Page 144 of 278 FirstFirst ... 4494134142143144145146154194244 ... LastLast
Results 1,431 to 1,440 of 2780

Thread: Primal Journal **Greensprout** page 144

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Greensprout View Post
    I don't expect I'll be feeling quite as okay in my bikinis this month as last summer, but I'm working on that. Bah.
    That bikini isn't going to fit any better if I don't get my ass moving more.

Hey Suse, you're very welcome back here. We've missed you too. Baby steps work for the road back, you know. And yes, winencandy & I toasted a glass of wine in your honor when we met up back in March .
    I miss you too Suse! And yes we did!

On the lookout for cilantro, italian parsley and basil.
    Oohh cilantro! I've not tried growing that yet.
    I've got green and purple basil, rosemary and dill planted, and I bought a Steevia plant the other day. Now I'l have to look for cilantro!
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member
    Is cilantro the same as coriander? I'm a hopeless cook, really - I have a taste for bland food. Enjoying catching up with everyone today, and reading back through the journals (although I should be working )
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

Greensprout is online now Senior Member
    I had to look that up Jac, cilantro is the leafy plant, coriander is the dried seed of the same plant. Cilantro + italian flat leaf parlsey + garlic + evoo (and maybe something else I forget...) = awesome chimichurri sauce. Learned that last year. I had both in my garden and it was rather nice to wander out the back door, pick some leafy stuff, and have a fabulous sauce in minutes with the food processor.

Today I found rosemary (how could I have forgotten that on yesterday's list??), oregano, basil and lemon basil (a new find, it smells delicious, I could see it added by the whole tiny leaf to a salad of greens, or perhaps in a marinade for lamb?). Of course, I didn't plant them. By the time the hunt was over, it was well past 7, and I still hadn't tidied the mess up in the kitchen (boys. ). So perhaps tomorrow? Today was +26C, tomorrow forecast to be +31. Yay

The lunch out was nice, my app of smoked salmon with capers, red onion, creme fraishe and home made yukon gold potato chips was fantastic, but the special of the chef's salad was disappointing. I had expected better. That kind of filled me up, so didn't end up grilling the steaks till nearly 8, some sirloin and mushrooms was all I needed. Then the boys wanted the ice cream maker trialed. After much searching, and not intending to do the standard custard base that requires several hours of chilling before hitting the machine, I settled on a simple heavy cream/sugar (1/4 cup for 2 cups cream) / vanilla. It was quite nice. I'd prefer less sweet, but this was for the boys. Son #2 added peanut butter and chocolate chips to his. Not a bad first attempt.

Eats:
    black coffee
    1pm: the smoked salmon & chef's salad
    8pm: grilled sirloin with sauteed mushrooms
    something like 1/3 cup of homemade vanilla ice cream. Pretty much had to fight to get that much with 3 large manchildren in the house tonight
    wine.

I had several hours today where I was going to be sent on a quick work trip to England next week, but alas, it was determined that a flight nurse would not be needed for this meeting. Kind of disappointed, but then again, the weather will be much better here, hubby will be home instead of on the road, and there's no jet lag involved. It would have been really condensed, with travel there on Mon and return on Thurs. Ah well. Maybe I can get the gardening done

edit: my bison bone broth was halted preemptively. I had intended on simmering till this afternoon, but woke to find the power had gone out for a bit overnight, so it had been done simmering for several hours when I got up. Still hot, but I decided it would take too long for the pot to get it going again. Apparently a curious raccoon had fried itself in a power station, and caused a power outage across the whole south and west of the city. Crispy critter indeed.
    Last edited by Greensprout; 06-05-2012 at 10:29 PM.

I really do need more sleep. Only about 6 hours the past 2 nights. One because I ended up in a very interesting, mature conversation with son #1, the other just because I was poking about and then realized it was after 12. Oops.

Change of pace today, took a leave day from the regular job for a "mandatory" educational day for the ER staff. The mandatory part means that we get paid, so that's okay. Of course, snacks were provided...baked goods, candy, fruit juice and cookies. Don't be fooled into thinking health care professionals are into healthy eating. Really. And while fasted, I gave in to sugar.

I got my planter boxes prepped this evening, and planted tomatoes, basil, lemon basil, rosemary, oregano, thyme, lettuces and a couple of cucumber seedlings. Still need my cilantro & italian parlsey, so I left a space for them. It was lovely and hot, so some well needed vitamin D therapy was obtained.

I at sugar coated fruity jujube candies, and an aero milk chocolate bar today. Lovely. . After work 2 pepperoni sticks before gardening. There were leftovers for the boys, so I took out some pork belly for myself, which I haven't had in months. Opening the package with great anticipation to slice it for crispy frying, much to my utter dismay I found that the SKIN HAD BEEN REMOVED. WTF??? Seriously?? What idiot thought it was a good idea to remove my favorite part of the pork belly?? I cooked it and ate it, but definitely disappointed. I might just have to talk to the meat people at that grocery store about it.

Lady Grok is offline Senior Member
    It's so wonderful to be able to go out to the porch (well- in my case) and pluck parts of your dinner off the branches! I never realized how rewarding it is.

Man, I hate work food. It's inevitably bad. I am sure your choices could have been worse! My place always has pizza and sodas.
    With Mark's help, I've conquered depression, acne, rosacea, scale obsession, migraines, and lethargy. Who knows what tomorrow will bring?

http://www.theladygrok.blogspot.com/

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread8215.html

Son #1 has decided he wants to buy a car. It will be his last summer before graduation from high school, and he has a good job, so thinks having his own car now will be the Best. Thing. Ever. He has a few thousand in the bank, we can help with some, but of course, he wants a COOL car, which ups the price. And of course, he will be responsible for all insurance and maintenance costs. Hubby is providing lots of good advice and guidance, which is cool. It will be interesting to see just how this turns out. And of course, then I won't have to share my car anymore, which is Yay for me! That is of course, till son #2 gets his license in the winter.

Uneventful day. Another night of about 6 1/2 hours of sleep. Yeah. Not so good. Tonight will be better. Really. Yesterday's ER education got me missing the occasional shifts. The last time I was there was early January. And my new job actually has me pretty much on call (pager, BB) 24/7, believe it or not, which kind of makes it hard to do a short notice shift as I have to be available to answer stuff if needed. Funnily enough, I had a voicemail when I got home yesterday about available ER shifts this weekend, and was able to arrange to have my call covered for the day, so am booked for a 12 hour shift on Sunday. Good on a clinical professional level, and good for some extra spending money. Coincidentally, one of my fave shops of good quality travel and outdoor clothing is having a 50% off everything in the store on Saturday, so shopping is in my immediate future .

Eats:
    black coffee
    oolong coconut tea
    cashews with cottonseed and/or soybean oil...not so great.
    BAS with greens, steak & mushrooms, basamic vinaigrette.
    gluten free german smokie with grainy dijon & sauerkraut, the remainder of the crispy SKINLESS pork belly.
    wine.

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    I ended up in a very interesting, mature conversation with son #1
    These can be rare when they are teenagers. I'd have stayed up too

I at sugar coated fruity jujube candies, and an aero milk chocolate bar today. Lovely. .
    It happens

Opening the package with great anticipation to slice it for crispy frying, much to my utter dismay I found that the SKIN HAD BEEN REMOVED. WTF??? Seriously?? What idiot thought it was a good idea to remove my favorite part of the pork belly?? I cooked it and ate it, but definitely disappointed. I might just have to talk to the meat people at that grocery store about it.
    I can picture the other customers staring in disbelief as you "talk" to the meat people about taking away your fat

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Grok View Post
    It's so wonderful to be able to go out to the porch (well- in my case) and pluck parts of your dinner off the branches! I never realized how rewarding it is.
    I agree. Most of our garden is WAY out back, but the basil and rosemary (and now stevia) are on the deck.
    note to self: I MUST remember to find cilantro...

Son #1 has decided he wants to buy a car. It will be his last summer before graduation from high school, and he has a good job, so thinks having his own car now will be the Best. Thing. Ever.

It's nice when you don't have to share. We are down to 2 vehicles with 4 drivers
    I miss having a "kid" vehicle.
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Hubby is going out with son #1 tomorrow to look at cars. He already has one in mind, from a kijiji ad, and has been emailing back and forth with the owner. Hubby will also take him to some used car lots so he can see what's out there. As for son #2, I've been reminding him for MONTHS to spend the few minutes to do a simple resume and get out applying for jobs. He says he wants one, but doesn't seem very motivated to act. Sigh.

I'm tired this evening. I had a smidge more sleep last night, closer to 7 hours, but have built up a good deficit, methinks. I crashed for about 45 min before dinner, and had one of those very vivid, disturbing dreams where you know you are in the armchair napping, but the dream is very real, and you CAN'T MOVE and nothing comes out of your mouth when trying to yell/scream in the dream. Those paralysis kinds of naps usually only happen to me when I'm really tired.

B: black coffee
    some dark creme filled chocolates at work
    L: cup of bison bone broth, a smokie & slices of pork chop with sauerkraut
    5pm: one pepperoni stick, couple of raspberries & strawberries
    8pm: bacon & eggs, sweet potato hash.
    Vodka soda with lime.

Aiming for bed by 11 so I can still get 9 hours of sleep and get up early for the farmers' market and get errands done by noon, then still enjoy the rest of the day. Really, the only day off for me this week since taking the ER shift for Sunday.

Son #1 has found "his" car, definitely more expensive than we were thinking, will have to borrow from us and pay back over the next year. He should find out on Monday, there was another person interested who is working at getting the cash. It's a summer driven only 2004 Tiburon, cherry red coupe, leather interior, low milage, big sound system. It would be a mighty fine first car, he's very excited. Of course, he is committing pretty much his next year of paycheques for it, if it goes ahead.

Hit the farmers' market shortly after it started raining. Today's take homes were jumbo eggs (of course), lettuces, and seedlings of cilantro and italian parsley, hooray.

I also made it to that outdoor/travel clothing store where everything was half price. Everything. Good thing I have that ER shift tomorrow, because I spent my share of the earnings! A pair of lightweight pants (royal robbins), a patagonia skirt that can be worn 4 ways (including as a halter top), 2 excellent long sleeve hoodie tunic tops (fig and royal robbin), a north face sweater/coverup and a Lole tank tunic top. Most fantastic. I could have found more, but figured I'd better stop there!! $245 for the lot, I'd never have done that for full price. There was an awesome Lole 3/4 length hooded jacket, but that would have been over $100 by itself even at the sale price. I'm very pleased with my finds .

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Eats:
    black coffee
    4pm: half a pepperoni stick, few berries (blue & strawb)
    530: BAS, 2 lettuce wrapped bison/lamb burgers with cheddar, bacon, tomato, avocado, red onion
    few more berries
    more pepperoni sticks
    wine

Weird thunderstorm this evening, complete with hail for a bit. And blue sky to the north the whole while in the downpour.

Time for bed.