Page 252 of 270 FirstFirst ... 152202242250251252253254262 ... LastLast
Results 2,511 to 2,520 of 2697

Thread: Primal Journal **Greensprout** page 252

bullymama is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    hey Greensprout,

I think that protein CSA you got involved with is soooo cool! I wish I had something like that in my area. Actually, I've never looked into it so maybe there is something here...
    I used to get an organic produce box every other week shipped to me too; those can be lots of fun but can also be hit or miss. I also love just picking my own stuff at the farmer's market and i think it's more financially economical anyways. But still, fun to get a delivery of goodies delivered at your door!

You did good with your working out today!

Hope you have a wonderful weekend

Greensprout is online now Senior Member
    I would think that in SoCal you would have lots of CSA options available, you might want to look into that. Mine doesn't actually deliver to my door, but the seasonal shop where I'll pick it up is just a mile and a half away.

Yesterday's dinner was a great beef/lamb burger on a blob of labneh, topped with feta, roasted red pepper, tomato and red onion. Delish. I have kalua pork in the slow cooker smelling lovely, I put it on last night. Have made mayo and shredded green cabbage, fennel, carrots and sliced radishes for a slaw (inspired by NomNomPaleo). The pork is her recipe as well. I might make some pao de queijo (Brazilian cheese bread) as well, thinking of trying the PHD recipe, which calls for kneading the dough rather than the one in the blender I've used the last few times. The blender got ruined a few months ago by son #2 not having the cannister properly on and running it, which stripped the mechanism on both the cannister base and the base itself. We have an old Vitamix (bought maybe 20 years ago), and are waiting for a couple of replacements parts hubby found on EBay to arrive.

I was impressed yesterday to find my favourite local bulk food store now has starter cultures from Cultures for Health. Kombucha starter kit (not that I need one), yogurt culture, and both milk and water kefir grains. I will look a bit more into making water kefir and might give that a go. I had some last year in the US, and it was pretty nice.

Belly is still having some ups and downs, but mostly improving. I admit to starting some potato starch use over the past week, it seems to be a good thing. Will start slowly increasing the dose. A touch of gas with use, but not bad, and is less than at the start.

Belly is feeling off again this evening. Not sure what from.

The kalua pork was excellent. I roasted up the slab of skin in the oven after taking it out of the slow cooker, to get it fantastically crispy. Pig skin chips . Coleslaw very good (wonder of the bunch of raw cabbage isn't sitting well with me?). The new cheese bun recipe makes a tougher, denser bun. I think I liked the other one better. Might do some more experimenting. I also may have kneaded it a bit too much.

My deployed Lt is back to work, which is great to have someone to share the workload with. Have been getting rather weary of doing both jobs for the majority of the last 14 months.

Went for a 4.3 mile walk after work. The trees in the park are just beginning to bud, so spring is slowly progressing. The belly ache left me go at a slower pace than usual, but it still felt good to be out in the fresh air.

Eats:

black coffee
    2 small cheese buns with hazelnut/almond butter/honey
    few bits of crispy pork skin
    L: steak & potato with mushrooms, bone broth, a banana
    toasted coconut chips
    S: coleslaw, kalua pork with sauerkraut, 2 small cheese buns
    kombucha

Pedidoc is offline Senior Member
    Hope your tummy feels better soon.
    Female 53
    Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 160
    Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

Crispy pork skin?? yum, how delicious-sounding that is!

Your walk today sounded just lovely and the slower pace probably allowed you to savor the pretty scenery even more. I hope your tummy feels better soon though. As much as i love coleslaw, I know raw cabbage can make my stomach a little "off".

Thanks, gals. Belly is in fact feeling much better today. Since I had the cabbage last night, both slaw and kraut, I don't think that was the culprit.

Physio this afternoon agrees the shoulder is making progress, but still has a ways to go. Increasing levels on the exercises, and added a towel stretch. Back again in 2 weeks. Will be a while for sure before I can even think about any heavy (or even more than super light) upper body lifting. Bah. Baby steps. At least it's in the forward direction.

Working on getting stuff done more at home. Before making dinner I spot cleaned some needed areas in the bedroom carpet, cleaned 2 bathrooms and did a load of laundry. Really need to make myself do at least a couple of things every day, it would make a hell of a lot of difference. I have many things needing my attention. If I can at least tackle something regularly, eventually I'll have to get to the things I'm avoiding...like sorting out a bunch of crap in the bedroom that probably will require purging much of it.

Eats:

black coffee
    bone broth with gelatin & 2 egg yolks, few bits of crispy pork skin
    L: lamb/beef burger pattie with havarti, dill pickles
    2 squares of lindt 85%
    D: fritatta with bacon, ham, red onion, mushroom, spinach, tomato, roasted red pepper, kalmata olives, feta. Even son #2 proclaimed it "delicious".
    2 small cheese buns with almond/hazelnut butter & a touch of honey. These buns are going stale fast. Nobody else is eating them, unlike the previous versions I made, which were gobbled promptly.
    kombucha

Planning on reading tonight instead of too much online time. I spend most of my day on the computer at work, so why the heck am I doing it all evening too? I started up with the lumosity app on my phone, just 5 min or so a day (when I remember), and it allegedly fits into the "use your brain" primal law.

Gut continues to be fine, pretty much back to normal. Huh.

Eats on track. Nothing exciting enough to pass along. I have done well this week avoiding the call of the work chocolate. In fact, it's not calling very much at all.

Gym over lunch break. 30 min steep incline on the elliptical, then 30 min brisk walking on the treadmill (4 mi/hr).

Not good news from MIL. Seems her primary tumor is lung ca, the breast tumor is secondary, but growing quickly. Breast and lung docs have to confer, but next week she'll have the treatment plan, with either surgery first, or starting chemo late next week, plus maybe radiation. It's not sounding very positive at all. Hubby's worried, but realistic, and knows we can't do a damn thing from here. Once we know more next week, he'll have to decide at what point he will want to go see her (she's in Montreal). Sigh. She is a lovely lady, and hubby is her oldest child. Had an email from SIL in BC (married to hubby's brother), seeking advice about what they should do, as BIL is distressed and unsure whether to go home, or tell their kids, or what. I sent her my thoughts, hopefully it helps them sort out what feels right for them. When my stepdad was diagnosed with stage 4 lung CA with bone and adrenal mets, my boys were 10 and 8.5. I was waiting for the "right time" to tell them. Only treatment option for him was palliative. Just over a month later, he had a cerebral hemorrhage and died (based on my mom's reports, I was suspecting brain mets). That's when I had to tell the boys, who didn't even know he was ill. They took it well, but sternly told me "the next time someone in our family is going to die, you need to tell us". Lesson learned. Kids can be much more resilient than we give them credit for.

Funny, just realized stepdad's death was 9 years ago this week. I was conflicted over his death. He had been a mean, at times abusive alcoholic through my teens at home, and for many years beyond with my mom at his side. Had just moved past that and started becoming someone I would like to know better in his last few years. At his funeral, as my brother and step siblings tossed flowers into his grave, I stayed back, saying my own silent farewell silently. "Good bye, you son of a bitch". Harsh, yes, but that's how I felt. Haven't thought about that in a long time.

Packed for San Diego. Taxi is coming at 515 am, ugh. At least we get in by 230 pm, so time to unpack and explore. Conference is Mon through Thurs, very early flight home on Friday, but get home before dinnertime for the long weekend.

I shall be on the lookout for jacaranda trees.

I'm really so sorry about your MIL. Such a distressing time for all of you and i do hope the medical team can give her the proper care she needs.

The Jacaranda's are quite beautiful here in So Cal. I used to live on a street that was a purple haze of Jacaranda's when spring time came about. The city i live in, Pasadena, boasts about 3500+ Jacaranda trees! I hope you have a wonderful time in San Diego

I've seen jacarandas! Beautiful indeed!

Wifi in lobby of hotel only, you'd think a hilton could let guests access from rooms without a charge... Lovely dinner of sablefish, yum. And the restaurant covered the cost of the main as a mom on Mother's Day. How cool is that?? I was impressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk