Page 230 of 250 FirstFirst ... 130180220228229230231232240 ... LastLast
Results 2,291 to 2,300 of 2491

Thread: Primal Journal **Greensprout** page 230

Greensprout is offline Senior Member
    And the same to you, Siobhan!

Still bloody cold. Got a few things done this morning at work, half day only. I left a bit early, to meet son #2 at chiropractor. He's been asking to go for a while, low back pain aggravated at work, plus wrist issues. He had the initial assessment yesterday with hubby, and today was going over the results and xrays, plus detailing the treatment plan. Turns out he has misalignment of C1 vertebrae, which no doubt is related to his poor posture, slumped shoulders and head forward positioning. Our insurance covers a decent annual portion of chiro, so we'll go ahead with treatment. He had the first treatment today, which I watched. I had some concerns about neck manipulation, of course as a nurse, I'm aware of those relatively rare cases of blood vessel dissection following neck manipulations, resulting in stroke. My concerns were addressed, and I'm pretty comfortable with the plan. Son is feeling better after the adjustment today, and has some at home stuff to do daily as well.

On with the usual Christmas Eve feast soon. Just the 4 of us. Son #1 is still at work currently, should be done by 6. We have an assortment of cheeses, salamis, ham, shrimp, bacon wrapped scallops, olives, pickles, pate, might do bacon wrapped dates, fruit, and the boys are making sushi rolls (they do this at work daily, so were keen to make for us). Will be opening a bottle of bubbly for hubby & I during the prep phase. Presents are all wrapped under the tree, plus the stocking items are wrapped as well.

Merry Christmas to all! Happiness and peace too.

Christmas Eve was nice. The feast was a bunch of nibbles. I didn't feel like I had a particularly large amount of food, but ended up feeling quite overfull and bloated late in the evening. Stayed up very late as a result. Eventually a particularly substantial bathroom event made everything feel much better. Is it odd that I had a tequila shot with my boys before heading off to bed around 2 am? Probably. It was son #1's bottle. The low end stuff.

Slept in nicely Christmas morning. Had coffee, then woke the boys after 11 to open presents. Everybody was very happy. The boys got me fuzzy soft jammies/lounging stuff and gift cert for spa. Very nice. They were rather pleased with themselves. Especially son #2, who has his own income for the first time at Christmas, and did a lot of planning. Hubby & I just do stockings for each other, my highlights are a copy of the Paleo Manifesto and an amazing hand blown heavy crystal brandy glass. It's lovely.

Random primal eats through Christmas Day. For dinner I made the most amazing beef rib roast, served with roasted rosemary garlic mini potatoes, roasted lemon garlic asparagus, and a creamy horseradish sauce. It was so damn good, I impressed even myself. Didn't actually eat a large portion, but every bite was mouthgasmic. Boys all want me to make it again. Hahahaha. I saved the meaty rib bones for me to gnaw on tonight. Yes, all mine. Chef's perogative.

Braved the mall crowds this afternoon for a couple of hours. It was very busy, the parking lot was worse, but I expected that and didn't mind too much. Lots of sales, but nothing jumped out at me. The couple things I had in mind weren't findable at any great discount. Considered some clothing, but wasn't really in the mood for trying stuff on. So home empty handed. Well, not entirely. I bought a piece of maple fudge, and ate half. This was planned, and I'm good with that. There are not a bunch of sweets in the house for the season, so haven't been sugar indulging anyway.

Still have a bit of a cold. Congestion worse in the mornings, perhaps aggravated by more cheese than usual? Tickly throat and on & off sneezing. More annoying than anything else.

Tonight's foods will be a random mix of what's left hanging out in the fridge. And perhaps a salad. I have my meaty bones beckoning me, heheheheh.

Off to work in the morning, just the one day then I'm off for a week. And I'll be the only one in my section at work. Might just go use the gym at work during the day rather than crossfit after work. Shoulder is feeling considerably better with a few extra days off. Can still squeeze out a few pullups in my basement, too.

Tomorrow is hubby's birthday, I'm ribbing him about getting old, since he'll be 48. He's taking it in stride. Might go out to dinner where the boys work, Son #1 is working tomorrow and has offered us a meal on him for a Christmas gift. Very cool.

tomi is offline Senior Member
    Popping in to say HI!

You're primal Christmas feast is quite impressive. I wish I could get my hubby on board with this WOE - life would be so much easier.

Hoping you're New Year is wonderful!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

As per Marcadav:
    Do 30-60 days clean primal.
    No grains, sugar, alcohol.
    Eat 3 meals and primal snacks.
    Don't track food.
    Don't tweak.
    Don't expect issues to go away quickly. Instead, just follow the plan and see how things play out.
    Decide on an exercise plan you can/will do consistently during the 30-60 days and then do it.

Hey Tomi, thanks for stopping by. A very happy New Year to you as well. I agree, life is much easier with hubby on board. Of course, he strays a lot more than me, but is happy to have me cook properly primal meals. He sees for himself that he feels much better eating this way.

My cold hit stronger last night. Had to take a decongestant/antihistamine, which on top of a couple glasses of wine did me in relatively early. Slept decently, until waking up before my alarm with congested sinuses and a dripping nose. Not a nice way to start a work day. Or any day, for that matter. Extremely quiet at work, barely anybody there at all. I did some stuff, went to the gym for a light workout (kettle bell swings and a 3 mile treadmill walk), then decided the sneezing and noseblowing would be better off at home, so left around 1. A lazy afternoon ensued, reading the Paleo Manifesto. Tried to snooze, but hubby was in cleaning mode, banging stuff around and vacuuming. But my kitchen is nicely clean, including drawers, fridge and pantry. Just had to move a few things back into their proper places.

Not feeling like it's the best night to go out to dinner, with the sneezing and nose blowing, hubby did mention we could defer if I didn't feel up to it, but it's probably better than cooking. Might have a protein style burger with sweet potato fries. I'm driving, so maybe one small glass of wine only for me. Should go get ready, I suppose. Am in sweats at the moment, with smudged makeup from nose blowing, and crazy hair. Would be better to be somewhat presentable .

Dinner was good. Son #1 came out from the kitchen to deliver our main courses in place of the servers. Very cool.

Hubby surprised me late last night with the declaration that he's going W30 (with a few tiny modifications here and there) in the morning, ie: today. Caught me off guard, as I'm just finally starting my week off as of tomorrow and had plans for making some great dishes while off that won't work for him now. That's not to say I still can't have them. And there's a bottle of cava already chilling for New Year's Eve, plus a couple of bottles of very good wine that I was looking forward to sharing. But I had to step back a touch and realize this is a great thing he's decided, and totally not about me. I need to support that as much as possible, as I would hope from him for me. Apparently in the 7 day's he's been off work, the scale is up 8 lbs for him. Large meals, plus snacking/grazing in between, plus alcohol. I think that shocked him to see that much gained, though I reminded him there's water weight likely there too. He's pretty much an all or nothing sort of guy when he sets his mind to it, for at least defined periods. He's rereading Robb Wolf's book today. And has been listening to the podcasts since I introduced him to them on last summer's road trip.

We had a lot of snow overnight, very windy today and bone chillingly frigid, with blizzard like conditions at times from blowing snow. A good day to stay in. Unfortunate timing that my knee MRI is tonight. Have to be across the city for 830pm. Of course, it had to be today. Ah well. Kind of messes with dinner as well, since they for some reason want no oral intake for 4 hours pre scan.

I'm roasting some bison marrow bones right now, will have some marrow before throwing them in the pressure cooker along with assorted meaty beef bones for some stock. I think I'm down to my last jar in the freezer. Lots of bones to use up.

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    I am full of admiration both your hub in deciding to take charge and you for supporting him. That is so great!

Bison marrow! I think that is as primal as you can get! Mmmmm....marrow....
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

I learned this, at least, by my experiment: that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. - Henry David Thoreau, Walden

There's a local farmer who calls himself "Mr. Bison". Sells at the farmers' market all season, and midwinter phones the people on his list that he'll be in the neighbourhood next week towing his trailer full of full sized freezers. Not particularly cheap, but good meat for sure.

Had a bit of the marrow, it was tasty on a spoon with some pink sea salt. Would be amazing on Brazilian cheese buns...speaking of which, I plan to make some this coming week. Been ages. The bone broth is in jars and looks and smells lovely. I'm going to try a second batch with the same bones tomorrow, plus an added couple of t-bone ones. Have never re-used bones a second time before, but what the heck, worth a try, and can always be used in a soup or something if a bit weak.

MRI is done. Stupid cold outside, snowy streets and extremely icy intersections. Managed to get through the scan without coughing or sneezing, yay me. Would have taken longer if I had, as any movement distorts the pictures. Now another month till I see the orthopod, though I may have to reschedule that as I may have a work trip that week (to Arizona, so not so bad...). Granted, my shoulder is bugging me more of late, though not so bad this week.

Ate not a lot today, 3 eggs with ham for brunch with a slice of gouda, a mandarin, kombucha, maybe 8 macadamia nuts, bit of sweetened costco coconut. Deferred supper due to the scan, but not particularly hungry by the time I got home close to 10. May have a bit of cheese & salami. Having wine while hubby has rooibos tea.

Interesting to note that though hubby saw a major jump up on the scale this week, I've been seeing a slow but steady decline since Monday. Yes, there was a slight up after the weekend, but still down about 2 lb from before last weekend. Granted, I didn't crossfit this week, so there may be another variable worthy of consideration.

Light on the eats today, just what I needed and nothing more. All good, and satisfied. Scale continues it's slow downward trend.

Out to restock some groceries that were depleted over Christmas. Basics, and produce for the most part. Stupid cold weather continues. Ugh. Hubby & I saw the new Hunger Games movie tonight. I enjoyed it. Reasonably close to the book, from what I remember from reading it 2 years ago. Regardless, a good evenings entertainment. More reading today from the Paleo Manifesto. I'm really enjoying that book. I like his perspective.

Made another batch of bone broth from yesterday's recycled bones and a couple more meaty ones. It seems pretty good.

Tomorrow should be a leg of lamb roast (locally raised). Sides to be determined. I love lamb. My final year at home we raised a lamb. His name was Buddy, and was very cute and friendly. He was also very tasty. I have no issues with that. We also butchered a calf named Bunter, and a few hogs (whose names I forget), as well as many chickens and a few geese, and the odd deer, moose and grouse. All nomalicious.

charpower is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Greensprout View Post
    Hubby said yesterday he wants to dial in the diet and get back on track. Very nice. If we both are prepared to encourage and support each other, that should give us much better success with sticking to the plan. I definitely will need more than 6 hours of sleep tonight, might not be 8, but 7+ is absolutely going to happen.
    Teamwork makes the dream work! It can only get better with the two of you working in concert. I hope you get your sleep under control.

I've roasted a leg of lamb which is now resting, done early so the boys can eat some before work. Hubby & I will eat later with cauliflower mash and some other vegetables.

Off to crossfit right away for the first time in over a week. Shoulder is feeling good, hopefully I won't aggravate it today.