Page 143 of 274 FirstFirst ... 4393133141142143144145153193243 ... LastLast
Results 1,421 to 1,430 of 2737

Thread: Primal Journal **Greensprout** page 143

Greensprout is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    6.5 hours of sleep last night. Could have been worse. Should be better.

Not particularly productive today, but finally got the winter tires changed over. I had to replace one as last fall just as we were ready to change over to winters son #1 (a newly licensed driver) hit a curb and destroyed one summer tire. I left the winters on for my road trip, and finally got in to get the new tire and them all changed.

Eats:
    B: black coffee
    assorted green teas, plus a lovely loose leaf coconut oolong
    D: 2 bison/lamb burgers, lettuce wrapped. One topped with avocado, goat cheese & red onion, the other with cheddar, avocado, red onion & salsa. Spinach salad with strawberries & red onion, strawberry vinaigrette.
    one of curlygirl's chocolate muffin things (1/2 a banana, egg, cocoa). Worth a repeat for sure.
    a vodka soda with lime.

The legs are still a bit stiff, but manageable. Better plan to do something involving movement tomorrow. And it finally stopped raining.

I watched the youtube videos of Lustig's "The Skinny on Obesity". Worth the time. Hubby even stopped by to watch one of the segments with me. Reminds me that there are still 1 1/2 pralines in the box...I reminded son #1 about them, he had forgotten they were there. He still hasn't had them. Neither have I.

Foods today are less than I've been having of late, and the 17 hour IF certainly contributed. I entered the numbers for a spot check, came in around 1400 cal, surprisingly. 1100 for dinner?? Of course, I didn't actually measure anything, just guessing at actual amounts. Regardless, it was far less that most recent days, and I'm feeling full. <note to self: remember mindfulness in eating>.

Another 6.5 hours of sleep, well, maybe closer to 7, but not quite.

I reduced my chicken bone broth. After sitting in the fridge it was nice and gelatinous, even before the reduction. I expect this was courtesy of the $4 package of secret chicken feet added . I think I'll be drinking some of this over the next couple of days, and I have 2 ice cube trays of broth freezing, plus several jars in the fridge. Next up: bison bones, with the package of beef tendon I found in the Asian market a while back and hid in the back of the freezer. I found in the freezer I still also have some cubes of duck bone broth from winter, must remember to use that up soon. How long does frozen bone broth stay good, anyway?

I also decided to try out (finally, been meaning to do for ages) some gelatin tea. I brewed some strong Tazo Passion tea, and made "jello" with that plus added lemon juice. We'll see tomorrow how that turns out. Inspiration from Paleobird's rooibos lime gelatin from last summer.

I thought I'd fast till dinner again, but decided at noon I was hungry enough to eat. I keep tuna stashed at work for such times. I had one small tin, then opened a second foil pouch of the same. Took one mouthful, and it tasted sort of "off", not nasty, but just off. I spit out the mouthful and spent the next half hour wondering if I'd get sick, but all seems to be well. Needless to say, I tossed the remainder of the pouch. And down the hall, not in the trash in my cubicle. Anyway, it seems that I needed only the one tin to sate the growling belly.

Eats:
    black coffee
    1200: tsp of coconut oil, small tin of tuna in olive oil
    assorted green teas hot through the workday, plus one Tazo Wild Sweet Orange
    430pm: couple of oz of leftover steak needing to be eaten in the back of the fridge.
    D: curlygirl's sesame dragon chicken over steamed cauliflower. Highly recommended. Even son #2 who dislikes onion and red pepper devoured the lot and requests a remake another day. I substituted almond butter for tahini but added a splash of toasted sesame oil. Most excellent.

I'm having a glass of wine.

Tomorrow needs to be about weeding. Hubby did some tonight, and growled at me for not doing the same. I was busy puttering in the kitchen and had to make a quick trip to restock a few grocery items, so back off!

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Greensprout View Post
    Not particularly productive today, but finally got the winter tires changed over. I had to replace one as last fall just as we were ready to change over to winters son #1 (a newly licensed driver) hit a curb and destroyed one summer tire.
    I remember that

one of curlygirl's chocolate muffin things (1/2 a banana, egg, cocoa). Worth a repeat for sure.
    curlygirl's sesame dragon chicken over steamed cauliflower. Highly recommended.
    Who is this curlygirl???

I watched the youtube videos of Lustig's "The Skinny on Obesity". Worth the time.
    I'll have to watch that.

I also decided to try out (finally, been meaning to do for ages) some gelatin tea. I brewed some strong Tazo Passion tea, and made "jello" with that plus added lemon juice. We'll see tomorrow how that turns out. Inspiration from Paleobird's rooibos lime gelatin from last summer.
    I'd forgotten, I've made that before...hmmm, I'll have to make that again tomorrow...
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Quote Originally Posted by winencandy View Post
    Who is this curlygirl???
    Heheh, not you! She posts a lot of recipes with the link to her blog Paleo Musings. Lots of good stuff. Plus if that photo on the homepage is her kitchen, I'm insanely jealous!

So I'm not too sure about the jello thing. Of course, it's all in the ratios. I used a lot of gelatin with the intent to have the protein content up, to make it "worthwhile". I ended up with extremely "thick" gelatin, overwhelmingly thick. I had portioned the lot into 3 2 cup containers, over 3/4 full, so by my calculations each about 40 cal and 16 g protein. I made my way through it, but not particularly enjoying it after the first few "bites". The tea could have been stronger, more flavor might have helped. I have 2 more containers in the fridge. Hmm.

Tomorrow at work for a group PT thing we're going out walking to the park (where I go on my walks at lunch, or at least used to go, not yet this spring since I returned home). About 20 min brisk walk to park, as long or as short as you like in the park, then return. Of course, the group motion is also the Sundae shop right at the park entrance. The plan is to stop there on the return leg. I'm undecided if I'll get any. I've actually been thinking about decent ice cream over the past week or two, considering a trip to Marble Slab Creamery in fact. I think I'll decide when I get there if anything looks particularly worthwhile or not. Likely, I'll be fasted, so the sugar hit might make the afternoon go awry, but perhaps not. I suppose I'll bring cash, in case it makes sense at the time.

Sunny and warm today. I got outside and weeded for nearly an hour and a half after work, the weeds in the front flower beds were getting rather embarrassing. Gone now. Whew. Now I have to think about annuals and if I want any new perennials. And plant them. Have to work up the soil first and add some new stuff to add some nutrients. Next up, backyard.

Today's eats:
    black coffee
    midday: chicken bone broth, very nice. Great, in fact, once I added Himalayan sea salt. Large serving of gelatin tea. Details above.
    415: 2 slices decent deli ham
    7pm: baked sweet potato, buttered, salmon in a coconut curry sauce (not bad), salad of arugula, spinach, strawberries, red onion with strawberry vinaigrette.
    Rum & zevia.

I'm mostly still full. Since dinner, my belly has been gurgling fiercely, I'm thinking it's more related to the gelatin overload today (broth plus jello) rather than dinner. It was only about 1/4 a can of coconut milk for 2 servings in the sauce, fish sauteed in coconut oil, so not crazy on the fat portion. <note to self: go easy on gelatin totals in one day!>

edit: forgot to add about 6 hours sleep last night. I was ready to go but ended up in a lengthy conversation with son #1 about university (he has one year of high school left), financing, his future, and so on. It was a really good talk, but kept me up far later than planned. Sometimes you just have to go with it. I appreciated the discussion.
    Last edited by Greensprout; 05-31-2012 at 08:38 PM.

Yesterday was more like 7 hours of sleep. Felt better in the morning, less sluggish through the day. We did the group walk, just over 5k, and I did have one small scoop of ice cream. It was pretty generic, not really worth it, but I ate it, on a fasted belly. Didn't seem to impact my afternoon at least. A large mug of bone broth after work, and then nada until a very late (as in 10pm) dinner with hubby: bacon wrapped beef tenderloin, grilled asparagus, sauteed mushrooms & peppers, a shared bottle of red. And a couple of dry ciders.

Today was beautiful, sunny and really warm, finally. I made it to the first day of the farmers' market, obviously too early for much produce. I came home with ground bison, a bit of bison jerky, gluten free german smokies, a bunch of ground pastured pork (looks like I've found a source for pastured lard, yay!), and of course, jumbo eggs. The egg man remembered me from the last couple of seasons. They've actually been selling their eggs through a couple of independent groceries this winter, which has been awesome, but not the jumbos. Here's hoping for many double-yolks!

Ooooh, I bought a small inexpensive ice cream maker today, on sale. Looking forward to trying it out, thought I might get there today, but perhaps tomorrow. Ah, the possibilities.

Spent a good couple of hours pulling more weeds in the garden. The soil and even the lawn is so saturated from all the rain, I can't yet get in and really turn over all the soil. Hopefully over the next week. Have more good dirt and compost to be mixed in, then I can get planting some goodies. Salad greens, tomatoes, herbs, and flowers are on the list.

Today's eats:
    black coffee
    230pm: couple ounces of bacon wrapped beef steak, a pepperoni stick, cherries.
    730pm: 3 bbq chicken thighs with SOG bbq sauce (haven't made that since last summer, must do more often), large green salad with cuke, radish, red onion and a balsamic vinaigrette.
    a rum & diet coke. Yeah, no zevia left. Tastes way better than dc.

The pool is all ready for use. Hubby and son #1 took a dip today, thought I might but got doing other things. I don't expect I'll be feeling quite as okay in my bikinis this month as last summer, but I'm working on that. Bah.

9 hours of sleep. Woohoo for Sundays with no morning obligations.

Eats:
    black coffee
    1200: 3 chicken thighs, cup of cherries (omnomnomnom)
    4pm: pepperoni stick
    7pm: 2 grilled pork loin chops with SOG BBQ sauce, caprese salad on a bed of arugula
    few cherries & blueberries
    vodka soda with lime

I had some wine and a small handful of plain corn tortilla chips last night. They seemed like a good idea at the time, not sure why I bothered .

Weird day, alternating between warm and sunny with black skies, thunder and rain. No gardening was accomplished. Went out to the mall, found a lovely bright red ceramic tea mug with a "built in" mesh infuser for work for half price. Nice. That and a couple of new fruity tea blends at Teaopia. They should be good iced. A stop at Old Navy for tshirts resulted in finding two decent ones plus a half price pair of jeans, so a good trip overall.

On tap for this week is the aim to be more productive. Lots to get done around the house and yard, and I'm significantly lacking on the exercise department. That bikini isn't going to fit any better if I don't get my ass moving more.

I have a slow cooker of bison bones & beef tendons simmering since last night. Bison bone broth on the way .

Suse is offline Senior Member
    god its been forever since i checked in, and the last post is bloody spam. jeez.

missing you girls. I need to get back into being primal and reading you all regularly. I am bad.

Hey Suse, you're very welcome back here. We've missed you too. Baby steps work for the road back, you know. And yes, winencandy & I toasted a glass of wine in your honor when we met up back in March .

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yay, hot sunny day. Too bad most of it was sitting in cubicle land in too chilly air conditioning with no natural light.

Ventured to pick up a few garden plants after dinner. I've left this rather late this year, and most of the stuff on display was sad and picked over looking. Bah. Did come out with a few tomato seedlings, cucumber, oregano, & thyme. On the lookout for cilantro, italian parsley and basil.

Eats:
    black coffee
    noon: chicken bone broth, small bit of bison jerky (maybe 25 g?)
    430: pepperoni stick
    6pm: 1 1/2 pork chop, 2 over easy runny eggs (yay for the first double yolk of the season) on a bed of lightly sauteed arugula and spinach in ghee
    later: vodka soda with lime, 2 more pepperoni sticks.

Didn't dig in the dirt today as I had to pick up son #2 from driver's ed, then onto making dinner. Perhaps tomorrow.

Tomorrow is a lunch out at work to say goodbye to a colleague. Very upscale place, hopefully I'll find something interesting.