Page 172 of 263 FirstFirst ... 72122162170171172173174182222 ... LastLast
Results 1,711 to 1,720 of 2622

Thread: Primal Journal **Greensprout** page 172

Greensprout is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Ah, last day of work vacation. At least tomorrow we should be let go early, Jan 1 is off, then I'm taking vacation days for Fri and Mon. Shouldn't be a bad week. Quiet anyway, so either I can get lots done or I'll be highly unproductive and do very little.

Last night's dinner was a late dish of salad with sauteed scallops. Very yum. Still up late and slept in, but less wine than other days, so it's a start, haha.

I have a large dish of lamb shanks braising for tonight, first time making. I found a recipe online from Anne Burrell, made slight modifications, spent an hour on the prep, now safely tucked into the oven for 3 hours. It smells heavenly already. Will probably serve with sweet potato mash.

Now I'd better get on with some organizing I've been intending to do all week, and it is all still there staring at me. As usual.

A decent bit of organization done, finally. I was feeling a bit overwhelmed at what needed doing, until I decided to start one bite at a time. And cleaned a bathroom, which I'm not great at doing as often as it needs. Plus, I've got my stuff including gym bag ready for work tomorrow. Decent.

Last night I made the chocolate banana mug cake thing (in 4 silicone muffin cups) to share with hubby. Topped with mascarpone and a few fresh raspberries, it was a lovely end to the day.

Today's eats:
    black coffee
    smoked salmon wrapped around cucumber slices with cream cheese
    cup of turkey bone broth, a few cashews (?8) and macadamias (?12)
    slice of gouda
    italian soda: club soda with heavy cream, tsp of vanilla and 4 drops of stevia.
    D: lovely lamb shanks on mashed sweet potatoes. It was melt in the mouth, meaty goodness. I'll do this again, but next time without tomato paste. Maybe just broth and red wine. Very nomalicious, regardless.
    Some wine, but not too much. The alarm will be ringing early.
    Last edited by Greensprout; 12-30-2012 at 08:12 PM. Reason: more foods

Suse is offline Senior Member
    hmmm I just had my salivary glands go into overdrive thinking about nice tasty lamb shanks. not the kind of weatheer here for that though.

I was rather tired at work yesterday, no surprise. And not particularly productive, at least we were let go a few hours early. I didn't manage the gym, as they closed at work early too, and then felt not energetic enough to fight the crowds at the other gym. Came home and attempted a nap, which was largely unsuccessful. How annoying. Perhaps something to do with the small piece of maple fudge that I snarfed.

Dinner was simply yummy leftovers of lamb shank and mashed sweet potatoes. I did son #1 a huge favour, waiting till he came home from work shortly after 10 and subsequently showered, then gave him a ride to a friend's place. Teenagers. But at least he didn't want to take his car, and ended up sometime home in the very wee hours with a ride from the hosting parent. So no festive libations until about 11pm, then up rather late with hubby "celebrating" (heheheh). A decent sleep in, then started the day with a brunch of bacon & eggs for hubby, son #1, his buddy who stayed over, and me (son #2 was at a friend's place). A nice start to the New Year.

I believe I shall attempt the Brazilian Cheese Bread for tonight's dinner. Along with some shrimp and possibly steak.

Holiday "damage" was negligible, still sitting in the range of 148-152 lbs that I've been bouncing between since my last trip ended in early Dec. Unlike hubby, who claims an extra 6 lbs over the last 2 weeks, but then he's been indulging a lot more, which includes beer, a LOT of cheese, and a LOT of sugar. He's starting back on a W30 style approach today, although not fully strict as he wants to enjoy one bottle of good wine on the weekends. His main concern is the sugar. As for me, I'm not ready for W30 at the moment, I want to enjoy the cheese while it lasts! Tightening things up, regardless.

Goals for 2013:

1. lower BF%. I don't know exactly what that means in terms of a number or weight, but I'll know when I get there. For eating, this will be accomplished by reducing food quantities, minimizing sugars, and focusing on real foods.

2. reduce alcohol consumption.
    This will significantly aid in achieving goal #1, and help with goals #3 and #4.

3. get more sleep. 8 hours a night is great for me, but rarely happens during the work week. Need lights out earlier.

4. be consistent with activity. Walking, LHT, sprinting, yoga. A missed couple of days or even a week does not have to become a missed month. I feel so much better when I do this, and it helps significantly with achieving goal #1.

5. do 10 pullups by the end of the year. Son #1 thinks this is a very difficult goal, but I can do it if I work at it.

6. less screen time. Too much time wasted online or with TV. Do stuff, not just read/watch about it.

7. read more. I have a good stack of paleo related books that I've started or skimmed, but not completed. And get back into reading more fiction again, which I used to do voraciously.

8. play. I don't do this enough. Find ways to play more.

9. simplify and declutter my home. It's time. And doing so brings mental peace.

10. improve my garden this spring/summer. I have a small backyard garden, much in containers. The last couple of years it has been very haphazard, not well tended, and not what I am capable of cultivating.

Yes, I've spelled out many of these goals in the past. After nearly 3 years of following PB, and reaping some of the benefits, it's time to collect the rest. It's only me holding myself back. Laziness? Fear? Some of both, I suppose. As my Mom would say "time to shit or get off the pot". How very appropriate. And also appropriate that this pretty much follows the 10 primal laws.

I turn 45 in 3 months. It is time.

I am now in love with Brazilian Cheese Bread. And have been told by both sons to make it "all the time". Yeah. Not gonna happen. It's FAR too dangerously good. I'm undecided if I should stash some or just leave them out for the boys. Dangerous indeed. At least a batch is self limiting, with others in the house.

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, Brazilian Cheese Bread is primal crack. I could seriously eat it all day every day. But no.

You may not want to know this, but it freezes beautifully.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

I woke this morning with my belly doing a LOT of strange, loud gurgles and other odd noises. Wasn't particularly hungry, not uncomfortable, or bloated, but it was loud enough that I was glad hubby was wearing his earplugs! Wouldn't want to go into a meeting like that. I did have a rather watery BM, I was a little liberal on the dose of NaturalCalm at bedtime due to inattention. Maybe that was the issue? Or do I blame the Cheese Bread?! Had black coffee, arrived at work, and eventually it sorted itself out.

I was getting hungry by around 930, so pulled out the "breakfast" I'd prepped. Oh my, it was amazing. 2 small Brazilian Cheese Bread rolls stuffed with a total of 3 ghee scrambled eggs and 2 slices of bacon. Oh yeah. My belly and I are very happy. I left the rest of the Cheese Bread out, let the boys have it. I have concerns about the fact that it freezes beautifully.

Leaving work early for an optometrist appointment this afternoon, then plan on hitting the gym. LHT on the agenda for today.

All well with the eye exam, I had some concerns about over the last 6 months I'm having those "getting older" changes about near things looking better a bit farther away. Sometimes close is better without my glasses than with. He said the changes are not enough yet for a change in prescription, or <gasp> bifocal lenses, but to come back when it gets bothersome, potentially in a year or so. Ah well. Hubby had his eyes checked last month, and he has a bifocal lens coming up.

Of course, after the exam, my eyeballs felt numb and were stained yellow, due to the drops used when they do the pressure check for glaucoma. Ick. The gym looked horrendously busy when I passed by on the way home, no doubt full of hopeful resolution filled people. Ended up not going. Tomorrow during work for sure.

Slow and bored at work. Took some time to sort out some stuff that's been piling up. Fun with laundry tonight.

Eats:
    630: black coffee
    930: 3 scrambled eggs in ghee, 2 slices bacon stuffed into 2 small Brazilian cheese breads. Heavenly.
    lots of green tea
    1pm: turkey bone broth
    615: sesame dragon chicken on a bed or shredded raw cabbage. Most excellent.
    couple of drinks.

I did manage close to 7 1/2 hours of sleep last night. Not bad for a start. Now another day at work before taking a 4 day weekend, in which I intend to do more of the sorting/decluttering around the house.

Suse is offline Senior Member
    I like your goals but no 2 seems undoable.

What is brazilian cheese bread... how far back in the journal do I need to go to find out about this?