Page 202 of 279 FirstFirst ... 102152192200201202203204212252 ... LastLast
Results 2,011 to 2,020 of 2786

Thread: Primal Journal **Greensprout** page 202

Greensprout is offline Senior Member
    Ultimate frisbee game tonight. We lost badly, but had fun, and I got in a lot of good sprinting. And managed a couple of great catches too. All good. Legs and glutes are feeling pretty done in now! I did some of my physio exercises for glute strengthening this afternoon, which I've not been doing daily, as prescribed. Funny, my knee was aching when I was sitting at my desk all day, but felt quite fine when playing ultimate. Perhaps it's more related in inactivity (ie- sitting on my ass) rather than activity.

I made this awesome rhubarb berry sauce I remembered from last spring's MDA post. I recalled it is good, but it truly is spectacular. Highly recommended. It's why I bought the rhubarb on the weekend. I'll get some more next week. I used strawberries, rather than raspberries & blackberries, and it is amazing. Hubby and son #1 approved.

Eats:
    black coffee
    bone broth
    tuna with guacamole, sauerkraut, a nut & dried fruit bar, 1/4 cup of coconut butter/coconut oil/almond butter/cocoa
    herbal tea
    banana egg pancakes topped with rhubarb berry sauce. Oh yeah.

Carnitas were meant for dinner, but I wasn't feeling it, hence the pancakes. There's lots left, which will make a fine lunch for tomorrow.

Continuing on with the yardwork, hubby dug up some bedraggled looking shrubs left by the previous owners that we never particularly liked. We're purging a lot of old plants. Tonight a run to the garden centre for decent soil to add to our native clay, got another heirloom tomato, thyme and sage. Still on the hunt for rosemary and cilantro. Trying to decide on what new shrubs and perennials to add to the newly freed space, but haven't made any decisions yet.

Eats:
    black coffee, 2 leftover banana egg pancakes with berry sauce
    a nut & dried fruit bar, bone broth
    L: carnitas, just the meat with salsa, guacamole & cilantro, the last 2 tiny lemon lavender macaroons
    a few cherries and 4 pecan halves
    D: chicken thighs browned in bacon fat, steamed local asparagus, half a cup of rice, butter

Tomorrow morning is the "base commander's challenge", so my work team decided to walk the 5K together. Means I have to be in a bit earlier than I usually am, as the gate for cars will be closed for the event, so have to be in before 730. Ugh. But a decent walk in the morning is a good thing .

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Sounds kinda fun, even with the extra-early start. We should do something like that here. We won't, but we should!
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Holy crap, it's been a long day! Got home from work, changed, was chatting with son #1 before he was heading to work and the work phone went off. Have spent the whole evening on work. Briefly had a chance to mix burgers, which hubby offered to grill for me, ate, and then back to work. Of course, that's my job, but it's a pain when a lot is going on outside of regular duty hours. My office coordinates aeromedical evacuations, and this was one that had to be dealt with asap, and a very nonstandard mission, at that. Ah well. It was a lovely evening, and I had plans to be out in the garden working. So hubby pulled the remaining weeds in the back, heheh, so I won't have to now .

It was a beautiful sunny morning for the 5K walk. Fell into a nice brisk pace, done in about 40 min. They had "healthy snacks" afterwards, I grabbed a banana and water. Nice way to start the day.

Might have to reschedule my physio appt for tomorrow once again, this mission is happening tomorrow, so depends how things are going in the morning. I have to get a bunch of paperwork done first thing, so may even go in early for that if I can drag myself out the door in good time.

Eats:
    black coffee
    a banana, slice of havarti, fruit & dried fruit bar
    bone broth
    L: carnitas topped with salsa, a small avocado, cilantro and a squeeze of lime
    found "organic dark chocolate peanut butter cups" in my bag that I'd forgotten about from my last trip. I ate them.
    D: 2 small very tasty grass fed beef burger patties on romaine with jack cheese & tomato
    Ending the day with a cider.

TOM is lurking on the horizon, which would account for the hungries the past few days, and of course the bloaty jump of several pounds on the scale this morning. This too shall pass.

Busy day at work with the mission coordination, just got word the team has arrived home safely after a successful mission, so all is good. Had to once again reschedule my physio session that I had moved to today from yesterday, so Monday it will now be. That's fine. I need to get onto doing those exercises more often!

Hubby & I managed to get to son #1's rugby game just before the second half, it was season finals. He's the team captain, and lead them to the division 2 championships, which is most excellent, as the team last year when he started playing was rather unsuccessful. Now the boys are out celebrating, one of the other parents has allowed them to have a party at their home. Of course, most of these boys, and all of his close gang are of legal age now, the parents were cool as long as nobody is driving, and they are both physicians. Anyway, the kid was pretty pumped, and headed out for a meal at his restaurant for "pregame" celebrations. Hahaha. The game was great to watch, though we don't understand the rules of rugby at all!! As usual, a veritable testosterone fest of sweaty young men.

Eats:
    black coffee
    a dried fruit and nut bar - the box is close to done, won't pick these up regularly, they're rather good, but unnecessary extras.
    bone broth
    L: havarti cheese, roasted turkey cold cuts, dill pickles
    herbal mint coconut apple tea. Had a sweet craving that I quelled with sugar free gum, yes, not great, but whatever.
    D: 4 fried eggs with 3 slices of bacon, half a roma tomato, cold steamed asparagus with lemon vinaigrette dressing

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Greensprout View Post
    a veritable testosterone fest of sweaty young men.
    This made me smile
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Hubby took today off and did more yardwork, adding more good soil to the beds that we pulled some shabby shrubs out of, and more weeding out front. He found me some of the herbs I was missing. When I got home, I planted rosemary, thyme, dill, cilantro, and another heirloom tomato. Now there's some weird intermittant downpour going on, hopefully it passes by the time I need to put the steaks on the grill.

Another hungry morning, I ate all my foods brought to work before 11. And TOM has arrived, along with more bloat, hopefully all will be back to normal in a few days.

I picked up a shift in the ER for Sunday, will be my first in a very long time, so took 8 hours rather than 12. Hope it's not too crazy busy, but that's not likely. Some extra cash, anyways, which might go toward finally getting that electric pressure cooker I've been eyeballing on Amazon. It would be fantastic to do bone broth in an afternoon, rather than 2-3 days in the slow cooker. Speaking of bone broth, I missed my morning cup, as I forgot to take some out of the freezer last night. I freeze it in 500 ml and 1 litre canning jars.

After the weekend, hubby is going to be away for the next 2 weeks, aside from one night next week. Boo. I think I'll focus on tightening up the foods while he's away, and cut the booze. And maybe take another ER shift next weekend. I've gotten rather lax on all fronts lately, and even the workouts have tapered. Since the weird knee pain, and physio telling me not to squat weighted, I've allowed myself to slack off. No reason I haven't still done deadlifts and upper body lifting. Sigh. Next week will be back on track.

I'm even considering trying out a crossfit onramp month. I've eyeballed it for a while, but balked at the expense. And set timings for classes. The scheduling thing is just a good excuse. As for the money, if I work even one extra ER shift a month, I can cover the price. It seems there are a few more boxes in the city, and one quite close. Onramp is Mon and Wed evenings for an hour for 4 weeks. Not going to do the 630 am Tues/Thurs, too early for a hard workout and I'd have to arrange coming into work late. I'll look into it a bit more and consider it for next month, if physio approves. At the least, a month of coaching will teach me a lot on technique and form, even if I choose to not continue on with it right away.

Foods today were 2 fruit and nut bars, a burger pattie topped with aged cheddar, and a half cup of rhubarb berry sauce, herbal fruity tea. Had a sweet craving, but the tea helped with that.

Uh oh, pouring again. Planning on grilled striploins, asparagus, mushrooms and baked potato. I think we have a nice bottle of malbec too.

Saturday was the usual food shopping & errands day. Hubby & I hit a garden centre and picked up several shrubs and flowers. The garden plan is coming around nicely. Did some plantings, and continued work on the digging and soil replenishment project.

The meat people at the market that I've bought a bunch of grass fed beef & pastured pork were very low on pork this week. I asked if they ever have pork belly, rather than their cured bacon. He says there's been an upsurge in pastured pork demand lately, but there's not much demand for uncured belly, but if I want some, they can save some from the next time they butcher. I was very happy to hear this. I'll have to email them an order and should be able to get my hands on some hopefully sometime soon. Nice.

Dinner yesterday was grilled spatchcock chicken. which I haven't made for ages, and it was well worth the effort (not really a lot of effort, just some time). That plus roasted veggies - eggplant, peppers, red onion, mushrooms. A few adult beverages and a couple of episodes of Game of Thrones with hubby, then off to bed well before 1130.

Up early today for the ER shift. Decently busy with a few periods of chaos, but a good day. I'm glad I went back after these many months, and didn't feel too out of place after the long absence. Nice also to see many familiar faces, all saying "hey, good to see you back, you should be here more often". And of course, earning an extra few hundred $ for the day is good, too.

Eats:
    black coffee
    FF greek yogurt with blueberries, cherries and coconut flakes
    L: small piece of leftover steak (the fattier bits trimmed by son #2 off of his...now he knows show me his trimmings and ask if I want them saved, after seeing me shudder so many times when he tosses them into the trash ), and mushrooms
    slice of havarti after work
    D: will be pan fried salmon with leftover roasted veg.

Feeling physically tired out after the shift. Both boys are at work, so a nice relaxing evening. My ultimate frisbee team had rescheduled a game we would have had to default on from last week to this afternoon, so had to miss that. Ah well. Hope they had fun and did well. Next game tomorrow.

Suse is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Greensprout View Post
    Nice also to see many familiar faces, all saying "hey, good to see you back, you should be here more often". And of course, earning an extra few hundred $ for the day is good, too.
    Indeed!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Actually didn't make it to the frisbee game yesterday. A weird storm was moving through the city, some areas got heavy downpour and hail, but it missed my neighbourhood, and where the game was. But Son #2 needed the car for work, and hubby had left his at the airport overnight, and son #1 wasn't available. At least I used the time to get the plants watered, vaccuumed the main floor of the house, did 2 loads of laundry and cleaned 2 bathrooms.

Saw physio at the end of the workday, she gave me a few more things to be doing for glute strengthening, saw decent progress from our last appt, and did some deep massage on both IT bands. Yowza, that can be intense...the word painful springs to mind, in fact. But it always feels better afterwards. They're still tight, need to be using the foam roller several times daily.

Eats were decent, with quantities actually on the low side. I did sip on a vodka soda while watching the finale of Top Chef Canada, though I had planned on having none yesterday, ah well. That's probably part of the reason for having a handful of potato chips, when I wasn't even hungry. At least it was just a little bit.

Maybe today when I go do my physio exercises I'll throw in an outside walk. It's a lovely sunny day, so will be a good time for some Vit D synthesis at noon.