Page 212 of 277 FirstFirst ... 112162202210211212213214222262 ... LastLast
Results 2,111 to 2,120 of 2763

Thread: Primal Journal **Greensprout** page 212

Greensprout is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    My glutes and hamstrings are feeling yesterday's crossfit workout, but not too badly. Unfortunately, the knee is a bit swollen and consequently stiff. I saw physio this afternoon, he said aside from the swelling, based functionally on what I can do without pain, he wouldn't know there was an injury. Discharged me form treatment, though my file will stay open in case things change. Says to proceed with activity as tolerated, cautiously. I didn't actually say I had started crossfit, just that I had been doing "more" activity... I'm good with this.

Had another one of those great chats with son #1 last night, as usual as I was on the way to bed and ended up way later than planned. He's doing more researching about his future career options. He's actually considering military pilot training. We've never pushed military careers for either of the boys, but if they find interest in it on their own and want some guidance, we can provide a lot of experienced opinions. Of course, in his words, he's impulsive (in thought more than action), and his thoughts may be completely different in 6 weeks. A good chat and time well spent, regardless.

Eats:
    black coffee
    B: 3 scrambled eggs in butter with scallions & bacon ends
    bone broth
    green tea
    L: remnants of sirloin steak, 3 small baked potatoes
    few walnuts and pecans
    D: grass fed burger pattie topped with havarti, black olive tapenade, roasted red pepper, red onion, garden tomato
    a hard cider

Not surprisingly, woke hungry today after the small meal post crossfit last night. Having both the breakfast and lunch meals at work kept me well sated through the day. Must remember that, particularly around heavy workout days.

Woo hoo, one day of work until a week off! I may do some ER shifts while off, but that's a good thing, both for the maintaining clinical skills plus the extra cash.

Pedidoc is online now Senior Member
    Got to love those extra shifts! I do a night clinic when in El Paso because its $100/hr and who can say no to that! Hope your knee settles down to a dull roar.
    Female 53
    Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 160
    Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

Alas, my wages are not nearly $100 hourly for my shifts. As a casual RN (with shift differential, highest experience level and casual in lieu of benefits adjustment) it comes to somewhere around $40 per hour. But I"ll take it . When I do a casual shift, half of what I make is mine, and half goes into the "house" fund for extras. The last shift I worked on the stat holiday might be my dehydrator, still debating on that.

Very busy morning at work, some issues that needed sorting out. I think we mostly did so. Risk assessment and all that stuff. Got in my paperwork to renew my government passport, which I'll need for the Visa for the Brazil trip, and seems to be looking more and more likely to happen. Very cool.

Yay, I'm now off work for 9 days! I do have to monitor the on call stuff over the weekend, as I'm still sort of back up on call in case things go on. Just through Sunday at least. Weather has finally returned back to hot summer conditions, unlike the last 3 weeks of moderately cool temps. I'm happy it's hot again. Summer is short enough here that the heat is very welcome.

Ate sugar today, in the form of crap chocolate, no idea why, but I did. Move on.

Eats:
    coffee
    2 hb eggs
    L: burger pattie with red onion & havarti, dill pickles
    crappy chocolate
    hard cider

Dinner will be jumbo scallops currently thawing, perhaps with spinach, either sauteed or in salad.

The knee is still a bit swollen and tight today. I did ice twice last evening and took naprosyn. Should be back to baseline soon. I intend to do some good walking along with the 2 crossfit classes for the next week.

I've decided to jump on the kombucha homebrewing bandwagon. Of course, I wIent back to the store I saw nice gallon glass jars for $8 a couple of weeks ago and they were all gone . But I have to grow a scoby first anyway, before I need a jar that big. Seems to be a lot of online places to get scobys in the US, but alas, not here.

Managed to get a bottle of GTs original with a nice blobby thing sitting in the bottom, so will attempt to nurture it into my own little scoby. Apparently this can take 2-4 weeks to grow large enough to brew a kombucha batch. I have organic english breakfast black tea brewing with organic cane sugar at present, when it cools by tonight or tomorrow, I'll slip in the bottle of GTs, mutter a few incantations and send nourishing vibes, and hope for the best over the next few weeks. How exciting!

Even hubby expressed enthusiasm with the idea, which is really funny, because whenever I've given him a taste of the bought stuff, he shudders, sputters, and makes a face. It's the tartness, he still leans heavily to sweet. But says he'll give it a go. Hmm, perhaps I shouldn't have him like it, so I don't have to share! Ah well, it's good for him, and it would be great if he likes it too. I'll just have to keep brewing if it's a success.

I also bought several more bottles of GTs, so I can save the bottles after I have them. Silly me, I've always tossed them into the recycle bin. Just had half a bottle of citrus flavour. Nice indeed.

The tea is nearly cooled enough to add the bottled kombucha. I read to not add the kombucha until it's under 80F, according to my meat thermometer it's now 84. Soon, soon. How exciting.

I made an impromptu stir fry for dinner. Had some shrimp, cooked some rice, and had baby bok choi form yesterdays' farmers market. Simmered some broccoli in a a splash of chicken bone broth, added coconut oil, the shrimp, chinese 5 spice, ginger, garlic, turmeric, fish sauce, gluten free tamari, the bok choi, scallions, squirt of sriracha. A bit of xanthan gum to thicken the juices. Turned out extremely tasty, even scoring high taste point from son #2 and girlfriend. Must remember what I did and repeat again. Hubby also made goat cheese stuffed bacon wrapped jalapenos from his peppers growing out front. I had 4. Holy bejeebus, 2 of them were HOT. I mean REALLY HOT. Seriously. But super damn good. A win win dinner for all. Hubby and I shared a bottle of saved very nice slightly sweet aperitif style wine on the deck in the afternoon. Rather lovely.

We had wicked thunderstorms this morning, complete with a bit of hail for a few minutes. Turned nice and hot later on, but now is raining again. Hoping it's dry and sunny tomorrow, as I'd like some pool time. Oh, maybe not too hot later on, as it's crossfit day. And I need to go hunting for that gallon jar.

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    How cool! You will like it! And I hope it grows on the hub.

My Ex was here this weekend and we drank up all of my brew! I have two gallons going but it will be next week before they are ready.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

My little scoby to be is hanging out looking blobby in the sweet tea. Hopefully in several weeks it will be ready.

Felt a little draggy this morning, likely due to a bit of extra wine last night. Vacation week and all. Hubby's had a couple already this afternoon, but I have crossfit tonight, and am pretty beat afterwards, so won't have the same issue tomorrow. I had a bit of belly upset this morning and a good "cleaning out" in the bathroom...along with a slight ring of fire presence from those delicious hot peppers. Funnily enough, hubby reported later that he had been completely purged this am as well, haha.

Went out to browse my favourite local bulk food store. They have some new things, including lots of kitchen gadgets. They do have gallon jars, and lots, so I know where to go if I don't find a cheaper one. I was good and only looked at the treats (usually I grab a couple pieces of something chocolate), and left with thai chilis, flaked coconut and a few cocoa nibs. Afternoon was spent in the pool and in the sun. It's a lovely hot day. Decided I'd better come in to the a/c for a while or I'll be completely knackered by the time I head to crossfit for 730. Grilled up that awesome Togo chicken again early so I'd have a chance to eat before 9pm. It's fab. Marinated it overnight this time, and the flavours are even better. Of course, the down side to remembering to make the marinade at midnight is being tired, wine infused and distracted, so ended up shaving the top of the first knuckles on index and middle fingers on my right hand on the wicked sharp microplane. Not so nice, but at least I managed to not bleed on the ginger or the chicken.

Today's eats:
    coffee
    half a bottle of kombucha
    3 eggs scrambled with a bit of havarti
    lemonade: juice of a whole lemon in club soda with stevia
    2 chicken drums, grilled onions, 3 delicious cucumbers from outside the back door
    couple of raspberries, tsp of local raw honey (just because it's so good!)

Now relaxing till the workout. What crazy stuff do they have in store for us today? It's only 33C (91F)...hahaha, just working at staying hydrated so I don't wilt while there!
    Last edited by Greensprout; 08-19-2013 at 05:39 PM.

It's been a great day. A decent sleep in, but not too decadent. Hubby and I went to the zoo for the first time in many years, not since we lived here last time and the boys were small. Like not since 200/2002. It was fun. There's a new polar bear and penguin exhibit, and the rest of the usual stuff. My fave animal to day was the red panda. Sort of looks like a cross between a bear and a raccoon, with lovely red colouring. One was pacing, the other totally flaked out dead asleep and looking so adorable. I could see that draped over a sofa...

It was super lovely hot again, so we decided to stop on the way home for mojito ingredients. Meaning rum. Muddled with fresh picked mint and stevia, some lime, and club soda, it was a fab accompaniment to hanging on the deck and in the pool for the afternoon.

Dinner is on the way, I have fresh local lamb/grassfed beef burger patties for the grill, to be topped with locally made primal friendly tzatziki & black olive tapenade, roasted red peppers, and a caprese salad with garden tomatoes and basil. Most excellent.

I could have taken an ER shift today, so glad I didn't, since it's so beautiful out. Feeling a bit guilty, like I should be doing these extra shifts while I have time off, but I haven't had a week off since probably Christmas, and am completely enjoying it. Maybe I'll just stay home the entire week

Pedidoc is online now Senior Member
    Relax, rest, enjoy!
    Female 53
    Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 160
    Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yes, Pedidoc, I think I might do just that. I like this time off thing!

Browsed the mall this morning, looking for a new suitcase. So far unconvinced at the merits of soft side vs hard side stuff. Came home with dry shampoo powder from lush along with toothy tabs (tootpaste like stuff), and 3 mate teas.

I didn't report on Monday's crossfit, it was a review of some of the lifts, which reinforced a few things for me, and this coach's directions made more sense to me, so the jerk press was more doable. Finishing WOD was a 400m row, 30 wall balls followed by 25 toes to bar, or in my case, a few knees to elbows and the rest knees up...heehee. Tonight was focus on oly lifts. More jerk press, plus learning power cleans and hanging power snatch (ha, that sounds dirty ). No intense WOD at the end, as the focus was on form and muscle memory for these lifts. Felt a bit weird, but not bad. Might feel it in the shoulders tomorrow.