Page 15 of 275 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal **Greensprout** page 15

Greensprout is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Virtuous my ass.

Been looking back at the last few months and haven't progressed as much as I had hoped, but there are some obvious themes influencing that. Too much wine and other tasty beverages, too many nuts, too much cheese. Lots of good fats, but think much of the time I overdo it on the quantity of meat/protein (have always loved meat, especially good beef), and probably higher total calories overall. When I do track, which was regular for a while, now only once in a while, I'm usually over 2000 cal, and 60%+ fat, fairly low on the carbs, certainly under 100 g daily. I have no intention of eating only 1200 cal per day, I don't see the need for that, plus I'd not be a happy Greensprout on that either. However, it's time to find my happy place, whatever that is. I've also been extremely slack on pretty much most working out for some months, some due to injury, the rest due to low motivation and not scheduling it in like I have done in the past.

Thinking it might be time to do my own 30 day challenge, I have a pretty good idea of what that should look like, will expand on that later. A good goal for me is going to a family wedding (MIL) on labour day weekend in Sept, saw much of that family last week, they saw how we were eating, and I'd like to show them what some determination can accomplish. Not to 'show off' so much, but maybe help them see some good results that may encourage them to look more into this too. Hubby left our last copy of the PB with his mom, she is interested, but being post heart attack (while only in her 50s) and on statins, she is understandably leery of higher fat, which of course goes completely against what her cardiologist and gp are telling her to do. She is willing to read the book, and bring questions to her next doctor visits, which is a great place to start.

Biggest thing I think for me right now is to get moving more. Past experience tells me that when I do, I feel so much better, sleep better, eat better, consume less alcohol, am less irritable (okay, less bitchy, realistically), more productive, and so on. And of course, look better and feel great about that too.

Now to solidify the plan and choose to commit to it...

Suse is offline Senior Member
    HMMM I hear you! Having a plan and committing to it are 2 separate entities. Good luck on that front. I'll try to encourage you to stick to it...

Re the consuming less alcohol - now of course you and I both love our wine and boozy beverages and life is too short to say no I wont have any, but do you find certain things make you drink more... for instance with me, if my partner and I leave the dinner table straight after eating our dinner, I am about 90% less likely to have another wine. However if we stay at the table chatting, more wine gets drunk. If I dont drink wine while preparing the meal, I also find I drink less with a meal than I would normally. so perhaps it is about finding our triggers and trying to reduce them (as opposed to stopping drinking completely)

Having a goal in mind is really good to aim for as well.

Also just want to say....you are soooooo much better on the primal everything front than I am!!!!

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement, Suse.

I'm feeling very primal today. Grokish? Discovering my inner Grok? (hmmm, that sounds like a title for a personal challenge thread...). Had a 19 hour IF, a couple of cups of black coffee, one herbal fruity tea and a good lot of lemon water. Got home a bit early...hooray for long weekends! Took my new VFFs out for a walk. Sunny day, cranked up the ipod, and headed out around the neighbourhood. Definitely felt odd, tried a few different methods of adjusting my gait to see what seemed comfortable. The shoes themselves are quite comfy. Thought they seemed a bit snug around the top on one foot, but later on they seemed to loosen up and I had to snug up the straps a bit. Walked for just over 30 min, found the grass nicer than the street. Then went through the little park by my house...no kids around, so jumped up on the play structure, managed 3 chinups before needing to assist with jumping up for another 7. 10 box jumps onto a park bench. Another stroll around the park, ran very slowly around the small soccer field twice, which felt nice but my breathing reminded me it's been a while since I've done that. Then 10 more jump assisted pullups, 10 more box jumps, and some pushups on a decline. Did me in, but felt awesome. Now I can feel muscles in my feet and calves that I've never felt before. Not pain, just well used. Tiny hot spot on one heel, should probably ease into the VFFs slowly. Am also second guessing buying the black KSOs instead of the grey (had both in my size), perhaps the grey would not stand out as much...but the store is on the other side of the country, and it really doesn't matter!! If I end up really liking the KSOs, I can always try another colour in the sprints next year. Why should I be concerned how they look on my feet to others??? Shouldn't, but did feel kind of self conscious walking around. Not that there were many people out anyway, so maybe I was the only one who was thinking about it. How silly of me.

And another weirdly primal item...I'm day 3 of no 'poo. Have been reading the 'pooless threads with much interest, but not convinced, though for the last couple of weeks I've used shampoo/conditioner only every second day instead of daily, just rinsing with water inbetween. Today did an ACV rinse. Hair was not the best, not quite greasy but kind of heavy at the roots, and the ends kind of all over the place, granted it was quite humid today, which brings out more of the natural wave and sometimes frizzyness. Going to try the baking soda thing tomorrow. I'll see if I can last through the weekend, and make a decision by Tuesday morning before work if I'll keep it up or pull out the 'poo. Interesting experiment.

Broke the IF with a lovely meatza (kids request). Beef & pork 'crust', topped with tomato sauce, mushrooms, green peppers, tomato, fresh basil, fresh spinach, artichoke hearts and of course, a lot of mozzarella. Quite disappointed when I saw that the artichokes (canned & marinated) are made with soybean oil...ugh. Will have to check the labels next time on the better brands to see if I can get some in olive oil. Guess that's what I can expect from the no name brand, hopefully the imports are more acceptable. Am now having a rum, and will have some wine later, so not so primal, but it's a choice for today. Will settle in later with some downloaded episodes of Hells Kitchen we have to catch up on.

Thinking more about a personal 30 day challenge, still working out the details in my head. Probably won't be truely 100% on the eating, but will incorporate more of the full primal lifestyle stuff. A step in the right direction, so to speak. And since I've already registered for PrimalCon next spring, I'd better get walking the walk a little more seriously!

Good day today, found some lovely produce at the farmers' market. Did about an hour walk in the VFFs, still working on the gait, and ended up with one small blister on the heel where the hot spot from yesterday, despite taping before...the blister appeared just below the tape. Listened to some motivational stuff on the ipod while going through the park, haven't done that for a while. Good dose of Vit D lying in the sun, as it was very hot today, around 30C. Floated around the pool a bit too.

B: coffee with HWC, later one boiled egg with butter, few pecans
    S: couple slices of salami, some cherries with creamed coconut, few almonds and walnuts (over several hours)
    D: good bit of a t-bone steak, caprese salad, grilled asparagus. Berries with HWC later. Couple of rum & diet coke plus a big glass of red wine.

Did the baking soda wash/ACV rinse on the hair. Not bad, took away the greasiness, but still a bit heavy at the roots and slightly fuzzy at the ends, though I didn't use any product or blow dry. Two more days to reassess how this experiment is going.

Calves and legs are sore today from the VFF walking, also the lats from the pullups (and abs from the planks done on Fri). Waking up some muscles not used in a while...need to keep that up.

Oh, I made mayo yesterday for the first time...easy peasy with olive oil, it turned out great consistency and very tasty. Picked my first few cherry tomatoes in my garden, which were great dipped in the mayo.

Woke to heavy rain and thunder today, think it's a good day to focus on inside stuff and a few errands.

AutumnP is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like you've had a few really great days (even if you haven't made as much progress as you had hoped, but as long as it's progress). Farmers' market, walking with the VFFs, good workouts, a successful mayo (!). Major rain in Cowtown last night, too. Enjoy the rest of the weekend.....

Full upper body is sore along with the calves. Abs complained whenever I sneezed or even using the salad spinner! Guess that means I'd better use those lazy muscles again tomorrow, haha.

B/L: steak & eggs with a few mushrooms in butter
    S: just a few macadamia nuts
    D: caesar salad (homemade dressing, plus fresh bacon crumbles), tried a thai green chicken curry over cauliflower rice. Not bad, could have made it spicier. Kids ate it too, but were not huge fans. They are new to curries.

Gave in to a lovely Belgian wheat beer (oops) while prepping dinner. Is still a long weekend, holiday tomorrow.

Found some rosemary essential oil to add to my ACV hair rinse, will see how that goes for next time. Going to work at paring down all my "lotions and potions" (hubby's words)...have found coconut oil a wonderful skin lotion, but have a crapload of conventional stuff that I will use up, and just not buy any more. Tis an evolution.

Now for the next part of the evolution...

My personal 30 day challenge: Discovering my Inner Grok in August.

Goals/plans:

1. Stick to primal foods, but don't overdo it on quantity.
    2. Keep carbs low, closer to 50g daily.
    3. Berries okay a few times a week, no other fruit
    4. Minimize dairy. HWC and butter okay, cheese an occasional treat only.
    5. Nuts only 1-2 servings a week max.
    6. IF 2 x weekly, one x 24 hour, one at least 16 h.
    7. Alcohol on weekends only, in moderation.
    8. Lift heavy things 2-3 x per week.
    8. Walk 3-5 x per week.
    9. Sprint once weekly.
    10. Really break in my VFFs.
    12. Get more sleep.
    13. Play more.
    14. Spend less time on computer (eek).
    15. Determine if I can really go 'pooless (currently day 4).

Whew, sounds like a lot. I was a little hesitant to list this all out, but am thinking it will help me be accountable, if only to myself. It's not 100%, but I want to be realistic. I have a feeling that once I get rolling, I'll give myself more momentum and motivation to do even better.

There. That's it. Start tomorrow, Aug 2.

Suse is offline Senior Member
    Good luck, I'll be following with interest.

August challenge day 1.

Time for a new format, at least for the duration of this month.

1. Eat lots of plants and animals.
    B: coffee with HWC, bacon crumbles (maybe 1-1.5 slices?), 4 small coconut pancakes topped with butter, smashed strawberries, fresh blueberries & HWC. Pretty much mouthgasmic.
    S: small cucumber with homemade mayo
    D: Chinese 5 spice beef & broccoli, cabbage & spinach sauteed in bacon fat & butter. Another cucumber with mayo. Dessert was one square 90% lindt with a generous blob of creamed coconut.
    Also made sun tea with Tazo passion tea mixed with some organic green. Sipping on that through the day.

2. Avoid poisonous things.
    Pretty much.

3. Move frequently at a slow pace.
    Did a 45 min walk in my VFFs. Feeling good, I'm liking these. Feet and outsides of calves feeling it, but in a good way.

4. Lift heavy things.
    While out walking, stopped at the playground for 10 chinups (4 unassisted, 6 jumping up assisted), 10 box jumps on a bench, 50 walking lunges. Did 3 sets of 5 full proper form pushups (chest nearly to ground) when I got home. Feeling this now, especially in the legs, and still a bit in the core. That's good.

5. Sprint once in a while.
    Not today.

6. Get adequate sleep.
    9 hours last night, more than normal. Still weekend mode, up late but slept in.

7. Play.
    Does really enjoying the VFF walk and playground workout count? Or 45 min of weeding the garden? Or playing around in the kitchen with primal recipies?

8. Get adequate sunlight.
    Check. The walk, weeding, a bit of sunbathing and then floating around in the pool. Wait, the pool counts as play, right??

9. Avoid stupid mistakes.
    So far so good.

10. Use your brain.
    Playing with recipies. Also downloaded the Paleolithic Solution podcasts by Robb Wolf. Listened to the first 2 episodes while outside.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    August challenge day 2.

1. Eat lots of plants and animals.

B: coffee with HWC, 2 eggs scrambled in butter and HWC, last bit of leftover steak & mushrooms, 2 small coconut pancakes with butter under the eggs.
    L: not hungry after the huge breakfast. Yerba mate tea.
    D: Some raw cuke with mayo while prepping, then PB cookbook's Italian slow cooker pot roast (nom nom nom), roasted beets and asparagus. Stuffed.
    Might make a chocolate blueberry clafouti in a bit. Also made some SOG BBQ sauce for tomorrow's chicken.
    Daily omega 3 fish oils and multivitamin.

Have to add that last night did have a vodka, and maybe 1/4 cup macadamia nuts. Was then end of the long weekend...No more drinks for the week.

2. Avoid poisonous things.
    Good there.

3. Move frequently at a slow pace.
    Just at work. Nothing much. Too full and tired at the moment to go out.

4. Lift heavy things.
    Nope.

5. Sprint once in a while.
    Nada. Planning on this later in the week.

6. Get adequate sleep.
    Only 6 or so hours, not a great sleep. Did get up a bit early though with plans for my big breakfast, which was great. Tired tonight, so maybe an early tuck in?

7. Play.
    Not so far. Perhaps later if hubby and I turn in around the same time?!

8. Get adequate sunlight.
    Not much on work days. 5000IU Vit D.

9. Avoid stupid mistakes.
    Check.

10. Use your brain.
    Only at work, and not so much there today.

Did an egg yolk wash of my hair today followed by rinse of ACV with rosemary essential oil. Got rid of the oiliness, soft and lots of body. Interesting. Today is day 6 'pooless. Planning to continue through the week and see what happens.

If I get to sleep at a decent hour, I might even plan to get up and pull out the VFFs for a walk before work. Haven't done that in ages. Is a challenge for me when I have to leave for work by 7am.

Good day foodwise, rest of the stuff, meh.