Page 146 of 272 FirstFirst ... 4696136144145146147148156196246 ... LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,460 of 2716

Thread: Primal Journal **Greensprout** page 146

Greensprout is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Learned today that hubby's aunt, just slightly older than him, had a serious stroke last night. She's 48 or 49. Thrombolytics (clot busting meds) didn't work, and her brain was swelling today, so this evening she's into surgery to open the skull and relieve the pressure. Neurosurgeon told my mother in law that whatever damage has been done by stroke and swelling will be likely permanent, surgical intervention is to prevent further damage. She has a 14 year old son.

I wish we were closer. They're in Montreal. I emailed mom in law what she might expect post surgery, as I've worked with a lot of neurosurgical patients in the ICU previously. Maybe she'll find it helpful.

Triangle of death to both of you idiot spammers.

Surprise, surprise, I went to the gym today. Yes, indeed. Been far too long. I went to the small base gym beside my building, the womens' locker room had been closed for nearly a month while they fixed the floors and walls. Got there close to 130, and there was ONE other person in the weight room (and later one more). Had no plan, but did some assisted pullups, 3 sets of squats (45, 55, 55 lbs), bench press (20, 25, 25 lb dumbells), low pulley rows (60 lbs), OHP (15 lb dumbells), planks, leg raises. And about 30 min on the treadmill briskly walking (was drizzly outside, no surprise there). It felt good. I fully expect to really feel it (not so good!) tomorrow. Must do again.

Another fast till dinner. Not intending to make this a regular thing, just working at switching up things a bit. In the past, IF worked well for me.

black coffee
    green & white teas
    iced herbal apple/cranberry tea
    leftover pork & chicken, BAS with greens, shredded jicama, grape tomatoes, queso fresco cheese, lime avocado dressing, some diced pickled jalapenos on top. VERY nice.
    bowl of blue & strawberries with cream.

Hubby & I were going to go to the big fair/exhibition this evening, but didn't as it was supposed to rain all evening. Guess what? No rain. Ah well. I'm feeling rather tired anyway. Doing laundry instead.

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Greensprout View Post
    On the weekend, I picked a lovely bouquet of pale pink peonies with some purple tall flowery things for filler. While arranging them in the kitchen, I discovered a very nasty looking large albino looking spider.
    Interesting...

It was all white with a red splash across the body, not pleasant at all!! Managed to knock it into the sink and rinse down, amid the shrieking from both me and son #1.
    Hehehe

Learned today that hubby's aunt, just slightly older than him, had a serious stroke last night. She's 48 or 49.
    That sucks
    I hope she's going to be ok.

Hubby & I were going to go to the big fair/exhibition this evening, but didn't as it was supposed to rain all evening. Guess what? No rain. Ah well. I'm feeling rather tired anyway. Doing laundry instead.
    Fair/exhibition - laundry
    what to choose, what to choose
    (I would have chosen differently)
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Hubby's aunt did well in surgery, but the extent of damage from the stroke can't be fully assessed until she's off sedation. So far they don't "think" her speech will be affected, but is very weak on her left side. She'll need extensive rehab once ready to leave the hospital, it's going to be a very long road ahead if things go well.

6 1/2 hours of sleep. I had a nagging headache all day, probably not helped by not eating either. I came home an hour early, had a few bites of food, and crawled into bed for 2 hours. Slept on and off, still not completely headache free, but not feeling as off. I had planned on a walk at lunch, but wasn't up to it, and it wasn't even raining (of course it did for a while this evening), whatever.

Eats:
    black coffee
    white tea
    tsp of coconut oil, 2 werthers caramels midday (felt I was needing something, was all that was there at work)
    315: few slices pork chop, 2 tbsp cream cheese, 8 almonds
    730: hot wings with avocado lime dressing/dip
    one plum, one nectarine

First full day of summer. That means here, it's light until about 1030 pm. Good for doing stuff, not so good for getting into sleep mode early. And getting light around 430 am. And in the same vein, sleep is impacted by the boys now being on summer vacation, going out late, while we still have to get to bed to be up for work early. Still working on this stuff.

The headache was still lingering on and off today, but not so bad. Out for lunch at work, for a farewell luncheon for several people who are leaving us in the next month. Bad service, ho hum foods. My sweet potato fries were underdone and luke warm, thought the burger was good. Must have been high in sodium as I've been thirsty ever since.

Eats:
    black coffee
    coconut oolong tea
    L: bunless sirloin bacon cheeseburger, sweet potato fries
    green tea
    D: 3 eggs (2 were double yolk) over easy, uncured bacon (aka crispy sliced pork belly)
    nectarine
    2 glasses wine

Feeling a bit stiff from the workout 2 days ago, but not so bad. I really need to attempt a yoga class again. And walk. And move more in general. At least the weekend is not expected to be rainy like most of the last month. Thusly, the weekend plan includes some movement daily plus a jaunt to the farmers' market on Saturday. And some one on one time with hubby. He's been traveling every week, and we haven't connected much in the last few weeks.

7 hours of sleep. Still obviously lacking, as the snooze was used a few many times this morning and I got up a bit late. Felt alright once I got going, however.

Success in the get off my ass department. Worked through lunch, then went out walking to the park in the sunshine. 25 min walk/22 min slow run/25 min walk. It felt really good to get out. It's a decent start, will keep it up over the weekend.

black coffee
    green and a nut/berry herbal blend teas
    2 slices of crispy pork belly around 5 pm, plus a spoonful of coconut butter
    soon will be onto grilled steak, grilled asparagus, sauteed mushrooms and a bottle of rich red with hubby. Maybe some berries & cream later if I need something sweet

Up far too late last night, son #2 had friends over (including <gasp> several girls), there was a bit of coming and going rather late, so I thought it prudent to keep an eye on things so to speak. They were hanging out downstairs in the mancave. All was well, and the kid seemed to be acting rather responsibly, which was nice to see.

Around 7 hours of sleep in the end, as I wanted to enjoy the lovely day. Great farmers' market finds: grass fed ground beef, a pastured pork shoulder roast, kale, lettuces, scallions, shallots, tomatoes, herbs, and a jar of pickled beets. A grocery store stop for basics on the way back.

I had an on and off headache again today, but this one was no doubt due to a few drinks last night followed by less than an ideal amount of sleep. I kept putting off getting out for a walk, and finally talked myself into it close to 6. Enjoyed a great walk to the park with a Robb Wolf podcast (finally up to late Feb of this year). A bit over an hour, and whaddya know, the headache was gone by the time I returned.

Eats:
    black coffee
    few raspberries
    4 slices of hot genoa salami wrapped around 2 pieces of queso fresco cheese
    3 eggs (all double yolk, booya ) scrambled in ghee with cheddar
    few candied pecans <and why did I pick these up today??>
    a NorCal margarita
    Dinner will be sometime soon, I have jumbo scallops thawed, probably will have with a salad. Not feeling that hungry, so a light meal sounds just fine.

Another late night due to more kids being over and up VERY late. Managed 8 hours of sleep. Had our bottle of bubbles in the hot tub, but that ended up on a sour note. We were having a discussion, he had a strong opinion on it, mine was different. We agreed on the general idea, but he sometimes doesn't like to see that other perspectives are just as valid (ie - mine). So he got all grumpy and wandered off to his own space. And stayed that way till mid day today. Men. .

I went out walking for an hour and a quarter around noon in the sun, which was very enjoyable. More Robb Wolf podcasts. I have some nice colour on my shoulders and arms. Unfortunately, my right knee is feeling quite stiff and sore on the lateral side. This is the knee that had the medial partial meniscetomy 3 years ago. I may ice it in a bit. Definitely irritated by the walk, which is rather annoying. A bottle of coconut water post walk was refreshing. I had some yesterday too. Found a few bottles from last summer shoved into the back of the pantry that have an approaching "best before" date, so figured I'd better use them up. There are more, but a different brand, canned, that doesn't seem to have an expiry.

I had planned on spending more time outside today, but ended up doing a lot of kitchen activity instead. I made Sweet & Tart Rhubarb and Berry Dessert Sauce | Mark&#039;s Daily Apple and included strawberries, and it's complete awesomeness. Spooned over greek yogurt and topped with toasted coconut flakes, it was heavenly. I also made a fantastic huge pot of potato soup (beef, beef stock, onion, carrot, celery, potato, green peas, green beans, thyme, dill, cream, salt & black pepper). Thick and creamy, yes, it's carb heavy, but a great treat. The boys love it, so I make it once in a while. Son #2's friends gobbled it up. I suspect they may not get much for homemade soups at home . I threw together a lovely veggie salad to go with the soup: cucumber, celery, local tomatoes, avocado, queso fresco cheese cubes, olive oil, fresh lime juice, salt & black pepper. I ate 2 bowls full of that. Omnomnom.

Though a bit carby and maybe low on the protein, it beats the "I'm up too late and I'm annoyed" eating of last night: more candied pecans on top of skor ice cream and some potato chips. Bah. At least it wasn't huge portions. I think my fruit topping/yogurt/coconut was better.

Son #1 spent the afternoon doing a team building thing for his work, a sort of "amazing race" team thing, that had them scooting around the city on buses finding clues. They ended up with a pig roast. He dashed home to pick up his work clothes, revealing that his team had come in second. Unfortunately, he didn't bring poor old mom home any crispy pork skin, the silly child . He said it was a lot of fun.

7 hours of sleep. Again, sluggish getting up, but fine once I got moving.

My upper body has recovered from last week's return to lifting, but the lower half is feeling rather stiff with the return to long walks. Stretching is in order, which I don't do often enough. I did pull out the foam roller the last couple of days for the hips and glutes, which was a good thing.

Had to run home to get son #2 to a meeting at school about his next year's classes. Things seem to be on track, here's hoping he has a better year and actually goes to class more often. This took my lunch hour, so no gym then, but I did fit in a quick lifting session at the end of the day. Assorted squats & lunges, bench press, OHP, assisted pullups, low pulley rows and planks. Felt less energetic than the last session. I'm aiming for a walk tomorrow, and it's going to be hot and sunny, awesome for mood and vitamin D therapy.

I'm still regularly taking Vit D and O3s, but adjust the dosage depending on sun exposure and quality of foods eaten that day. Ideally, I'd get plenty of daily sun and proper O3/O6 content from foods alone, but alas, my world is not ideal. I'll aim for the best and supplement when I feel I need. I've mostly cut out a multivitamin, and use a probiotic when the belly seems in need.

Eats:
    black coffee
    9am: 3 HB eggs, the last of the veggie salad, perhaps 1 cup
    5pm: tsp of coconut oil. Was feeling very hungry, but didn't want to snack before dinner was ready
    630: taco style salad: lettuce, tomato, cuke, radish, red & green sweet peppers, scallion, ground beef, salsa, cheddar, sour cream.
    730: greek yogurt with rhubarb berry sauce & toasted coconut.

Heavier on the dairy the past couple of days than I have been for ages. Tonight, soon after the yogurt, I had a lot of belly gurgling and a quick somewhat explosive trip to the bathroom. Related to the yogurt? Coincidence? Then again, this also happened this morning at work, I think it was before I ate, but don't actually recall. No upset belly either time, just rumbling and urgency. Maybe I'd better take a probiotic tonight. Something was obviously a bit off.

6 1/2 hours of sleep. I will not stay up till midnight again tonight! Plan is head to pillow by 11pm. which gives me 36 min to bedtime.

A good hour and a bit walk to the park at lunch, it really breaks up the day sitting in a cubicle at my desk with no natural light. Worked on remembering the medial glute squeeze from Esther Gokhale's teachings, and I am feeling it now. I think it's a good sore. Hope so, anyway.

Thought I might get in a yoga class this evening, but son #2 wanted to go out driving practice before his first official in car lesson for driver's ed, so was late getting supper on and I had just eaten before taking him to the lesson, would have had to rush to the class on a full belly (I was really ready for dinner by the time it was ready), and that's not a good way to start a relaxing yoga session. Maybe I can fit it in tomorrow, as I don't think I'll get the walk in during the day. I've skipped out on the work Wed group lunch at the Officers' mess for a while, so should do that tomorrow if I can get out at all. Will pack my own meal to bring along , rather than paying $7 for the marginal sandwich bar meal, ewww.

My glutes and hips are very still again (or is that still?). Did some decent stretching after the walk, need the foam roller again before bed. The yoga will really help once I get there. Of course, I have a yoga app on my iPhone that I never use, hmmm.

Eats:
    black coffee
    green tea
    L: BAS with a tin of salmon, lettuce, tomato, cuke, radish, scallion, red & green peppers, evoo + acv, one HB egg
    D: grilled asparagus, grilled sirloin (maybe 8 oz or so) both topped with fresh made chimichurri. Oh yeah.
    greek yogurt with rhubarb berry sauce & toasted coconut
    some candied pecans (yeah, probably about half a cup). Felt over full after having them.
    small bottle of kombucha.