Page 203 of 273 FirstFirst ... 103153193201202203204205213253 ... LastLast
Results 2,021 to 2,030 of 2729

Thread: Primal Journal **Greensprout** page 203

Greensprout is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    The walk midday was lovely. 4.2 miles in the sunshine. Streets are lined with fragrant lilacs and other flowering shrubs & trees. I did most of my physio exercises in the park midway, and foam rolled back at the gym after returning and doing more of the physio stuff.

I had a nasty headache most of the day, thought the walk would help, it was a tad better afterwards, but not by much. It seems to have gone away sometime between late afternoon and the drive home. Watered new plantings, and planted 2 shrub roses, a dogwood, and a couple of sedum. I hope they nicely fill in the spaces they've taken up residence in, as is the intent. Everything else is growing nicely thus far.

Hubby made it home from the west coast this evening, and now is packing for his 9 days in Ontario, leaving tomorrow late afternoon. I was thinking of taking another ER shift this Sunday, with hubby away and the boys working, but might just not and get stuff done at home. And I have some shopping I want to do.

Foods today have been less than usual, but I'm quite full and satisfied. My appetite seems a bit lower, which is fine by me. I could use getting rid of the excess that has accumulated over the winter. I seem to be on the right track, albeit slowly.

Eats:
    coffee
    bone broth
    L: 4 hb eggs with mayo, dijon and chives, dill pickles
    late D: few oz of grilled sirloin, asparagus.
    couple of cider.

Made another larger batch of rhubarb strawberry sauce. That stuff is fabulous. Had a few spoonsfull while making and putting into jars to cool, that's probably plenty for tonight, as I'm full.

If hubby finishes his packing, we'll catch the first episode of season 2 of Game of Thrones. I'm liking that show. Won't be seeing any more until hubby returns. Son #1 is anxious for us to catch up to the end of season 3, so he can talk about it!

Have to be in early to work for the rest of the week for morning briefing. Boo. But that means I leave a touch earlier, so not so bad if I get to bed at a decent time. Not bad last night, managed over 7 hours of sleep.

Up and in rather early for work, then left early to drop hubby off at the airport.

Feeling pretty tired after work. Around 6 1/2 hours of sleep, so no wonder. I was going to plant the other perennials I have on hand, but wasn't feeling it. Watered the remainder of the new stuff. One of my heirloom tomato plants has a tiny fruit already, yay. Son #1 is at work, #2 out with friends, then picking up girlfriend from work later on. Still seems odd to have evenings totally to myself after the busy days of kid schedules a few years ago. Not particularly productive, though I have a fresh batch of bones in the slow cooker (mostly lamb, bit of beef & bison), and roasted some chicken breasts.

Not really feeling much like dinner, so will make some chocolate banana mug muffins to top with the nomalicious rhubarb berry sauce. Probably all I need for tonight.

I seem to have lost/misplaced my main set of keys - car, house & mail key, plus tags for gym and yoga places. Came home from work with them on Monday, son #2 and I went out together to pick something up, he was driving, and we're both sure he grabbed that set of keys rather than the spare single he usually uses. Came back, he changed and headed to work shortly after, taking the single key. So they must be here somewhere, he's searched his room, so far to no avail. I've looked everywhere, as far as I can see, and no luck. . Makes no sense!! I'm rather annoyed about it.

Eats:
    coffee
    bone broth
    L: slices of sirloin and asparagus
    chai tea with stevia
    pepperoni stick, 4 pecan halves.

Around 7 1/2 hours of sleep, but my old friend (not) the snooze button was used a few times more than required, so ended up rushing around to make it in for the morning briefing. At least yesterday I found a pot of lamb liver pate in the freezer that I had forgotten about, didn't think there was any left. Great for lunches.

I had some sweet cravings at work, but made it through untainted. The fridge in the neighbouring area of cubicle land where I keep my water filter pitcher had restocked their chocolate bar canteen supply, which was calling to me, yet I managed to walk away. Funny, I have a stash of really good chocolate at home that I haven't had any of for ages, it just seems to happen at work. Probably because I'm sitting on my ass doing computer and paperwork and lately get easily distracted.

Was hungry before heading outside to walk, but it passed. It was a beautiful sunny day, I walked to and around the park for 5.2 miles, which included an easy 1.7 mile slow run in the middle. It felt good. Slow enough to be comfortable, which is great since I've not run much in ages. The down side was I wore my new Lucy shorts, which fit great and feel awesome, but they're a tad shorter than I realized, thus, the dreaded chub rub reared it's ugly head. Not nice at all. That should be plenty enough motivation to get rid of the excess in that area, since the shorts are very fine indeed. Legs are feeling plenty tired tonight, and the chafing is not so bad.

Once again, I wasn't in the mood for planting outside. Did laundry. There's always plenty of that. Easily a load or more daily could be done to stay on top. Cooked up a bunch of diced bacon ends of good stuff. Son #2 is at work, #1 is gaming in his room, and heading out to a party later. Last day of classes was yesterday for high school. #2 still has his morning tech school classes until the end of next week. I'm so glad he got his job, and will have something to do over the summer rather than hang around and get into trouble. I think the girlfriend is helping on that aspect too.

My keys are still unaccounted for. I'm completely perplexed on that.

Eats:
    coffee
    bone broth
    L: lamb liver pate and cream cheese on celery
    oolong tea
    4 pecan halves
    D: a cobb style salad: romaine, tomato, avocado, red onion, sliced chicken breast, bacon, goat cheese, light drizzle of evoo and balsamic. Wasn't that large, but left me ridiculously stuffed.
    A rum & zevia.

Will bet to bed earlier today. Was in bed well before 11 yesterday, aiming for better today. It's mentally harder to do that when it's still light out after 10pm.

Rainy today, nothing happening for me outdoors. Should be good tomorrow, then more rain for Sunday.

The sweet cravings hit again today after lunch, but once again fended them off with coconut mint herbal tea. I moved from my workspace to a neigbouring cubicle, as my new person starts on Monday. I hadn't moved yet as I was covering 2 desks for the past few months since the promotion, but this space is hers, so moved to where I'm supposed to be. A crap load of files of paper that need sorting came with me. Ugh. Probably a lot can be scrapped, but just need to get through them.

Left a bit early, due to the early start. Had 7ish hours of sleep, but still rushing around in the morning. Hit the herbal/natural food store for more black cohosh (I think it's helping with the hot flashes, they seem to be a lot less), more natural calm, jojoba oil, kombucha (on sale, yay), and decided to try the dong quai. We'll see if it makes any difference.

Wasn't sure what I wanted for dinner, and ended up picking up sushi for son #2 and girlfriend plus me. Son #1 is working, and was rather unhappy to learn there would be sushi when he wasn't here. Too bad, so sad. He'll get good stuff at work.

Eats:
    coffee
    bone broth
    L: lamb liver pate with cream cheese on celery
    herbal tea
    a pepperoni stick, couple of bacon crumbles
    D: small green salad (free, but with sweet sesame dressing), salmon sashimi, tuna maki roll
    a cider, glass of wine.
    may have some greek yogurt with rhubarb berry sauce in a bit. I have a lot of the suace left, and it's still damn fine.

I'm tired tonight, nothing going on, should get to bed early(ish) and be up at a good time to hit the farmers' market in the morning. I need eggs, will peruse the goat milk soaps, and seek out a gluten free treat, if anything looks appealing.

9+ hours of sleep was very welcome. Woke up feeling rather decent.

Hit the farmers' market for eggs, and splurged on some mini gluten free cinnamon cupcakes (unfrosted), made with brown rice flour, tapioca & potato flour (and agave, bah), they are quite tasty. And apparently freeze well, so that's what I'll do with most of them. Couple of greenhouse tomatoes, and rhubarb gluten free tarts.

Son #2 hadn't mowed the lawn, which I've asked him to do for several days, nor was going to get to it today, and it really needed a trim. So I did it. Tried the trimmer too, but the battery pack wasn't charged enough. Planted a few more perennial flowers and 4 english lavender plants.

Random eats through the day:
    coffee
    a few bacon crumbles
    2 pepperoni sticks
    slice of havarti
    3 mini gluten free cinnamon cupcakes
    rhubarb gluten free tart
    half a bottle of kombucha
    san pelligrino

Not sure what dinner will be. Both boys were supposed to be working, now son #1 says he is not, and will be home studying for a final exam on Monday and gaming. So I guess he expects some dinner, I'll figure it out eventually. Nothing is thawed, aside from wings, which I was more thinking about for tomorrow.

I also need to do the next step on the current batch of wine brewing, degassing and clarifying. Will be ready for bottling in 2 weeks after I get that done.

Settled on a small grass fed sirloin with sauteed mushrooms for dinner, along with a couple of glasses of red.

Another 9+ hour sleep (yes). Retail therapy netted a Lush face mask for free (returned 5 old containers) and bath bomb, 2 new teas, an iced loose leaf tea pitcher, a new pair of VFF komodos with laces in black and coral to replace my old torn KSOs and the newly ripped last year's komodo sport. The fabric is thinner on the upper than the last pair, I like them. And on a whim, a chocolate pecan caramel thing and smallish piece of maple walnut fudge. Why? 'Cause I thought I hadn't had any in a long time and why now? Well, I of course ate them both in full when I got home, on an empty belly. Blargh. Rapid heart rate and general ick feeling quickly ensued. Won't be doing that again anytime soon. Truly wasn't worth it. Ick.

Laundry, wine degassing (in which my over exuberance with the whine whip attachment on the power drill splooshed a bunch of wine all over the floor), and a bit of housecleaning. Just a little bit. Will make some primal hot wings, but don't expect to eat many, the sugar did me in for the day. The boys will make good use of the leftovers.

Of note, I've been doing the coconut oil baking soda deodorant thing for a while now. Started out just on work days when in my combat uniform, now pretty much daily. It works just fine and dandy. A bit of wetness here and there when hot, but no smell. Not even after the gym, the vast majority of the time. Very cool indeed. What's not to like about coconut oil? I also use it to clean my face most days, even with makeup, and most of the time for moisturizer. Hell of a lot cheaper than stuff I used to use and try, and my skin looks just as good.

No Father's Day stuff going on here. Hubby is of course away, and I lost my own dear Dad to suicide when I was 10, the 35th anniversary of which was last week. He was 3 weeks shy of turning 40. I miss that I never had the opportunity to know him as an adult. He was a man ahead of the times in many ways, in the 1970s he was experimental in the kitchen, organic gardening, composting, raising pheasants and banty hens, digging a root cellar and making wine out of gooseberries, chokecherries, dandylions and of course, grapes. I would have loved to have spent more time with him.
    Last edited by Greensprout; 06-16-2013 at 03:38 PM.

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Thank you for sharing your memories of your dad. It is so hard to lose them before their time. In a way they still live on in us. I often wonder what my dad would think of me now. He did love steak...

I'm still with the coconut oil/baking soda and can't believe how well it works. No smell! Even though now the weather is hotter a little wetness isn't a problem, and the Ban Roll On never totally stopped perspiration anyway. And it's the best moisturizer I've ever used, no doubt.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Yes, it would have been good to have a great dad through my teen years and into adulthood, rather than the alcoholic, and at times emotionally abusive stepfather who came into the family a few years later. He died of cancer 8 years ago. I still have mixed feelings about him, as he seemed to have mellowed a lot in his last few years.

I've been thinking about smoothies lately. I used to have them for breakfast semi regularly, and haven't in a very long time. Today was the day. An odd combo, but strangely tasty. 4 strawberries, maybe 1/4 cup of blueberries, fresh lemon, fresh ginger, half a small apple, celery, spinach, 1/2 cup of coconut milk, and 2 raw eggs. I had half for breakfast, then the rest for lunch. Rather filling. I shall repeat. In the past, I added whey protein powder, but decided it was unnecessary.

A lovely evening for ultimate frisbee. We met 45 min early for some practice, as we're truly not that good! We lost, but played quite well, improving as the game went on. And we even had 3 spares today! Lots of good sprinting, I had fun.

Eats:
    coffee, fruit & green smoothie
    bone broth
    rest of the smoothie
    after work: tbsp of bacon crumbles, couple bites of chicken breast, an apricot, slice of havarti
    post game, 9 pm: a hard cider, hot wings (yay, the boys left some behind!). Maybe a banana coming up?

My knee is kind of sore post game, and stiffening up rather nicely - or not. Physio tomorrow.

Sleep sucked big time last night. Woke a lot, and the last maybe 2 hours were fitful and hot & sweaty - not the good kind as I was all alone. Bah. All total maybe 6.5 hours of crappy sleep. Was ready for a nap after work, but the game woke me up. Now bed is calling... just have to switch over the laundry, some stuff is never done.

edit: no banana, but 2 defrosted gluten free mini cinnamon cupcakes. Perfect.
    Last edited by Greensprout; 06-17-2013 at 08:47 PM.

Unfortunately, my knee continued to stiffen overnight, waking me with discomfort every time I turned while sleeping. And led to a noticeable limp today. Going up and down stairs is not comfortable at all. Physio thinks no damage done, aside from overstressing what was already going on due to ultimate yesterday. It's quite swollen today. I have a compression knee sleeve and am icing tonight, along with elevation and antiinflammatory meds. Boo. There's a constant dull ache. When I told hubby, he texted back that he'll have to trade me in on a new model...I reminded him he couldn't afford it.

Did another smoothie today, but forgot the eggs. It had more ginger and was very tasty, though a very unappealing colour. I was feeling like something sweet after dinner, but waited, and now I'll go savoury instead, with goat cheese on rice crackers.

Eats:
    coffee, only 2 small cups, half a cup of smoothie: half an apple, lemon, ginger, 4 strawberries, 1/4 cup blueberries, celery, spinach, coconut milk
    citrusy mate tea
    bone broth
    rest of the smoothie, close to 2 cups
    D: grass fed burger pattie, used diced bacon in the patties, which was superb. Topped with aged cheddar, red onion, avocado, a side of sliced tomato with basil evoo & sea salt. glass of wine.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Knee is still not happy today. Not quite so bad as yesterday, but continues very stiff and rather swollen. I wore the compression sleeve all day, I suppose the swelling would have been worse after work if I hadn't, but it was lovely to remove it in the evening. Several rounds of ice tonight.

Activity was only walking to the mess and back with colleagues at lunch, a mile and a half total or so. Costco run after work, it was pleasantly not busy at 5pm on a Wednesday. Hell of a lot better than any weekend visit. The only samples offered worth taking were a bit of gluten free bratwurst and pickled asparagus spears. Both were reasonably good.

I haven't been feeling a lot of love for veggies lately, but have been having a bit more fruit. I'm okay with that. No big sweet cravings, either. I'm pretty sure that when those occur, it's generally premenstrual, and may just go with that and indulge to a small amount and be done with it.

Eats:
    2 small cups of black coffee
    citrus mate tea
    greek yogurt with rhubarb strawberry sauce, coconut flakes and a couple of walnuts
    L: grass fed burger pattie topped with havarti
    D: mess of crispy fried pork belly slices
    oh, and some raspberries. Mmmm.
    glass of wine.

Still needing more sleep. Around 7 hours last night, not wakened by knee pain or hot flash, but not enough to feel properly rested.
    Last edited by Greensprout; 06-19-2013 at 07:49 PM.