Page 147 of 270 FirstFirst ... 4797137145146147148149157197247 ... LastLast
Results 1,461 to 1,470 of 2697

Thread: Primal Journal **Greensprout** page 147

Greensprout is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I didn't quite manage bed at 11, but lights were out at 1130, I can live with that. 7 hours of sleep, didn't want to get up but felt good once I did.

Work got very busy, no time to walk, and a very quick dash home to change and get son #2 to driving lesson again. Came back, ate, tidied up, watered my garden, then back to pick him up, and he wanted some more practice with the stickshift. He's been very pleasant to be around the past few days, I told him so last night. Not so moody, conversational, less prodding to get him to do stuff around home. What's up with that? I'll take it, regardless. By the time we were home, I had to address a few work emails (yes, the on call thing), and decided I was done with activity for the day.

Eats:
    black coffee
    green tea
    L: BAS with steak & chimichurri for dressing
    D: 2 over easy eggs (yay for more double yolks) in ghee with the last 8 oz of steak.
    1 tbsp of ice cream
    a good half cup of rhubarb berry sauce (no yogurt today) with toasted coconut.
    later a few (1/4 c) of candied pecans
    iced herbal tea (pear, raspberry, mint, lemongrass).

I'm tired, may stretch or foam roll, then definitely off for an earlier bed tonight. 11 for sure. Going to be busy tomorrow all day, I expect, then more drivers ed so have to finish up and not stay late.

7 hours of sleep. Not bad, but still working on that deficit. Glad there's a long weekend ahead, and we decided to take Tues off as well, so a mini 4 day "vacation". I managed to get my on call covered as well, so no pager/BB monitoring either, hooray. I did have a voicemail that the ER has shifts available all weekend, thinking about taking one. If I can get Sunday (Canada Day stat holiday), it would be time and a half, which is even better. We have no specific plans, just relax around home.

I've been fasting today, not specifically planned, just didn't bother taking food to work with me (aside from a cup and a half of chicken bone broth, which would have minimal impact on the fast, I suspect). As I still haven't eaten, and am pretty much at 24 hours, I'm considering continuing into tomorrow. The recent fasting thread has provided some interesting reading, which has me intrigued. The longest I've fasted previously has been about 27 hours (planned for 24 but dinner ended up being late), which was no big deal. Of course, I'm feeling hungry right now, though the level hasn't really changed in the past few hours, sort of waxes and wanes here and there. And I don't like the idea of going to bed hungry. When I was new to fasting (Eat Stop Eat, pre-primal), I had a crappy sleep when I tried an earlier dinner then IF till the next day's dinner. Still undecided. Either I'll fix myself some food, or I will hold out. I didn't cook tonight, as there are leftover things for the boys, and hubby's away. From what I've read about others' experiences with longer fasts, they may be hungry at the first bedtime, but it has passed by the the time they wake the next day at 36(ish) hours. We'll see. I should be able to leave work early tomorrow pre holiday weekend, though I won't be handing over the on call till about 7. So I could eat in the afternoon at home if I'm still going then and can't wait till dinner (around 48 hrs). I suppose I'm overthinking this.

Walked for lunch, sunny, hot & breezy. An hour, and took a different route near the park, wandered through a lovely riverside residential area and through a couple of nice grassy shaded parks. Remembered to do the glute squeezing. On impulse, I threw in 2 rounds of sprints, which felt great on the thick grass with the VFFs. Could have done more, but I had to turn around and return to cubicle land. My legs are feeling heavy now, a combination of the sprint and squeezing .

Eats:
    haha, only black coffee, coconut oolong tea, water, 1 1/2 cups chicken bone broth post walk, iced tea (a blend of black & green loose tea with apple pieces, hibiscus, papaya bits & orange peel).

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    Hi Greensprout! I've been absent from MDA for a few days. Now I'm trying to catch up.
    How's your Husband's aunt?
    How's your knee?
    The sweet and tart rhubarb and berry sauce sounds awesome! So does the potato soup!

Quote Originally Posted by Greensprout View Post
    Up far too late last night, son #2 had friends over (including <gasp> several girls), there was a bit of coming and going rather late, so I thought it prudent to keep an eye on things so to speak. They were hanging out downstairs in the mancave. All was well, and the kid seemed to be acting rather responsibly, which was nice to see.
    Oh no! Not girls!

Worked on remembering the medial glute squeeze from Esther Gokhale's teachings, and I am feeling it now. I think it's a good sore. Hope so, anyway.
    That reminds me, I should finish reading her book...

He's been very pleasant to be around the past few days, I told him so last night. Not so moody, conversational, less prodding to get him to do stuff around home. What's up with that? I'll take it, regardless.
    Good

7 hours of sleep. Not bad, but still working on that deficit. Glad there's a long weekend ahead, and we decided to take Tues off as well, so a mini 4 day "vacation".
    Enjoy it!

I've been fasting today, not specifically planned, just didn't bother taking food to work with me (aside from a cup and a half of chicken bone broth, which would have minimal impact on the fast, I suspect). As I still haven't eaten, and am pretty much at 24 hours, I'm considering continuing into tomorrow. The recent fasting thread has provided some interesting reading, which has me intrigued.
    Did you continue the fast?
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

W&C;
    hubby's aunt is doing pretty well, recovering faster than the drs thought. Started physio already and has been up with a walker. Thanks for asking. My knee was fine the next day, had come back a tad sore a bit since, but not much, and always goes away.

As for the fast, the hunger mostly passed later in the evening, so I chose to go to bed empty. I actually wasn't hungry when I lay down, more of a "I could eat if there was something good in front of me" sort of thing, not "I need to eat". Took a while to fall asleep, which is unusual, odd dreams, but not bad overall. In the morning after 7 1/2 hours of sleep (now that's a bit better), it was just the usual morning sort of slightly hungry, which mostly went after coffee. I had a few moments of feeling a tad lightheaded late morning, twice I had a half tsp of coconut oil and a smidge of himalayan sea salt.

Total fasting was 42 hours, which I never really imagined I could do. It really wasn't that bad. I chose to end mid afternoon as we were let off work early, I was still on call, and had stuff to do which involved driving, and I was feeling slightly fuzzy headed. 3 jumbo eggs scrambled in butter, which left me feeling very full (2 might have been a better idea?). It's now 3 1/2 hours past breaking fast, I'm having a mix of feeling sort of full and sort of hungry, if that makes any sense. Dinner won't be for a few hours, I have NZ (or were they Australian?) lamb chops marinating in evoo/lemon juice/lemon zest/garlic/fresh rosemary, thyme & oregano from my garden. I think sweet potato and asparagus will be a good accompaniment.

All day today I've been feeling "lighter" around the belly and hips, if that makes any sense. Just an odd subjective feeling, hard to describe. Certainly the belly seems a bit flatter. I'm definitely in ketosis, which is rare for me, and the associated dry mouth despite lots of fluids is annoying. I don't really expect keeping ketosis through the long weekend, but we'll see.

Overall, an interesting experiment, and perhaps better started unplanned, as the idea seemed impossible. I'll go back to doing some 24hr IFs here and there, and maybe throw in another long one like this if it feels right. We'll see if there are any lasting results or not.

9 hours of sleep. A very good thing. I went to bed at 1230, which is pretty good for me on a weekend. Decided I was done.

Farmers market finds: jumbo eggs, grass fed ground beef, pastured ground lamb, kale, radishes, garlic scapes, rhubarb, kohlrabi, local strawberries. I love how there's more stuff every week, as the season progresses. Here, it's still pretty early, but the variety is increasing. Grocery store for the rest of the stuff needed was less exciting. Annoying, actually, as the lines were long and the credit and debit machines weren't working.

Excellent long weekend weather. 29C. I got out walking for 70 min, the pace was I think slower than usual, just felt like the right pace to be going, which is fine. Then floating around in the pool for a while. The bikini doesn't look too bad, after all. Not as good as it could be (and has been), but not bad at all.

I'm out of ketosis, no surprise, as I had wine last night with and after dinner. Yet the scale is down a couple of lbs from earlier in the week. We'll see if it stays that way. Maybe the long fast did some good.

I did get a shift in the ER for tomorrow, 12 hours at time and a half. Yes, it is supposed to be +30 and gorgeous, but the money can go toward having fun in Vegas (planning a week in late Sep), and I still have 2 more days off after tomorrow. Hubby has agreed to grill some chicken and veggies for when I get home from work.

Eats:
    black coffee
    few cherries, 3 strawberries, slice of hot genoa salami
    hard dry apple cider on the deck
    Dinner up soon, grilling rib steaks, accompanied by a caprese salad (local tomatoes, basil from my garden) and a green salad.

Just over 6 hours of sleep, I stayed up till 12, later than planned. No surprise there. The ER shift was decent, not too crazy, and I suppose I can count as movement the 12 hours on my feet . Hubby had dinner on the BBQ when I got home at 8, had to give a ride out to son #2, #1 is at work. I'm happy with chilling at home and not heading out to any Canada Day celebrations, as my feet and legs are done in for today! And out our second story window, we can see the fireworks going on downtown that should be starting shortly. It's still light until after 1030 this time of year here.

Eats:
    black coffee
    L: salad with 2 lamb chops
    green tea
    D: grilled chicken breast (with skin, of course), grilled peppers/mushrooms/eggplant, several goat cheese stuffed jalapenos, grilled of course
    Couple of rum & zevia
    pepperoni stick

I don't think I'll be up too late tonight. Planning to hang around the backyard tomorrow and in the pool. Hopefully the forecast chance of thunderstorms will hold off, still expected to be 30C the next 2 days, which I intend to enjoy thoroughly.

9 hours of sleep, I needed it.

It was supremely hot and humid today, humidex hovering around 40C. Very overcast and threatening to storm, so puttered around the house, unproductively. It was too muggy to walk, I considered going to the gym to lift, and suddenly the sun came out. Of course, my response was to don the bikini and float around the pool for a good long time . Ours is salt water, and I'm always impressed how curly my hair is after a good dunking in it. Dunno why it does that, but impressive, nonetheless.

Following the 42 hour fast this week, I seem to be down 2-3 lbs. Perhaps there's something to this idea. I think I'll aim to throw in a 24 hour here and there, and perhaps try up to 48 again in a week or so, next time hubby's out of town. I've also noticed in the last week that my upper body (shoulders & arms) seem to be starting to lean out a bit. I suspect the few days of LHT combined with the increased walking is showing there. Motivation to continue moving more.

Eats:
    1pm: over easy eggs with leftover steak & mushrooms
    230: cherries
    730: 2 grass fed beef/pastured lamb burgers topped with goat cheese & avocado, green salad. Tasty vinaigrette of avocado oil, acv, lemon juice, dijon, lemon basil, salt & pepper. A lovely pale green colour.
    couple of cider, rum & zevia
    pepperoni stick.

I'm happy we took tomorrow off too. More hot & sunny on the way. I think I"ll watch a movie tonight.

A lovely sunny and hot day off. Almost 9 hours of sleep. I stayed up a bit late watching "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo". Captured the essence of the book, but of course, the book is much better.

Out for an hour in the heat this morning, 20 min walk/21 min slow run/20 min walk. The pace was easy, and despite the heat, it felt good. Unfortunately, a spot on one of my VFFs (KSOs that I've had nearly 2 years) on a seam started rubbing, so I have a nice raw area on one foot. Anyway, now my legs are feeling very heavy!

Browsed a couple of asian markets today. I picked up purple sweet potatoes, and made the potato salad from Saturday's MDA recipe. Very good indeed. The small jalapeno I used wasn't very hot, I could see more heat being great here. I also added the pickle and fresh chives from my yard. Also at the market, I found dried sweet potato noodles for cheap, so picked some up to try. Not sure what I'll use them in, but am sure to come up with something. I also made mayo today for the first time in probably a year. It was also from the Sat MDA recipe, and turned out very nice, using "extra light tasting" olive oil. Must try out some baconnaise one of these days, I have several jars of saved bacon fat.

Eats:
    black coffee
    2 pepperoni sticks
    D: 1 1/2 gluten free local german smokies with grainy dijon, sauerkraut and purple sweet potato salad.

Over dinner, I was telling hubby and son #2 about some of the weird things in the asian market. The conversation turned to bacon, son commented that "everything's better wrapped in bacon". I mentioned how a while back I'd made bacon wrapped chicken livers. His face turned to disgust, and said "that's so wrong...as bad as bacon wrapped babies".... HAHAHAHAHA.

Awoke after a less than ideal 6 and a smidge hours of sleep to nearly black, ominous looking skies with thick, heavy air. Half of the day was filled with thunder, lightning and downpours. I was at work, so no big deal, and the plants needed it. I brought my lunch to the obligatory Wed lunch at the mess, far more satisfying than the available sandwich bar fare.

I considered either a yoga class or walk, but got caught up in stuff after work and didn't get there. An "emergency" run to the pharmacy for anti itch stuff for son #2s mosquito bites, plus taking said son out for driving practice were part of the deal. And laundry, how exciting.

My tomato plants are exploding with the recent heat, full of flowers and I've spotted a few tiny buds of impending fruits. The basil is also exploding, I can see some pesto in my future. Plus lots of caprese salads.

Eats:
    black coffee
    coconut oolong tea
    L: chicken salad (breast meat, diced cucumber & radish with homemade mayo) stuffed into green bell pepper halves
    after work: pepperoni stick, 6 or 8 almonds
    D: green salad topped with sliced grilled sirloin
    tsp of raw local honey, closer to a tbsp of nutella
    a vodka soda with lime

I think it's bedtime. Last night's lack of sleep led to the drowsies late afternoon today.

Thursday I threw a bunch of stuff in the slowcooker for a stew, which turned out okay, but nothing exciting. Bison & lamb, rutabega, onion, a sweet potato, carrot, celery, beef stock, various herbs & spices. And out for a good hour+ walk over lunch. Also made more rhubarb berry sauce, this time with strawberries, as that's what I had. Ate some with whipped coconut cream flavoured with cocoa and a touch of stevia.

Friday I ate the stew brought for lunch at 930, as the hungries seemed to set in at that time. Off to the gym at the end of work to lift some heavy stuff, and I'm still feeling the squats 2 days later. Only 65 lb barbell for 3 sets, but nice and low, gotta keep doing that stuff. Arms were feeling noodle like on the drive home, after dumbell shoulder presses and assisted pullups. No real dinner, just odds & ends, pepperoni sticks, goat cheese on rice crackers, fruit sauce with coconut cream, a few slices of bacon that hubby cooked up. A few rum & zevia.

Saturday...sleep in for 9 hours, farmers' market, grocery store, the usual. I took an hour walk in the heat late afternoon, which was great. Eats consisted of 3 soft boiled eggs with coffee for "brunch", a pepperoni stick later, then a late dinner of a huge grilled rib steak (yes, I ate the whole thing), sauteed mushrooms, very fresh caprese salad. 2 hard ciders and a shared bottle of malbec.

Another hot & sunny day today. I went walking for 90 min, listening to the podcasts for the Real Food Summit, hosted by Underground Wellness dude, Sean Croxton.. 8 days of speakers posted daily on all kinds of good stuff. I'd recommend it if you have the time. Real Food Summit.

Floated around the pool after walking. I'm getting some nice colour. And no sunscreen thus far this year. I don't think I used it at all last year, either. Tonight, a few areas look a tad pinkish, but feel just fine, and I slathered all in coconut oil post shower.

Today's eats:
    black coffee
    coconut water post walk
    6 slices of hot genoa salami wrapped around gouda & parmesan, bunch of lovely cherries
    D: BAS with 3 grilled chicken thighs smothered in SOB BBQ sauce, which I amped up with chipotle chili powder. I'm stuffed
    2 hard ciders.

I'm doing good on the keeping moving side of things. If I can keep that up, and work on dialing in the sleep during the week, things can only continue to improve.