Page 102 of 278 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112152202 ... LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 2780

Thread: Primal Journal **Greensprout** page 102

Greensprout is offline Senior Member
    Ok, it's late, but I've finished packing for the funeral trip. In to work at the usual time, then hubby will run me to the airport after lunch. Home late Friday afternoon.

Tonight we went to the first group session for parents of kids having issues with substance use. It was suggested by the counselor at school who saw son #2 following his issues and subsequent suspension at the end of the school year. Listening to some of the other parents, I suppose perhaps our issues are not so bad in comparison, regardless, the theme seems to be the same, how do we deal with the trust issues, how do we communicate effectively with these teenagers, and where do we go from here. It's 4 sessions, unfortunately I have to miss the next 2, due to the funeral and work trip next week, but hubby will be there and can fill me in. I think we'll get some good useful tools to work with, based on what we saw tonight.

My lunch today I can only describe as very odd...

Eats:
    black coffee
    9am: 2 HB eggs
    1230: tin of salmon mixed with a tin of sardines (still not sure I like these, but will keep trying, since they're apparently good for me) with chives, cucumber and chimichurri, small bowl of the last of the beet soup with sour cream.
    6pm: using up CSA veg: stir fry of zuchinni, eggplant, mushroom, onion, swiss chard with red pepper flakes and curry powder topped with grass fed ground beef. Was actually very tasty, and worth repeating.
    10pm: glass of wine while packing, one pepperoni stick.

Bedtime. May be offline until Friday.

Ellie G is offline Senior Member
    That is an interesting lunch! I have some sardines waiting for me for lunch tomorrow -- I haven't decided if I like them or not, but if I put enough hot sauce on them, I know I will enjoy them

It's been a good week. Despite the fact that I was at a funeral, it was good to connect with some family that I haven't seen in quite some time (as in MANY years for some...) including my mom and brother. Aside from wine, the eats were reasonable too.

Home for Friday, dinner at primal friends on Sat. Currently I'm in the Toronto airport for my flight home after 2 days of productive meetings. And a hearty dose of wine last night...one of the doctors footed the booze bill, so what was I to do?

More later, almost time to be heading to the gate to get home. I get home not until around 11pm, so think I might head in a bit late in the morning.

Tons of things piled up to do at work, no surprise there. A bit overwhelming to be honest, spent much of today sorting out current priorities, of which there are many.

I really have to reel in the foods...yes, I'm still avoiding grains, no legumes, and reasonable on the dairy. The issue is higher carb intake than what I had been doing for months, along with cravings for potatoes, chocolate, and ice cream here and there. And of course, the wine, etc. Walking has been sporadic, sprints mostly nonexistant, and lifting heavy stuff very minimal. As well, since coming off leave last week, sleep seems to be back to the previous pattern of 6-7 hours nightly rather than the 9ish I enjoyed while off work. Weight is up a few pounds, and I'm feeling flabby. Wasn't the plan to be leaner at the end of summer??

I will not succumb to the doldrums of falling back into old patterns. No doubt, for anyone who has actually been reading all my rambles, this sounds suspiciously repetitive.

On another note, today's dinner was a successful attempt at using up a pile of CSA box veggies...the weekly bounty is growing as the season progresses. I sauteed a bunch of veg in coconut oil: onion, garlic, red and green sweet peppers, eggplant, zucchini, pattypan squash, mushrooms, swiss chard and tomatoes with some tomato paste, salt, pepper, fresh oregano & basil. A bastardized version of ratatouille of sorts. Topped with shredded slow cooker pork leftover from what hubby made yesterday. Fresh, tasty, and very filling.

Tomorrow morning I take son #2 to the orthodontist to get upper braces. Son #1 has already finished with his 2 years of braces, good thing we have good dental coverage to cover the next several thousands of dollars once again. He's not happy in anticipation of being very sore for a few days, and the impact it will have on his eating. I imagine he'll get over it. Then some time later on, he'll need the lower teeth done, which are apparently not ready for treatment yet.

Today's eats:
    black coffee, 4 eggs with 3 slices of bacon
    after work: half a pepperoni stick, 6 pecan halves
    D: ground beef on top of yesterday's veggie mix. Probably a cup of white rice...made for the boys, I was tasting and then had 2 ramekins worth with butter...
    Glass of red (large...)

Took son #2 to the orthodontist, actually he's not ready for the braces (hubby got the info wrong from last week's visit), but has a palate widener, he's not too happy as it significantly impacts his speech and eating...but he'll adjust. Should be for 9 months, then braces. Didn't get in to work until close to 11.

Tonight was the last session of the parent program. We've learned some strategies, and are well armed with other resources for if and when we decide we need more. Thus far, summer has been relatively okay with the kid, we've made some compromises, and he has done the same. I don't believe everything is 100% on the up and up, but he's living with the parameters we've set and there have been no significant events. I'm still hopeful that things will work out okay. I also had the chance to chat about this with a cousin at the funeral who is a police detective in another city, he had a few insights and seemed to think we're heading in the right direction...I told him I wished we lived in the same place so he and his cohorts could put a good scare or reality check in place...but we'll manage.

Am working on sorting out a way ahead for my eating plan. Some calorie restriction is definitely in order (yes, maybe not so popular with many around here lately, but come on...really...), undecided whether to go back to the regular IF thing, maybe a smaller eating window daily, or what. Leptin reset? Don't think I'm leptin resistant, do I have extra belly fat? Well, yes, as a matter of fact. Have I been able to lose in the past? Well, yes. Carb cycling? maybe a reasonable idea. All I do know is that I'm a bit heavier than going into summer and clothes are feeling more snug. I definitely need to cut back the drinks. Unnecessary non-nutrient value intake. Summer is over, my friends.

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    It's easy for things to run away from us sometimes isn't it?

I don't think everyone is Leptin resistant regardless of what some people around here think. In fact, I think leptin resistant is only related to obesity, not being a little overweight. I was quick to jump on that bandwagon and had some initial success, but like every other new 'fix-it' we see around here, it just comes back to doing the basics.
    I'm doing something a little extreme at the moment at the recommendation of my doctor, which you can read about on my journal. Not that I'm recommending this for you, I have a lot more weight to lose than you.
    Personally, I think calorie restriction is the only way to lose fat. Once you're following Primal and running on fat, you still have to restrict how much you eat to put you in energy deficit, I believe.

Giving away the wine, ice-cream and chocolate would probably be a good place to start though.

Yes, Em, I agree with the idea about calorie restriction. It's always worked in the past. Just can get challenging with the higher fat primal stuff, especially when still sometimes including the less than primal fare alongside (like wine, chocolate and ice cream).

I've had a less than ideal weekend. I've mentioned on and off over the past month that I was having a bit of knee pain, on the outside of my right knee. I've also been kind of tight in the right hip and hamstring, I think I've been compensating with my gait for the knee, and have been having increased discomfort in the right thigh, on the outside, in the hip area. Yesterday it got really bad, as in I had a horrible sleep last night as the only position I could lie in is flat on my back, and every movement woke me up with pain. Pain (worst in the hip area, very tender to touch) is pretty much constant, and I've been alternating hefty dose antiinflammatory with tylenol, and today using ice packs. From some reasearch, I think it's quite likely to be the IT band. Pretty sure I should have it looked at, and get a physio referral. Foam roller is suggested, but I've not done that before, so don't really know what I should be doing, I wonder if a foam pool noodle would work for that?? Anyway, I'll have to put up until Wed, as I'm on a course the next 2 days. I did have a nap this evening, the meds and ice are helping, but it still hurts like a bugger. I feel old.

Eats have been okay, and I made 2 huge pots of soup yesterday to use up more CSA veg: creamy potato for the boys, and more beet soup with greens. Today was chili from the first PB cookbook. Last night I also self medicated with wine.... Only one glass tonight. Hubby offered to pick up son #1 from work (it was my turn) after 11...I think he finally realized that I wasn't in a good place when I went for a nap between 8 and 10pm...so one glass of wine while I ice once again before bed. I hope it is a bit better tomorrow. I went in the hot tub last night thinking it might help, but think it did the opposite. The ice is better.

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    Ouch, I hope you feel better soon.

Suse is offline Senior Member
    oh dear, sorry about the hip/knee pain. The worst thing about pain is that it tends to make you want to eat crap I think.... or at least drink.

Good to hear things are coming along with son#2.

Calorie restriction ... blah. but yeah, I'm going to have to do it too, cut back on the booze and sugary treats I think. dammit. my belly is quite flabby (although it didnt stop me hanging out in a bikini in Vegas )

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks ladies. The hip is feeling a lot better today, but still sore, as is the knee. Sitting at a course all day when I couldn't just get up whenever didn't help, I suppose. I've made a doctor's appointment for Friday (the earliest I could get in, since it's not quite so bad I'm okay with that), if I'm correct on my diagnosis, I will ask for the physio referral.

Today's eats:
    B: black coffee, chili with 3 eggs cooked up in the pan with the warming chili...nice combo, with a smidge of cheddar on top
    a few macadamias around 2pm (left in my bag from the last 2 trips out of town)
    D: chicken breast cooked in the slow cooker with garlic, chicken stock, lemon, fresh rosemary & thyme, beside a large plate of cucumber, garden mini tomatoes, avocado & a tad of feta with a bit of olive oil, celery salt & black pepper. Could have used some bacon
    3 dark chocolate squares, and maybe 10 pecan halves.
    one rum & diet coke

I read trying celery salt on avocado somewhere on the forums (MarthaT's journal, perhaps??), it is a fantastic combination. Try it, if you haven't yet.

Son #2 is out tonight at a big event for teens (under 18s only, which is the legal drinking age here) being held at a nightclub. There have been 3 of these over the summer, apparently "everybody" is there...lots of security and even a police presence, so should be fine. He missed the first one, went to the second when I was at the funeral (son #1 didn't get in...allegedly some pushing and shoving in line, he was ousted before getting in, though his friends got in, he wasn't interested today). He is cabbing home with friends (about 10 min away), I can't be picking him up after midnight on a workday and it's too late for the buses. I'll have an ear open, regardless. I think they're mostly interested in going for all the girls...