Page 219 of 279 FirstFirst ... 119169209217218219220221229269 ... LastLast
Results 2,181 to 2,190 of 2787

Thread: Primal Journal **Greensprout** page 219

Greensprout is online now Senior Member
    Son #1 ended up doing an all nighter (brought back very old memories, heehee) then off to class with paper in hand. I was off early, so picked him up at the university, he's currently crashed, to be up later to study more for tomorrow's stats midterm.

Picked up my free range turkey. All 23 lbs of it. Holy crap, it's a small child! All of the birds this year from that supplier were between 22 and 28 lbs. Lots of leftovers, stuff to freeze, and gallons of amazing bone broth coming my way.

Made it to an early crossfit class. Kicked my ass once again, on top of the still sore trapezius and triceps. Hadn't eaten much today, so am very ready for dinner. Purple sweet tatoes are in the oven, and steaks ready for grilling soon. Hooray! And a bottle of an Argentenian red blend.

Looking forward to the farmers' market in the morning, though it's calling for rain. Only 3 Saturdays left until it closes for the season, so need to start stocking up on squashes, potatoes, and the like. And maybe more meat, although I have suppliers who deliver into the city during the winter season.

At crossfit, I worked to find my 1 rep max on deadlift. They work in kg, when I'm used to working in pounds. Form was good, so I added more weight. Ended up deciding my 1RM was 80 kg, which, holy crap, is 176 lbs. Seriously?? I never lifted that much when I was doing it regularly. After not doing the movement (and even then, working on form, not weight) for 6 weeks. How very superb. Great way to start the long weekend.

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    You can freakin' deadlift 80 kg?!?!?!? Superwoman!
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Quote Originally Posted by Siobhan View Post
    You can freakin' deadlift 80 kg?!?!?!? Superwoman!

Feeling all the pushups from yesterday's workout today. Lower body feels not too bad.

A decent sleep, but tired and feeling lazy today. Chilly, windy and gloomy all day. Out to farmers' market for fall veg: potatoes, several types of squash, carrots, eggs. Later trips to Costco and grocery. Of course, being a holiday weekend, Costco was stupid busy, as I expected. The parking lot was ridiculous. I'm always amazed at how rude people can be. And what's with just leaving your cart in the parking space or on the side, rather than walk 30 feet to put it in the corral? The cashier I had said there had been 3 fistfights in the parking lot today. Seriously?? And last weekend they had to call the police for a similar altercation. WTF people?? It's Costco, for crying out loud. Many days I shake my head at society.

Wings on the agenda for tonight. Considering crossfit again for tomorrow, as I won't be going for at least the first half of next week after Monday's surgery.

Yeah, and you're in Canada...imagine what it's like here in the U.S. One reason why I left the city to live in nowhere land. I was afraid of being shot over a shopping cart. (Seriously)

Well, I can't do crossfit, but at least I KNOW a crossfitter.

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Suse is offline Senior Member
    Yes, shopping trolleys not put away in the correct slot annoys me too. grrrr.

anyway, Vegas.... did you make any money or leave it all behind!

Vegas, well, I gambled as much as I won back. Haven't ventured beyond penny slots! My big win was just over $40. I am way behind in downloading any of the photos. Eventually...

Crossfit did not happen today, stayed up too late and slept in, so wasn't ready for the last class of the day at 1100. I have my ginormous turkey in brine until roasting time tomorrow. Never brined before, but got some great tips in another thread I posted last evening. I removed the backbone and most of the wings before brining, those are now in the pressure cooker for round 1 of broth. I'll probably make a squash soup for dinner tonight. Aiming for a lot of bone broth in my postop days this week. Ugh, not particularly looking forward to that on Tuesday.

I tried my cranberry kombucha. I was surprised that there didn't seem to be any fizz, after sitting for about 3 days bottled before popping into the fridge. The flavour is great, regardless. Quite tart. It probably needed a tad more sugar for the secondary ferment, and another day or so at room temperature, which has been a bit cooler than usual. The new batch of booch is doing well, scoby looking great and seems to be growing some more. Maybe in another batch or 2 it will have a baby, so I'll need another gallon jar to have a couple on the go at once.

Turkey is looking fantastic in the oven. Apparently brining speeds up the cooking time, so will have to start checking on internal temperature soon. All my vegetables are prepped and ready for cooking: potatoes for mash, cauliflower to steam and then puree, carrots to steam. And there will be primal gravy, there are a lot of drippings in the roasting pan. Hopefully the brining will lead to as amazing of a bird as I'm reading about.

Finished up a bunch of yardwork, well, mostly watching hubby do it while I puttered in the kitchen. Nice to see things done.

Not particularly looking forward to tomorrow's surgery, but will be good to get it over and done with. There's lots of bone broth and tea on hand, and of course, there will be mountains of leftover turkey. And a good bit of squash soup still in the fridge.

Turkey came out great, though I even overcooked it a bit due to the brine and having removed the backbone before brining and roasting. Even with that, even the white meat was tender and juicy, not dried out at all. Drippings made a lovely gravy (thickened with xanthan gum & tapioca starch), though a bit saltier than I would have done. Piled the carcass into my giant stock pot overnight, and by last evening I had about 15L of lovely golden flavourful bone broth. I'll freeze most of it, leave some out for straight up consumption, and will probably make some turkey vegetable soup today.

Surgery went well yesterday. A fairly short procedure, done under conscious sedation rather than full general anesthesia. I was out quick and fully (anesthetist said there was ketamine in the mix, so no wonder). Rather crampy afterwards, so took a couple of hits of IV meds in recovery, and one dose of T#3. Just naprosyn for home, which seems to be working. Was pretty exhausted the rest of the night, though perked up a bit in the evening after a bit of a nap. Slept well.

Off at home today, legally I can't even drive for the first 24 hrs post sedation, which is fine by me. Still feeling rather tired today, so I'll keep it low key. Cramps are manageable at the moment. Of course, this may pick up in the next day or two as my period is just on the horizon, it may be lighter and shorter this month due to the procedure, or it may not. Hopefully yes.

Not sure if I'll go back to work tomorrow or not, I can stay home till after the weekend if I want, have been given the time off already, but if I feel ready, I just need to call my doc to let him know. I'll see how I feel by this evening. It is paid sick time, so no worries there, but of course the longer I'm away, the more is left for me when I get back. And my Lt needs to handover her stuff to me, as after Tuesday, she'll be on leave and then deployed till spring, so I will be covering both desks once again.
    The work trip to Brazil is being pushed back to Jan or Feb, so I'm home for the next month. Next scheduled trip is back to Ontario for a week in mid Nov. And easy one.

For now, sipping chai mate tea, and considering starting the soup.
    Last edited by Greensprout; 10-16-2013 at 04:47 PM.

Pedidoc is online now Senior Member
    Glad you seem to be recovering so well. Take the time. I know the work piles up, but you need the rest.
    Female 53
    Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 160
    Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Glad it has all gone well! And you know I'm going to say to take the rest of the week off.