Page 250 of 278 FirstFirst ... 150200240248249250251252260 ... LastLast
Results 2,491 to 2,500 of 2779

Thread: Primal Journal **Greensprout** page 250

Greensprout is offline Senior Member
    Snow continues to melt. Slowly, but moving in the right direction.

A quiet night yesterday, hubby at a work dinner that I drove him to, though he was home earlyish by 1030. Son #2 at work, #1 with friends, home for a late dinner then back out again. Lots I could have done, but settled on chilling with PVR shows after a Costco trip before it got too busy. Started on national geographic's "the legend of Mick Dodge", from the recommendation on one of MDA's Sunday posts a while back. Rather interesting grok like fellow, living in the forests of Washington state.

Day one of 4 day long weekend, yay. Fell asleep in front of TV for a few hours last night before crawling off to bed in the wee hours. Slept in, for a total of a good 10 hours, between bed and the armchair. Bitten (or perhaps more aptly nipped) by a spring cleaning bug, so spent a few hours scrubbing the kitchen. This included wiping down all cupboard exteriors and walls, scrubbing the gunk that builds up on the inside edges of the dishwasher, and degreasing the oven range hood screens and fan. Much better in there. I could do a lot more, but think I've had enough cleaning for today. Hubby did some sorting and cleaning in the basement. He's always trying to purge stuff, and occasionally convinces me to get rid of some of my old stuff.

Steaks for tonight. I have a turkey for Easter Sunday (not free range, but was a free bonus from the grocery around Christmas). I think I'll try pre-salting it in the fridge this time instead of brining like Thanksgiving, and see how that turns out.

A good long weekend, just didn't feel like posting.

The turkey turned out great, as did the paleo gravy, mashed potato, cauliflower mash and a carrot fennel salad. Tried a coconut pannacotta for dessert, though I added a bit much cocoa to the cherry puree topping (had a "black forest" concept in mind), so the cherry got a bit lost. Still tasty. Made around 9 litres of yummy turkey broth. Some was used in a carrot/kale soup last night that was a hit with everybody. Chunks of turkey meat added, and finished with a dash of tobasco, fresh lime, cilantro and fresh bacon bits. Yum. Had the last tonight with some shrimp instead of turkey, as we went through the leftovers remaining. Not much there at this point. Made a salad tonight that I haven't done since last summer: cucumber, plum tomato, avocado, feta, evoo, salt & pepper. And a squeeze of lime. Makes me think of summer.

Some lovely weather, hubby & I took an hour walk on Sunday to the park. Today I was home a touch early as I had physio late afternoon, so went out again. An hour, 4.3 miles. Felt inspired to run a bit, so thought I'd try half a mile. Haven't run since maybe last fall? Felt great at half a mile, slow pace. Still felt fine at one mile. Resumed walking after 1.5 miles slow running. Of course, as I was in VFFs, no doubt I'll be feeling it tomorrow, but I'll live. Already rather stiff tonight, should foam roll, though it's kind of tricky on the right side with the shoulder thing going on. As the weather gets better, I plan to start sprinting once in a while again. I prefer to to that on grass, not asphalt. Grass is mostly still far too wet and mushy in most places.

When I was in Brazil, the high humidity resulted in all my winter dry flaky skin patches to magically vanish. Alas, returning home has brought it back. Not as much, but still this early seasonal changing weather makes for dry skin. Ugh. Liberal use of various oils is helping a bit. Coconut, jojoba, almond.

The last few days in Brazil had me with some belly upset. On and off mild cramps, gas, and very loose BMs. The cramps resolved the first week home, but the gas and sporadically loose BMs are mostly continuing. Been taking some probiotics when I remember, and fermented foods here and there. It is improving, just kind of slow.

Stuff I've accomplished over the last 5 days:

huge kitchen clean
    roasted turkey and made abundant bone broth
    first attempt at pannacotta (will try again without the cherry cocoa topping)
    had car serviced (and winter tires changed over by hubby)
    many loads of laundry
    2 x 4+ mile walks plus a 1.5 mile run

Always more to get done, but it's not bad.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I forgot to tell you how lovely you are. I thought I'd posted it, but I didn't. (Note to self: thinking a response to a post isn't the same as actually posting an answer.)

Really good to hear that the run felt good.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Thanks Joanie . Cool how the blurry ipone photo softens the lines .

Not nearly as sore today as I expected. This is a good thing.

Got to the gym midday. Hit some sort of machine which was sort of a combo of an elliptical and a stepper, got my heart rate up and a bit of a sweat on. Then a good treadmill walk on a huge incline to hopefully target the backside.

Eats:

black coffee
    bone broth with gelatin & 2 egg yolks
    L: 2 HB eggs, 4 slices decent turkey deli meat, dill pickles, good portion of cuke/tomato/avocado/feta salad, an apple
    4 squares dark chocolate
    green mint tea
    4 walnut halves
    D: salmon panfried in butter, sweet potato, roasted brussel sprouts
    couple glasses of wine

I'm confirmed to go to the conference in San Diego next month, very nice. That's in just over 2 weeks, in fact. Then home for a long weekend, involved in the conference we host here annually, then off to Ontario for a week to sit in on a course that I deal with at the management level. A busy month ahead. Hopefully in that time the yard will dry up and I can start in on the garden. Planning on lots of herbs, tomatoes, cucumbers, hubby's jalapenos, and flowers. Son #2 suggested green beans. Might have to look for a spot for those.

Woke up with a nasty headache, so chose to bail on work today. Took a while to get back to sleep, but managed another couple of hours in bed. Still feeling somewhat off, so a quiet day at home for me. Might do a couple of housekeeping chores if I feel up to it a little later. Belly very rumbly today as well, and I think TOM is also about to start.

Feeling better, headache gone, but belly has been in a state of mild "offness" most of the day, but mostly resolved now. Mostly a feeling of fatigue remains. Kept the eats limited to black coffee (probably should have omitted this, but it's one of my regular things), bone broth with gelatin, a medium leftover baked potato with a touch of butter & wild garlic sea salt, 2 slices turkey deli meat, homemade kombucha. Will be roasting chicken breasts and asparagus for dinner to go with leftover sweet potato of yesterday. Don't expect to have more than a small bit.

As for household chores, they have remained undone. I figured that if I'd been at work, they wouldn't have been done anyway, so why worry about it? May yet clean a toilet or two later. Such fun.
    Last edited by Greensprout; 04-24-2014 at 02:54 PM.

Tacked a project at work today with a looming deadline. 95% complete, but my healing hand is aching from all the furious keyboarding all day.

I have nothing thawed for dinner, and staples are at a minimum as shopping day is tomorrow. Caved into hubby's suggestion of ordering gluten free pizzas tonight. Not ideal, but not so bad. I shall enjoy it. Needless to say, both boys were happy to hear what's on the menu.

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Greensprout View Post

I'm confirmed to go to the conference in San Diego next month, very nice. That's in just over 2 weeks, in fact.
    Just read,in Siobhan's journal, that you've never seen jacarandas. You may get the opportunity when you are in San Diego. Jacaranda Time in San Diego | Memories, Opinions & Potpourri

That's fantastic! Thanks, marcadav, for the link. I'll be on the lookout.

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I almost cried when I read that article. I miss California sometimes - this is one of those times -
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold