Page 142 of 269 FirstFirst ... 4292132140141142143144152192242 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,420 of 2681

Thread: Primal Journal **Greensprout** page 142

Greensprout is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I suppose it's finally time to check in.

Finished the damn course, managing to break the tip of my left ring finger on day 4 of the final field exercise (got the tip crushed in a door...damn that hurt!!), but it's healing nicely. There was a lot of nonsense going on by the staff in the last few days, so it was good to get the heck out of there for the 3 day drive home. Arrived on May 3, had the week to get re-oriented to home and the new position at work, then had to catch a flight on Mother's Day for a 2 day conference in Ontario. Hubby was away last week, and now gone again for this week, so not much of a family long weekend. Son #1 turned 17 yesterday, so I took the boys out for dinner, which was nice.

As I think was previously mentioned, I've found myself on the sugar bandwagon. It started during the course, trying to fill some "need" lacking in the poor food quality and intensity of the course. And carried on to home. My 2 weeks home have been somewhat disjointed, and I'm still not back into a rhythm. Still consuming chocolate, what's up with that?

This week the plan is to get back to basics, quality foods (aiming for meat, veg & eggs), and cut out (or at least way back on) the crap. Not surprisingly, I am finding my pants a bit snugger, and several unnecessary pounds are being sported by my lower half. Time for a reboot.

More later.

I haven't done any workouts since getting home nearly 3 weeks ago. And I'm doing a 5K on Sunday. Ack!! The 5K is not really a choice, it's the "Air Force Run", we've been told we're either participating in the race or volunteering, so hubby & I chose the 5K, rather than 10K or half marathon. Better get out walking/running this week.

Eats are far from stellar. Grain free is a no brainer, sugar is far too high, and though I've never really been on the VLC track, the carb load has been far higher in the last 6 weeks than I've been used to for over a year. Sigh.

Today (far from ideal):

black coffee
    3 soft boiled eggs with a thick slice of pork tenderloin and buttered, salted white rice
    another slice of pork tenderloin
    tall iced coffee with stevia & heavy cream. Very good, attempting to curb craving for chocolate.
    2 mandarin oranges
    few spoonsfull of taco seasoned ground beef
    2 handfulls of corn tortilla chips
    couple of hard ciders.

I've (unfortunately) developed a taste for hard cider, though to my credit, I much prefer the dry to the more sweet. Carb heavy, regardless.

At least there had been no chocolate today, unlike most days of the past many weeks. Much to my chagrin, Reese PB has been present far too often. WTF????

And sleep is still an issue. I sleep well, just not enough. I innocently thought the course, being away form home would be good for sleep, but the amount of work required, plus some weird stresses on the way did not result in the desired outcome. This needs to be a priority. Will I ever learn??

To top it all off, I seem to be having hormonal issues. My usual 28 day cycle has been rather off the past 2 months. A cycle of 20 days was followed by one of 19 days, and I'm not impressed. Is this perimenopause? Not out of the question at 44. Is this what the next months will bring?? I surely hope not.

Somewhat better today. Sleep about 7 hours. Could have used more.

Eats:

black coffee
    11 am: pork tenderloin, buttered sweet potato, arugula
    2 cups green tea
    230pm: 8 almonds, bit of shredded coconut (all I could scrounge in my desk in a fog of mid afternoon sugar craving)
    7om: 3 fried eggs, 6 slices bacon, guacamole. Mmmmm. I'm still full.
    2 glasses red wine.

No movement today. The gym next door to my building is renovating the womens' changeroom for the next month, so that makes walking at noon a bit of a challenge. And by the time work was done, a storm was brewing. Due for lots of rain & thunder tonight. So much for working in the garden as well.

Our unit at work is hosting a conference for the rest of the week, so no chance to get out during the day, and may be late at day's end. Ah well. Tomorrow has a luncheon with sandwiches, fruit and sweets, think I'll pack some boiled eggs, guacamole and bacon. The boys didn't object that I cooked extra, but I don't think they know where I stashed the leftovers .

We had the pool opened on Friday, but it will take probably the week to get the chemical levels sorted out and son #2 to do the cleaning to be ready for use. Weather is predicting a lot of rain all week, so no big deal.

Maybe a walk tomorrow? I have to get back to the yoga too, now that the thumb sprain is finally mostly healed, and the recovering fractured finger shouldn't have much of an impact. I sure could use some loosening up of the tight hips/hamstrings. I took my foam roller while I was away, but didn't actually use it very much.
    Last edited by Greensprout; 05-22-2012 at 09:10 PM.

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Greensprout View Post
    I suppose it's finally time to check in.
    Yes. It is
    You've been busy!
    Ouch on your finger, same hand as your wrist or are you maimed in both hands?

As I think was previously mentioned, I've found myself on the sugar bandwagon. It started during the course, trying to fill some "need" lacking in the poor food quality and intensity of the course. And carried on to home. My 2 weeks home have been somewhat disjointed, and I'm still not back into a rhythm. Still consuming chocolate, what's up with that?
    Um, it's chocolate?

This week the plan is to get back to basics, quality foods (aiming for meat, veg & eggs), and cut out (or at least way back on) the crap. Not surprisingly, I am finding my pants a bit snugger, and several unnecessary pounds are being sported by my lower half. Time for a reboot.
    Me too...

I'm doing a 5K on Sunday. Ack!!
    You'll do great, even with no prep you will fly past my 39:01!

And sleep is still an issue. I sleep well, just not enough.
    This needs to be a priority. Will I ever learn??
    maybe

Glad you're back! Be careful at yoga with your "gimp" hands
    Last edited by winencandy; 05-24-2012 at 04:09 PM. Reason: fixed quote
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Quote Originally Posted by winencandy View Post
    Ouch on your finger, same hand as your wrist or are you maimed in both hands?
    Ha, I had to do the obvious and be a bilateral maimed person The thumb is pretty much better now, and the finger mostly okay, but numb at the tip and uncomfortable with full extension. I'll live. Needless to say, grace has never been one of my better qualities.

Um, it's chocolate?
    Yeah, but more like mini reese peanut butter balls, and milk chocolate raisins and that sort of nonsense candy crap

You'll do great, even with no prep you will fly past my 39:01!
    Thanks for the encouragement! About 8 years I ran a 26 something 5K...I'm looking at this as a "fun run" with hubby.

Glad you're back! Be careful at yoga with your "gimp" hands
    Hehehehe.

Some very interesting speakers at our conference today. It's all on aerospace medicine, aimed at flight surgeons, with the theme of human factors, which of course, includes fatigue (related to avoidance of fatigue related incidents and errors, and so on). Some very cool stuff related to circadian rhythms, fatigue, performance, and things to mitigate the effects. Lots of discussion about melatonin and light therapy. Reminds me I need more sleep (yeah, as I sit here past 10pm).

Eats:
    black coffee
    4 hb eggs with guacamole & 3 slices bacon
    iced coffee with hwc & stevia
    slow cooked bison blade roast, sweet potato, sauteed shredded brussel sprouts
    tsp of raw local honey
    glass of wine

I made more coffee in the pot this morning than I needed, so had the brilliant idea to bring the rest on ice with cream & stevia. It made the most lovely mid afternoon pick me up. Must do this again. Maybe tomorrow

Spent a long time this evening fiddling around with the pool pump/filter/heater and cleaning the crud out of the bottom of the pool, so hopefully it will be ready for a dip in the next week. Takes a good bit to get ready in spring, but so worth it when it gets hot. And being a salt water pool, it really isn't bad at all for maintenance once it's good to go. Of course, hubby (who usually does much of this stuff) is away, so a good amount of emailing back and forth for troubleshooting a few things, think I got it all sorted in the end. A few more cleanings and hopefully a dip will be happening soon. Unfortunately, more rain is in store over the weekend and next week too. Boo.

Yesterday's eats:

black coffee
    3 hb eggs with guacamole & 4 slices bacon (the boys never did find the leftovers )
    iced coffee with stevia & hwc
    the top layers (sugar and crappy milk chocolate) of 2 nanaimo bars
    2 lettuce wrapped bison/grass fed beef burgers topped with cheddar, gucamole, salsa, pickled jalapenos)
    2 small mandarin oranges, 2 squares dark chocolate
    2 glasses red

Very bad idea about the nasty sugar stuff on those nanaimo bars - within an hour or so, my belly started rumbling and gurgling something fierce. No belly ache, cramps or discomfort, just huge amounts of movement and noise going on. By the time I got home from work, I had about 6 trips to the toilet for liquid BMs. Still not totally settled today, loose but not liquid, and rumbly. So much for what I thought would simply be a sugar hit. Sugar+likely nasty oils+cheap chocolate+custard powder (which is apparently cornstarch)=not a good idea at all.

As predicted, the weather was lousy for the race this morning. It was pouring cats and dogs when we got up, but by the time we got to the base and walked to the start area it had mostly stopped. +10C, windy, very grey, expecting lots more rain today. I haven't run since middle of last month, and not even really gone walking since I got home over 3 weeks ago. Hubby & I took up a slow-moderate pace, I was in my VFFs (he didn't wear his, since he hasn't been using them for months, though he's been running regularly for a few months). We ran the whole way, and even picked up the pace a good bit in the last km or so. Don't have the official time (won't be posted till tomorrow), but it was somewhere around 30 min. Not too bad! Though I'm feeling pretty darn stiff now, and tomorrow no doubt I'll get out of bed hobbling, unable to touch my heels to the floor without pain, and think "I'm an idiot". Ah well. Perhaps I can use this as my jumpstart back into getting moving again. Hell, if I can roll out a 30 min 5K with no prep, I can go walking and throw in a few sprints here and there. And I verified Fri evening that I can still do a chinup, albeit only one, and it's a struggle!

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    We ran the whole way, and even picked up the pace a good bit in the last km or so.
    Excellent!!

Hell, if I can roll out a 30 min 5K with no prep, I can go walking and throw in a few sprints here and there.
    If you can do that, IMAGINE what else you can do!!!
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

WTF? Finally start getting back to posting and get hit with 2 spammers in a row??

Official race time <drumroll> was 31:02. Not bad for doing it cold at all.

Not as stiff today as expected (perhaps just waiting for DOMS tomorrow?), certainly had to get up and move from my office chair hourly so as to not stiffen more. Have a funny pain in the lateral part of my left food since this afternoon, I have had this once in a while before after doing a lot in the VFFs after a hiatus. I didn't let that stop me from getting out for a short walk after work, only 35 min, but at least it's something. And I even started out in a light drizzle, which stopped after a few minutes. A brief pause before rain all evening.

Neglected to mention that when hubby got home on Fri night, having been in New Orleans, he just had to bring home pralines. Yes, those buttery, sugary morsels of decadence, my nemesis since discovering the real thing last year in the south. I had 2 that night, 3 on Sat, 2 yesterday. Good grief. There are 2 left (one chocolate, one regular), which I AM NOT HAVING. I refuse to finish the last ones, like I did last time.

Yesterday's eats:
    black coffee
    bbq ribs from Applebees (free) after the race, quite ho hum, just a small portion
    leftover steak & mushrooms, couple of strawberries, cup of cherries
    <pralines>
    D: BBQ seasoned parsnip fries, assorted leftover meats (steak, chicken, bison roast)
    some wine.

I just finished cooking a slowcooker batch of chicken broth, I added a package of chicken feet to the free range bones I had been saving frozen. I managed to keep the feet "hidden" and have secretly discarded the remnants, as hubby would no doubt be completely disturbed. Silly man. He has already warned me that I am under no circumstances to "trick" him into eating the bison heart I bought a while ago and have stashed in the freezer. Hmmm. Will have to think about that one.

Today's eats:
    B: black coffee, 5 eggs scrambled in ghee with scallions, bit of ham & goat cheese (I was hungry today, so decided on breakfast for a change)
    D: large grilled pork shoulder chop, sweet potato cubes roasted in coconut oil/ghee with cinnamon & cayenne, cauli roasted with coconut oil/ghee with paprika & turmeric, steamed broccoli.
    one glass of wine

I spent the evening going through emails from my ER casual job. I've forgotten to check that for MANY months, just remembered as I had to sign up for a mandatory education day for next week. Not how I'd been planning on spending several hours this evening, ah well. That and kids laundry.

I feel like I have a million things that I should be doing, yet am feeling unmotivated to get them done. Or what I plan do do on a particular day I get sidetracked from. Stuff like more decluttering, sorting stacks of paperwork at home, weeding the flower/veggie beds and prepping them for planting (hampered a lot by rain this past week), a few other random projects around the house, and so on. I know having more sleep would help with feeling more productive. I was planning on turning in earlier yesterday, but while unwinding and web surfing, I came across "Fried Green Tomatoes" on the tv, I do love that movie, so, well, you know how that turned out. Up till after 11, then hubby wanted to play, so, that makes it up till closer to 12. We've spent so much time away from each other these past couple of months that saying "sorry honey, I would rather sleep" seems a little wrong. Although it wasn't sleep, it was time well spent .