Page 258 of 278 FirstFirst ... 158208248256257258259260268 ... LastLast
Results 2,571 to 2,580 of 2780

Thread: Primal Journal **Greensprout** page 258

Greensprout is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pamela M View Post
    Can I come over for dinner next time?
    Sure, as long as you bring gouda! That berry sauce is seriously worth making over and over. Hadn't made it since rhubarb season ended last year, and I love it. I add any combo of berries I happen to have on hand, and even frozen if none fresh are in the kitchen. Always superb.

Physio on the shoulder today, a bit of progress from the last visit, then again, I've not been as diligent on my homework stuff as I should be. Must work on that. Was actually feeling rather achy today.

Made a smoothie this morning for the first time in ages in my ancient Vitamix (purchased in the early 90s, so stainless steel container, not the clear ones of current models). Recently back in action after hubby found a few replacement bits (spigot and gasket on ebay). Frozen strawberries, couple of blueberries, cucumber, kale, half a lemon, ginger, gelatin, half cup of coconut milk and 2 eggs. Sipped on it between 9 and 11. Tasted mostly lemony and ginger, and was rather nice for a change. That and some toasted coconut flakes were my foods at work. Since home, just a pepperoni stick and slice of gouda, plus glass of wine. Cooked ground beef/pork and rice for boys, neither of whom are home at the moment, but are always scrounging for stuff at odd hours.

Tomorrow afternoon son #2 is receiving an award from his electrical program at the tech school. Very nice. Considering that before his high school counsellor suggested he might try this as an option 2 years ago (constantly skipping school and getting into trouble), he was headed on a very bad direction. This let him for the past 2 years spend half day at the high school for his compulsory credits and half at the tech college. Now he's graduating both, will have his high school diploma plus level 2 electrical which makes him eligible to apprentice as an electrician. Even nicer. A bit tricky to find a place to hire apprentices, but not impossible. He's planning to stay at the restaurant job for summer but pound some pavement searching for the apprentice job. 1800 hours of apprenticing, then can go back to the college for level 3, and be ready to be a journeyman. I'm so pleased he was able to find something to engage him before becoming one of those lost kids...

Pedidoc is offline Senior Member
    Way to go son #2!!!!!
    Female 53
    Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 160
    Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

Jimmus Prime is offline Senior Member
    Congrats to son number 2, that's awesome. Send him to Alberta, they're always looking for all levels of all tradesmen haha. And they probably pay more than any country in the world, except maybe somewhere in the UAE, MAYBE.

I had no idea Vitamix was around in the 90s, but I suppose there are a lot of things I don't know. Is it bad that I have a "blender"? I don't know the brand, I know it was a bit pricy, but is that bad? It's not "Blendtec" or "Vitamix" or any of your people's fancy brands. And I've only used it once to make gazpacho haha.

I've just seen SO many recipes calling for a food processor, so would I be okay with a blender?
    Please feel free to follow my journal, unless you're seeing this link IN my journal... That's quite the paradox! I promise to keep my content up to date, honest, and hopefully mildly entertaining.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread107788.html

Yes, I can see son #2 heading west in a couple of years when we are next posted. I think he could use a few years more maturity before heading off on his own and into that environment. I have a ton of relatives in Alberta, brother works out of Grand Prairie, a lot of others around Edmonton and Bonnyville. Maybe after apprenticing, going back to the college for level 3, and when looking for a journeyman's position. That should be in 2 years if all goes well.

The award was for citizenship, and cool that his instructor nominated him even though he had to stretch the attendance/punctuality requirements, lol. And the award came with a cheque for $200. He was not expecting that and is quite pleased. Half will go toward his car payment (to us) and half for a new hoodie and to take girlfriend out.

No point going back to work now, though am still on call and monitoring numerous things via email. Will take advantage of the free time and get some stuff done around home. Hubby's back tonight from the East coast.

Ha, didn't get too much done, other than watering my garden and a load of laundry.

My dinner was small but superb. Made a play on pho. Reduced some of my fresh beef (oxtail) broth with fresh ginger, star anise, cinnamon and fish sauce. Apparently was out of green cardamom pods, or would have added them too. Put the broth into a bowl with a touch of rice vermicelli noodles, the oxtail meat shredded, arugula, basil, mint, cilantro, sriracha, bean sprouts and fresh lime. Wow, what a bowl full of layers of flavour. Must do again. Seriously good.

Breakfast was some ground beef/pork with baby kale, topped with 2 eggs and kimchi. Spicy and tasty. All in all, a good food day.

Hubby made it home. Always a good thing. Should have an early(ish) night.

Uneventful few days. I've been reading, but not feeling like journalling. Is that even a word?

Cool, rainy day. Chose to skip the farmers' market. Not much produce this early in the season, and I have a good bunch of meat in the freezer that needs using up. I'm looking at purchasing half a pork, so need to use what I have and make space. The freezer needs a defrost as well, which is easier when not full.

Visited the bulk store, and my local seasonal organic shop as well as groceries. Restocked a variety of spices. Found a "no cut" glove to wear when using the mandolin or microplane, should save me a bit of skin and blood, I hope. Local asparagus and hot house tomatoes, kimchi, and a few other things I can't remember!

Planning on making the paleo bread tonight and making it as a base for some pizza. I have procuitto, calabrese salami, marinaded artichoke hearts, kalamata olives, fresh basil & oregano, fresh mozzarella. Hungry just thinking about it!

Oh, and the England-Italy world cup game is about to begin. Very rare in this house to have a sports watching night, but this is, after all, the world cup. And I was just in Brazil 2 months ago! Still can't believe that work sent me there for a week.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    If "antiquing" (the activity of looking at and/or shopping for antiques) is a word, then surely journalling is a word.

Best wishes to Son #2. It's always nice to hear/read when someone turns something around and makes it good.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    You eat such great stuff. I copy and paste your food all the time
    Really cool about son. Love it when young folks figure it out.
    Good parenting!!

Aw, thanks Judy. I do tend to get into cooking ruts and am not motivated to do anything in the kitchen, but other times I get inspired and feel like a primal cooking machine. Nice to know that my madness methods might spark some ideas for other people .

The pizza was pretty damn nice. Of course, the overload of toppings with too much moisture led to a soggy crust in the end, but still delicious. A couple of slices leftover for my first meal of the day at 3pm.

It was pouring rain all day. I chose to do a logical thing, and went shopping. Skulked the aisles of an Asian market, coming away with primo coconut milk, king oyster mushrooms, white sweet potatoes and beef tendon. Make the mushrooms into Nom Nom Paleo's mushroom chips like this and I must say, they are seriously good. The boys both said "meh" and hubby thought "not bad", but I say stupendous. Of course, I'm the most devoted mushroom fan in my home. I urge you to give them a try, if you love all things mushroomy and crispy. And a touch salty.

Chicken thighs in the oven.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Ooh, speaking of shopping, I found a pair of half price merrel barefoot casual mary jane style ballerina flats and a less than half price fossil purse. Yay for discount stores .