Page 17 of 269 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal **Greensprout** page 17

Greensprout is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Thanks, ommmmmaggie. I've been following your European adventure with interest. A bit jealous, I might add

August challenge day 8.

1. Eat lots of plants and animals.

B: coffee with HWC. FF greek yogurt with 5 strawberries, few walnuts & coconut flakes.
    S: 1 HB egg topped with freshly made guacamole. Few macadamia nuts.
    D: late. Pile of tomato & cucumber topped with guacamole, bunch of slices of crispy pork belly.
    Now having a rum & diet coke, yes, not so good, but the end of a good hot day and I felt like it.

2. Avoid poisonous things.
    Not really, if you count the rum, which I suppose I must.

3. Move frequently at a slow pace.
    70 min walk through the park. Assume now all walks are in the VFFs unless otherwise declared. Liking those KSOs.

4. Lift heavy things.
    Few chinups, box jumps onto a park bench and some pushups while in the park.

5. Sprint once in a while.
    Thought about it, but too damn hot today.

6. Get adequate sleep.
    8.5 hours. Still off work today. Back to the grind routine tomorrow.

7. Play.
    More pool time, plus son #2's soccer game.

8. Get adequate sunlight.

Oh yeah. Hot & sunny, 31C with humidex up to 40. Walked in it, lounged on the deck, splashed in the pool, plus sat nearly 3 hours for soccer. I'm turning the most lovely tan shade of golden this year, haven't been this tanned since I can't remember when. And I've not used sunscreen ONCE yet. Booyah.

9. Avoid stupid mistakes.

Check.

10. Use your brain.
    Listened to another paleo podcast while walking. Some interesting stuff. Read a bit more GCBC.

Good week, though didn't completely hit all goals (ie sprint, had a bit more booze than ideal), but pretty good nevertheless. Scale down about 1 lb from last week. Will do a full set of measurements at the end of this week, and eventually share the results at the end of the month.

Downloaded the new PBF e book just a bit ago, looking forward to a good peruse. The timing is great for me, as I haven't really sorted out what I was wanting to do for a lifting routine, so this just may be the route to take.

Hair's a bit weird today, maybe due to the pool dunking over the weekend, though we have a salt water pool rather than chlorine. Time for a "wash" in the morning, might try the BS rather than the egg again with an ACV rinse and see what happens. Still can't really believe that it's been passable for public consumption after 12 days of no shampoo. Wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't tried it.

August challenge day 9.

B: coffee with HWC, pastured farmer's sausage with 3 eggs scrambled in the fat.
    L: slice of pastured ham, 2 organic cucumbers dipped in lots of guacamole.
    S: 6 walnut halves and 4 almonds while prepping dinner.
    D: small serving pork tenderloin medallions browned in bacon fat with a creamy fresh oregano & rosemary sauce, organic beets & beet greens with butter, organic carrots with butter and dill.
    S: slice of blueberry chocolate clafouti with HWC. Added a bit more coconut flour this time, and baked for an additional 10 min, so finally the texture was much nicer. Very tasty. And a glass of chardonnay, it was sitting there open and looking lonely, after I opened the bottle to use some as a reduction for the sauce. Tempting fate, perhaps?? Ah well. It's delicious.

Chardonnay.

Not really. Too slow and infrequent to count.

4. Lift heavy things.
    Did 50 bodyweight squats plus 3 sets of 5 full chest to the floor pushups in my office at lunchtime. Door closed, of course.

Once again, no.

6. Get adequate sleep.
    Not so great, only 6 hours.

7. Play.
    Browsed some shops after dinner. Shopping therapy?

Cloudy, plus at work. 5000 IU Vit D.

Good.

10. Use your brain.

Most definitely at work. And making up the pork recipe for dinner.

Did the Baking Soda wash with ACV rinse on the hair today. Looking nice and fresh. Not greasy whatsoever. Interesting.

August challenge day 10.

B: coffee with HWC. Made a smoothie (frozen berries, protein powder, cocoa powder, celery, coconut milk & coconut oil), poured a big container to take with me and remembered half way to work that the glass I poured to drink was still full in the kitchen. Guess that's what happens when you get up 15 min late and are rushing around to get out the door. Full from coffee by the time I got to work, so saved the smoothie.
    L: the aforementioned breakfast smoothie
    S: few nuts (almonds & pecans) prepping dinner. Maybe less than 1/4 cup total.
    D: slowcooker grassfed chuck beef roast with tomato & onion, steamed organic green beans with butter, some creamed kale.
    Yes, I'm having a glass of cab merlot at the moment. Decided to chalk it up to the 20%, despite being Wednesday.

See above.

No, again. Suboptimal beginning to the week.

4. Lift heavy things.
    Nothing here either.

Hmmm, not happening today.

6. Get adequate sleep.
    5.5 hours. This needs some major improvement. No wonder I'm tired!!

7. Play.
    Could use some.

Inside most of the day. 5000 IU Vit D.

Aha. Score one, at least.

10. Use your brain.
    Yes, at work. Chose to turn off while on the way home.

Water rinse of the hair today, it is really soft and has lots of shine. Could this be the end of the "transition" phase?? Waves were a tad odd, but that's due to the rush job with the hairdryer this morning. I may truely be onto something here.

August challenge day 11.

B: coffee with HWC.
    L: 2 HB eggs, tuna with homemade mayo, 2 cucumbers & handful of cherry tomatoes (from my garden, yay) & radishes, dipped in more mayo
    S: few nuts pre dinner (walnuts & macadamia). Need to stop doing that.
    D: pastured pork chop BBQ with SOG sauce...amazingly yummy. Buttered asparagus & broccoli, bit of sauerkraut. I cut the fat off the kids chops, as I know they won't touch it, and ate that too. Gave me pain to watch hubby practically dissect his nice fatty chop and toss aside all the grilled fatty goodness, but I was full enough to not grab that too. Sigh.
    And yes, I'm having a rum & diet coke, to remain consistent with the rest of the week.

See above.

Not.

4. Lift heavy things.

Not.

Bah, humbug.

6. Get adequate sleep.

6 hours. Yay for the upcoming weekend.

7. Play.
    Amused myself browsing the aisles of Safeway and reminding myself just how much of the contents of those stores is completely inedible. Dismayed to see they no longer carry pork rinds. Another victim of CW.

Nope. 5000 IU Vit D.

So far.

10. Use your brain.
    Until 4 pm, a lot. After 405, as little as possible.

Day 15 no 'poo. Impressed with shiny, non greasy, bouncy hair.

I'm reconsidering my weekly organic produce delivery thing. Considering what's available this time of year at the farmers' market, I'm not convinced the value is worth my money for the order. Not like I can't find organic produce in the stores at other times of the year for the most important items. Might give it another week and then cancel.

Ended up last night having a strange fast onset bout of extreme nausea. Had to dump the rum out, which is probably not a bad thing. Ended up hunting down a gravol and going to bed. Turns out it's that time of the month, I normally don't have nausea with that, but whatever. Felt mostly better in the morning, though crampy.

August challenge day 12.

B: coffee with HWC. Less than a cup of hubby's extra smoothie...good grief, he uses a lot of berries, I found it really sweet.
    L: work luncheon thing at a German restaurant. I had caesar and cucumber and greek salads, beets, sauerkraut, weinershnitzle sausage, few bites of hungarian beef goulash. Few bits of fresh pineapple & watermelon with whipped cream for dessert. Not bad.
    D: really not hungry, made grass fed beef taco salad for the family. Currently now making some bacon & eggs for me. With a glass of cab merlot. Because it's Friday.

Ummm...

No.

4. Lift heavy things.
    No.

Not this either.

6. Get adequate sleep.
    7 hours only as I went to bed feeling ill.

7. Play.
    Not much.

Rainy. 5000 IU Vit D.

Think so.

10. Use your brain.
    Only until 1430.

Planning to do the self assessment for PB Fitness tomorrow. Should be interesting. Farmers' market early, soccer game, errands, and so on. No real weekend plans.

August challenge day 13.

B/L: doing stuff and not too hungry. Since getting up at 7 am I've nibbled on : coffee with HWC, 8 cherries, 1 tbsp creamed coconut, 1 slice hot genoa salami, few bacon crumbles, one meduim kohlrabi dipped in mayo. Really not much, but I'm good till dinner.
    D: dry rub ribs in the oven, and will make my own caesar salad. Probably some wine later.

Yes, so far.

Maybe half an hour while doing stuff.

4. Lift heavy things.
    Did the PB fitness assessment. Did pretty good, but think I'll be feeling it tomorrow!
    Pushups: 24 (15 year old son was watching to make sure I went down low enough to the floor)
    Pullups: 5 (chinups), though not to full extension.
    Squats: stopped at 75
    Dive bombers: 7. These were tough!
    Planks: 91+ sec each way. Doing the sides that long nearly did me in, but I squeezed it out.

Not today.

6. Get adequate sleep.

6 hours. Up early for market and kids' soccer.

7. Play.
    Had fun at the farmers' market, plus watching son #1's game. Puttering around the kitchen playing with my food is fun stuff too.

None to be found here today. 5000 IU Vit D.

Yes.

10. Use your brain.

Only a little. That's all I need today.

August challenge day 14.

B/L: coffee with HWC, 3 small coconut pancakes topped with blueberries, smashed strawberries & HWC.
    S: few pecans, few bacon crumbles. Couple ounces of meat from yesterday's ribs.
    D: bison burgers (mixed with pastured ground pork)...YUM, sauteed rainbow chard and butter sauteed eggplant. All very filling and a hit with the family. Kids had carrots/broccoli rather than the 'adult' veggies. 2 glasses of shiraz.

Mostly.

Not a lot, raining all day.

4. Lift heavy things.
    Not much.

No.

6. Get adequate sleep.
    8.5 hours.

7. Play.
    ??

Rain didn't stop until after 6 pm. 5000 IU Vit D.

Yes.

10. Use your brain.
    Hardly.

Feeling tired this evening, and feeling the effects of yesterday's fitness assessment. Sat for 90+ minutes in the pouring rain watching son #1's game, only 13C, huge change to the 40C+ with humidex of early last week. Please don't tell me summer's over already?? And at day 18 of no shampoo, my hair is looking great. Soft, shiny, and tons of body. I'm liking this.

Taking tomorrow off work, hopefully the rain will hold off to get outside and move more. Heading out to pick up a half price food processor in the morning, I've been eyeballing them for a while, and am ready to take the plunge. I think it will be a worthwhile purchase, particularly since I'm spending a lot more time prepping food and cooking since turning primal.

Last night I ended up nonstop snacking, even though I wasn't even really hungry. Pork rinds, cheddar, pistachios, and some more wine. The voice inside my head shouting "get the hell out of the kitchen" ended up being sadly ignored. All I can chalk it up to is hormonal demands, if that is any excuse. Woke up thankfully not hungry, so didn't eat until 1330, at least.

August challenge day 15.

B: coffee with HWC.
    L: 2/3 of a bison burger with butter fried eggplant, some raw kohlrabi.
    D: will be oven baked chicken thighs with SOG BBQ sauce and a BAS later.

Yes.

65 min walk through the park. Tried out a few minutes of running in the VFFs (slowly), felt pretty good. Think I'm getting used to the forefoot strike with reasonable comfort.

4. Lift heavy things.

Planned for tomorrow.

No.

6. Get adequate sleep.

7+ hours. Feeling tired this afternoon.

7. Play.

I really enjoyed my walk this morning, so will consider that my play. And I bought my food processor, so that's fun too.

Some, but quite cool today. 5000 IU Vit D.

If I stay away from mindless snacking, it will be yes.

10. Use your brain.
    More listening to paleolithic solution podcast while walking.

Looking forward to trying out the food processor this week, probably won't be for a few days. Been prepping meals ahead as hubby is away and I have a very busy schedule of kid stuff every evening. Leftover ribs and chicken on the menu for the next couple of days with whatever veg looks appealing at the time. I think I bought too much stuff at the farmers' market this week, it all looked so good! And I forgot that hubby is away for a few days. I did cancel my weekly organic delivery, not worth the cost for what I'm getting at the moment, and I can get tons of fresh local (and even organic) stuff at the market until October. Also found a farmer who runs a small CSA which I might try out next year.

Suse is offline Senior Member
    The food processor is the fastest way of prepping your cauliflower rice! Have fun.

Suse is offline Senior Member
    oh and PS, also for thin slicing your sweet potatos so that you can make sweet potato chips!! YUM (admittedly a mandolin would be better to get whole slices though but I could never figure mine out so sold it)