Page 201 of 272 FirstFirst ... 101151191199200201202203211251 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,010 of 2712

Thread: Primal Journal **Greensprout** page 201

Greensprout is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Suse View Post
    I think I should invest in a slow cooker this winter.
    Absolutely. It's invaluable. I'm eyeballing electric pressure cookers for my next kitchen investment.

Got home today late, and son #2's girlfriend had made the banana egg pancakes. Nice! Of course, they ate them all.

Long day with the conference, good stuff. Home just in time to change, check the field location way across the city, and head to my first ultimate game. Despite the team being young (I'm sure several were half my age or maybe even more that that), I was able to hold my own just fine. I'm not particularly good, but it was fun. Even scored my team's first point! We lost 16-7, but they had 16 players to our 6, so we had one whole spare compared to 3 full lines for them. Got in my play plus sprints in one shot! On the way home hit major traffic delays due to construction, boo, so by the time I showered and such, I wasn't eating till after 9. Wasn't a big meal, but I'm stuffed, and hadn't eaten much during the day, either. My knee is a tad sore, so have just placed an ice pack. Might ice the low back as well, as it feels a bit worn after the game. Did do the physio IT band stretches, though not the exercises. I think I've done enough today!

Eats:
    coffee
    few bits of fruit & veg at the conference, chocolate coconut butter
    coffee
    packet of cashew butter
    a cider after the game
    D: slow cooked beef shanks and bison short rib over a baked sweet potato covered in a bunch of the meat juices.

Feeling pretty weary now, still only got less than 7 hours of sleep last night, still up later than I wanted, plus had to be up a bit early. Belly too full for bed just yet, plus I have some laundry in that needs to hit the dryer before I turn in.

Cool overcast weekend. Haven't yet started my gardening. Must get on that. Tomorrow we have to participate in the Air Force Run, yes, we've been directed to either participate or volunteer. Hubby and I decided to just walk the Family 5K, with my knee a bit off and he hasn't been running for a while, it still gets us out there. Last year it was pouring rain, supposed to be better this year.

Yesterday's eats:
    coffee
    bone broth
    L: 2 chicken thighs, dill pickles, couple squares of dark chocolate, one coconut date roll
    3 slices of salami
    D: beef shank/bison short ribs on little brazilian cheese buns, dipped au jus. Great idea! The plate looked like 3 little sliders.
    rum & zevia

Hubby's getting busy sterilizing the wine making equipment, I guess we're bottling red this afternoon. It's one that is supposed to be decent for young drinking, and will age for a while as well. Hopefully good to go with tonight's steak.

The bottled zinfandel needs some time to mature, but has promise. Found a bottle of amarone to go with dinner.

An issue arose today with son #2, I sent him a text at work that we would discuss matters when he got home from work. Hubby was aware if the problem, and we had agreed to discuss it together. When the kid came home, hubby started talking FOR me, which pissed me off. The talk went fine, things are resolved, mostly anyway, but when I told hubby I didn't appreciate him speaking for me, he got all offended, walking away saying "well, next time don't invite me to participate". Seriously?? Approached him a bit later, saying that I had spent a few hours deliberating what I wanted to say and how to say it, and needed to say it myself, though I appreciated him being there. He grunted, as per typical man style. Good grief. An hour or so later, I was over it, as was he. What the hell was up with that???

Watched episodes one and two of Game of Thrones tonight. Looking forward to more.

Today's foods:
    coffee
    2 HB eggs with mayo on a brazilian cheese bun
    pecans, 2 cherries
    D: grilled sirloin, mushrooms, grilled asparagus, baked potato with sour cream, sauteed sweet peppers. A hard cider, wine.

Suse is offline Senior Member
    Everybody is talking about Game of Thrones lately. I would have to subscribe to a pay channel to get it... is it worth it really. Cause there is nothing else worth watching on tv lately (except Fashion Police! )

Watched episode 3 of season 1 of Game of Thrones tonight. It is rather good, medieval plus a bit of fantasy mixed in. Intrigue, betrayal and deception. We don't have the channel it's on either, son #1 has been watching it online, and hubby downloads episodes from somewhere online, the computer is linked by server to the tv, so we can watch there rather than on the computer. Maybe you can find it online, Suse.

Up early for the Air Force Run, walked a brisk 5K, and headed home. Around 17C, overcast and breezy. Knee got a bit tweaked with all the path on concrete. A lovely big brunch meal followed. The rest of the day was pretty damn lazy for both of us. No energy or motivation to do much aside from some required laundry.

Eats:
    coffee
    brunch: steak & potato with 2 poached eggs, peppers
    a few cherries, a few pecans
    D: BBQ pork chop, roasted sweet potato cubes in coconut oil with cinnamon and cayenne
    couple of ciders.

Physio revisit tomorrow, have been derelict on my exercises, but will stretch and foam roll tonight. I need it. And ultimate frisbee game at 7pm tomorrow night. Way across the city again, of course. Will ask hubby if he's interested in joining us, the team is small, and everyone agreed it's great if you can bring a friend to play if you have one for any game. I'd like to bring son #1 as a ringer, but he's working tomorrow. And after his today of 5 hours of provincial rugby team tryouts, he's pretty much worn out! And sunburned, though we didn't actually see the sun today. First words when he got home were "Mom, what food can you make me?".

Ultimate game today was fun. We lost, but it was very close. Of course, the other team had lots of people, we had only one spare. I seem to have pulled or at least overstretched something in my groin, made it damn hard to sprint in the second half. And some lovely bruises on my left thumb due to a fumbled attempt at a great pass. At end of the game, we were chatting, and someone asked "hey, how old is everyone", lol. There's a guy who's 35, 2 are 26, one is 23, and one is 20. And there's me! Too funny . Can definitely hold my own on the cardio bit, just not particularly skilled at the game, but I'm not the only one, hahaha.

Had physio for the knee, more exercises to do to strengthen the glutes, and then she did a massage of my tight right IT band. Yowza, that was painful!! But felt better afterwards.

Eats:
    coffee
    bone broth
    L: leftover steak and mushrooms
    D: 9 pm after ultimate and shower: 2 small chicken thighs, buttered steamed broccoli. Banana chocolate muffin made by hubby, so basically half a banana, half an egg, bit of almond butter & cocoa with a walnut half. Nicely full.
    a post game cider plus a glass of wine.

Ok, it's late, bedtime beckons.

Went to the gym to do my prescribed physio stuff this afternoon. 10 min warmup on the stationary bike, then some strengthening stuff. I was surprised when the physiotherapist said my glutes aren't as strong as she would like to see, am I doing something wrong with my squats and deadlifts?? Anyway, will follow what is recommended for now, and have next appointment next week. Finished off with a couple sets of band assisted pullups.

Went to a "lunch and learn" thing today about menopause stuff from one of the physicians at the base clinic. A few interesting points about how maybe hormone replacement stuff isn't as scary as we've been lead to believe in the past few years, apparently the studies that showed increases in cardiac disease, breast cancer and other nasty stuff was all in the older age group, like 60+, and not the same correlation in younger perimenopausal women. Of course when the topic turned to alternative therapies like black cohosh and dong quai, they were not recommended, but this specifically is because there are presently no scientific proper controlled studies published that show a benefit. I thought about asking more, but the tone seemed to be dismissive of anything not mainstream, so I didn't bother, not feeling well researched enough on my own.

On that note, I've been taking black cohosh for just over 2 weeks now. I think it's making a bit of difference, but am going to look more at dong quai to add. Most nights I wake somewhere between 4 and 6 VERY hot, sometimes a bit sweaty, but the last night super sweat was my first night in Chicago 2 weeks ago. Sometimes some hot spells during the day. Including today, which lasted about 2 hours, and included the first 30 min of my time at the gym. Was sweating far more than the effort I was expending called for. Bah.

Icing my knee at present, it's a bit tender. And the pulled groin was bothersome today. Ah well, I shall survive. Will do a bit more stretching and foam rolling of the IT band in a bit.

Didn't cook a proper supper today, there were some leftovers, son #1 was at rugby then home to refuel and off to work, son #2 at girlfriend's until a short while ago. Hubby's gone for a few days. I'll cook supper tomorrow, thawing grass fed ground beef and pastured pork.

Eats:
    coffee
    bone broth
    L: BBQ pork chop, dill pickles, monteray jack cheese
    10 pecan halves
    1/3 of a pork chop, 1 small chicken thigh, 2 small leftover baked potatoes with butter
    glass of wine.

Tomorrow is retirement luncheon for one of our clerks, after 35+ years of service. Generic rib place for the meal. No idea what I'll have. The foods there are very hohum at best, unless going for a full rack of ribs, and even then, I am very skeptical about what's in the sauce.

edit: Woke up just before 430 today to pee. We had left the window open for some air, and the damn birds were already singing, despite it not quite being light yet. Sunrise is presently at 528 am, so it starts getting light well before 5, and sunset is at 925. Took me a while to get back to sleep. Plus I was very hot. Not in a good way.
    Last edited by Greensprout; 05-28-2013 at 07:06 PM. Reason: birds and stuff

Nothing exciting food wise for the luncheon. I found the menu online, and there were very few things that didn't have gluten either in the food or the sauces. And soy in the broccoli. WTF?? Nasty. Settled for a salad with no soy in the dressing, though I expect there was canola oil. Was just ok.

Since lunch was small, I had a major craving for something sweet in the afternoon, but quashed that with a javavana mate tea with a few drops of stevia.

Both boys are working this evening, so had the night to myself. Had a 45 min light snooze, added some stuff to the pool, and was otherwise nonproductive.

Eats:
    coffee
    bone broth
    L: caesar salad with a tiny piece of grilled salmon. Not worth the price, but tasted ok.
    slice of deli ham, bit of chorizo, a nut/seed/fruit bar, slice of jack cheese
    2 slices bacon
    D: 4 eggs scrambled in butter, 3 slices beef bacon, sliced tomato
    glass of wine

Tomorrow is an education day at the hospital for the ER staff. Got the day off from regular work without having to use a vacation day. Updates on stuff plus CPR recert. Hubby gets home in the afternoon.

Alright, off to bed.

A good ER training day. Of course, the foods along with coffee were home baking, all nonedibles to me. I brought a few nibbles in my bag. It's been so long since I did an ER shift, talked to the staffing clerk at lunch, and may be picking up a shift or two soon. Maybe next weekend. The longer I stay away the harder it is to go back, particularly since there are always changes.

Rained all day, and a hell of a lot of it. And more coming tomorrow. Son #1 is heading a few hours east for a senior class canoe trip early tomorrow, I expect he'll be rather wet. They'll be gone a few days. I hope he has a lot of fun. Son #2 is working a lot of hours this weekend. Keeps him out of trouble, I'm thinking.

Eats:
    coffee
    3 slices of beef bacon, a nut & fruit bar
    D: ground beef/pork with mushrooms & broccoli in cream sauce over rice.
    glass of wine.

I'm feeling tired tonight, and the body feels achy and in need of rest as well. Had great intentions of a decent hour bedtime last night, was on my way when son #1 came home from work and we ended up in a good chat for a long while. He was even trying to encourage me to stay up later as he was enjoying the discussion, but I begged off and managed to crawl into bed well after 11. Earlier tonight. I think I'm always saying that. Hubby made it home, hopefully he won't try to keep me up later! He was in a pissy mood regarding a thing with son #2 when I got home, which put me off.

On a positive note, the farmers' market opens this weekend for the season, and I hear local asparagus is finally in season (things are VERY late this year). Looking forward to it, even though there's not much food stuffs there this early. The egg man should be there, at the least .

Friday was an odd day, as I ended up eating all of what foods I had brought to work between 9 and 11 am. Granted it wasn't all that much, from what I recall: bone broth, 2 slices of beef bacon, a plum, a nut & dried fruit bar and about 1/4 cup mix of coconut butter/coconut oil/cashew butter. Dinner was a lovely piece of salmon sauteed in ghee with a white wine & cream reduction with lemon over a lemon vinaigrette dressed salad of romaine, peppers & scallions.

The local farmers' market opened yesterday for the season. Not much for fresh foods yet, of course, but came away with eggs, gluten free rhubarb tarts and lavender lemon macaroons. One lady had a few of her baby goats there, she makes goat milk soaps and other products. She also does workshops, so I may be looking at a cheese making day in my future! Her farm has open house every Sunday, it would be fun to go out and see the goats, llamas and alpacas, hubby might even accompany me. A stop at a local seasonal shop yielded fresh local asparagus (finally!!) and rhubarb. Dinner of grilled tbones with baked potato & grilled asparagus.

After the torrential rains of Thurs and Fri, it dried up yesterday and was rather nice today. Hubby & I dug around the garden, and picked up some plants. He put up the gazebo while I planted. Tomatoes, basil, lemon basil, thai basil, oregano, mint, stevia, italian parsley. Still have a few more herbs to locate. I also relocated the chives to a new spot. And now I see there's a FROST warning for tonight, egad . Undecided if I should cover stuff up or take my chances. Probably the latter.

Made carnitas today, fabulous as usual on a bed of romaine with guacamole, fresh salsa, cilantro, sour cream and a squeeze of fresh lime. Had the second rhubarb tart, which hubby decided he wasn't interested in. Couple of ciders.