Page 2 of 274 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal **Greensprout** page 2

Greensprout is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    The getaway was great, some indulgences but nothing too over the top.

Friends made a decent effort for us, steak, carrots, asparagus (unfortunately with margerine rather than butter), salad with berries, mango and almonds. Dessert jello (oh well) with fruit and cream. Decent bit of wine. Later had dark chocolate with a bit too many grapes and lots of cheese. Felt overall went too heavy on the sugar with not enough fat. A bit heavy headed the next morning, was that due to the sugar or the wine??

Great breakfast Fri with eggs in butter (yay) and bacon. Went for an amazing nearly 3 hour hike through forest trails, cottage lanes, boardwalk through the marsh, ended up sloshing through ankle deep icy water in a bog and then trudging through thigh deep snow drifts. Had a blast, despite the soggy shoes. Then off for a brief swim in the pool followed by hot tub. Dinner in the pub was a bunless bison burger (yummy) with caesar salad, and decided to indulge in an apple crisp, which I found extremely sweet, though thoroughly delicious. Couple glasses of wine. Next morning scrambled eggs and sausages, then headed for home. Soccer game for son # 2, followed by errands. Dinner last night of grilled ribeyes, grilled asparagus marinated in evoo and red wine vinegar, mushrooms sauteed in bacon fat and butter. Another bottle of wine for two. Dessert of strawberries in coconut milk with a bit of dark chocolate. Using up a can of "light" ie less fat coconut milk which we had from our pre PB days...lets just say not so nice and reminder to never go back to the low fat versions of anything.

We brought a copy of the PB book and discussed with the friends, they were quite interested, but certainly a bit skeptical. Will be interesting to see if they want to learn more or pick up any of our new habits.

Today:

B: coffee with whole milk, few pieces of side pork, small grapefruit
    D: salmon marinated in soy & sesame oil, baked, on huge BLT salad (lettuce, spinach, yesterdays leftover mushrooms, red onion, tomato, fresh bacon bits, crumbled aged cheddar, dressed with red wine vinegar & warm bacon fat). Still stuffed from that.

So I'd say I stretched my 20% a bit far, but feel okay about that. No harm done as far as measurements or the scale go, either. Back on target for the week. Won't be able to get in workouts during the workday this week, so will have to make sure I get them in after work.

Busy last couple of days. On my feet all day at work, not getting to the workouts later as planned, but the plan was rather 'loose'...

Yesterday:
    B: smoothie with strawberries, blueberries, celery, spinach, coconut milk (lite) plus coconut oil, cocoa and vanilla protein powder. Coffee with whole milk.
    S: coffee with cream
    L: not really hungry, so coffee (americano) with cream
    D: thigh and leg from costco rotisserie chicken (not the best, but time was a factor) with salad of mixed greens, mango, avocado, slivered almond, dressed with evoo & apple cider vinegar. Few raw grape tomatoes.
    S: 2 glasses wine, 2 turkey pepperoni sticks

Not enough sleep, tired today.

Today:
    B: coffee with whole milk, 3 eggs scrambled in butter topped with homemade bacon bits and a bit of melted cheddar
    S: coffee with milk
    L: 3 oz dark chicken meat from leftover rotisserie bird, salad of grape tomato/cucumber/1/2 avocado with evoo & balsamic vinegar
    D: browned ground beef with green & red peppers with onion sauteed in bacon fat, all mixed with organic salsa, red pepper flakes, and topped with a dollop of organic sour cream.

Next 2 days are 12 hour shifts, so likely no workouts, although lots of time on my feet and may involve heavy lifting of patients! Will probably IF one of the 2 days.

Need to be getting more sleep...I should be feeling more energetic than I am the last 2 days. Definitely feel better if I get between 7-8 hrs, but find it hard to get myself to bed early, and am up before 6 am for work...must make more of an effort to turn off laptop or close the book earlier.

Suse is offline Senior Member
    you sound a lot like me... you enjoy your wine too much! :-)

Okay, I'm back. Busy few days.

Eating pretty much on target, my long shift days at the hospital were tempted by some of the delectable home baked goodies in the cafeteria (yes, really homemade, and used to be part of my day when there)...but as good as they looked, as I thought about it, they didn't look [I]that[I] good, so stayed away from temptation. Did some fasting, not all day, but just didn't eat meals when I wasn't too hungry, or if there wasn't anything good around.

Didn't manage to fit in any exercise outside of work, or rather should I say, I didn't do any, as I could have fit some in if I had REALLY felt like it. Tomorrow's another day, am off and it is going to be great weather.

Did a bit of shopping for the trip hubby and I are doing late next month...a week in Paris without kids!! Found some new pants and dresses, is awesome to fit into the size 6s and smalls and feel good in them!

Still need to scale back on the wine...am planning on nothing next week until the weekend, that's a reasonable goal, so plan to stick to it. Suse, I read your journal, you are right, we're both in the same wine loving boat, I think!

Today:

B: 2 hb guacamole devil eggs, coffee with whole milk
    L: IF, had 2 coffees with cream at work
    D: leftover sirloin with sauteed mushrooms, currently have kale chips in the oven for a snack. Yes, a couple of glasses of wine...

The kale chips last night were a hit with both hubby and me...certainly not a "chip", but strangely satisfying. Still have some leftover to sprinkle on other stuff over the next few days.

Today:

B: (brunch) 3 small coconut pancakes with sliced strawberries in fresh strawberry puree and whipped cream, 3 slices bacon, coffee with whole milk
    S: one cold coconut pancake with butter, about 1/3 cup almonds, bite of leftover steak
    D: good sized grilled pork chop, rainbow chard sauteed in bacon fat.

WOD: went for an hour brisk walk with hubby. Nice, warmest day yet here at 21C for the spring. Good dose of vitamin D.

Goals for the week:

Have hit a bit of a stall on the weight loss, though do still seem to be leaning out. So...no alcohol until at least the weekend, one or 2 24 hr IF days- probably Tues and Fri, get in some lifting, walk, one sprint session. Have already decreased nuts (except for today), will have less cheese, maybe increase fat with butter, coconut oil/milk. Fruit only one serving per day max. Aim for 7 hrs sleep per night.

Aiming high...

B: coffee with whole milk, 3 small leftover coconut pancakes with butter
    S: cups of rooibos and lemon yerba mate tea at my desk
    L: 1 red pepper, smoked salmon with 1/2 a cucumber and cream cheese with 1/2 an avocado. Not a huge lot, but surprisingly filling.
    D: probably salad or sauteed cabbage with leftover pork chop.

WOD: will be a 5 km walk/march at end of workday with approx 10 lb vest on. Starting training for our fitness evaluation this spring, where we march with a 50 lb load for 13 km in under 2 1/2 hrs, along with a few other items.

Dinner will be late, have to rush out for a kid soccer game fairly soon after getting home, and then won't be back until after 730. Tomorrow may be the IF, have 12 hr hospital shifts the next 2 days, then am at a conference (which is providing lunch) later in the week, so that might be a good place for another IF day.

Hubby is planning to tighten up his PB eating this week too, as he's not lost in the past while after an initial 10 lb loss. He's cutting the dairy except for milk in coffee (only has 2 cups in the morning) and butter, and I suggested to limit the fruit and nuts too. He still has a significant aversion to fatty meats, has to dissect all visible fat off of his dinner <sigh>. Am working on that. In the meantime, trying to get him to use more coconut milk/oil, evoo, butter, bacon, and feeding him meals prepared with more fats for dinner (we generally do our own thing each for breakfasts and lunch during the week). He hasn't made time to read the PB book yet, so is relying on me the noob to tell him what to eat!

Didn't get the walk/march done, got caught up in a meeting and then had to rush home for the soccer game.

Made an absolutely delicious dinner...sauteed purple cabbage in bacon fat & butter, salt & pepper, tossed in a huge handful of spinach at the end. Loaded that on a plate, added more bacon fat & butter to pan, added the sliced leftover pork chop to heat. Placed the meat with all the pan drippings left on top of the veg. An explosion of colour, bright purple and green veg, browned meat. I was thoroughly impressed with the taste, and devoured the lot. Unfortunately, hubby wasn't interested...ate his chop cold with visible fat picked out, and a small spinach/tomato salad with a bit of evoo/balsamic. I tried to get him to add more fat, but had to back off as all I was getting back were grunted "mmhmms". bah.

Will most certainly do the cabbage/spinach sautee again, and soon...maybe to end a fast tomorrow??

Suse is offline Senior Member
    I'm not a huge fan of pork (and yet I love bacon, what the....?) but that meal sounds like it looked gorgeous. I've always been slightly "afraid" of cabbage since my mother used to boil it till it was grey when I was a child (the green cabbage not the purple)

Ended a 24 hr IF after a busy 12 hour shift with:

D: roasted skin on chicken breast sliced and warmed in butter and bacon fat on top of another load of red cabbage with spinach like yesterday. Even yummier after being empty! Also added a couple oz of leftover sirloin warmed in the pan with the chicken.

Currently full to the brim. And no wine yesterday or tonight either. Thought briefly about a pastry at work, was feeling sad after my young trauma patient didn't survive his devastating injuries...but chose to be better than that. Emotions don't have to have sugar to be soothed. Settled for a cup of Tazo passion tea instead.

No specific workout, unless being on my feet "moving slowly" all shift counts...

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Long day, 12 hr shift then pick up kid from soccer practice, quick change of clothes and then to friends for late dinner.

B: coffee with whole milk, 2 coconut pancakes topped with butter & 2 eggs scrambled in coconut oil (sort of burrito style), very tasty
    L: deli turkey & roast beef wrapped around slices from one avocado, 2 last coconut pancakes with butter
    D: chicken breast (skinless, marinated in buttermilk & herbs, grilled), green salad with strawberries, pineapple, banana, slivered almonds with a creamed coconut dressing, italian marinaded veg salad), passed on the wine and dessert of chocolate pudding.

Got home hungry, likely due to not enough fat. Downed 1/2 cup coconut milk left in the fridge, and the last of my fresh bacon crumbles, probably about 2-3 slices. Feeling more full now.

Obviously no exercise in today, but the next 2 days should leave some time for that, am at a local conference but will be home in time to make dinner.

Decent day. Am feeling good on the tighter reigns on the food...alert with plenty of energy all day, which abruptly ends at this time of night...must mean bedtime! Not quite 7 hrs sleep nightly, but a good 6 1/2.

Page 2 of 274 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast