Page 170 of 263 FirstFirst ... 70120160168169170171172180220 ... LastLast
Results 1,691 to 1,700 of 2622

Thread: Primal Journal **Greensprout** page 170

Greensprout is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Ethiopian style sweet potatoes, I'll have to look for that one.

I didn't fast today, had a mid morning breakfast. The food at the afternoon event was not nearly as good as last year, no seafood, and the hot foods were all breaded or doughy type things. I "caught" hubby with fried mozzarella sticks and a piece of chocolate cake. Whatever. He's a big boy, though I had a giggle that he looked quite guilty to have been spotted, saying "you weren't supposed to see this!"

I seem to be continuing to have some allergy symptoms, the sort I used to have preprimal associated with spring and summer. Itchy, watery eyes, mostly. A real annoyance when wearing mascara, which I do daily, unless just hanging around the house. The days I've taken an antihistamine it's better, so I may have to go back on them regularly for a bit. Haven't had to be doing that for over 2 years. Not sure what's different now.

Had to stop at walmart tonight, and nearly picked up a big bag of Reese peanut butter balls. The bag was in my basket, but I put it down and took only the mini sized single serve pack. Not ideal, but not as bad as it could have been.

Eats:
    black coffee
    greek yogurt with berries, walnuts & coconut
    at the event: cheese, few raw veg, couple bits of pineapple and a strawberry, a few cheap milk chocolates
    D: yummy grass fed slow cooked beef roast, baked sweet potato, roasted brussel sprouts
    single serve small pack of reese pb minis
    wine

Tomorrow night is our anniversary dinner out, I'm looking forward to it. Might get the Christmas tree on Saturday, and Sunday has us going to hubby's boss's place for an afternoon open house.

edit: had a wanting for something. Salty won out over sweet, with 3 slices of bacon I'd stashed for breakfast and forgot about this morning. It was just what I needed.
    Last edited by Greensprout; 12-13-2012 at 08:28 PM. Reason: evening snack

A few of us took time away from the office midday to deliver Christmas hampers to 5 homes in the city. Boxes of food and frozen turkeys. The apartment buildings we went to were pretty shabby and in disrepair, as did many of the people we saw inside the lobbies. The recipients were very pleased and thankful for the hampers, so job well done. It was rather satisfying to be a part of that. Reminds me that I ought to be more involved in volunteer activities. I have thought about the food bank, but I think I'd be very sad about all the processed grain based foods. Better than none, if that's the option, but people have to get by.

Got through the day with black coffee, 2 HB eggs, 3 lindt chocolate truffles and herbal tea. Last bits of the roast beef (not much left at all) and some almonds after work.

Anniversary dinner out was fantastic. I started with a splurge on a cosmopolitan, and one glass of wine with dinner. Weren't going to share a bottle when hubby was driving. It was a 5 course meal, with 5 choices for each course. My dinner was: Roasted Manitoba Beet Salad - Spiced Bacon, Pine Nuts, Cranberry Port & Sage Chutney; Salmon Tartare - Jail Island Salmon, Crème Fraîche & Lemon Caviar; a tiny orange white chocolate sorbet for a palate cleanser; Lamb Shank - Slow Braised Shank, Roasted Butternut Squash Purée & Fennel Pistou with a slice of seared fois gras added on top; creme brulee for dessert with French press coffee. Portions not huge, artfully and expertly plated, and I think I'll go back there again. The chef changes the menu monthly, which can be perused online. And reasonably priced for the quality of the food for a special meal, $55 for the 5 courses.

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    You're making me hungry! That sounds fabulous!
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

“"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

A decent weekend. Saturday was a good sleep in, followed by dodging the crowds in the grocery and bulk food stores. At a lovely local independent bulk store, I had a sample of organic coffee done with the aeropress. It was very good. I may consider getting one of those. Hubby picked up the Christmas tree, too late to get a Fraser fir, so he got a balsam fir instead. It's a bit of an odd tree, sort of short and fat around the bottom. I think it's a bit big for the space it's going in, but hubby was singing it's praises all day. It smells great.

Saturday's eats:
    coffee
    creamy turmeric tea (recipe from MDA last winter)
    a couple of dark chocolate caramel pecan things (jumped into my basket at the bulk store), couple slices of hot genoa salami
    most of a T-bone steak with red wine reduction and garlic/rosemary butter, mushrooms, 3 small baked potatoes
    wine

I got annoyed at hubby last night, he had had a good few more drinks than me and was getting a bit silly and going on and on about stuff, to the point that I found it very annoying to the point of being obnoxious. I sort of lost it and threw the wine cork at his head...yeah, I really did, and wasn't particularly gentle about it. He wasn't impressed. Whatever. I suppose it was rather uncalled for, but he just wouldn't shut up! I had tried other means first, believe me. Anyway, I apologized, and life goes on. He felt rather fuzzy this morning, I'm not surprised.

Today I threw a pot of chili on in the slow cooker, which turned out nice and spicy. Off to hubby's boss's for a holiday open house for the afternoon, we brought goat cheese stuffed bacon wrapped dates, which were a huge hit. Even the lady there who's a dietician commented on how delicious they were and "healthy" too, haha. Recipe requests came in, so I've emailed it to hubby's work so he can distribute tomorrow. Son #1 gobbled a few too, before we left. Lots of nibbles there, I don't think I'll have dinner, but likely a snack or so at some point. I kind of had a lot of sugar, so don't need much more.

Eats:
    coffee
    3 small baked potatoes with garlic herb sea salt
    at the open house: shrimp, bacon wrapped scallops, sausage, cheese, berries, raw cauliflower & celery, homemade maple fudge - perhaps 4 small pieces, a huge weakness, 2 after eight mints, one chocolate turtle. 3 very small glasses of wine. The host asked if I wanted to take some fudge home, but I had to decline, as I'd just eat it all

Tonight I will be self indulgent in watching the finale of Survivor. Sad yes, but I will thoroughly enjoy myself.

This week at work, we are allowed to wear regular clothes rather than uniforms all week. A lovely change, but it means I have to think about what to wear, as well as have my hair presentable, rather than pulled back in the regular obligatory bun. Hmmm. But I'll be able to get out at lunch to do some shopping. That's a bonus. I don't like to do that in uniform.

Oh, and today is our 21st anniversary. Not too bad. Not even halfway to the end yet!

1Eating reasonably, aside from some continued sugar intake. Bah. I was doing some Christmas shopping after work yesterday, hadn't eaten much all day and went deliberately into the candy store to buy some of the fresh maple walnut fudge. And they were out of it. That's the only flavor that really appeals, so I left emptyhanded. Well, except for some peanut butter balls from another store. There are still a few left.

One more work day, then I'm off until the 31st. Unfortunately, on Friday I will be tied to my work blackberry, as I am still covering duty call for stuff, and there are things on the go. Shouldn't have to run into the office unless there are problems, so keeping fingers crossed. And tomorrow is holiday festivities at work, so not much work will be going on. The office gang is ordering pizza, and were canvassing today for topping selections. I replied "none, thanks, I'll bring my own lunch", to which I was told there is gluten free crust available, but I'd rather save an indulgence for something I really want. No doubt I'll use that over the next week on better stuff than takeout pizza.

Tonight I made a fabulous mushroom cream sauce for a pork loin roast. Sauteed mushrooms, bit of butter, turkey stock, heavy cream, garlic, onion, thyme. Oh, my, it was good. And roasted cubed potatoes in bacon fat. So my leftover lunch for tomorrow will be oh so much better than gluten free pizza.

As for activity this week, not so much. I did get a copy of Starting Strength from Amazon last week, so will be reading through that over the next week. Learning more about form could be a good thing. And I've asked son #1 about helping me with deadlift form, so I can do them effectively without risking my low back. I've felt twinges in the areas I've had muscle strain there previously when last doing them and upping the weight. I'd like to get past that.
    Last edited by Greensprout; 12-19-2012 at 09:06 PM.

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    Happy anniversary!
    Your dinner sounded wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by Greensprout View Post
    a couple of dark chocolate caramel pecan things (jumped into my basket at the bulk store)
    Don't you hate it when that happens??

I sort of lost it and threw the wine cork at his head...yeah, I really did, and wasn't particularly gentle about it. He wasn't impressed. Whatever.
    LOL!

we brought goat cheese stuffed bacon wrapped dates, which were a huge hit.

shrimp, bacon wrapped scallops, sausage, cheese, berries, raw cauliflower & celery, homemade maple fudge - perhaps 4 small pieces, a huge weakness, 2 after eight mints, one chocolate turtle. 3 very small glasses of wine. The host asked if I wanted to take some fudge home, but I had to decline, as I'd just eat it all
    I'd have eaten all that too (except for the shrimp and scallops - they make my hands swell and my throat itch)
    I haven't had bacon wrapped goat cheese stuffed dates...since last Christmas

I'd rather save an indulgence for something I really want. No doubt I'll use that over the next week on better stuff than takeout pizza.
    Yup
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Off work today, but still on the BB. The stuff I'm coordinating is delayed due to the big winter storm heading from the US into Canada, so am staying on duty call till tomorrow afternoon. Not really a big deal. Just a delay in completion of the mission for 24 hours. Then I can really be on holiday .

Up in the middle of the night for a phone call and a few emails. Part of the job. Then out for lots of food shopping. I braved Costco, which was very busy, but less so at 1030 am than it would have been later in the day. A few other stores too. I think I'm pretty much done shopping, hubby & I are just doing stockings for each other, and we have the boys mostly sorted out. Ordered flowers last night for mom and MIL, MIL's were delivered today, and she called to let us know they are fabulous. I'm pleased. It's a lovely white rose classy arrangement, same for both moms. Haven't heard from my mom if she got hers, but they should have been delivered today.

Son #2 went to open interviews yesterday at a chain pizza restaurant for a dishwasher job. He things it went well, and is supposed to hear back on Monday. A job would be a nice Christmas present!

Eats:
    black coffee
    tsp of coconut oil
    macadamia nuts, later a few cashews, half a dozen raspberries
    D: 2 burger patties with Mark's roasted red pepper sauce. I must say: OMNOMNOM. And tomato and red onion and avocado.
    couple of rum & krisda soda
    2 pepperoni sticks.

We have wine to bottle tomorrow.

Yesterday was a few more errands and picking up more food stuffs for Christmas. And the work stuff is all done, so call has been handed over and I'm "free" until New Year's eve. Yay.

Yesterday I nibbled a bit during the day: nuts, 2 pepperoni sticks, mandarin orange. Dinner of bacon wrapped beef tenderloin with sauteed mushrooms and peppers. We also bottled some wine yesterday, so some was consumed. Of course, after supper, I ate a load of fudge along with some chocolates...holy sugar crash!! Ended up falling asleep in the family room for nearly 3 hours instead of going to bed! Rather dumb of me to have brought that fudge home, but it was at least a smallish bag and there are only a few tiny pieces left.

Today will be prep of some foodstuffs for tomorrow's Christmas Eve Feast. And I'm going to go to the gym and get in some sort of workout. I'd like to do some movement daily through the holiday period in order to get back into the habit, not to mention helping to deal with any food indulgences.

Still working through some goals in my head for the upcoming year. They will be including lots of movement, and a return to W30 type eating in Jan, but will have to work through all the lovely cheeses purchased for Christmas first .

Success on a visit to the gym. Since I had the time, I was there for quite a while, taking my time and enjoying it. I was surprised how busy it was for a Sunday at noon. A 12 min warmup of walking on the treadmill, then onto free weights. Bench presses, overhead presses, lots of squats, planks, and assisted pullups. 3 sets of each, or so. Then back to the treadmill with a podcast for a 3.5 mile 50 min brisk walk, followed by a bit of stretching. I'm glad I went. I'm feeling it now, and likely will feel it much more tomorrow. Should hit the hot tub tonight. It's a bit less appealing to head out to the deck when it's -22C like it is at the moment. But only 8 steps across the deck.

Aiming for hot yoga tomorrow. The place I go this week has a "bring 2 friends for free" promo, so I think I've convinced hubby to come with me. Almost had son #1, but he has backed out. Ah well.

Didn't get as much kitchen stuff prepped as I'd thought, but no big deal. Lots of time to get that done tomorrow.

Eats were random today. A few nuts. Coffee. Post gym a bowl of chicken broth with the roasted red pepper sauce, a sliced up burger pattie & baby arugula. Few more nuts, 3 small bits of fudge. Slice of gouda, spoonful of cream cheese. I have sliced pork belly frying up right now for a crispy few bites.

Now that we've passed the solstice, I'm awaiting the daylight being longer. Currently here, it's about 8 hours between sunrise and sunset. Boo. But spring will come. In 4 months or so, realistically speaking for this locale.

Wow. After 44 years, I've just had my first Christmas carolers come to my front door. A guy with a guitar and 2 ladies with beautiful voices. Very nice indeed. And in -25C temps. I offered them some chocolates, and a donation to the Phillippine flood relief fund they were collecting for. This city has a very large Phillippino community. My heart was duly warmed.

And the times, they are a changin'. Son #1 came home from his third 8 hour shift in a row at work, and we allowed him a shot of rum in his cup of eggnog. He's 17 and in for the night. Legal age here is 18, which he will be in May. They do grow up fast.