had to get 13 year old son to change the bandage last night (hubby out of town) and the 14 year old is too squeamish. Grossed him out pretty good! At least he was helpful!

Today:

B: IF
    L: IF
    D: ?? yesterday's soup/salad/make chicken drumsticks?? will decide later, between one kid soccer game and another practice.

I do have some black coffee while fasting, and herbal tea (roibos at the momemt), plus water sometimes with a squeeze of lemon. I also supplement daily with a multivitamin and 3 fish oil caps. Today's fast feels pretty easy, probably due to the heavy fat soup last night, and I went to bed early, so depite waking a lot due to discomfort, I had more sleep so that always makes a fast more tolerable.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Broke my fast at almost 24 hrs (or 26, if you don't count the 3 squares of dark chocolate eaten 2 hrs after dinner, haha) with a small bowl of yesterday's creamy mushroom veg soup while the chicken was cooking. Did a mess of drumsticks 2 ways (thanks to Kuno1chi for the idea from her journal): 1) drizzle of evoo and montreal chicken spice (the kids love this, though not so primal) in the oven, and 2) 5 spice powder & paprika, fried in coconut oil. The fried ones were great, so I ate 2, plus one of the montreal spice. Tried making a sauce by adding black pepper and cream to the coconut oil left in the pan...the cream curdled, so I had a messy little bowl of dairy solids in oil...dipped some chicken in it anyway, and holy cow, did it taste good!! Looks hideous, but I saved it anyway.

Savoring a cup of herbal tea now along with pain meds, still very sore but not as bad as yesterday. Very full from dinner, which was not too long ago, so that's probably it for tonight...though there is a tiny bit of dark chocolate left...

Todays IF was one of the most comfortable I have done, I very much think it was because there was so much fat in yesterday's dinner. Truely, I could have likely waited to eat until breakfast, but needed to cook the chicken anyway (it seems appropriate to feed the kids some protein, being mom and all), so decided to eat. Must remember to increase fat next time before starting a fast.

One thing that may be interesting ***TMI alert*** is that previously, when I have had to take codeine, its constipating side effect gets me good, so I usually have taken a stool softener. Am holding off for now, to see if the higher fat diet will compensate. I'll only probably be taking one smaller dose during the day and a full dose at night for a couple of days, so it may not be such a big deal. <keeping fingers crossed>

~~~

On a more positive note, I chatted today with a person who works in my building who had been seated next to my hubby at a work dinner some weeks back. He had been raving about PB, or rather, how I now "had him eating primally", so she ordered the book, and has embraced primal living too! She's loving how she feels, has lost some fat, and thoroughly enjoying the process. Yay!

Page 3 of 278 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast