Page 127 of 264 FirstFirst ... 2777117125126127128129137177227 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,270 of 2638

Thread: Primal Journal **Greensprout** page 127

Greensprout is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Hope you all had a lovely Christmas!

The Christmas Eve feast was good, I ended up actually not eating as much as I would have thought, sticking to meats, some cheese, veg, caesar salad, shrimp, bacon wrapped scallops, olives and pickles. Berries and cream for dessert. And wine, of course . And as always, the "elves" left everyone a gift of new jammies and a book, gee, how did they know "Primal Body, Primal Mind" was a good idea for me?? (hehehehe)

Christmas morning is all much more civilized than when the kids were small...everyone slept in, and the boys till after 11, so hubby & I enjoyed our coffee before time for opening stockings. The day was pretty low key, and I made this chocolate pear hazlenut torte to bring for dessert: Modern Paleo Warfare: CAKE WEEK!. It was a bit dry, as my pan was bigger than the recipe and I forgot to compensate for shorter bake time, and reminded me of the walnut brownies from the PB cookbook. Hubby made creme brulee, and we made jello as requested for the little ones at the dinner. Christmas dinner at friends was very relaxed and nice. Lots of turkey, sweet potato mash, cauliflower mash, brussel sprouts. Had a bit of cranberry sauce, then a slice of torte plus the creme brulee. Some wine and brandy. The boys had left earlier, so it was nice to be able to call son #1 to come back and pick us up instead of taking a cab.

Today I got up early to take son #1 to work for 8am, since I wanted my car instead of it sitting in a parking lot all day. Breakfast of 4 soft boiled eggs with guacamole, coffee, then out to brave the boxing day sales. To be honest, nothing jumped out, and I didn't feel like trying on clothes...I was feeling quite tired, having had about 6 hours of sleep. I did buy one thing, a nice leather purse, sort of messenger/cross body style for half off. Didn't feel like cooking, so we had more caesar salad, italian salami, one lamb chop, raw veg and cheese. Plus the last slice of the chocolate torte. One vodka soda late, after taking son #2 out.

I should get off to bed...12 hour shift in the ER starts early tomorrow.

Suse is offline Senior Member
    sounds like you had a lovely day and kept it reasonably primal too... most impressive. I'm sure creme brulee is primal uggh to boxing day sales... I cant stand the madness of it all.

hope you have a quiet shift tomorrow.

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    ^ what Suse said

Quote Originally Posted by Greensprout View Post
    Christmas morning is all much more civilized than when the kids were small...everyone slept in, and the boys till after 11, so hubby & I enjoyed our coffee before time for opening stockings.
    Very nice! (My 16 year old Daughter woke us all up by playing her saxophone at 7:45!!)
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

So son #1 finally got off on his long awaited ski trip this morning, leaving early to drive 4 hours away with 2 other boys, an 18 year old is driving, and they have a hotel booked for tonight (yes, we both gave the requisite lecture on no stupid stuff...since 18 is the legal age here...). Had a few texts that he was having a great time with his new snowboard, with a healthy amount of bruises. Then the next text...he "had a bad bail", and hurt his left wrist. The hill first aiders recommended he have an xray when he gets home tomorrow. How nice. Says he's icing it, and it doesn't feel too bad, but no boarding for him tomorrow morning as planned. They expect to be home for supper.

Funny how hubby's reaction was rather different from mine...I was thinking "oh no, poor kid", he was annoyed that he will have to take the kid for an xray, since I have another 12 hour ER shift, "so that's going to waste 4 or 5 hours of my day"... . Get over yourself, dude.

I'm hoping this won't impact the kid's kitchen job, it most certainly will impact his heavy lifting (he's in a bulking cycle at the moment), and hopefully not his school trip snowboarding to Banff in a month...

Yesterday:

Up and out the door early for 12 hours in the ER. Unfortunately, I was assigned to everybody's least preferred area, minor treatment. That's where all the supposedly less acute patients, who should be able to be seen, treated fairly quickly and leave are triaged to. What that means for the one nurse there is pretty much chaos, running from task to task, and trying to keep your head above water. Started off very disorganized, but eventually got into the flow, including dealing with a very dissatisfied patient and her family, who at least did thank me for what I was able to do despite system issues. A decent day overall. I didn't wear the wrist splint (hand hygiene, and all that), it was sore, but not particularly more so than any other day, so I suppose it's on the mend. Chatted with one of the ER docs about my injury, he said that if I could get through the day okay, it was a pretty good test of progress.

Eats:
    black coffee
    L: 5 (yes, 5 ) hard boiled eggs, some raw cauliflower, peppers, and cheese
    more raw veg (celery, carrots, grape tomato) and cheese
    Didn't really feel like "dinner" when I got home past 8pm. Had a vodka soda, and a glass of wine or two, then a large portion of potato chips with cream cheese dip and 6 (aaahhhh) almond roca. Fell asleep in the TV room till 2am (oops), whether due to the drinks or the sugar, who knows.

Today:

Slept in till close to 11. A few errands out while hubby worked on the next phase of painting the front entry way and up the stairs. Glad it was him and not me as I watched him way up 12 feet on the ladder

Woke up with lots of belly growling, which turned into real hunger, so had breakfast, and then some more grumbles and a couple of unpleasant trips to the bathroom...lets just say things were rather liquidy... (yeah, very much TMI, I know). Settled in a couple of hours. I suppose I can blame the junk food from last night.

Eats:
    black coffee
    B/L: 3 over easy eggs on some ground beef, half an avocado
    bottle of ginger kombucha
    D: chicken breast in mushroom cream sauce (very rich with lots of lovely heavy cream) over broccoli.
    One rum & zevia, glass of wine.

Planning for bed by 10, I have ER shifts again the next 2 days, both for 12 hours. I only got 6 hours of sleep before yesterday's shift, and fared okay, but was draggy and tired today. I'd do better with more rest for sure to get me through till Friday evening.

Yesterday was hubby's 46th birthday. I gave him a Grok "live long drop dead" tshirt. He had admired them last spring at PrimalCon.
    Last edited by Greensprout; 12-28-2011 at 08:00 PM. Reason: more foodz: add 4 fresh dates each stuffed with 2 raw almonds. Now off to bed.

Yeah, still up. Got texts from son #1, they're on the way home tonight, had trouble finding the hotel, which turned out rather seedy looking, and with one injured, they decided to just drive home. His wrist is quite sore now, so hubby is going to take him into an urgent care centre when they get in tonight for the xray. Should actually get in and out quicker in the middle of the night than during the day. I'm really off to bed now, they should be in around 1 am. I'll get the update in the morning, I suppose.

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    Poor guy! He's been trying to go on this trip for ages and then he hurts himself. I hope it's nothing serious - hey, maybe you can lend him your wrist splint.

Good luck on your 12 hour shifts, I'm officially on my month off now.

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NourishedEm View Post
    Poor guy! He's been trying to go on this trip for ages and then he hurts himself. I hope it's nothing serious - hey, maybe you can lend him your wrist splint.

Good luck on your 12 hour shifts, I'm officially on my month off now.
    +1
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Well, the kid has no fracture (yay), just a good soft tissue injury. I finally saw it tonight, not nearly as bad as mine was initially! Doc says he should be a lot better by Monday, go for followup at sports medicine clinic next week if still sore. Off work for the week, plus no lifting. He should be okay for the Banff trip next month.

Really busy in the ER today, which makes the time go fast. I narrowly avoided getting vomited on, unlike my partner for our area, who most unfortunately got splashed in the face with spew. Not nice. I had a colleague whom I've known since I started there, about 12 years ago (who I haven't seen in a long time) ask me if I still run and how do I keep so slim? (She's slim herself, but from what I remember, eats the usual CW crap, and is about my age). I told her I changed my diet to eat more protein, a lot more fat, and no grains, which translates to lowish carb, including lots of meat, butter, and so on. She really looked surprised when I said my bloodwork has never looked better, and hubby doing the same has got off his lipitor. After she asked further, I suggested she google primal and paleo if she wants to learn more. It was a bit of a boost to my self esteem, as I haven't been feeling particularly thin of late. Granted, when I first met her, I was about 40 lbs heavier, then lost via WW and the typical CW methods.

Eats:
    black coffee
    one coffee with cream
    leftover chicken/mushroom cream sauce/broccoli
    green tea
    one rum & stevia, glass of wine
    I'm sort of hungry, but not ravenous. Think I'll have some cheese, veg and rice crackers. Yes, I forgot to mention that I had some of the rice crackers on Christmas Eve with the feast, which was a lovely crunchy addition to the foods. I think that's okay once in a while. Better than those damn potato chips, anyway.

So snack and bed. Another 12 hour shift tomorrow. Despite the business of the day, it was pretty good, and nice to be back into the swing of things in the clinical arena.

Friday was an even busier day in the ER. Makes it go by pretty fast. My only eats for the day were black coffee, one green tea, and some greek yogurt with berries and shredded coconut. Hubby and I had a late dinner after I got home, he had nicely followed my instructions and had things prepped and marinaded for me to start cooking. We had grilled sirloin steaks, grilled asparagus, mushrooms, and baked sweet potatoes, along with a bottle of cabernet. We started watching the TV series "Fringe", catching the first few episodes, until I was falling asleep around midnight. Pretty interesting show.

Yesterday was a well needed sleep in, then off to the salon for a trim and colour (haven't done that since July...good grief). I chose to go a very dark chocolate brown with coppery tones. I like it. When I go dark, it really makes my green eyes jump out.

We had a quiet evening at home, but were up way too late! Didn't end up doing dinner till very late, as one of the kids needed a ride out but didn't get his plans sorted till after 9...and we wanted wine with dinner. I actually hadn't really eaten until dinner, but felt quite fine.

1130 am: black coffee, one bulletproof coffee
    5pm: few tastes of ground beef in pasta sauce made for the boys
    10pm: jumbo scallops, salad with raspberry vinaigrette, goat cheese stuffed bacon wrapped fresh dates. 2 NorCal margaritas, wine, bottle of bubbles.

We watched some more Fringe, and then spend an hour in the hot tub with the bubbly. Some neighbours were setting off fireworks in the park, which we could see from the tub. Just like a private show . I was waiting later for return texts from son #1 about when the heck he was getting home, he got in close to 4am just as we had gone to bed.

I slept in till about 11, and feel fine today. Made a lovely omelet for brunch: 4 eggs, mushrooms, scallions, tomato, gouda, 3 slices of bacon. Coffee with cream (thought it as a bit of a treat, but by now I actually like it black better). I'm in the process of making a huge pot of creamy potato soup at the request of the boys, and sipping on a ginger kombucha. Quiet day.