Page 268 of 272 FirstFirst ... 168218258266267268269270 ... LastLast
Results 2,671 to 2,680 of 2714

Thread: Primal Journal **Greensprout** page 268

Greensprout is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Woah, is it Sunday evening already? Apparently so.

No walk Friday, work stuff made that not doable, and it was crazy hot and humid after work, so the pool it was. Dinner of grilled striploin, baked potato, mushrooms, asparagus, peppers, wine. Son #1 had buddies over for a LAN gaming thing in the mancave, so made them all mojitos with my garden mint, and enjoyed one too.

Saturday hit the farmers' market. Beets, carrots, zucchini, green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, new potatoes, gluten free cupcake (yes, the oh so delish red velvet one). Dinner was meatza, ours topped with fresh oregano & basil, mushrooms, tomato, kalamata olives, and of course, mozzarella. Son #1 had been asking for this recently, so figured I could do so before he goes away in a week.

Yes, kid is off in 6 days to basic training! We've both been giving him tidbits of what to expect and what expectations on him will be. He'll do a stellar job, I'm sure.

A bit domestic today. Plantain chips in the dehydrator are nearly done. Plantain bread (a flatbread style) made, not bad at all and rather intriguing. I only had a touch plain, but will be good in some sort of sammie. Bacon & guacamole have some appeal. Foraged for a few needed bits at the bulk store. A pot of borscht (beet soup) is simmering and nearly done, made with the free range chicken broth I made yesterday. So far, the tastes have been fantastic. I use the whole beets: root bulbs, stems chopped, and leaves chopped. Salt & pepper, onion, celery, carrot, green beans, fresh dill, vinegar, and top with a dollop of sour cream when served in the bowl. And I have 2 pieces of meatza left, and have already made tomorrow's lunch of baked tato with steak & mushrooms.

And regretfully, I have to toss my scoby. The fruit flies have defiled it. .

Might do a trial of water kefir. One of the bulk food stores had the grains from Cultures for Health. Must do a bit of research.

At least I have about 18 bottles of completed and fly free booch in the downstairs fridge.

Plantain flatbread

Borscht

Just needs a dollop of sour cream upon serving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ready to eat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Greensprout View Post
    It's real. Son #1 is now like hubby and I, a member of the military. Hubby was able to have the pleasure of swearing him in today at the enrollment ceremony as I took photos. In 10 days, he's off to basic officer training (as a baby officer, like those of us who have been around a while like to say) and then will commence pilot training in the new year. Holy cats! He's very pumped about basic. Of course, out with buddies tonight to celebrate. After the ceremony, he went out in his 3 piece suit for a few errands, like the cigar store and bank. He was suitably impressed at how being well dressed resulted in receiving significantly more respect from those he interacted with. Apparently, they do learn .
    Well, heck. I thought I'd already congratulated you on this, but well, senility and all that.

The second pic of the borscht is the color of a dinette set I once had in a "retro" kitchen I created in a 50s diner theme. I love that color. And beets.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

JudyCr is online now Senior Member
    Fabulous pics, GS.. You had a productive weekend.

Yeah, that beet soup is mighty tasty. Had an unexpected chuckle during a bathroom visit today, when I remembered the aftereffects of eating a lot of beets. No, there's no internal bleeding .

The plantain flatbread is pretty good. Hubby left me a couple of boiled eggs this morning, so mixed them with my fresh mayo, and had for breakfast on the flatbread. Yummy and super filling. Lunch of leftover steak, tato, and mushrooms. Dinner a roasted CSA local free ranged chicken thigh and wing, salad of garden cukes/cherry tomato/basil/fresh mozza/evoo/balsamic/shallot/salt & pepper. I love this time of year for fresh foods.

Ridiculous that it's been a couple of weeks since any sort of workout or even a decent walk. Today was very stormy and wet, and tomorrow there's teleconferences over lunch (damn people in eastern time zone don't seem to be interested that a 1pm meeting there is at noon here).

Ended up having a good sized glass of wine tonight, though I had intended to abstain. Ah well.

Just heard that my one remaining granny, who is 96, is not doing well and likely to die in the next couple of days. Wasn't able to get any medical details. Crap. I'm sad. She was a very feisty woman for many years. She lives a 2 hour flight away.

JudyCr is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Greensprout View Post
    Just heard that my one remaining granny, who is 96, is not doing well and likely to die in the next couple of days. Wasn't able to get any medical details. Crap. I'm sad. She was a very feisty woman for many years. She lives a 2 hour flight away.
    So sorry, sweetie. Big hug.

Thanks, Judy.

She died last night shortly after midnight MST. I'm grateful it was quick, and not a lingering affair after 96 years of living. Waiting to hear from my mom (this was my dad's mom) about arrangements. I have so many fond memories of this sweet lady. In the last few years I only just realized how small she was...truly a petite woman, which I had never quite noticed. Her personality apparently overruled perception of her size.

I use the word died, rather than passed away. I have an issue with the other. Why the euphemism, which I see "passed away" as. People die. Felt that way ever since my dad's death by suicide when I was 10. Ok, nuff said there, that's my issue, so it is what it is.

On top of that news this morning, it was a hella busy day. A huge time sensitive project on the go, with returns going to our highest levels with short timelines. Needless to say, other projects are now on the back burner. And a lot of complicating factors in the mix. Today was likely the last HOT day of summer, which I missed most of. No walk midday, nor later after heading for home late and having to pick up the CSA meats.