Page 262 of 279 FirstFirst ... 162212252260261262263264272 ... LastLast
Results 2,611 to 2,620 of 2787

Thread: Primal Journal **Greensprout** page 262

Greensprout is online now Senior Member
    Ha, not surprisingly, after a weekend that included drinks, the few pounds showed right up again. Aiming for a good week ahead, though I admit that I do have a homemade pear cider poured at the moment. It's quite dry, not sweet at all.

Rained on and off over the weekend, so no long walks occurred. Did catch the world cup final game yesterday, along with hubby, both boys and a couple of extra boys as well. Browsed the mall on Sunday while it rained, picked up a sale pair of nice capris at lululemon, which I'd never pay full price for, but I like them a lot.

Tomorrow at work the gang is going to play a quick 9 holes of golf midmorning, there's a course on the base right outside our building. I am not a golfer, and with my shoulder don't think it's a good idea, but I'll walk along for the break from my desk. Of course, I'd rather do my own fast walk, but this will do.

The golf thing was kind of fun. A couple of hours out of the office in the sun, regardless. The mosquitos were pretty thick on a couple of holes, but I think I got only a couple of bites. I Wore the new capris, very comfy. I like them.

Was reasonably productive after work, more than a lot of days lately. Tidied kitchen, watered garden, hosed out my grocery bins, trimmed the tomato plants, pulled a few weeds, ironed dress uniform for change of command parade tomorrow. Also found the source of our recent fruit fly infestation. Discovered that son #2's school backpack, which has been sitting in the front hall for 3 weeks, was unzipped, and had a rotting banana inside. Let's just say ewwwww... Emptied everything, hosed out the backpack, left his binder full of notes the electrical program outside on the deck for him to deal with. Now I'm resuming trying to vaccuum up any fruit flies I discover around the house. They like to sit on the cover of my brewing kombucha. Stupid flies.

A decent day. Good bit of time away from the desk (tho the project work keeps piling up) for Commander's change of command ceremony. Got home to find that hubby was ahead of me and already doing my garden watering, nice. Out to pay car insurance and pick up the protein CSA. This week is grass fed beef short ribs, gluten free bison burger patties, and free range chicken wings. Also brought home BC cherries and Thai kimchi. Hubby has been going through the kimchi like mad, I can barely get out a portion or two before he has the whole lot gone. And this is the man who crinkled up his nose when I first brought kimchi into the house. Ha, a true convert to fermented food.

Reminds me now that the local produce in incoming, it's time to pull out my gallon stone crock and ferment some vegetables. I've done pickles, maybe will try for carrots or beets or sauerkraut before my cukes are ready. My garden is coming along nicely, lots of tiny cukes coming, and lots of green tomatoes on the plum tomato and tiny tim plants. Herbs are splendid, have already been making good use of basil, oregano, chives, thai basil, cilantro and italian parlsey. Lemon balm is going crazy, must put some with peppermint into a iced tea/tisane brew. Herbs will be going into the next kombucha bottling for sure. Experimentation time ahead.

Made zucchini "noodles" tonight with a grass fed beef marinara sauce with fresh herbs. I normally saute the zucchini for a few minutes, but there's always the risk of overcooking and thus soggy noodles. Today I used NomNomPaleo's suggestion to just toss with the hot sauce raw, and let the heat from the sauce turn them to "al dente". How did I not figure this out before? Genius. Perfect noodles.

I've been listening to the podcasts from FunctionalHealthSummit.com the past 2 days. Some good information. All free, each day's presentations available for 24 hours. Certainly not all primal/paleo, but good, nonetheless. Worth a look at.

angela is offline Senior Member
    Your garden sounds amazing, Greensprout! Not having an outdoor space for at least an herb pot is a bummer at this apartment complex, but I am so glad to be free from the hassles of maintaining a house. Fruit flies are the worst! Bananas are always the culprits at my parents' house....glad you found the source before things got too out of hand! Hope you are well (ailing shoulder aside!)
    "Locked up inside you like the calm beneath castles is a cavern of treasures that no one has been to....let's go digging" ~ Maynard James Keenan

I am Angela, Southern Fried Primal... http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread106998.html

My garden is small, but productive. Herbs and tomatoes in planter boxes, a few herbs and the other couple of vegetables in existing flower/shrub beds. Kind of fun. The boxes need a lot of water, the temps here are around 30C currently, so even though I water in the late afternoon, the tomatoes are droopy by the time I get home from work the next day between 4 and 5.

I have the bison burgers from the CSA ready to toss on the grill. Omnomnom. Will pair with salad.

MRI results for the shoulder were good news. No tears or anything else bad. I had begun to suspect as much since it's been finally improving. Not all better, but a lot more so than a few months ago. Must be more diligent with light gym work, that's a bit of a challenge mentally, as I feel like in the gym I should be wearing a sign like "rehabbing from injury" or some such thing because I am stuck with such light weights for now. That's more personal ego than anything else, though, and I need to get past that in order to fully recover. Going to get splints to wear overnight next week for the carpal tunnel syndrome, hopefully it helps. Some days I have a weird numbness/tingling sensation on the back of my hand and arm up to the elbow all day. Not painful, but not pleasant. Waking with numb "asleep" feeling hands is also not comfortable.

I've had a few other odd physical things going on lately as well. Some are rather TMI, but whatever. Lots of belly gurgling and more gas, along with inconsistent quality of BMs. Some watery, most are what I can only describe as a sticky consistency. I've been taking potato starch, so am going to cut back significantly on the amount as I think this corresponds to when I started increasing the dose. I only measure roughly, perhaps I'm overdoing it. Also, the past week or two I've had lots of dry flaky facial skin. Around the nose, between eyebrows, and below corners of lips and chin. I almost wonder if that could be a reaction to something, rather than just dryness. Sometimes it feels almost inflamed, though there's really no redness. I'm not using foundation, do oil cleanse, and moisturize mostly with various oils such as jojoba or coconut. Sometimes olive oil. Still trying to figure this one out. Any suggestions would be most welcome.

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    I'm glad your MRI results were good news. I wish mine had been.

Could the numbness/tingling sensation be from your shoulder? Possibly pinching a nerve while you are sleeping. I ask because I've had those sensations--more in my fingers, forearm--and they were definitely due to my shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by marcadav View Post
    Could the numbness/tingling sensation be from your shoulder? Possibly pinching a nerve while you are sleeping. I ask because I've had those sensations--more in my fingers, forearm--and they were definitely due to my shoulder.
    That's what I was originally thinking, but apparently it is due to the carpal tunnel syndrome. The numbness/paresthesias can go all the way up the arm, even up to the shoulder, oddly enough. Honestly, these symptoms preceded the shoulder injury, when I think back. I was either ignoring them, or rationalizing them to something else. Just got more noticeable after the fractured hand and shoulder issues.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Decreasing the potato starch has had a positive effect on all things gastrointestinal. Less loud gurgling, and better consistency movements.

At Saturday's farmers' market, I picked up a face cream made with all natural stuffs (a multitude of oils and botanicals with several essential oils). That and some exfoliation with baking soda seek to be working wonders for the flaky irritated skin. Not quite back to normal, but nearly so. Yay.

Should be getting my wrist splints for overnight use tomorrow for the carpal tunnel issues. Slept crappy last night, woke numerous times with numb hands, and from the rain, and disturbing dreams. Energy level wasn't too bad today however. Did a 4.2 mile walk in the sun at lunch, glad to get it in as it's rainy again this evening.

So I cooked the brined beef tongue on Sat in the pressure cooker, tried just a taste, and fried some up tonight in lard with cracklings. It actually tastes much like corned beef, which shouldn't be surprising. Nice with horseradish or spicy mustard. Even hubby agreed, though he only had a small slice. It would be great diced into a breakfast style hash.

Picked up a jump rope tonight. Stared using one here and there at crossfit, so will be a good tool in the toolbox for use at home. Might get working on double unders, which I was rather spazzy with.

Am thinking lots about a workout plan, which is hampered by the shoulder issues currently. Not heading back to crossfit anytime soon (if at all?), and other heavy lifting isn't in the cards right now. I may revisit a bodyweight program I did nearly 5 years ago. It is a 3 month program, each month a progression, and including lots of stretching (prasara yoga style), joint mobility, and a good mix of strength and metabolic conditioning. I had fantastic results when I did the whole program, significant muscle tone and definition with strength, plus the bonus of relaxed joints with ease of movement and flexibility. I did this 6 months before I found Primal, but followed by a holiday, then a 2 month deployment, and a bunch of other thoughts. It might just be the right thing for now. It was an online program purchase, so I still have all of the materials saved. Some of the days got a bit time consuming, but much of it I can do in the gym at work at lunch, rather than all at home in the evenings like I did the last time around. Have to take a look through the material and determine a start date.