Page 211 of 279 FirstFirst ... 111161201209210211212213221261 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,110 of 2786

Thread: Primal Journal **Greensprout** page 211

Greensprout is offline Senior Member
    Hopefully that's the case. I'll try to keep that in mind over the next week. I did tell the other doc that I was going to be away most of Sept...

Ah, crossfit. Started out with jump rope for a warmup, including trying double unders. I think I managed to do one, twice, before getting tripped up and whipping my backside with the rope. A good mobility warmup and onto squats. Focus was on form. Back squats, front squats and overhead squats. I like it. This was the first time I've done weighted squats since first going to physio in June. Or was that late May? Anyway, I didn't go too heavy, I think a few sets at 79 lbs max for today on the back squat. The knee held out okay. Finished up with AMRAMP (as many rounds as possible) in 6 minutes of: 8 box jumps, 8 burpees and 8 overhead squats with a dowel. I used a 12 inch box, apparently the standard for women to aim for is 20 inches. I managed to do 4 full rounds plus one jump. Totally beat at the end. Even managed to bruise my palm and scrape my knees on the last round of burpees, as the fatigue set in and I was pretty much flopping onto the floor! A definite feeling of satisfaction at getting through. I can't imagine doing something like that on my own.

Not hungry at all when I got home, but peckish about 45 min later. Texted with hubby, showered, and decided I'd better eat. Just a small bit, but I'm stuffed. Now I'm just winding down for bed.

Eats:
    coffee
    1030: bone broth, fritatta, few oz of steak, cucumbers & radishes, a plum
    milk chocolate...O_o
    after work: pistachios, spoonful of berry sauce
    nearly 10pm: few spoonsful of browned ground beef/pork, couple spoonsful of berry sauce, banana/egg/macadamia butter "muffin". Basically one banana, one egg, tbsp of nut butter. Glass of wine.

Fell asleep under the laptop last night after eating, woke up after 11 to put the coffee on the timer and slink off to bed. As I was crawling in, heard son #1 open the door, apparently a couple buddies came over to game. Woke up close to 4 for the bathroom and smelled bacon. O_o. Seems they had bacon infused mac and cheese. At least son saved me the bacon fat

A bit sore today, but manageable. Had physio this afternoon, the knee is a tad swollen, but feels mostly okay. I didn't actually say I had started crossfit, but just that I was doing more, as he had said last time to go ahead with activities as tolerated. So I am doing just that. See the doc about the knee next week. Coincidentally, the same day I have the gyne appt later in the day.

2 days till hubby's home. Nice.

Eats:
    coffee
    bone broth
    L: ground beef & pork, a small potato, cucumbers
    2 squares 85% lindt dipped in coconut oik sprinkled with sea salt
    D: bowl of bacon ends/grape tomatoes/half an avocado
    rum & zevia
    banana egg chocolate pecan muffin with berry sauce & cream. Saved half for tomorrow.

I was hungry early today, so I ate. Dinner was rather small after crossfit yesterday.

Visited the hot tub tonight for the first time in a while. I'm feeling very relaxed, and ready for bed. Both boys are at work, so all quiet. Hopefully bacon aroma won't wake me again tonight!

Oy, the shoulders and hips were really tight and even burning today. Nearly 8 hours of sleep, but still not rested enough. All tight and achy in the office chair all day. Feeling better after lots of foam rolling this evening.

Will be good to have hubby home, but means there's the expectation of cooking dinner every night. Lately, with just me and the boys' work schedule, as long as there's food made (leftovers included), I've not been cooking daily, and enjoying that. I've been able to eat more to appetite for myself, rather than eating a whole full meal just because I've cooked it for others. Didn't cook today, as son #1 had just made food after I got home before he went to work, and #2 brought a meal home from work just after I got home. I rummaged in the fridge and found plenty to satisfy me.

Eats:
    coffee
    bone broth
    last of the fritatta, a plum, quarter cup of coconut oil/coconut butter/macadamia nut butter/vanilla
    D: cucumber with tzatziki, smoked pickerel, ham, kerrygold dubliner
    couple of hard cider
    few pork rinds

Sleep is needed. Farmers' market in the morning, I need eggs.

Foam rolling of the sore bits was helpful. I considered an epsom salt bath last night, but wasn't that energetic, haha. That does sound a bit odd, being "too tired to run a bath"... In bed at around 1130, woke at 730 but decided I didn't quite need to be up yet. Dozed a bit longer, then hubby texted at 815 that his flight had landed, so got up then.

Farmers' market very busy again this week. Once again restrained myself from buying more than we'll go through in the week. Came home with: raspberries, large head of leaf lettuce, zucchini, tomatoes, cucumbers, new potatoes, macaroons, eggs, grass fed ground beef and a beef tongue. No idea what I'll do with the latter, but there it is. Never tasted it before, either. But it's grass fed, and I hear good things about it. I think a long slow braise (or pressure cooker), then peel, slice, and fry or something like that. I'll figure something out. Hubby will be completely grossed out, heehee. It's currently hidden behind some lamb liver in the freezer. He'll never spot it there .

Stopped for groceries on the way back, and when I was replacing my cart in the parking lot corral, I heard a screech and horrible crash. There was a nasty 3 car collision on the main road in front of the store, including taking a traffic light pole down. Crazy. In the store, I ended up in a slow line, annoying as usual, but if I had been 4 minutes quicker, I would have been right in that intersection at the time of the crash. I suspect someone ran a yellow or something like that. A bit creeped out that it could have been me in that mess. All 3 cars looked horribly damaged. I wondered if I should stop to help, but by the time I went by, there was a good crowd of helpers, nobody seemed totally panicked, and the fire trucks were approaching, so on I went.

Eats so far today have been light, the last few bacon ends (some kid apparently found them and left just crumbs), 3 macaroons at the market, 2 slices of havarti, couple of raspberries, 3 walnut halves and a bite of something else that I totally can't remember! And a cider. I have some ribeye steaks to grill, along with new potatoes, asparagus, peppers and mushrooms. And a nice bottle of red. Good to have hubby home, now my sous-chef is back! And we can finally catch up on our recorded shows that I've had to save the past 3 weeks. Currently in the queue are the final of Hells Kitchen, 3 episodes of MasterChef and Under the Dome, plus a bunch of Game of Thrones, which we took a break from a while back. Boys are both working this evening (one till 11, other till 2), so the house is ours . After 3 weeks, this is a very good thing!

Hubby and I ventured out to browse Ikea today. Funny, it opened for the first time here 9 months ago, less than 3 miles from our house, and we hadn't been there yet. Seemingly we are the only people in the city who hadn't been there. Got lots of great ideas for organization. Picked up a few drawer organizers, and a neat hanger for all my scarves, which are currently stuffed into a drawer for lack of anywhere else to store them. I have a bunch of lovely silk scarves and pashminas from when I was in Afghanistan, that I forget about when they're not in sight.

Dinner today was outstanding. Grilled goat cheese stuffed bacon wrapped jalapenos from the garden (rather hot!), zucchini ribbons in fresh made pesto also from the garden, local tomatoes with a drizzle of evoo with sea salt and crushed toasted cumin seed, grilled skinless chicken thighs with a mix of spices and red palm oil. Awesome.

Hubby has the next 2 days off, since he's been away so long. Unfortunately, not me. Ah well. I guess that means no dueling over space in the bathroom to get ready for work until Wednesday.

Up later last night than planned (I'll blame that on hubby ), consequently rather tired today. I tried to snooze for a bit after work, but was interrupted a couple of times by hubby...couldn't he see I was sitting here with my feet up and eyes closed? Ah well.

I did hear back from my own doc today, who checked with the gyne offices after I let them know about the early appt tomorrow rather than in Oct. He said it's more of a scheduling thing, they could get me in, rather than anything to be alarmed about from the ultrasound. That's relieving.

Eats thus far:
    coffee
    bone broth
    L: leftover ribeye steak with mushrooms, cucumber, a banana
    milk chocolate...
    6 pm: a few raspberries, slice of havarti, tsp of local raw honey.

Crossfit in an hour, figured I'd get in that little snack, since lunch was long ago. My muscle aches of last week have dissipated, hopefully today's class won't put me right back there! Probably will, as we'll be doing different lifts today. All for the greater good, hahaha.
    Last edited by Greensprout; 08-12-2013 at 09:40 PM. Reason: typo

Crossfit was good. Focus today on presses. Standard barbell overhead presses, turns out the ones I've been doing have been wrong on technique. Go figure. Then push presses, and I can't for the life of me recall the name, but perhaps jerk presses, or something like that with a small jump. Precurser to olympic lift stuffs. I'll feel this tomorrow! One new person in our on ramp group today, another gal, probably 10 or more years younger than me, but now I'm not the only female in the group. Since we had an even number, todays finishing workout was a pair thing. While one ran 200m, the other did dumbell push presses and air squats x 10 each, repeating until the runner returned. 2 rounds of each thing. I was nearly sprinting, and it felt good.

Once home and showered, I ate half a medium sweet potato with ghee/coconut oil & cinnamon and 2 small chicken thighs. Plenty. And a hard cider. Yeah.

Sleep awaits imminently...

Suse is offline Senior Member
    Crossfit sounds mean. sometimes I think about going back to bootcamp but then I remember all the injuries ... and the general aches and pains... and think nah!

Mean? I kind of like it! Maybe that's the military in me. It definitely pushes me to do more and work harder than I would on my own, but still allows me to go at my own pace and with any limitations that may impact it. After 3 classes, I'm seriously considering signing on for regular classes, as long as I can deal with the cost. I'll have to use my "allowance" rather than "house money". No idea what tomorrow's class will entail. Some tenderness along the collarbones today, obviously from where the bar was resting during presses yesterday. Which means my elbows weren't up high enough in front, as it should be resting on the shoulders instead. The coach was saying "rest it on the meaty parts"...the other gal I was paired with looked at each other thinking "you may have meaty shoulders, but we sure as hell don't!!"

This morning I saw the doc at the base clinic in followup about the knee. She agreed with the physio assessment that an MRI is in order, as it does sound like a meniscus issue. And a referral back to the orthopedic surgeon who fixed it up 4 years ago. Likely will be months before either happens. Our universal healthcare system in Canada may be "free", but unless you have something extremely urgent, waits are long.

Also had the gyne appt this afternoon. The move up of appt was definitely due to scheduling on their part. The doc I saw today will be doing the procedure, which will be Oct 15. Lucky for me, this works well with my work travel schedule, plus is at the community hospital in my end of the city. A day surgery only, with anticipated conscious sedation rather than full anesthesia. All good, and should be minimal recovery time.

Made my bookings for the work trip to Sweden today, which is a for sure thing now. Most excellent. I think I need to buy a new suitcase, mine is rather trashed. Plus I have 3 connections each way, so need something durable. Oh, did I mention that I will have to do a short presentation there? Yes, I do. The slides were prepared already form someone who would have been going, but changed positions, and her replacement isn't able to go. I do have to do a good bit of research and prep in the next couple of weeks before I go. Worth the effort to have the chance to go. It will be my first time at a NATO workshop, hopefully not the last. Also have to research what things to bring home from there. Not that I'll have a lot of time to shop, but I'm sure I'll have a few minutes.

Eats:
    coffee
    bone broth
    L: tin of wild salmon with a small avocado, radishes, cucumber, a plum
    D: 2 baked scotch eggs, caprese salad, cucumber
    one cider and a glass of wine

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    2 work days left until a week of vacation, hooray. We're not going anywhere, but plan to do some stuff around the house and around the city.

Apparently didn't take enough food to work today to satisfy, and ended up eating 2 chocolate bars in the afternoon. Good grief. Note to self: take more real food and do not repeat.

Crossfit was good tonight. Warmup with a 200m run and lots of hip & shoulder mobility stuff, then jump rope and practicing double unders. I managed a decent few, though the speed rope whipped me rather nicely on the butt and forearms, leaving nice red welts. The arm marks are still there, haha. Onto technique for deadlifts and Russian kettlebell swings. I liked both. Was able to refine deadlift technique a good bit, and happy with the kettlebells. Practiced with 25 lb ones, then a bunch of swings with a 35 lb one, which felt fine. Final WOD was a timed 10 pushups (knees for me), 12 kettlebell swings and a 200m run, repeat x 3. I did it in 4:14, second to the young fit guy. Nice. Needless to say, I'm rather knackered now. I'll be feeling it in the glutes and legs tomorrow, already am, in fact. We had different coaches today, who were also good. I told one of them it's kind of like basic training all over again, but that was 28 years ago...and at the end of a PT session, we used to have to say "thank you Sgt/Lt/Capt for improving my slack and idle body, Sgt/Sir!"...rather funny in retrospect.

I don't eat dinner before the 730 class, just a nibble after work. Then I'm not particularly hungry afterwards. Probably should be throwing in a few more carbs post class, but I'm sure I'll sort that out with a bit of better planning, if I keep this up.

Eats:
    coffee
    bone broth
    L: one scotch egg, small baked potato, homemade dill pickles, a plum
    2 chocolate bars
    4pm: slice of havarti, few slices of salami, deli ham & turkey, spoonful of berry sauce
    930: bowl of grape tomatoes/cucumber/avocado/bacon end pieces/smidge of goat cheese/tbsp of tzatziki, glass of wine. Okay, 2 glasses.

I thought the 15 or 16 scotch eggs made yesterday (using huge eggs, I might add) would work for tonight's dinner. Yeah, right. I think hubby and I each took one for lunch, and by the time we got home today, I think there might be one left in the fridge. How silly of me. Hubby asked "what's for dinner?", to which I replied I dunno...got a sad whiny response of "well, there's other people here who need supper...", meaning him, both boys and son #2's girlfriend. So I baked bacon, picked some tomatoes, hauled lettuce, olive tapenade, avocados, red onion and other crap out of the fridge and let them have at it. Silly boys. Guess I'll have to ditch my routine of the last 3 weeks of batch cooking a bunch of meat, letting the boys grab stuff on their schedule and doing my own thing. Hubby seems to need a more regular schedule. Will have to work on that, as he's a big boy.