Page 28 of 279 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878128 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal **Greensprout** page 28

Greensprout is online now Senior Member
    The hardest part of an IF for me is getting started...as in consciously choosing to have black coffee in the morning rather than adding cream or coconut milk. Once I get past the first couple of sips, no problem. Then it's just a mind over matter kind of thing. I started to dabble in IF (from ESE) last year before finding PB. It's much easier since cutting the grains/sugars and lower carb. When I get a bit growly during the day, I just have a black coffee or a tea or water. Then the hunger mostly is gone and doesn't come to mind again for hours. The junk food that does creep around my workplace is stuff that would not normally find appealing, so that's not a problem, no lollie fix needed here (no offence ) For your mouth hunger Suse, what about having something like beef jerky around? Lots of chew there.

Last night ended up having a snack of some pork rinds and an apple with almond butter. Tasted awesomely sweet.

Today, less than, productive at work, no good reason other than I didn't get to bed early last night like I thought about.

B: coffee with coconut milk, some coconut oil
    S: 1 HB egg, some roasted chicken leg
    L: a soup cookoff at work to raise money for the Christmas party. Wasn't planning to partake, but felt obliged to contribute. At least all the soups had all ingredients listed (for those with allergies, etc), and several were quite primal. Had small tastes of squash soup, borshtch, chicken veg made by a person with celiac disease, and some seafood chowders. Ate a couple of bits of potato in some of them. Skipped the bottled dressing salads and costco birthday cake. Tried a tiny gluten free commercial breadstick (rice flour & some corn something) which had the texture and taste of dry styrofoam. Ewww. One babybel cheese.
    S: a few macadamias and walnuts, less than 1/4 cup total.
    D: a lovely "good" pork sausage, some of yesterday's chili on the last of the cauli & some spinach, with cheddar, 1/4 an avocado, a spoonful of creme fraiche.
    later, a good size glass of shiraz. Might saute an apple in butter with cinnamon. Undecided.

Suse is offline Senior Member
    I totally agree with you on the mind over matter business.... whenever i have tried an IF I find that it is mostly boredom that gets me, not real hunger. It's something to do with the fact that we "think" we should be eating... but in reality i've never felt that hungry... apart from the odd growl... it's not like i"ve gone to bed and thought oh damn I cant sleep cause i'm so hungry...

do you know, I've never tried beef jerky... it just doesnt appeal... I might get some and give it a go though just so I can say, yeah tried it ... didnt like it... (ha, see how I've already convinced myself I wont like it)

Not a bad day, though I was often hungry, or at least wanting to eat. I'm entering that week of the month when it tends to happen. As long as I keep it primal (of sorts), it can hopefully be manageable.

B: coffee with coconut milk
    S: chai tea with coconut milk. Was ho hum, not sure it's worth repeating.
    L: celery root soup with added diced chicken, spinach leaves and diced cheddar, one HB egg. Very filling.
    Wanted a snack in the afternoon, I reached for a larabar I threw in my work bag from the kids lunch cupboard. Was seriously thinking of eating it despite the higher carb load, and realized it was a PEANUT BUTTER bar...so no go. Back into the bag.
    D: 2 grass fed burger patties fried in bacon fat, topped with cheddar, avocado & bacon, romaine with evoo/balsamic.
    S: made pumpkin muffins for hubby...and ate 2 with butter.

Photos: yesterday's apple sauteed in butter with cinnamon and double devon cream http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...attach/jpg.gif

dinner of burgers & salad http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...attach/jpg.gif

pumpkin muffins slathered in butter http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...attach/jpg.gif

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Greensprout View Post
    The hardest part of an IF for me is getting started...as in consciously choosing to have black coffee in the morning rather than adding cream or coconut milk. Once I get past the first couple of sips, no problem. Then it's just a mind over matter kind of thing.
    I agree, it is mind over matter. I never eat breakfast, I'm just not hungry first thing in the morning (or I should say for the first few hours after I wake up) If I decide to IF I can easily go until suppertime. I used to IF before primal as well. I found that when I first started IF it made me aware of the times I would mindlessly eat. I'd think about eating something and then realize "Oh! I'm IFing, I can wait". That awareness now continues when I'm not IF. An awareness of what I'm putting in my mouth. (Most of the time)

I have a book called Mindless Eating. There's also a website. It's interesting. A lot of it is about portion sizes. They do 'experiments' on people. Tall glasses vs short glasses, 'bottomless' soup bowls, the size of dessert bowls, the wording on menus, etc.
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

I have that book as well, it's an informative, light read. I read it before PB, and much of it makes even more sense now that I know so much more. Awareness is a huge step in the right direction. And I hear you on the 'most of the time'

My internet connection sucks big time tonight...maybe that means go to bed? Kids are out at school Halloween dance, but is hubby's turn to pick them up in half an hour, so I should do just that...

Did an IF for close to 15 hours. Then silly me, ended it with some nuts (more than necessary) and 5 squares of Lindt 70% dark chocolate "intense blueberry". Really good stuff, but of course, that much made me feel sort of a buzz after an IF. What I really wanted was some meat! Was stuck at my desk, and have a work formal dinner thing tonight. Some of the meal will be fine (spinach salad, acorn squash & apple soup, prime rib), but not likely to have the brie en croute (unless I can pick the brie out of the croute??) nor the banana strudle or the inevitable grain side dish. Probably will be a healthy dose of red wine consumed.

Sounds like a wonderful way to break a fast
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

The dinner last night was good, I had a giant slab o beef which was lovely. Ate one small roasted potato, but skipped the yorkshire pudding and phyllo dough items.

Far too much wine consumed...hence a very nonproductive day. Had to take a 2 hour nap in the afternoon. I did get to the last day of the farmers' market this morning for eggs and lovely sausages & bacon. Also found out how to still get the awesome eggs from the farmer, who will deliver if you order a case (6 flats of 20 jumbos) at a time, which I can split with some friends. And I chatted with the grass fed beef farmer, who is about to do his slaughter over the next few weeks, I can order a quarter or half of excellent beef for $3.89 per pound, with free delivery. I'll need to organize that with some friends to split too, as I don't have room for a whole order in my freezer.

today's eats at random intervals:
    coffee with HWC
    2 pumpkin muffins with butter
    few almonds
    grass fed beef pattie warmed up in bacon fat topped with 2 fried eggs (most excellent)
    one mandarin orange
    dinner will be german sausages with sauerkraut and broccoli.

Suse is offline Senior Member
    When I was at the market this weekend, I noticed someone selling "ooh ahh" free range eggs... giant eggs that apparently the chicken says ooh,ahh as they are laying... 1 dozen was $12 NZ which I thought seemed pretty outrageous.

Sometimes it is good to have a non productive day... afternoon naps are the bomb!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Suse View Post
    When I was at the market this weekend, I noticed someone selling "ooh ahh" free range eggs... giant eggs that apparently the chicken says ooh,ahh as they are laying... 1 dozen was $12 NZ which I thought seemed pretty outrageous.
    Suse, that is outrageous!

Quote Originally Posted by Suse View Post
    Sometimes it is good to have a non productive day... afternoon naps are the bomb!
    I agree! Especially after '"far too much wine"
    "Moderation sucks." Suse

Winencandy