Page 205 of 279 FirstFirst ... 105155195203204205206207215255 ... LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,050 of 2782

Thread: Primal Journal **Greensprout** page 205

Greensprout is offline Senior Member
    Grad dinner and dance was very nice, great to see all the boys dressed in suits and the gals all glammed up in gowns. Our gluten free meal was good (soup, salad, roasted chicken, garlic smashed potato, decent veg, though I was disappointed we got a plain fruit plate for dessert rather than the cheesecake...is it so hard to make a proper gluten free dessert?? I think not). A dance with handsome son, I think that's the first time we danced together! Stayed on for the safe grad party at the nightclub in the hotel. Very loud, lots of intoxicated kids, but they behaved, and all was well. We were there till the bitter end, so son & I made it home close to 430 am. I had a black russian in honour of surviving the evening uneventfully, then was oddly awake as the sun was up and the birds chirping. In bed close to 530. And actually slept until 1230, which surprised me. Been a while since I did a "night shift".

Did some shopping this afternoon for son #2. He and girlfriend are going camping just outside the city at a provincial park for Mon and Tues night, so picked up some of their food supplies. We've pulled out our long neglected camping gear, had them practice setting up the tent and such, they should manage just fine.

Half day at work tomorrow, as it's a long weekend, though we have a retirement luncheon for one of our support staff. Then Sat morning off on the road to visit Mom. Son #1 is heading out for the weekend in the morning to a friend's cabin with a big gang of kids, and a parent.

Saw physio today. I had found my knee feeling a lot better mid week, but after the long night at the safe grad on my feet, it's rather stiff again, though not as bad as it was last week. I hadn't realized it is still swollen, but measures 3/4 of an inch more than the other knee, but last Tues it was half an inch more than today. Some different strengthening stuff to work on, and he is going to recommend MRI to the doc, so guess I'd better book a follow up appt for that. Lots of clicking and "sticking" going on under the patella, which has me still concerned about the meniscus. I mentioned I'd been thinking on crossfit onramp for this month, but was strongly cautioned that wouldn't be a good idea just yet.

Had a retirement luncheon for someone in the office, had a mediocre cobb salad, of which I ate more than I should have, felt very full afterwards and kind of off. Crappy dressing, no doubt.

Tonight is some laundry, steaks to go on the grill shortly, watching of recorded food shows, and a quick pack for the trip. Off early tomorrow for the 12+ hour drive to Moms place. Son #1 made it to friend's cabin, and #2 is working over the weekend, before his camping trip on Monday. We've got him sorted out with camping gear, so he should be good to go. Heading back home on the long drive again on Tuesday. Will take my knee compression sleeve to hopefully assist with keeping any more swelling down from sitting in the car all day. At least the weather looks good for a road trip.

Suse is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Greensprout View Post
    Grad dinner and dance was very nice, great to see all the boys dressed in suits and the gals all glammed up in gowns.
    Totally agree. Just had our work "do" here and I love the opp to get the glams on! Nice that you got to dance with your son....

Made it home about 2 hours ago. 12 1/2 hour drive each way, but the weather was great and traffic was surprisingly light.

A very good visit with Mom, great to see a handful of other relatives as well. And major kudos to hubby for coming along. He seemed to have a good time, and did very well with the "redneck" family that he's met only a couple of times over the years, as we've always lived so far away from my family. A cousin there (around my age) is getting married next Aug, and I think hubby has agreed that next year's trip to Mom should be for the wedding, since the family from all around will be there for it. Very nice, indeed.

Son #1 made it home from his party weekend at the lake, and son #2 seems to be doing just fine with girlfriend on his camping trip, and will be home tomorrow. House was in reasonable shape on our return, but my garden needed some serious watering. Temps have been around 30C the past couple of days, so not surprising. A few things droopy, but will recover nicely.

Should be off to bed, back to work in the morning, have to carpool with hubby since my car is with son #2.

Foods while away were reasonable. Mom knows well how we eat. I've given her a copy of the PB, plus the 21 day transformation, and she borrowed It Starts With Food when she was here last fall. Unfortunately, she didn't finish it, nor does she follow PB and is carrying a good bit of extra weight at 69, though pretty healthy otherwise. She had stocked local fresh butter and cream, and had no sweets around. Of course, there was plenty of wine and cider, plus some lovely Cuban rum from her trip a couple of months ago.

I decided to not sweat the bottled salad dressings, and chose to have Mom's sour cabbage rolls (made with cabbage she pickled herself last fall), and an aunt's natchynka (a traditional Ukranian cornmeal casserole type thing - most delicious). Both were very worth the treat.

Son #2 made it home from camping with my car intact, though filthy, and had a lot of fun. A bit of sunburn and some mosquito bites as the worst thing is good.

Back to work early today, catching up on stuff. I'm so pleased to have my new Lt, she has been forging ahead on stuff that needs attention, which leaves me time to work on projects I've been leaving to slow down because I was doing both jobs. Fabulous!

Hubby and I carpooled today. While on the road, I got him listening to Robb Wolf podcasts, we probably heard about 10 episodes. He's learning a lot. On the way to work today, he said tonight would be an alcohol free night. Of course, on the way home, it was blazingly hot, and he said maybe not...I never committed, but caved to "peer pressure" and had a cider tonight after getting stuff done outside. He's onboard with dialing stuff in and focusing on the important stuff, like sleep and such. Hopefully it continues. It really helps me when he's fully engaged as well.

Fit in a 45 min walk at lunch in the sun, and did my physio exercises.

Eats:
    coffee
    bone broth
    L: 3 HB eggs, small avocado, bit of cheese, dill pickles
    mint green tea
    a cider
    D: butter sauteed salmon fillet, green salad, caprese salad.

Physio on Friday ended up with my PT concluding I need an MRI to rule out more meniscus damage. Of course, I need the doc to order that, and can't get an appt for 6 weeks. Figures. It is feeling better at the moment.

It's been a good few days. Some fabulous meals. Yesterday, I pulled out the rotisserie for the BBQ which I seem to have forgotten about for a couple of years. A huge Hudderite grown chicken, spice rubbed turned out fabulous. And today, a discounted pork loin bone in roast on the BBQ grilled with indirect heat, spice rubbed turned out amazing with a chimichurri sauce. It's been hot and sunny all weekend, and much sangria was consumed, as we bottled white wine last week, so have plenty in stock.

I finally got into the pool for the first time this summer a cole days ago, and have been in every day since. Quite lovely.

TOM appeared on schedule, but strangely this month with no cramps. Even with a supremely heavy day on Friday. Strange, but I'm not complaining.

Woke with a headache this morning, which lasted half the day. I'm blaming yesterday's sangria. And sleep was less than 7 hours, which doesn't help.

Did physio exercises and took a 3 mile walk at lunch. It was nice and hot outside, but my knee is more sore and stiff afterwards. This is getting frustrating. It seems that the potential meniscus symptom are on top of what is likely patello-femoral symdrome, which was the initial issue, and now the symptoms of each are sometimes masking the other. I suppose I'd be best off working to resolve the PFS and not overdoing things, and the meniscus injury either is or isn't, but won't know that for months. If I'm lucky, the MRI will happen before the new year, seriously, it takes that long if not urgent.

I finally ordered the electric pressure cooker that I've been eyeballing on Amazon for a while. That last ER shift I did covers the price. Hopefully it will be here by the weekend, and I can try it out for bone broth. Next up is a dehydrator, I'm planning on a few more shifts over the summer, so it is doable.

Eats:
    coffee
    B: greek yogurt on blueberries with rhubarb strawberry sauce, walnuts & coconut flakes
    spicy mint green tea
    cup of coconut water
    L: couple oz of steak with chimichurri
    more tea
    D: thick pork loin slice, chimichurri, buttered steamed asparagus
    a rum & zevia, should probably be giving that a miss during the week...

Tired tonight, yes, once again, I need more sleep!

More than 7 hours of sleep, which led to feeling more rested today, but still room for improvement.

I decided today that having a bum knee was no excuse for not lifting, at least for upper body, anyway. Hit the gym for a warmup on the stationary bike, then band assisted pullups (6,5,5), bodyweight squats 15 x 2, OHP 45 x 8 for 3 sets, bench press 45x 8, 65 x 5, 55 x 5, followed by physio prescribed glute strengtheners. Interestingly, the knee feels pretty good tonight, even less stiffness than I've been having lately.

Wasn't too interested in making supper tonight. Son #1 at work, and #2 out for dinner to celebrate 6 month anniversary with his girlfriend. There were plenty of odds and ends of leftover stuff in the fridge, so despite hubby's dismay, it was a "fend for self" night. I was happy with odds and ends, as I wasn't all that hungry. To be honest, many days I'm not that hungry for dinner, but since I'm making a meal for everyone else, I have what I've cooked, when I'd be fine with less. Once it's made, sometimes it's somehow hard to take just a tiny bit. The thing is, most days the boys aren't around at meal time, so grab stuff whenever they're ready or home, but hubby still expects a meal to be prepared. The days I declare it's leftovers or fend for self, I usually get either a blatant utterance of dismay, or just a look. Put on your big boy pants and deal with it, is my thought.

We had a good chat with our east coast friends tonight about holiday plans. Looks like they'll be joining us in Vegas in the fall, we may get out there in the winter, and we're going to defer the cruise with them that was tentatively planned for Feb for a year till early 2015, which is probably better for us financially, anyways. Potentially Panama Canal cruise. Very much looking forward to the Vegas trip, now that it is looking more definite.

Oooh, here's something else: it looks like I'll be going on a work trip for a workshop in Sweden in early Sept. how cool is that?! I'll miss out on the labour day long weekend as it will be travel time, but will be a great trip for the work stuff, plus a fabulous chance to see somewhere totally new and different. I'm rather excited about this one. Still waiting for confirmation about the work trip to Brazil for Nov, hopefully it will be a go. My job definitely has a few perks here and there!

Eats:
    black coffee
    mate tea
    L: 2 HB eggs, bit of chicken salad with homemade mayo, dill pickles, local strawberries
    1 1/2 pepperoni sticks, kerrygold dubliner cheese, bit of a thick pork chop
    wine.

Was planning on the banana cocoa nuked muffin thing, but I'm full. Another day.

I put on a cold brewed decaf coffee last night, and tried it out today as an iced coffee with vanilla extract, 3 drops of stevia and heavy cream. Quite nice. No bitterness but lots of flavour to the brew. I'll do this again, and there's a good lot of the concentrated coffee in the fridge for the next few days.

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    I love cold brewed coffee, by far the best coffee I've ever had. In fact I think it has ruined me for the regular stuff!

Great news on the work trip! That sounds like so exciting! My work only ever sends me to Bangor or Portland. Eeuw.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hooray, my electric pressure cooker arrived from Amazon today! I'll be trying it out for bone broth over the weekend. I have chicken bones frozen, as well as grass fed beef, and some random lamb bones.

More than 7 hours of sleep last night again, reasonably rested feeling all day, no lulls of fatigue.

We had our weekly lunch at the mess today (1 km walk each way) so had meant to workout at the end of the workday, but got caught up in stuff and it didn't happen. Thought I might walk after work, but both boys were off to work tonight, so needed dinner on the go early. By the time that was done, it wasn't happening. Oh well. Tomorrow will make it priority for noon.

Had an unsettled belly this morning, can't pinpoint quite why, but it passed by midmorning. On a related note, I have noticed for a while now that when I eat a big salad or lots of leafy greens, there's a lot of undigested stuff the next day in the toilet, which is probably not a good thing. They obviously aren't being properly digested, but why? Maybe I need to be adding more probiotic and fermented foodstuffs into the mix. I do that here and there, but not much lately.

On a good note, my sweet cravings seem to have passed for the moment, and my appetite seems to be down and reasonable. Perhaps the latter is mostly a summer heat thing.

Eats:
    coffee
    bone broth
    L: 2 HB eggs into egg salad with mayo & scallions, a chocolate banana mug cake (1 banana, tbsp almond butter, 1 egg, cocoa, instant coffee granules, walnuts) with rhubarb strawberry sauce, club soda
    late D: small salad with local romaine, cucumber, radish, sweet peppers, mushrooms, half a small avocado, sliced grilled sirloin and a fresh vinaigrette.
    couple of drinks.

Hubby has to go away for a working group for probably 3 weeks midsummer. Not cool. We'll probably take a few days or maybe even a week off when he gets back in Aug. Of course, he's gone over the Aug long weekend, which sucks even more, but I suppose I can do an ER shift, and he may be able to take the train from Ottawa to Montreal to visit his Mom, which we had planned to do this summer.